ADVERTISEMENT

UK calls basketball press conference for a "special announcement" tomorrow

Drew Franklin says he believes announcement is for Murray to announce he is leaving.

MJ also believes it is Murray declaring for draft and hiring an agent. Doesn't think there is anything else to it. May also include Skal.

I would say it's about Skal and Murray stating that they are for sure not coming back. That way they can start doing signing tours around the state.

Jonny David, Dillon Pulliam, and EJ Floreal are removing their names from the draft.

Season ticket holders are being moved to make room for a larger student section behind the bench.

My guess is an increase in available season tickets in the upper level...the simple fact is students have been no shows
in the uppers for all but the most high profile games for years.

Reactions: awf
My guess is an increase in available season tickets in the upper level...the simple fact is students have been no shows
in the uppers for all but the most high profile games for years.
That's because what student wants to be in the upper? They want to be in the lower. I'm all for taking away the upper seats if they gave more in the lower section

That's because what student wants to be in the upper? They want to be in the lower. I'm all for taking away the upper seats if they gave more in the lower section
Way overdue. Kills me to see schools like auburn and South Carolina having a better atmosphere than rupp. Pathetic

Reactions: NCukcat62

Students are in the uppers, they're in the lowers and in the eRupption Zone - but they're AWOL in the uppers.

Peevy has made comments in the past about those chronically empty seats being converted to new season ticket holders.

Way overdue. Kills me to see schools like auburn and South Carolina having a better atmosphere than rupp. Pathetic

What kills me is their pint-size gyms and a trophy case to match...if you think the multi-million dollar seats are going away, you'd better get busy building the luxury suites.

Right. And rupp should be better than their "t shirt nights" any given night...make it happen cal

Bertha replaced by MonsterVision

Final-Four-2014-04-370x208.jpg

Oh the poor students having to sit in the uppers, by all means move them to mid court so they do not feel like they are second class fans.

Reactions: bbsanders and awf
If this "special announcement" is just about Murray or whoever announcing they are leaving then they can take their announcement and.... You can figure out the rest. I don't know why they think we care or want a big announcement to hear our guys are leaving. No other school does that crap. Put out a statement with the players leaving and be done with it.

The pumpers will never believe it but the majority of people I talk to in real life are tired of of seeing a big chunk of the team leaving each year and are really pissed when it's turned into a big deal like with these "announcements."

The non UK fans I talk to are all in agreement that it'll eventually be what causes Cal's downfall here. BBN will tolerate if it brings titles, or final fours evidently, but if it's not bringing in those results he will get run off due to the revolving door.

Student ticket $5
Student attendance has always been iffy. Even at Memorial. We walked in for the UT Ernie and Bernie game around 20 minutes before tip.

I've been a STH at Rupp for the last 12 years, and if we're not playing Louisville or a high profile CBS game like UNCheat or Kansas, the upper corner
is as bare as Bill Self's head. UK can sell every single one of those for $50 per seat which is 10X what a student would pay, if they actually showed up.

I actually like sitting in the upper deck. The real fans are up there. They cheer loudly, STAND UP and are generally always more into the games. Certainly never seen anyone knitting while sitting in the upper deck.

Reactions: CatPhight
If this "special announcement" is just about Murray or whoever announcing they are leaving then they can take their announcement and.... You can figure out the rest. I don't know why they think we care or want a big announcement to hear our guys are leaving. No other school does that crap. Put out a statement with the players leaving and be done with it.

The pumpers will never believe it but the majority of people I talk to in real life are tired of of seeing a big chunk of the team leaving each year and are really pissed when it's turned into a big deal like with these "announcements."

The non UK fans I talk to are all in agreement that it'll eventually be what causes Cal's downfall here. BBN will tolerate if it brings titles, or final fours evidently, but if it's not bringing in those results he will get run off due to the revolving door.

I guess I live in a different world than you do. The majority of people that I talk to in real life accept the change over. It is nice having to worry if Skal is going to turn around versus is Sheray Thomas ever going to contribute. Either you want the top talent or you don't? No one around here is holding a gun to my head making me pay attention to the "Big announcement". If it is very important it will be everywhere in the media in a couple of hours. Seems like you are wasting a lot of emotional energy over nothing? AND lastly....who gives a rats azz what "non UK fans" are thinking?

Speaking for the BBN of course...[eyeroll]

Gotta take the good with the bad. It's a PR move in a sense, an opportunity to sell the Kentucky brand [along with the NBA draft later on]. Also provides a sense of closure and an opportunity to see these guys one last time, and offers them a chance to say goodbye to the fans as well.

Were you this pissed when the 2012 champs held that big press conference?

I guess I live in a different world than you do. The majority of people that I talk to in real life accept the change over. It is nice having to worry if Skal is going to turn around versus is Sheray Thomas ever going to contribute. Either you want the top talent or you don't? No one around here is holding a gun to my head making me pay attention to the "Big announcement". If it is very important it will be everywhere in the media in a couple of hours. Seems like you are wasting a lot of emotional energy over nothing? AND lastly....who gives a rats azz what "non UK fans" are thinking?

Darn you...yer...yer....awf....

Student attendance has always been iffy. Even at Memorial. We walked in for the UT Ernie and Bernie game around 20 minutes before tip.
Thats funny,I seem to remember standing in line for several hours, a line two laps around memorial coliseum and a near riot at the front door when they announced the coliseum was now sro. That was the Ernie and Bernie era I remember.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
Gotta take the good with the bad. It's a PR move in a sense, an opportunity to sell the Kentucky brand [along with the NBA draft later on]. Also provides a sense of closure and an opportunity to see these guys one last time, and offers them a chance to say goodbye to the fans as well.

Were you this pissed when the 2012 champs held that big press conference?
Of course not. I had a title to think about. They delivered on their end so I had no hard feelings. Guys like Wall, Knight MKG Davis DMC Towns and such can leave and I'm fine with it. It's the guys that would ONLY leave if they played at UK that piss me off. Put them on any other team and they stay multiple years.

[roll][roll][roll]

It is a little weird that literally nothing about this press conference has leaked.

Thats funny,I seem to remember standing in line for several hours, a line two laps around memorial coliseum and a near riot at the front door when they announced the coliseum was now sro. That was the Ernie and Bernie era I remember.

There were lines for the best seats, sure. But the last 4-5 rows were always available for the last minute crowd. And the Crow's Nest was never full. For the Ernie and Bernie game we were at one of the student houses along the back of Memorial -- long since taken for parking -- when we decided to go. It was around a half hour before the game, and we had to spend 10-15 minutes to find one of us an ID. We didn't wind up in the Crow's Nest either.

LOL, I saw that link last night, and thought it was at noon EDT. It says 12 in your link, I just didn't notice it was MDT. Most everything I see is always listed by east coast time. You get used to that of course, but I have been bitten by it a few times. Even missed a couple of UK games because of it.

I'm really surprised we've haven't gotten any real "leaks" on this. Here, we usually do.

ADVERTISEMENT