ADVERTISEMENT

UK has the look of an 8-9 seed

FishersBlue

All-American
Feb 9, 2005
Very similar to 2014. This group doesn't have a Randle type...thought Knox might be that guy but he's not.

Not sure the Cats get another road win. I can see 21-12 or 22-10 heading into the NCAA. Just not seeing enough skill (let alone experience) to have a high ceiling.

Question is with everyone healthy can they make a run like the 2014 team?

People can chill if they want but bad losses pile up like this and you could very well be looking at the 8-9 referenced here.

This team can be dangerous if they ever jointly decide to care

Reactions: kev69
We look like a 8-9 seed with the team that played today. Get back our no-shows, get more PT for Vanderbilt, and we should do better.

But if we go 21-12 or 22-10 like you say, that's 6-8 more losses with 13 games to play. We'd be lucky to make the Tourney with that resume.

Reactions: DanHalen88
Can we wait to judge the team when we get everyone back? Vanderbilt just got started and we were missing three other players. One of them is our starting point guard.
We lost a road game with a short handed team. Chill out.
Losing on the road with key guys missing is not the end of the world. But blowing a 14 pt lead, hitting just 1 3 pointer, missing FTs. Those are more indicative of the roster...skill and inexperience. I do think Vanderbilt being healthy raises the ceiling.

Big game Saturday. Hopefully Vanderbilt and Green play and we get a sense of what a full roster can do.

Reactions: brianpoe and kev69
Very similar to 2014. This group doesn't have a Randle type...thought Knox might be that guy but he's not.

Not sure the Cats get another road win. I can see 21-12 or 22-10 heading into the NCAA. Just not seeing enough skill (let alone experience) to have a high ceiling.

Road games remaining: Missouri, Texas A&m, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, West VA. Not sure I feel good about any of those.

Road games remaining: Missouri, Texas A&m, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, West VA. Not sure I feel good about any of those.

Yea. Sad thing is, I would be happy going 3-3 in those. Team has 10 losses written all over them. They been playing with fire all year - could easily have 6-7 losses already.

They just aren’t very good.

Can we wait to judge the team when we get everyone back? Vanderbilt just got started and we were missing three other players. One of them is our starting point guard.

This! Tell me what this team looks like in a month and a half.

You could be right. I don't see us finishing with fewer than 10 losses because I have a feeling there's gonna ve a few more brutal Tuesday nights. All isnt lost though. But ...

WE HAVE TO GO 9-0 AT HOME IN SEC PLAY.

Hope for at least 4-5 in the road. So far we're 2-0 at home and 2-2 on the road. We've yet to play great in a conference game. Hopefully we can get healthy and this thing will click.

I try not to criticize players, but I don't think it's unfair to say Hami needs to concern himself more with making the correct play instead of trying to get on SCTop10 every time he touches the ball. Great athlete but needs to improve his decision making on the fastbreak.

You could be right. I don't see us finishing with fewer than 10 losses because I have a feeling there's gonna ve a few more brutal Tuesday nights. All isnt lost though. But ...

WE HAVE TO GO 9-0 AT HOME IN SEC PLAY.

Hope for at least 4-5 in the road. So far we're 2-0 at home and 2-2 on the road. We've yet to play great in a conference game. Hopefully we can get healthy and this thing will click.

I try not to criticize players, but I don't think it's unfair to say Hami needs to concern himself more with making the correct play instead of trying to get on SCTop10 every time he touches the ball. Great athlete but needs to improve his decision making on the fastbreak.
This is the post of the night imo.

Reactions: crpoore
The SEC schedule for Kentucky is very weird.. we had 4 of 6 games on the road, and then 4 of 5 at home, and then the last batch a little more leaning towards road games..

Kentucky will have those bunch of home games to grow with JV back in the mix, and I doubt they will lose more than 1 if any at all. That will get us back to the 20-range in rank. Then we just have to hope the SEC doesn't bone us too bad on the road.

SECT will be neutral games and we'll make it to the finale.. then 4 or 5 seed in the tournament.

Disappointing night but we win without the rape whistle OR if Quade Green plays.

I'm actually more optimistic than I've been all season and I'm far from a sunshine pumper. Vanderbilt's back and will ease his way into the rotation and Green coming back fills a huge void. It'd be nice to have Wynyard to throw in there for spot minutes; especially a night like tonight where the referees blatantly determined the outcome of the game.

Anyway, it was clear as day early in the season this team was going to struggle on the road, no matter who the opponent was. We haven't had the depth and toughness to win those types of games, but I think it'll eventually come. Sweep the home games (which we will) and one or two the road and we're looking at something like 23-9 heading into the SEC. I didn't expect much better than that coming into the season. Hopefully get a 6 seed or better in the tournament and I'll take my chances with this team.

Last time we were an 8 seed we got to the title game. Regardless of what happens between now and March, nobody is gonna want to play us in the tournament wether we’re an 8 seed or a 3 seed.
I've never understood why it's acceptable with how much we pay Cal to be an 8 seed or hope to be a 6 seed or higher going into the tournament. Regardless if we made a run last time we were an 8 or not, we should not be putting our hopes on making a miraculous run in the tournament every year. We have been hoping for a run with Cal more times than we have been one of the teams favored to win it all. We should be the 1-2 seed team more than we are "no one would want to see us in their bracket" low seed team that's hoping to get through the tournament on upsets. If no one cares about the regular season, then why have it? It wasn't acceptable when Tubby had us being an 8 seed in the tournament and it shouldn't be with Cal. An 8 seed for a blue blood program like ours is embarrassing. If I saw other teams like Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc constantly getting lower seeds I would think they were having major problems.

The whole thing with freshmen not fighting or under performing because their young is getting old too. Every year we say this and yet there are other top freshmen in the country performing great and not making anywhere near the mistakes or having lack of effort that our guys do. They are on scholarship to play basketball, they shouId be held to higher standards. If someone is on an academic scholarship and fail a couple classes freshman year, they dont get a pass for being young. They are held to higher standards and expected to keep a certain GPA. I have loved Kentucky basketball for all 32 yeae of my life and still do but I will not sugar coat and never will anything with any team of ours. I am not one of those people that think a loss is great or think it doesn't matter if our team is 3-27 (being sarcastic) but say if we win the SECT lookout for us in March. We have a guy getting payed more than anyone else in college basketball to basically scrap by and get in the tournament and basically gamble on whether they can go deep or not.

Reactions: kyboy1998
I've never understood why it's acceptable with how much we pay Cal to be an 8 seed or hope to be a 6 seed or higher going into the tournament. Regardless if we made a run last time we were an 8 or not, we should not be putting our hopes on making a miraculous run in the tournament every year. We have been hoping for a run with Cal more times than we have been one of the teams favored to win it all. We should be the 1-2 seed team more than we are "no one would want to see us in their bracket" low seed team that's hoping to get through the tournament on upsets. If no one cares about the regular season, then why have it? It wasn't acceptable when Tubby had us being an 8 seed in the tournament and it shouldn't be with Cal. An 8 seed for a blue blood program like ours is embarrassing. If I saw other teams like Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc constantly getting lower seeds I would think they were having major problems.

The whole thing with freshmen not fighting or under performing because their young is getting old too. Every year we say this and yet there are other top freshmen in the country performing great and not making anywhere near the mistakes or having lack of effort that our guys do. They are on scholarship to play basketball, they shouId be held to higher standards. If someone is on an academic scholarship and fail a couple classes freshman year, they dont get a pass for being young. They are held to higher standards and expected to keep a certain GPA. I have loved Kentucky basketball for all 32 yeae of my life and still do but I will not sugar coat and never will anything with any team of ours. I am not one of those people that think a loss is great or think it doesn't matter if our team is 3-27 (being sarcastic) but say if we win the SECT lookout for us in March. We have a guy getting payed more than anyone else in college basketball to basically scrap by and get in the tournament and basically gamble on whether they can go deep or not.

This is a stupid opinion, but let me present you with the facts since it’s clear you have no damn clue what you’re talking about. Since Cal has been here, we’ve been a 1 seed three times (‘10, ‘12, ‘15), a 2 seed once (‘17), and a 4 seed twice (‘11, ‘16). So in 6 of his 8 years, Cal has had us as a low seed, and those years we were 4 seeds were bogus because we should’ve been 2s or 3s in both at the very least. 2014 we were way overseeded as an 8 seed too. We probably should have been a 5. That just destroys your complaint about “being the low seed more than being the team that nobody will want to play.”

Also, with Tubby’s teams, we all knew there wasn’t a chance in hell they were going to make a tournament run. We had teams full of upperclassmen who were MAC level players at best. I’ll take the superstar freshmen who are probably going to lose a few regular season games knowing that in the tournament they’re going to be a force nobody wants to deal with. And spare me the bullshit about Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina. Kansas has only been to 1 Final Four since Cal has been at UK. In that 8 year time span the Jayhawks have either been a 1 or a 2 seed each season and in 4 of those years they were bounced out before the Elite 8. Duke has the extra title over us, but they also lost to Lehigh as a 2 seed and Mercer as a 3 seed in the first rounds, not to mention getting blasted by South Carolina in the second round as a 2 seed last year when they were one of the favorites to cut the nets down. In 6 of Calipari’s 8 seasons, we’ve gotten to the Elite 8 or further. Calipari is paid to make Final Fours and compete for National Titles, which he has done more often than not since he’s been in Lexington. This team is 14-4 (4-2). Took a tough loss at SC but it happens. I don’t give a rats ass what seed we are in the tournament because there are only 3 or 4 teams tops who can match us talent-wise each year and when Cal gets them playing as a team they’re always incredibly tough to beat.

Their is not a dominant guy like Randle on this team. But how many teams do have a guy like that, 10 maybe 15. Certainly not 30 or 40.
And I too have compared (since the summer) this team to the 14 team. But that team did not deserve an 8 seed, they should have gotten more like a 6. And this team won't get an 8-9 seed.
This team has a lot of talent. Actually in one way this team is similar to the 15 team, in that there is not a huge difference between 1 and 9 (or at least 1 & 8). So while there may not be that guy, or at least the same guy every game, that you can go to for a basket, there is likely to be 5 good choices on the floor for a basket. Each of these 9 guys brings something different to the table. There were a lot of things going against us last night (USC is one of the tougher road arenas to play in, we often seem to get the short end of calls there, we were trying to work in for his 1st game a new player, we have one of our only 3 guards still hurt, it was a tightly called game w/ 59 fouls turning it into a FT shooting contest).

Are we the favorite? No.
Are we one of the favorites? probably No
Are we a contender, one of the teams capable of winning 6 in a row? Yes.
Have we reached our ceiling? No.

We look like a 8-9 seed with the team that played today. Get back our no-shows, get more PT for Vanderbilt, and we should do better.

But if we go 21-12 or 22-10 like you say, that's 6-8 more losses with 13 games to play. We'd be lucky to make the Tourney with that resume.

I would have to agree that a 21-12 UK team with no signature wins and losing 8 of our last 13 would be lucky to get in unless we won the SEC tournament but we sure wouldn't be an 8 seed. Now Duke on the other hand would probably be a 1 seed with that resume.

Three other players? Green and who else?

I hope you’re not counting Baker, he’s not going to play this season.

Reactions: crpoore
Everyone needs to back off the ledge. UK will be fine once they get everyone back and healthy. No need to panic. I see a good finish to this season if everyone gets healthy and Vanderbilt gets more experience.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Highly possible, even likely, we lose 6 more, 5 being SEC games and another to WVU. Tack on one more in the SEC tournament probably. Not sure a 7 conference loss, (11 overall) team is going to get a seed to work with. What will our best wins be? Even if we're playing well post season time, we've learned that means nothing when it comes to seeding. We roll through that SEC tournament and it won't make a diff. We'll still get a bad setup for the NCAA tournament no matter the seed. Now we lose a few more than expected above and we're in real trouble.

Is this what UK has become? We lose games and just hope we are dangerous come March? Sorry, but I don't trust the seeding committee to put us in anything but a difficult path and I'm smart enough to not lean on 2014 as some reason not to worry. That was a miracle run with miracle shots. Not happening again. Not with this team.

People can chill if they want but bad losses pile up like this and you could very well be looking at the 8-9 referenced here.

This team can be dangerous if they ever jointly decide to care

"Start to care" is such a convenient and non-analytical way that old men use to talk about play that they don't like coming from their team.

You should check out Mark Cuban making Skip Bayless look like an idiot for saying the same blanket things. If you think these Kentucky kids don't care then you're an idiot. They're pouring out guts every night, but they're so damn young that it doesn't always click.

Did UNC have the look of a 12 seed losing to Wofford at home? Just wondering.

"Start to care" is such a convenient and non-analytical way that old men use to talk about play that they don't like coming from their team.

You should check out Mark Cuban making Skip Bayless look like an idiot for saying the same blanket things. If you think these Kentucky kids don't care then you're an idiot. They're pouring out guts every night, but they're so damn young that it doesn't always click.

Or maybe it’s a message board and I invest less time than you do articulating a point because this isn’t my effing job. Maybe you have less going on in your life to let you analyze your hobbies

I think you are wrong.

The problem may be that Cal has players that don't want to change.

I mean, we have to change to get better. For example, we had a player suit up last night that played with a lot of energy but lacked the focus that college ball demands. He is young, he needs to change how he thinks about the game and rest will follow. I see right now, as growth spurts. As anybody knows, growth spurts hurt sometimes. We will get better. The question in my mind is, will our opponents also continue to get the better.

ADVERTISEMENT