ADVERTISEMENT

UK baseball: How will the MLB draft impact the Wildcats?

Derek Terry

Senior
Staff
Aug 22, 2013
Lexington, Ky.
LINK

Some of you have asked me about players coming back to school/new talent coming in next season. Obviously the draft has a major impact on that. Here's our draft preview with some predictions on who comes to school and who signs.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
OK What is typically the amount of money a high school player has to get to waived in front of their nose to stay with the team that drafted them? We are through the 10th round and I didn't see Zach Haake in the first 10 rounds. On the MLB site, it shows approximate signing value for the last position in the 10th round as being $131K. I always thought the signing bonus asked for by a drafted player pretty much was the key to whether they were planning on staying with their draft team, but I am pretty clueless as to the process. Sounds like a team can use certain amounts of money to sign their top 10 round picks. If they use less, they can use it in later rounds but if they use more there is a pretty substantial penalty. If they don't sign their player in the top 10 rounds, they lose that "slot" money from their total that can be used.

I also have no idea whether that is already negotiated ahead of time or whether what a player gets can still change. Seems like a lot of top prospects are still not drafted. Seems strange to me. Like Jake Mangum is not yet drafted.

Last edited:
The list of commits in the 'Baseball Commits' doesn't seem to be complete. The MLB draft tracker page seems to have been constructed by a Computer School dropout. Based on that site and the list as it is in 'Baseball Commits':

2017:
RHP Ben Jordan - undrafted
LHP Brandon Garland - undrafted
RHP Trip Lockhart - not even listed
RHP Brad Dobzanski - 1176th in the 39th round
LHP Mason Hazelwood - not even listed
RHP Austin Marozas - undrafted
RHP Crosby Bringhurst - undrafted
RHP Daniel Harper - not even listed
RHP Aaron Perry - 431st in the 14th round
RHP Eddie Freeman - not even listed
RHP Zach Haake - undrafted
C Coltyn Kessler - not even listed
C Tanner Johnson - not even listed
1B Spencer Harbert - not even listed
SS Thomas Bennett - not even listed
SS Trey Dawson - undrafted
OF Cam Hill - undrafted
OF Luke Benoit - undrafted
OF Garrett Hastings - not even listed
OF Ryan Shinn - not even listed

2017 Players posted as being committed but not in 'Baseball Commits' list
OF Ben Aklinkski - not even listed
RHP Joeseph Cantillo - 468th in th 16th round
IF Troy Black - not even listed
RHP Grant Macciocchi - undrafted
Kaden Polcovich - not even listed
1B Ryan Johnson - undrafted

The ones that say 'not even listed' were ones that I couldn't find on MLB. It could be that the name was mispelled. The list I referenced had Marazos instead of Marozas so I nearly missed it. Can we get the 'Baseball Commits' list updated?

Last edited:
Perfect Game has our 2017 class listed as the 18th best in the nation but 10th best in the SEC. Hard to say what it will be effectively as in how many make it to campus.

We lose 4 out of 5 outfielders, one underclassman in Reks.
5 of our top 10 field players will be gone if Mahan leaves.

We lose 2 of our 3 weekend starters if Lewis leaves.
We lose 6 out of our total 15 listed pitchers if Logue, Pop, and Lewis leave as underclassmen (Cleary, McNeill, and Salow are seniors).

No doubt this will be quite a different team next year.

We lose 4 out of 5 outfielders, one underclassman in Reks.
5 of our top 10 field players will be gone if Mahan leaves.

We lose 2 of our 3 weekend starters if Lewis leaves.
We lose 6 out of our total 15 listed pitchers if Logue, Pop, and Lewis leave as underclassmen (Cleary, McNeill, and Salow are seniors).

No doubt this will be quite a different team next year.
Losing a lot, but bringing back a lot as well. (Also, I think Lewis is staying - which would give us a nasty weekend rotation).

With some more development for our returnees and incoming recruits, I'm confident in where we stand for next year.

LINK

Some of you have asked me about players coming back to school/new talent coming in next season. Obviously the draft has a major impact on that. Here's our draft preview with some predictions on who comes to school and who signs.
If Lewis comes back our weekend pitching should be dynamite with Machamer the midweek guy?

Personally would rather see Machamer as the closer, would hate to not even use him in SEC play.
One if our strong suits this year was not losing midweek games like we did under Henderson...I think at the end of the season ZT was our best pitcher...would like to see the success of the mid week games continue.

LINK

Any news on our draftees and who has signed pro contracts?

Does that mean Mahan and Lewis can come back?

The signing deadline is July 15th. So yes, they could come back to school. Mahan will probably sign his contract sometime next week according to some other people in the know. I'm not sure about Lewis. I thought maybe he would come back but I'm not hopeful.

The kid that pitched for LSU last game was a senior, he got picked in the 16th round last year, decided to come back to school and got picked in the 9th round this year, which I assume means considerably more money. Something for Lewis to think about.

I know, off topic, but i've been watching uf-tcu game since 8pm, and they just now ended the sixth inning.
I like baseball and have watched most of the cws games, but damn, three hours for six innings?
Also cws umpires suck.

Reactions: Tskware
Sports Illustrated had an article on this topic this week, fewer and fewer balls are put in play, more Ks, BBs, and HRs mean longer games + less action, not a formula for long term popularity.

There doesn't have to be a lot of offensive action for the game to be interesting and suspenseful to me. For example, I like a good pitchers duel, so I hope in their attempts to speed up the game, they don't ruin some of the things that make baseball interesting and unique. I love the strategy part of baseball just as much as the play. That being said, 3 hours to play 6 innings is crazy. I'm not sure what they need to do to speed up play, but you can't have games taking 4 hours or more to play. The trick is to not ruin the game in the process of speeding it up.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
There doesn't have to be a lot of offensive action for the game to be interesting and suspenseful to me. For example, I like a good pitchers duel, so I hope in their attempts to speed up the game, they don't ruin some of the things that make baseball interesting and unique. I love the strategy part of baseball just as much as the play. That being said, 3 hours to play 6 innings is crazy. I'm not sure what they need to do to speed up play, but you can't have games taking 4 hours or more to play. The trick is to not ruin the game in the process of speeding it up.
Would be nice to know the average time of a college or pro game...they are not all four hrs I'm sure...my buddy attend and I all the games at the UK regional and had a great time. Bb is a great game to just sit and enjoy. Enjoy watching it much more than watching NBA bb...yesterday's two CWS games went 3:09 & 3:43 that's not bad. All sports have issues with times that are dictated by the boob tube.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT