ADVERTISEMENT

UK may be headed to a more 'traditional' model. We'll see...

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
...if all the people bitching and whining that Cal 'only' reaches the Elite Eight or Final Four with superstar one-and-dones like it.

What I mean is that from what I've seen of the incoming class, except Diallo, they are players who will need a couple years to develop fully. Add SKJ and Gabriel and Hump, who are still developing, and it may not all come together next year. It could be one of those 8-seed out the first weekend years that almost every other program endures much more often than Kentucky.

Then, with a couple key pick-ups in the 18-19 class, Kentucky might be a Final Four threat again, with a mix of senior, junior, sophomore and freshmen 5-stars who were very good but not lottery good.

So, would that be more satisfying to those whimpering and crying today that Cal will never win it all again with freshman lottery picks? Somehow, I doubt it.

i'm thinking next year has better chance to final four than this year.

I said it before UCLA game that i think next year will end better than this year. I was also confident that we would beat UCLA too.

...if all the people bitching and whining that Cal 'only' reaches the Elite Eight or Final Four with superstar one-and-dones like it.

What I mean is that from what I've seen of the incoming class, except Diallo, they are players who will need a couple years to develop fully. Add SKJ and Gabriel and Hump, who are still developing, and it may not all come together next year. It could be one of those 8-seed out the first weekend years that almost every other program endures much more often than Kentucky.

Then, with a couple key pick-ups in the 18-19 class, Kentucky might be a Final Four threat again, with a mix of senior, junior, sophomore and freshmen 5-stars who were very good but not lottery good.

So, would that be more satisfying to those whimpering and crying today that Cal will never win it all again with freshman lottery picks? Somehow, I doubt it.

I don't mean this to sound condescending but you are making the mistake of thinking kids shouldn't leave until they are developed. That's just not how it goes anymore. Now it's all about potential, the NBA (and Cal) will take care of the developmental part.

Reactions: wildcatglenn

So you have just said ether way cal won't win another title.

I don't see it. If his next class doesn't have a lot of high draft picks it's because the class overall is weak or Cal couldn't get any who might be at that highest level. He hasn't changed anything.

Reactions: brianpoe
I hope SKJ, Humphrey and Wenyen comeback.
I was just thinking about this today and I believe all will be back. Would be nice to see some solid development out of each during the off season. If Nazr Mohammed can make a major transformation these kids are capable of doing the same. Not saying it'll happen but would be nice if just one really improved their game.

So Kentucky is likely looking at -
Returners:
Briscoe
Diallo - EDIT
Gabriel
Humphries
Killeya-Jones
Wynyard

Incomers:
Vanderbilt
Green
Alexander
Richards
Washington

If Briscoe were to leave, wouldn't y'all be pretty slim in the backcourt? I'm assuming there's another guy or two out there y'all are keeping tabs on in the late signing period, or Cal will be very active in the grad transfer market.

EDIT - Forgot Diallo.

Last edited:
Returners:
Briscoe
Gabriel
Humphries
Killeya-Jones
Wynyard

Incomers:
Vanderbilt
Green
Alexander
Richards
Washington

If Briscoe were to leave, wouldn't y'all be pretty slim in the backcourt? I'm assuming there's another guy or two out there y'all are keeping tabs on in the late signing period, or Cal will be very active in the grad transfer market.

Diallo in the backcourt. Still in on a guard or two but yes we will prob be thin at guard next year.

The flaw with your premise is that "traditional" programs have players coming in all the time. They don't have the "8 seed" year because the cubbard is never bare. Having returning players provides stability but you have to do it every year.

Reactions: BoxterS
Returners:
Briscoe
Gabriel
Humphries
Killeya-Jones
Wynyard

Incomers:
Vanderbilt
Green
Alexander
Richards
Washington

We also have Diallo.

Reactions: GermantownDawg
Returners:
Briscoe
Gabriel
Humphries
Killeya-Jones
Wynyard

Incomers:
Vanderbilt
Green
Alexander
Richards
Washington

We have Diallo as well who is sitting out this semester. A top 10 player who is a SG. From all reports his shot is looking much better and his athleticism is prob as good as any player we have had and that is saying something.

Reactions: GermantownDawg
Diallo, Bamba, Knox, Vanderbilt--Not all have signed yet, but I fully expect all to be capable of going in the first round of the 2018 draft.

I know you want to believe that we won't be losing everyone, but it's time to accept reality. This is the model we're using for the foreseeable future.

i'm thinking next year has better chance to final four than this year.

I said it before UCLA game that i think next year will end better than this year. I was also confident that we would beat UCLA too.
If wg and hump stay, along with potential contributors skj and wynyard, who knows.
Next year will always look bright as long as cal is here.

