ADVERTISEMENT

UK calls basketball press conference for a "special announcement" tomorrow

Not much, but it's "likely an NBA decision" which I'm kinda surprised by since Cal isn't there.

Not much, but it's "likely an NBA decision" which I'm kinda surprised by since Cal isn't there.
It's an absolute injustice that UK didn't do something special for that '96 team. Don't know how you would have worked around Pitino's ego about not wanting to come to Lexington but, something should have been done. What a great team and what a great group of guys.

Only one chair at press conference. I was just told it's Murray announcing he is leaving UK for NBA.

There were lines for the best seats, sure. But the last 4-5 rows were always available for the last minute crowd. And the Crow's Nest was never full. For the Ernie and Bernie game we were at one of the student houses along the back of Memorial -- long since taken for parking -- when we decided to go. It was around a half hour before the game, and we had to spend 10-15 minutes to find one of us an ID. We didn't wind up in the Crow's Nest either.
Funny, I remember having to stand on the window ledge in the upper area. Cops frisking all students as they came in the door to look for oranges since the year before the unicycle guy was pelted with oranges as he led the team in.
That game was the big ticket for everyone. It was for the SEC championship.

So is UK going to have individual press conferences like this for every player that declares and signs with an agent? It's strange that Ulis and Skal aren't there too, if they are all going pro. Have we had individual press conferences like this in the past under Cal?

So is UK going to have individual press conferences like this for every player that declares and signs with an agent? It's strange that Ulis and Skal aren't there too, if they are all going pro. Have we had individual press conferences like this in the past under Cal?

IIRC it was reported that Ulis was intentionally not signing with an agent so he could get feedback at the combine/workouts and make his decision based off that. Obviously, most expect the feedback will be very good, but still.

Skal may be in the same boat. Or maybe his handler just hasn't found an agent yet.

Yeah that is odd. It's also odd they announced a "special announcement" without any details the day before. They could've just said "Jamal Murray" has a special announcement and we would have known instead of us speculating. I'm not saying that in attempt to rain on a dream come true for him but it's not like his decision is a surprise. No need to veil it under a mysterious "special announcement" veil.

Ulis and Skal (I am sure) are waiting for feedback before officially leaving. Murray knows he is a top 10 pick so no point in dragging it out any longer.

Meh, I don't watch press conferences when players announce they are leaving.

Reactions: awf
Not sure how this is a "special announcement". I wish Murray well, but honestly, I couldn't give less of a F that he's making an announcement to go pro.

Reactions: zannmann
Since when is this a "special announcement"? Everyone knew Murray was going. Meh on getting people to pay attention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT