ADVERTISEMENT

UK down 6 points to Florida with 1 Minute left......

Ball on the Gator 2 yard line with 3 timeouts left(lol). What do you do? I line up Benny in the Wildcat and run him every down.
Benny is good, but he isn't invincible. In a critical situation that sets the tone for your season, too much risk involved trying to run the football against a good run defense that would be expecting Benny. So you fake a dive by Benny and then throw a play action pass to Conrad who runs a simple route into the end zone after rubbing a block. This is how good NFL teams score in that situation. If executed properly, it's nearly impossible to defend.

Last edited:
While I have a lot of faith in snell, lining up in a traditional offense, although a heavy set would be a good option as well. With our depth at TE, and the threat of QB run, along with a few receivers who must be accounted for, it helps open up things for snell and makes us much less one dimensional and tougher to defend. No reason to put all our eggs in one basket as I also have a lot of faith in Gran, Hinshaw, our Oline and athletes.

BlueDecade is correct. Nice call.

While I have a lot of faith in snell, lining up in a traditional offense, although a heavy set would be a good option as well. With our depth at TE, and the threat of QB run, along with a few receivers who must be accounted for, it helps open up things for snell and makes us much less one dimensional and tougher to defend. No reason to put all our eggs in one basket as I also have a lot of faith in Gran, Hinshaw, our Oline and athletes.

I am totally OK with this as well as long as we run it 4 times lol. I should have clarified that in my OP.

Ball on the Gator 2 yard line with 3 timeouts left(lol). What do you do? I line up Benny in the Wildcat and run him every down.
That sounds pretty much like Higgs' 4 rushes from the 5 yard line vs. TN back in '87. Since this situation is theoretical a lot would depend on what has happened up to that point. How has the run game been up to that point?

Wildcat set definitely signals what is coming and allows another middle defender to cheat deep in the box. Snell definitely gets a carry, maybe 2, but I think somewhere you go with the QB off the fake to the RB. JMO.

Peace

Reactions: BlueTick2
Totally apples for oranges due to offensive set, BUT Pete Carroll thought throwing the ball was wise as well, and look at how that turned out lmao. I dont like SJ's short passing game enough.
Poor analogy. Pete Carroll made a good play call that was defeated by an absolutely superstar defensive play by Malcolm Butler. Butler wedged himself in front of Ricardo Lockette and ripped the football away. Perfect defensive break on the ball and positioning for the INT. ESPN called it a "sports miracle". Have you seen the replay? 8-9 times out of 10, that play scores a TD. But that pass was thrown by Russell Wilson in the middle of the field. In the scenario described in the OP, I would have Conrad rub a block and run "out" in the end zone toward the right sideline, receiving the pass in the open flat. I will give you the concern about SJ's short passing skills. But judging by the UL game, he is improving.

Same mistake Claiborne made with Higgs. Reason UK has lost so many big games was being too conservative.

Same mistake Claiborne made with Higgs. Reason UK has lost so many big games was being too conservative.
It's a mental game. Playing and coaching scared causes conservative play calls when you should be aggressive, and causes aggressive play calls when you should be conservative. The most important thing Snell does for our offense is to create a dangerous running threat that must be respected by the defense on every down. That running threat, and the respect the defense must show it, creates game changing opportunities for our passing game. The only reason we used so much wildcat last year was because Gran understood SJ's limitations at the time. Our success in 2017 depends on SJ improving as a passer. SJ's performance against UL showed his ceiling as a P5 quarterback. Now he must play closer to his ceiling much more consistently. Just the normal amount of improvement in his 2nd year working with Coach Hinshaw should make it happen for him. Should. So I don't expect to see as much wildcat this year. There will be some wildcat, but not as much. We should see a much more versatile passing attack, also a dominant running game.

Reactions: jauk11
I agree with Blue Decade, though I might run the dive for Snell on 1st figuring (1) it works or, (2) I just set the table for working off the dive fake on 2nd. I am throwing to a TE over the middle, or Baker, Richardson, or Ross on a corner, or letting the QB boot out away from the fake.

If you can't pound it in, after 3 tries, it's probably futile to try it on 4th. The most likely play that they could score on at the point would be a read option keeper with Johnson having the option of running for the pylon or tossing it to whatever receiver they have set up on that side.

Since this is brought up, that's one of the nice things about having such a stout, athletic offensive line and a stud running back like we have. You can exert you will against even some really good defenses, you don't necessarily have to get cute to score in a situation like that.

Reactions: cordialb
Pray we don't turn it over somehow... because when it comes to Florida and Tennessee, we are as snake bit as they come.

With that said, I'd attempt one run with Snell then go the Blue Decade route.

Poor analogy. Pete Carroll made a good play call that was defeated by an absolutely superstar defensive play by Malcolm Butler. Butler wedged himself in front of Ricardo Lockette and ripped the football away. Perfect defensive break on the ball and positioning for the INT. ESPN called it a "sports miracle". Have you seen the replay? 8-9 times out of 10, that play scores a TD. But that pass was thrown by Russell Wilson in the middle of the field. In the scenario described in the OP, I would have Conrad rub a block and run "out" in the end zone toward the right sideline, receiving the pass in the open flat. I will give you the concern about SJ's short passing skills. But judging by the UL game, he is improving.

LOL whaaaaat.

There's no way that was a great play call. Especially when you have Marshawn lynch. Maybe it was a miracle. But everyone was crashing the middle and Carroll ran a play that put the ball right in the spot that defenders were already cheating towards.

Might have been one of the worst play calls ever.

Still remember Higgs-UT head-scratch-er! Do believe our upcoming team will have much more o. schemes and personal to score! Play action comes to mind!

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
LOL whaaaaat.

There's no way that was a great play call. Especially when you have Marshawn lynch. Maybe it was a miracle. But everyone was crashing the middle and Carroll ran a play that put the ball right in the spot that defenders were already cheating towards.

Might have been one of the worst play calls ever.
The play call by Pete Carroll was fine. The defensive play by Malcolm Butler was historically outstanding. You really should look at the replay of that play. On any play on any down in any game, a well designed play call can be blown up by a great, instinctive defensive play. That's football. In the same critical situation near the goal line, you will see the top NFL teams call play action pass or 1 step drop pass most of the time. How did Tom Brady get the ball into the end zone to win the last SB? (1 step drop pass to Edelman.) You are right that Marshawn Lynch is a great back. Others are right that UK has an improving offensive line that COULD get a push and COULD create a crease for Benny. But when you have the football in a critical game situation near the goal line in the NFL or the SEC, the other team's defense will be expecting run, and then hoping to react effectively to a run fake if they get surprised by the play call. The better Benny is, the more the defense expects the ball in his hands. If you are a scared team, you call the obvious offensive play and just hope it works. But if you are a great team with swagger, you call a play that is much less obvious, surprise the opponent, force the defense to react to the unexpected, and let your quarterback win the game. There is no right or wrong answer here. You either win the game, or else you lose the game. You make the opponent guess wrong, because SEC defenses are tough and Florida always recruits great athletes up the middle of the field.

Reactions: fuzz77
If you can't pound it in, after 3 tries, it's probably futile to try it on 4th. The most likely play that they could score on at the point would be a read option keeper with Johnson having the option of running for the pylon or tossing it to whatever receiver they have set up on that side.

Since this is brought up, that's one of the nice things about having such a stout, athletic offensive line and a stud running back like we have. You can exert you will against even some really good defenses, you don't necessarily have to get cute to score in a situation like that.

No reason to try a fourth since we can kick a FG and win.

The play call by Pete Carroll was fine. The defensive play by Malcolm Butler was historically outstanding. You really should look at the replay of that play. On any play on any down in any game, a well designed play call can be blown up by a great, instinctive defensive play. That's football. In the same critical situation near the goal line, you will see the top NFL teams call play action pass or 1 step drop pass most of the time. How did Tom Brady get the ball into the end zone to win the last SB? (1 step drop pass to Edelman.) You are right that Marshawn Lynch is a great back. Others are right that UK has an improving offensive line that COULD get a push and COULD create a crease for Benny. But when you have the football in a critical game situation near the goal line in the NFL or the SEC, the other team's defense will be expecting run, and then hoping to react effectively to a run fake if they get surprised by the play call. The better Benny is, the more the defense expects the ball in his hands. If you are a scared team, you call the obvious offensive play and just hope it works. But if you are a great team with swagger, you call a play that is much less obvious, surprise the opponent, force the defense to react to the unexpected, and let your quarterback win the game. There is no right or wrong answer here. You either win the game, or else you lose the game. You make the opponent guess wrong, because SEC defenses are tough and Florida always recruits great athletes up the middle of the field.

The play call by Carroll was one they called almost everytime in that situation, Bulter knew what was coming and played the play. It was all about knowing tendencies, Butler said he knew the play was coming and beat the receiver to the spot. I would run the bootleg, but I can see alternative plays too. If you had run 4-5 plays in hurry up fashion, had the DLine sucking air from chasing the QB and hustling to get back on side inside runs would be more apt to work than if it was a slower paced drive downfield that allowed subs to move in and out. A fade to the corner is certainly an option and if the refs are allowing pick plays a crossing route to your WR will also work.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I'd pull Cobb over to the bench and let Locke block for Newton...

Well played, Sir, well played (speaking to Chad Rock, and not to Brooks, Joker, etc.).

No reason to try a fourth since we can kick a FG and win.

I think the original premise in this thread was that we are trailing by 6 points with little time left in the 4th. Perhaps this was in response to some other question?

I tend to go with the OP. My trick . . . . tell Snell to hand it to the jet sweep guy on first down. If he doesn't make it, they will have to really respect it on following downs, further opening holes for Snell.

Fake the dive to Snell, johnson pulls it back and throws a jump pass to Conrad releasing late across middle.

Depends entirely on whether SJ has improved his ability on short passes. In a vacuum, a play action pass to the TE works a huge percentage of the time, especially with a good running team. But SJ missed Conrad so many times last year. But especially on first down there, the D is going to be selling out to stop the run up the middle.

I'd love to somehow involve Lynn Bowden. The jet sweep to him could be genius - but could also lose 3 yards if it blows up. So not sure I'd be that brave.

On the Seahawks play call, part of the issue was the placement on that throw. Should have been low - the WR going to the ground to make the play. Now way it gets picked. Read an article a while back that was saying with proper placement, it is likely still a TD or a PI call even with the guy breaking on it. Other thing, Lynch did not have a good history as a short yardage back that year. Crazy, but true.

Benny is our dude and our strength. Run him on first and second in the wildcat, play action on 3rd then Benny again on 4th.

I'm a big believer of playing to your strength and not getting cute, even more so I'm a situation like that.

Reactions: jmalone7us
Benny would do a little jump pass over the line out of the wildcat! The play we had been secretly working on for some time but the first time we have used it. Would only need one play although I might run Benny conventional WC the first play to give them a look, if we aren't in the endzone, then our new jump pass. This coaching is easy from where I set!

ADVERTISEMENT