ADVERTISEMENT

UK to host Youngstown State in 2022.

It is very clear the UK "OOC schedule strategy" for the foreseeable future is 3 buy wins + UofL. I have no problem with that "strategy" but I am not a season ticket holder.

Peace

It is very clear the UK "OOC schedule strategy" for the foreseeable future is 3 buy wins + UofL. I have no problem with that "strategy" but I am not a season ticket holder.

Peace
As it should be less UL. It is not in our interest to play them in football and the series should be canceled due to the fact u only have a twelve game schedule in football and one game can be huge in determining post season play .
We could play them home and home every year in basketball for all I care but it is not in our interest to play them in football and we should do what is in our interest.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Who knows what our team will look like in 2022, but IMO this is no-win situation for UK.

YSU is upper echelon FCS (in the FCS NC game two years ago), so we’re taking some more risk here playing a historically well coached school with fair talent on their 63 man roster. They are a step up in difficulty IMO from an EKU-type program that gave us a tough game just a couple of years ago.

If we win .... “Well we should beat a FCS team.” If we lose.....catastrophic for UK’s progression.

If we’re going to play FCS, we should keep the money in state with KY schools which are more easily winnable matchups.

Otherwise, let’s play non-P5 FBS or lower level P5, but do not play teams like YSU, NDSU, JMU, etc.

A lot can happen in 4 years, is this game contingent on Stoops still being HC?

I get the purpose of adding the ooc cupcake games, but Id love to add an actual P5 lower ranked conf team. Miss the series with IU tbh.

Who knows what our team will look like in 2022, but IMO this is no-win situation for UK.

YSU is upper echelon FCS (in the FCS NC game two years ago), so we’re taking some more risk here playing a historically well coached school with fair talent on their 63 man roster. They are a step up in difficulty IMO from an EKU-type program that gave us a tough game just a couple of years ago.

If we win .... “Well we should beat a FCS team.” If we lose.....catastrophic for UK’s progression.

If we’re going to play FCS, we should keep the money in state with KY schools which are more easily winnable matchups.

Otherwise, let’s play non-P5 FBS or lower level P5, but do not play teams like YSU, NDSU, JMU, etc.
This may be the most pathetic thing I have ever read on here..,

As it should be less UL. It is not in our interest to play them in football and the series should be canceled due to the fact u only have a twelve game schedule in football and one game can be huge in determining post season play .
We could play them home and home every year in basketball for all I care but it is not in our interest to play them in football and we should do what is in our interest.

Agreed.

Also keep in mind that there’s been talk of a 9 game SEC schedule.

Nah.

I think we should keep playing them because in a couple of years we should be beating them every year, like we do in basketball now.

And their football program should have taken as big a hit as their basketball program just did ------but then we do still have the incompetent NCAA in charge.

I look forward to the UL game every year, probably more so than any other game on our schedule. We have a great chance to beat them each year we play, if it were an tOSU or someone we are talking about where we don't have a good chance to compete with them ok, quit playing but if you want warm bodies in the seats you gotta play some challenging teams. I am a season ticket holder but if we ever go the route of eliminating all of our ooc challenges I doubt I would continue to pay for the season tickets.

This may be the most pathetic thing I have ever read on here..,

To be fair, UK hasn't exactly handled FCS opponents easily the last few years (besides the win over the worst FCS program at the time (Austin Peay)). Even this past season we struggled with EKU so I for one am not going to just assume a win over these schools until our team proves otherwise.

Can't he afraid of lousiville in any sport. If you can't.beat Louisville forget about doing much in sec.

Reactions: law1127
I get wanting the easier OOC games when you have a tough conference schedule. It's as close to guaranteeing a win as you can get, UGA plays 2-3 of them every year. But with the always increasing cost of attending games, tickets, eats, travel and with the cost of large screen HD TVs getting to the point of costing less than attending one game schools have got to realize they need to do more for the fans experience than say we have a game. a few years back GT was giving free lunches to the Varsity, for those who don't know it's an Atlanta landmark across I-75 from Tech, because of empty seats and Grant Field only holds 55k. Plus they were offering 3 game "mini" season tickets at the cost of 1 game. That stopped because the visiting teams were buying them all up for their game and no showing the other 2, creating more empty seats.

But at some point schools will have tons of empty seats playing those weak OOC games, unless it's the opener, TV has more than made up for the lost revenue, but as some point I wouldn't be shocked if they start offering less TV money for that type game, other than a UGA fan who wants to watch UGA play Austin Peay when Oklahoma is playing tOSU on a different station. UK may have been ahead of the masses in reducing seating, I read AU is also considering losing a few thousand seats and installing more suits. Schools can't just keep raising the price to attend and not put the best product they can on the field.

To be fair, UK hasn't exactly handled FCS opponents easily the last few years (besides the win over the worst FCS program at the time (Austin Peay)). Even this past season we struggled with EKU so I for one am not going to just assume a win over these schools until our team proves otherwise.
Aren't those truths pathetic?

Well we reduced that issue by cutting now KF capacity ~ 6K. So in '17 only had 10K unsold against EM & 5K against EKU & LV. Smart.

It seems to be a coming trend.. Michigan with the huge alumni base is having issues selling out their stadium, so if schools don't want their stadiums looking like NASCAR events, making the seats bigger and having a smaller capacity seems like a smart move. UT could make their seats normal size and seat about 85k instead of the gaudy number they have it would create a much better fan experience, no one likes feeling like a sardine.

Reactions: The-Hack and gojvc
It is not just a weak OOC issue, it is "losing the younger fan" issue as well, if not more so. In just 7 years, Lexington has gone from 296,000 residents to estimated 318,000, no telling how much it has grown since 1990 or so (without looking it up anyway), but yet our stadium is now 10-15% smaller, but still can't sell it out more than once a year. I bet ticket cost has risen exponentially in that time period as well, cut the ticket prices back to max of $50 each (all in, including K Fund donations, which are no longer even deductible) and see what happens to attendance.

Reactions: The-Hack
Will Pelini even be coaching there still in 2022? He could find himself back at an FBS school at some point.

Will Pelini even be coaching there still in 2022? He could find himself back at an FBS school at some point.
He probably ain’t looking so bad anymore to the Nebraska people at the point. They may have their man now though. We’ll see.

It is not just a weak OOC issue, it is "losing the younger fan" issue as well, if not more so. In just 7 years, Lexington has gone from 296,000 residents to estimated 318,000, no telling how much it has grown since 1990 or so (without looking it up anyway), but yet our stadium is now 10-15% smaller, but still can't sell it out more than once a year. I bet ticket cost has risen exponentially in that time period as well, cut the ticket prices back to max of $50 each (all in, including K Fund donations, which are no longer even deductible) and see what happens to attendance.

Younger fans just don't get too excited about football or athletics in general, many wouldn't even go to home games when they were still students, maybe I should have said alumni instead of students. On a sidenote, UGA has a fan who has attended every home and bowl game since he returned from WW!!, in his mid 90's now, still has season tickets and says he will be in the stands opening kickoff. Of course we have asshats who say he should give up his tickets to someone who is willing to stand and cheer the entire game. I don't know, but I would guess UGA makes special arrangements for him to get in.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Aren't those truths pathetic?

It is when the best you can do is beat two out of the four OOC foes two years in a row, one indication of how far SOMEONE drove our football program down in the mud.

But that might have been the little green men also.

A lot can happen in 4 years, is this game contingent on Stoops still being HC?

I get the purpose of adding the ooc cupcake games, but Id love to add an actual P5 lower ranked conf team. Miss the series with IU tbh.

Get rid of ul and we could.

Even this past season we struggled with EKU so I for one am not going to just assume a win over these schools until our team proves otherwise.

But oddly, with an impressive list of major teams/programs who have dropped games to FCS teams, (Michigan, Florida, South Carolina, etc., etc.) we aren't on that list yet.

our hoops team seems to get lots of young people, football not so much!

Hmmmmm. There were plenty of games well short of a sellout at Rupp Arena, this and recent seasons. Plus with 8 banners hanging, it [roundball] is a more natural draw, even though an old football fan like me hates to acknowledge it, sometimes.

I keep hoping that at some point we'll play a real non-con opponent (beyond Louisville), but I doubt that will ever be the case under current management. Not asking to schedule Notre Dame (though Vanderbilt is playing them this year). The Indiana series wasn't the Iron Bowl, but it was fun, competitive ... and usually a guaranteed sellout at Commonwealth.

What was the last moderately interesting game we scheduled: the Temple game (that we backed out of)?

Nah.

I think we should keep playing them because in a couple of years we should be beating them every year, like we do in basketball now.

And their football program should have taken as big a hit as their basketball program just did ------but then we do still have the incompetent NCAA in charge.

The FBI put them on probation in bb, NOT the incompetent NCAA.

I keep hoping that at some point we'll play a real non-con opponent (beyond Louisville), but I doubt that will ever be the case under current management. Not asking to schedule Notre Dame (though Vanderbilt is playing them this year). The Indiana series wasn't the Iron Bowl, but it was fun, competitive ... and usually a guaranteed sellout at Commonwealth.

What was the last moderately interesting game we scheduled: the Temple game (that we backed out of)?
I fully understand the "buy an OOC win" thinking but I personally do not understand why the Cats cannot occasionally add another "lower end" OOC P5 opponent (i.e., IU, IA St, KS, MD, Duke, WF, Tx Tech, Baylor, Pitt, etc. to name just a few. Ideally you set up return visits to their place (edit) in the years you host UofL. There is just a name appeal to such opponents even though there are always better, more dangerous opponents in some of the non-P5 conferences.

FWIW (little), in addition to UK, UofL has scheduled another OOC P5 team in 3 of the last 4 years and in 6 of the next 8 years. In 2023 they play IU in Indy, ND @ home and @ UK.

Other than UofL, the last what we now call a P5 team the Cats scheduled was IU in 2005. That was the last year of the 11 game regular season schedule. JMO

Peace

Last edited:
FWIW (little), in addition to UK, UofL has scheduled another OOC P5 team in 3 of the last 4 years and in 6 of the next 8 years. In 2023 they play IU in Indy, ND @ home and @ UK.
Well, the ND game is an agreement between them & the ACC. But your point is still valid to me.

As a season ticket holder I would love to see us add a quality opponent to our home schedule but if you told me that would cost us a bowl game say one of three years, not sure how I feel then. I enjoy going to the bowls! Ideally we would be at a point that it wouldn't cost us a bowl but even then sometimes it would cost us a higher quality bowl! So I don't know what we should do.

Reactions: jauk11
I fully understand the "buy an OOC win" thinking but I personally do not understand why the Cats cannot occasionally add another "lower end" OOC P5 opponent (i.e., IU, IA St, KS, MD, Duke, WF, Tx Tech, Baylor, Pitt, etc. to name just a few. Ideally you set up return visits in the years you host UofL. There is just a name appeal to such opponents even though there are always better, more dangerous opponents in some of the non-P5 conferences.

Other than UofL, the last what we now call a P5 team the Cats scheduled was IU in 2005. That was the last year of the 11 game regular season schedule. JMO

Peace

We will have to wait for 2023 to see how wise (or unwise) your schedule will be then, jurich will have been gone for five years and hurtt is never coming back, and who knows where BP will be without jurich, there is a reason a lot of your coaches are crying in their beer since jurich left-----er, got fired. I think he will be lucky if he doesn't end up with criminal charges filed against him, AND some of your coaches.

Let's see, probably another loss to ND AND UK then, and who knows when Indiana will wake up and recognize that football is the money cow. Hell, it took well over a decade and we went through hell but even mitch finally woke up------or got woke up.

If UK had scheduled any of the teams you mentioned since 2010 how many more losses would we have now, didn't we lose enough already? Several of those teams have had some pretty good teams lately.

Plus that is a familiar list, how many other P5 programs are begging them for a date, and how many more losses do they want on their record? Believe it or not, Indiana has been around longer that Transfer U, has more alumni AND money probably, and are probably about as tired of being everybodies whipping boy as UK fans were before the strike. Although it seems like a lot of UK fans have a very short memory, nothing bad happened in the TEN YEARS before the strike, NO major improvements by UK football in a decade.

Last edited:
No they were placed on probation for things completely unrelated to the FBI probe.

Right, too many atrocities to keep up with. But the $100,000 payout to the recruit certainly didn't help anything, AND jurich's coaches have survived several other things no other school would have tolerated, it might have had some influence.

Lol, let's comfortably be bowl eligible for 2-3 years in a row, then see who were scheduling for 2025..

But other than that we have Miami ohio and eastern michigan.. we could do a lot worse I guess.

I did like the Indiana series ...even saw a 3-0 slugfest. [roll] but we also must realize they have a winning record against us. Which is sad..and would only take 1 win to even it up and 2 to take the lead.

Reactions: jauk11
Those complaining about candy scheduling Norte dame, or so and so school playing a big name. Most of the time they are still playing three weak OOC and one power five. It’s hard for us to do that with the built in natural rivalry in UOFL shot fits the requirements of an additional lower five school.

Miss state under Mullen in his entire career there played three power fives in regular season in nine years. How many people used the stat of him going to a bowl every year when mentioned for Florida job. 4 OOC cupcakes and only having a winning sec record once landed him a very nice gig and made miss state a respectable program again.

Reactions: jauk11 and RV2
ADVERTISEMENT