ADVERTISEMENT

UK and NIL

Again, he may hate the new rule, but so what? We don’t need his endorsement. Universities aren’t supposed to have “NIL programs” at all, as they’re not supposed to have any direct involvement with this NIL stuff.

If Kentucky private businesses or citizens wanna offer our players NIL money, there now ain’t nothing Mitch or UK can do to stop it. They don’t need the University’s approval or permission.

If some sort of “NIL program” is needed, then it’d be best organized by folks who are not directly employed by UK.
Mitch in the university have set forth certain restrictions and
Again, he may hate the new rule, but so what? We don’t need his endorsement. Universities aren’t supposed to have “NIL programs” at all, as they’re not supposed to have any direct involvement with this NIL stuff.

If Kentucky private businesses or citizens wanna offer our players NIL money, there now ain’t nothing Mitch or UK can do to stop it. They don’t need the University’s approval or permission.

If some sort of “NIL program” is needed, then it’d be best organized by folks who are not directly employed by UK.
The University of Kentucky along with Mitch Barnhart have set forth certain restrictions regarding NIL that quite frankly other schools have not. Other schools have fully embraced NIL and are reaping the rewards.

So yes Mitch Barnhart and the University of Kentucky do play an active role in the NIL market. They may not be personally negotiating deals with players but by not fully embracing NIL and adding certain restrictions this may hinder Kentucky in recruiting, which it already has with Duran.

You really think Alabama is going to struggle in the NIL marketplace? Here are some of the the players that are perceived (we don't know exact money) to have signed the largest deals so far in college football:

Bryce Young - Alabama
Bo Nix - Auburn
Malachi Moore - Alabama
Myles Brennan - LSU
Derek Stingley - LSU
D'Eriq King - Miami
Bubba Bolden - Miami
Sam Howell - UNC
DJ Uiagalelei - Clemson
Kayvon Thibodeaux - Oregon

We have heard zero around players from universities in large markets, outside of Miami. Large markets don't care about college sports. They just don't. The biggest ones to watch out for are the Texas schools and those schools with fanbases that are dying to be relevant (UT as an example).
I agree with most of the points you make, however in this case I think you might be over simplifying. Large markets may generally not care as much about college basketball, but I don't think they have to to outbid small market teams. If we are talking strictly about basketball, all it really takes are a few very wealthy supporters to overcome a large number of supporters who aren't wealthy. The market as a whole doesn't have to care. A school only needs some of its wealthier supporters to care. I think that's the point people are missing. In L.A. alone, UCLA can probably find enough very wealthy supporters to outbid what UK supporters could put together. I think the people who have pushed this who are fans of small market teams will ultimately regret how this was implemented and regulated.

Last edited:
The highest paid college football or basketball player we have heard about so far goes to….Alabama
Which tells us nothing. One player does not make a team, particularly football. We’ll see how this plays over 5 - 10 years. I hope I am wrong, though almost no chance that I am. This just turned into a game of deep pockets. Just how much is number 9 worth to you?

Reactions: gojvc
When has the state of Kentucky ever been ahead of any change, trend, or improvement? Mitch and our official attitude on NIL reflect that. We laid out a "bare minimum" policy instead of embracing it and using our natural advantages.
We do need to get our head out of our asses and compete.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
When has the state of Kentucky ever been ahead of any change, trend, or improvement? Mitch and our official attitude on NIL reflect that. We laid out a "bare minimum" policy instead of embracing it and using our natural advantages.
We do need to get our head out of our asses and compete.
And do what? The school can’t advocate or solicit any of this. At best, they might recommend agents that specialize in both the Lexington and national markets. I think you are looking for a scapegoat, not a solution

Reactions: gojvc
And do what? The school can’t advocate or solicit any of this. At best, they might recommend agents that specialize in both the Lexington and national markets. I think you are looking for a scapegoat, not a solution
I'm not looking for anything, just stating the obvious. Go look at Mitch's speech and then the restrictions placed on it.
You really think a halfhearted lukewarm embrace by the school doesn't affect the perception of support and potential gains by prospective student athletes?
It doesn't matter if the school is or is not in charge of actually doing this stuff. The administrative support should be 10/10 and top in the nation. There should be no other school that does it better.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I told you guys that FedEx was offering a lot to these players a week ago. The NIL is going to be a disaster for UK unless some big players step up.

If they don’t, we are finished at the top of the mountain.

I know a lot of guys connected to basketball in the Memphis area. Let’s just say the deals could reach far and wide. Fred has been wanting to do this for years.

UK better have some wealthy brass ready to play in this game.

I agree with most of the points you make, however in this case I think you might be over simplifying. Large markets may generally not care as much about college basketball, but I don't think they have to to outbid small market teams. If we are talking strictly about basketball, all it really takes are a few very wealthy supporters to overcome a large number of supporters who aren't wealthy. The market as a whole doesn't have to care. A school only needs some of its wealthier supporters to care. I think that's the point people are missing. In L.A. alone, UCLA can probably find enough very wealthy supporters to outbid what UK supporters could put together. I think the people who have pushed this who are fans of small market teams will ultimately regret how this was implemented and regulated.
Now, I agree that in some instances, wealthy alumni can help the situation. UCLA basketball and USC football are unique because they have tradition and are in the 2nd largest city in the united states. IMO, they will be the exception to the rule, not the norm. But they also have been getting decent recruits over the years without the NIL. My point is, St John's isn't all of a sudden going to become a hot bed for recruits because it's located in NYC. Northwestern isn't all of a sudden become a destination because it's in Chicago. Temple isn't all of a sudden be nationally relevant because it's in Philly.

The ones you're going to have to watch out for are the major schools in Southwest (we know that from the 80's), the large, traditional rich school with crazy fans (Alabama football, Kentucky basketball) and the one offs with that 1 or 2 alumni that have shown they are willing to dump millions into athletics (Oregon, Okie State).

I have zero concerns about basketball. Football on the other hand, is going to be a little different. That might be where we hit a little skid after making so much progress.

Now, I agree that in some instances, wealthy alumni can help the situation. UCLA basketball and USC football are unique because they have tradition and are in the 2nd largest city in the united states. IMO, they will be the exception to the rule, not the norm. But they also have been getting decent recruits over the years without the NIL. My point is, St John's isn't all of a sudden going to become a hot bed for recruits because it's located in NYC. Northwestern isn't all of a sudden become a destination because it's in Chicago. Temple isn't all of a sudden be nationally relevant because it's in Philly.

The ones you're going to have to watch out for are the major schools in Southwest (we know that from the 80's), the large, traditional rich school with crazy fans (Alabama football, Kentucky basketball) and the one offs with that 1 or 2 alumni that have shown they are willing to dump millions into athletics (Oregon, Okie State).

I have zero concerns about basketball. Football on the other hand, is going to be a little different. That might be where we hit a little skid after making so much progress.
I've got a serious question. I see many here reference our crazy fan base as an equilizer to wealthy alumni at other schools? How will our fanbase equate to the money billionaire owners of corporations can offer?

I've got a serious question. I see many here reference our crazy fan base as an equilizer to wealthy alumni at other schools? How will our fanbase equate to the money billionaire owners of corporations can offer?
Just because you have money, doesn't mean you want to spend it on a college athlete. They didn't become wealthy by spending it on things that don't offer a ROI. It has to be the right situation (like the schools I mentioned in my post). Kentucky might not have the big donors, but these kids will make money. Through autograph signings, camps, etc., they will make decent money. I think overall, except for the very top kids and those with massive social media followings, kids are going to make less money than some think.

I'll be curious to see what NIL deals Duren signs that made it worth it. Fedex does have deep pockets though...
These new recruits don't give a darn about our traditions...fans....wins/loses...titles etc. All they care about is the $$$$$ that will come their way.
Compare the companies and size of employee work force in Memphis to Lexington. Not hard to see why UK may end up being on the s-end of the stick with NIL deals in this small, poor state with a small tv market we call our home.

Last edited:
You really think Alabama is going to struggle in the NIL marketplace? Here are some of the the players that are perceived (we don't know exact money) to have signed the largest deals so far in college football:

Bryce Young - Alabama
Bo Nix - Auburn
Malachi Moore - Alabama
Myles Brennan - LSU
Derek Stingley - LSU
D'Eriq King - Miami
Bubba Bolden - Miami
Sam Howell - UNC
DJ Uiagalelei - Clemson
Kayvon Thibodeaux - Oregon

We have heard zero around players from universities in large markets, outside of Miami. Large markets don't care about college sports. They just don't. The biggest ones to watch out for are the Texas schools and those schools with fanbases that are dying to be relevant (UT as an example).
We are in the infancy of NIL... right now it is those schools because that is where the talent went before... these kids could arguably make those deals anywhere.
Give it 3-5 years to shake out. Alabama won't be getting them... kids don't care about the history.

I'm not looking for anything, just stating the obvious. Go look at Mitch's speech and then the restrictions placed on it.
You really think a halfhearted lukewarm embrace by the school doesn't affect the perception of support and potential gains by prospective student athletes?
It doesn't matter if the school is or is not in charge of actually doing this stuff. The administrative support should be 10/10 and top in the nation. There should be no other school that does it better.
I can make a speech about the rice futures in China. Not likely to have much to do with the rice prices. You better start looking at facts and forget what you don't understand. The school has ZERO to do with this. People talked about the vast, huge and super rich fanbase we have. Well, somehow, they didn't get the memo where Duren was concerned.

Scapegoats are not going to solve this problem. And this is only a small problem now. In 5 years it will be huge.

We are in the infancy of NIL... right now it is those schools because that is where the talent went before... these kids could arguably make those deals anywhere.
Give it 3-5 years to shake out. Alabama won't be getting them... kids don't care about the history.
I will give it 3-5 years. Alabama (as long as they have a really good coach) will still be getting them. Will there be kids that chase the money? sure. But, to act like Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, etc. are all of a sudden going to be second tier teams now is crazy. The SEC (especially with the expansion of Texas and OU) will still eat first in recruiting. They just will. Kids will find ways to get paid, and they will do it while going to the big dogs too.

I can make a speech about the rice futures in China. Not likely to have much to do with the rice prices. You better start looking at facts and forget what you don't understand. The school has ZERO to do with this. People talked about the vast, huge and super rich fanbase we have. Well, somehow, they didn't get the memo where Duren was concerned.

Scapegoats are not going to solve this problem. And this is only a small problem now. In 5 years it will be huge.
Oh yea. It's I that don't understand any of it 🙄.
Not the dude that thinks the school not supporting it won't affect anything.

I wrote about this before and I still believe it. I do not know what NIL will bring specifically to college sports but I am confident that I’m the long run it will negatively impact what those of us here genuinely love…and that is college athletics (whatever schools we back).

For example, I foresee a time in the near future when kids are accompanied by agents during in home visits with those agents demanding playing time guarantees. Parents and handlers already do that to an extent but they are not professionals who specialize in that sort of arm twisting. And coaches will know when they make such a guarantee that had better follow thru on it or the agents will steer kids away from them in the future. And sadly, the shadiest and most undesirable coaches will do well in that game.

Soon enough the top 25 or so basketball kids (the five stars) will all have representation negotiating with coaches before they sign. The top 100 in football will do the same. Those elite agents will have relationships with some national but mostly regional sponsors who see a kid as a resource. Some of those (like Nike with Oregon) will be tied to certain schools only while other sponsors may just want a star in their “region” anywhere, so it could be at Maryland or Georgetown or Villanova. And everyone of those kids will have absolute one-and-done college agreements with their agents who will want to have the kid in the NBA for the second year of his likely multi-year agreement pro arrangement with a sponsor.

The bottom line is every 5 Star kid will get a big contract at a school but (in basketball anyway) no one school will get two of them. No agent is going to want the kid sharing his spotlight and shots. The talent will be more diluted and even more transitory.

The four stars will also have agent reps with time and shot requirements also but one year deals. And many will likely end up with big market, but second tier schools like UW or Rutgers or TCU. Their sponsors will be the big market players like multi-car dealers in Cinci or even Louisville. And those kids will likely bounce from school to school each year depending on their success.

That will leave the 3 stars to get the rabid fan base money that a UK or IU has to offer in t-shirt, poster and autograph sales. Yes UK will eat first at that table but not at the other two at least not with more than one each of those. And college basketball will be the worse for it.

NIL is going work well for schools trying to lure that one big name recruit. I just don’t see where it’s going to help a school like Kentucky a lot where you are trying to lure multiple guys like that to share the attention and the NIL pot.

NIL is going work well for schools trying to lure that one big name recruit. I just don’t see where it’s going to help a school like Kentucky a lot where you are trying to lure multiple guys like that to share the attention and the NIL pot.
The only pot to share is from local brands and appearance fees and the like. The national brands are being almost entirely left out of the conversation. That should favor the most marketable programs.