I agree 100%. Should have some turnover to go with studs like Bagley and hopefully Langford

uh, no...What I said was Kentucky may have a Sweet 16 ceiling next year, without three lottery level freshmen...THen have a team more like Kansas or UNC the year after, with more upper classmen. That kind of team, coached by Cal, could certainly win it all.
Three of the players that have signed are projected in the 2018 draft at 14, 16 and 17.

OP....except that you are wrong. This is a loaded class. Loaded. It may end up being his best ever. Im trying to guess if you are kidding around or being serious. Cant be serious because then I would question if you are on crack. lol.
This is a #1 class. Loaded. And SKJ or Hump, one will be gone.....seriously, your joking right? lol. I thought so, because no way on earth you could be that lost. Add bamba and Knox to this class which we will add 1 at least and its his best ever. Sorry man, didnt mean to be disrespectful, it just took me a minute to realize that you were kidding and no way you were that stupid. lol
All good bro. I got you now!

OP....except that you are wrong. This is a loaded class. Loaded. It may end up being his best ever. Im trying to guess if you are kidding around or being serious. Cant be serious because then I would question if you are on crack. lol.
This is a #1 class. Loaded. And SKJ or Hump, one will be gone.....seriously, your joking right? lol. I thought so, because no way on earth you could be that lost. Add bamba and Knox to this class which we will add 1 at least and its his best ever. Sorry man, didnt mean to be disrespectful, it just took me a minute to realize that you were kidding and no way you were that stupid. lol
All good bro. I got you now!

No. To everything you said.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Cal has recruited guys he thought would be 3-4 year players, it's just that most of them think they are OAD and either go pro after one or two years, or end up transferring out because they can't see the floor.

I think he wants to do a mix-and-match of upperclassmen and super stud OAD's, it's just difficult to get guys willing to stick around and sacrifice PT for 2-3 years before they finally get their chance.

I'd have to agree with OP, Diallo and Bamba (if we even sign him) are the only guys we are adding that look like OADs even based on potential.

Green is a little taller than Ulis, but he's very slight of frame right now. He would need to add a lot of weight and strength and prove to be an elite leader, shooter, playmaker to just go first round after two years.

Vanderbilt is a great, versatile athlete and is basically a taller Liggins right now. His best hope of making the NBA would be to develop a reliable jumper and prove to be an elite defender. Again, I don't know if he's there yet, but based upon McDAA game reports, it sounds like the jumper is still a work in progress.

PJ Washington is another role player type guy who - who I think may not be able to stand out enough in year one to get drafted, he's Randle-lite right now - but with added strength, better shooting etc. could be a first rounder.

This is the type of group you could add a couple of superstars too in 2018 - Bagley, Langford for example - and really have something.

Don't forget Cal is coaching the USA U19 team this Summer. Should give him a nice recruiting boost. Wonder who all makes the team? ;)

Reactions: ukfan041
I'd have to agree with OP, Diallo and Bamba (if we even sign him) are the only guys we are adding that look like OADs even based on potential.

Green is a little taller than Ulis, but he's very slight of frame right now. He would need to add a lot of weight and strength and prove to be an elite leader, shooter, playmaker to just go first round after two years.

Vanderbilt is a great, versatile athlete and is basically a taller Liggins right now. His best hope of making the NBA would be to develop a reliable jumper and prove to be an elite defender. Again, I don't know if he's there yet, but based upon McDAA game reports, it sounds like the jumper is still a work in progress.

PJ Washington is another role player type guy who - who I think may not be able to stand out enough in year one to get drafted, he's Randle-lite right now - but with added strength, better shooting etc. could be a first rounder.

This is the type of group you could add a couple of superstars too in 2018 - Bagley, Langford for example - and really have something.

The problem with your opinion is you are using too much logic.:grimace:

lmao!! Wow you couldnt be more off on your view. PJ Washington will be the best player in this class. He is very strong and was a key member averaging a double double for team USA. He is a lock to start. You gotta be kidding me that you think he is a role player.

Green is alot stronger than Tyler Ulis and strength is overrated. Look at Isaiah Thomas for Boston and Tyler Ulis and the NBA MVP Steph Curry. You still think Green needs to get stronger?

Vanderbilt has a silky smooth jumper. If you read the reports you will see that they are BRAGGING about his shot. Seriously ,man. He has a video right now on KSR showing a series of defensive playes where he makes a deflection, a block a steal a rebound all in one clip.

This class is loaded. And its loaded with championship caliber players. long 6'-6" to 6'-8" athletes. Thats what we need
I would guess one of Vanderbilt or Washington will leave after a year. if we get Bamba you would think Richards would stay 2 years.
That could still be a lineup of Green, Freshman SG, Washington/Vanderbilt, Bagley, Richards.

It's not the worst way to go. So next year has some bumps.. maybe more losses than this year (although I see no reason to believe that).. but then re retain guys like Washington, Alexander, Vanderbilt, Hump.. probably a few more.. And we make a strong push in 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT