ADVERTISEMENT

UK Athletics toxicity

KSR ranted about Mitch and NIL and alcohol and fans for the 764th time today which got me thinking; How is all this KSR vs. Mitch vs. the fans vs. Cal vs. Stoops healthy for both programs and how is it fixed?

This board has been toxic for years now. Radio shows and local reporters are always ranting and nagging about internal issues. Would it take a new AD to fix it all? Maybe it’s not all Cal’s fault? Idk, but it all just seems like a mess.

Maybe MJ has duped us all and his grand plan all along was to bring Kentucky football and basketball down and he really loves Duke. He’s been successful with basketball, now working on football with his inside sources.
Interesting point OP. There does seem to be a bunch of toxicity. I don't think MJ is the cause - - he is just commenting / reporting on it. In my opinion, it stems from MB and Cal suffering from the same "disease". They are both late in their careers and lacking energy and competitive drive which has made them both much more obstinate, irritable and not adaptable. MB and Cal won't adapt to the trends that are getting ready to run them both over. A younger version of both MB and Cal would be much more adaptable and on the cutting edge of the new trends but the current versions are tired and set in their ways.

Reactions: ULisnotmyman
Lately it’s been more than just providing info. Go listen to the 11:30 segment (I think) today. He thinks he is bigger than the program and is turning Cal/Mitch against the “fans” since they are the self-proclaimed collective voice of the fans. That, imo, is not good any way you spin it.
I listened yesterday and I didn't take it that way at all. My impression was that people behind the scenes at UK Athletics--specifcally football--are very upset at how Barnhart has handled NIL. His complete refusal to acknowledge or put it out there as other schools have is potentially costing UK recruits. Say what you want regarding KSR--I listen 1-2 times a week--but those guys are all fans. Jones is also without question tapped into the football coaching staff to the top. He even mentioned the potential QB from NC St i think (Leary?) may not come here if NIL isn't there.

Came across to me as a guy who is a fan that understands the importance of NIL and hears the frustration directly from our athletic coaches regarding how Mitch has handled it. I appreciate him calling out Barhnart in this instance and if MB cant get with the program he needs to go IMO.

Great topic OP.

There is a negativity surrounding YK athletics.

This board is almost insufferable. Used to be full of positive basketball opinions. Not anymore. It’s awful.

Would like to see Mitch Cal Stoops and Jones all come together. Let’s get some positive mojo going!
Cal, Mitch, Stoops, and KSR can have a bro hug if they want. It's still not going to change the fan's opinion until they see an improvement in the trajectory of program. (Namely basketball) Win and the mojo will follow. But to win, some change is needed, and to be honest I haven't seen anything from Calipari that makes me think he willing. Time will tell.

Exactly. Everything he has is due to stealing the old Kentucky Sports Report domain, stealing info off of house of blue, sucking all he could out of Orbzut for info etc. he’s a fraud and a clay Travis wannabe. Host another drag show Matt and get out of the way.
I generally agree with your take on Jones, but even a broken clock is right twice day, and I think Jones is right about the state of the program, regardless of his motives.

Reactions: UKMKG and catben
The issue here is pretty straight forward. There is a group of fans that thinks KY athletics suck and it will suck in their eyes until it is run their way. They are easily baited and the media knows this and exploits them effortlessly. They will enlist fans from opposing programs and anyone else that pretends to agree with them. This group is a cancer as much like the Lowder-like group is in Auburn.

UK will act if they see an internal problem. They have before. It’s quite obvious they don’t see an internal issue. If they see one, it’s outside the program.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Firstly, there is no "toxicity" associated with UK athletics. "toxicity" is just a popular hot button word or phrase tossed around in reference to everything under the sun that some people dislike or are offended by. Screw that woke garbage. Anyway "toxic" implies a terminal condition. All of the problems with UK Athletics have solutions.

What is going on with UK Athletics is closer to a malaise IMO. It's like a dark cloud hanging over much of the program. Calipari/BB program hasn't been producing the expected results, fans feel slighted and talked down to by the coach, FB program was only acceptable this season after many had very high expectations. Plus, the ancillary issues of the AD's lukewarm (at best) response to NIL, ridiculous alcohol sales policies and the uncertainty of the transfer portal.

UK fans see what AD's at other schools have done to position their programs to succeed and wonder when or if MB will ever do the same. The fact is Barnhart is just not the aggressive, bold alpha-dog type. Seems he'd rather hand out contract extensions than face unhappy employees.
Couple all of that with average to poor performance in the money sports and you get a fanbase that is in the doldrums, uninspired and frankly bored.

This site has always been like this. It’s what makes it fun. I joined in like 2009 with first handle and it was just as bad. Love it.
I expect the forum generates ad money from the venom laced involvement of some. I seriously doubt the beneficiaries of this add money want it stopped

The board is toxic because the people who post here make it toxic. UK athletics is actually in pretty good shape. Could things improve? Sure, of course. But to read this board you’d think we were U6 or worse.

You cannot defend John Calipari’s record at over the last 5 years. You can’t.

Some of you have got to eventually accept UK fans are not going to accept failure not matter how much Calipari has a spell on a few of you.

ADVERTISEMENT