Amazing watching so many people carry water for Mitch and his view of the nil. People here were warned about how restrictive and backwards it was. It's already costing us recruits. It will only get worse as schools get more creative while Mitch refuses to do anything.

Lol ok. Bamas qb just got a single deal worth a million dollars. Do you even know his name? I didn't. I had to look it up.

They won't be struggling with this any time soon

Amazing watching so many people carry water for Mitch and his view of the nil. People here were warned about how restrictive and backwards it was. It's already costing us recruits. It will only get worse as schools get more creative while Mitch refuses to do anything.

Lol ok. Bamas qb just got a single deal worth a million dollars. Do you even know his name? I didn't. I had to look it up.

They won't be struggling with this any time soon
I would love to see Bama slide back to mediocrity

Which tells us nothing. One player does not make a team, particularly football. We’ll see how this plays over 5 - 10 years. I hope I am wrong, though almost no chance that I am. This just turned into a game of deep pockets. Just how much is number 9 worth to you?
I won’t pay one dime

Reactions: UK till Death
I haven't read every response so it may have already been said but urban areas also have a lot more more competition for where that dollar goes. UCLA for all of it's success in basketball, struggled to fill Pauley Pavilion in the best of times. I doubt it makes a Top 20 things to see when you're in LA. Georgia Tech football is not going to supplant Georgia in football because its located in Atlanta. Also the assumption seems to be TV markets equal NIL dollars, well guys its 2021 now. A lot of advertising is going to be done via social media and UK's brand, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. are going to be in great shape. I could make sure my advertising is going to be seen regularly by a million plus UK fans from cookies rather than a one time ad that might be seen by 30,000 people on a Sunday watching WKYT.

the point guard from Keenan High in Columbia announced that he will sign a $650000.00 contract pro contract.To my knowledge Wendell Moore has signed with Bojangles with no figures announced.Have any of your guys announced any deals?Yall think theNIL money will approach the 650000.00 he signed for

He is far from a household name
You sign them on potential... for cheap... before they are household names. He gets that deal pretty much wherever he goes to college... better in a bigger market than Tuscaloosa... Alabama was lucky to have him signed prior to NIL opening up... Alabam will not fair well with NIL in the future.

Why should there be a cap? Do we say that a plumber can only make so much? I say if the market will pay them, let them make as much as they want.
Becaus plumbing is not a sport? The competitive balance in sport is needed, and measures to keep that balance is present in almost all major sports professions across the world. Whereas that's not the case for plumbing or doctors or engineers. If you don't want to be involved in anything with a salary cap, there are literally hundreds of thousands of other professions to go into instead.

I will give it 3-5 years. Alabama (as long as they have a really good coach) will still be getting them. Will there be kids that chase the money? sure. But, to act like Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, etc. are all of a sudden going to be second tier teams now is crazy. The SEC (especially with the expansion of Texas and OU) will still eat first in recruiting. They just will. Kids will find ways to get paid, and they will do it while going to the big dogs too.

alabama won’t have enough money to go around for their massive football program

so far....not much.

Becaus plumbing is not a sport? The competitive balance in sport is needed, and measures to keep that balance is present in almost all major sports professions across the world. Whereas that's not the case for plumbing or doctors or engineers. If you don't want to be involved in anything with a salary cap, there are literally hundreds of thousands of other professions to go into instead.
You are confused... In sports where there is a cap... it's because the players agree to it... they negotiate to get the best bargain or other concessions... sports with a cap have guaranteed minimum 'salaries'... sports with a cap have a single unified representation (players union reps)... you won't get any of that in college sports.
More importantly... caps have nothing to do with NIL... sports salaries are capped... what a professional football or basketball player can make through their NIL deals, does not factor toward the team cap.

Reactions: Cal-4-Three
You are confused... In sports where there is a cap... it's because the players agree to it... they negotiate to get the best bargain or other concessions... sports with a cap have guaranteed minimum 'salaries'... sports with a cap have a single unified representation (players union reps)... you won't get any of that in college sports.
More importantly... caps have nothing to do with NIL... sports salaries are capped... what a professional football or basketball player can make through their NIL deals, does not factor toward the team cap.

I was going to reply to him but I couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: rabbitTown
ADVERTISEMENT