ADVERTISEMENT

UK and NIL

TheWyldKat

Senior
Mar 13, 2016
According to Gary Parrish Memphis’s NIL deal is why they beat out Kentucky and Miami. It seems like Mitch Barnhart and Company has not fully bought in yet. Does anyone think this could potentially hurt us in recruiting etc.?

It seems like Mitch Barnhart and Company has not fully bought in yet.
Why would Barnhart need to buy in? NIL deals don’t come from the University.

If our players are offered an NIL deal by an outside business or other private party, I see nothing Mitch can do to stop the player from accepting the money. It’s now legal and outside the universities’ control.

If our players are offered an NIL deal by an outside business or other private party, I see nothing Mitch can do to stop the player from accepting the money. It’s now legal and outside the universities’ control.
While what you’re saying is all 100% accurate, Mitch hates this and it shows by his approach. Tyra came right out and embraced it. Mitch cane right out and tippy toed with it. I’m a Mitch supporter, but he needs to come to grasp that times have changed and he is the tone setter for the department. He/UK can talk about NIL in general and the popularity of players in this state and nationally and how that will benefit then during their time at UK.

Did you see his press conference? Well it sure wasn’t a ringing endorsement that’s for sure.
If played correctly UK should have one of the best NIL programs with fans/ boosters and local support.

Did you see his press conference? Well it sure wasn’t a ringing endorsement that’s for sure.
If played correctly UK should have one of the best NIL programs with fans/ boosters and local support.
Again, he may hate the new rule, but so what? We don’t need his endorsement. Universities aren’t supposed to have “NIL programs” at all, as they’re not supposed to have any direct involvement with this NIL stuff.

If Kentucky private businesses or citizens wanna offer our players NIL money, there now ain’t nothing Mitch or UK can do to stop it. They don’t need the University’s approval or permission.

If some sort of “NIL program” is needed, then it’d be best organized by folks who are not directly employed by UK.

Last edited:
Not to get off subject
But I do think something needs done to cap how much a student / athlete can make. There needs to limitations now what that amount needs to be or limitations is still yet to be determined.

I also think these kids need something in return as everyone makes cash off of their abilities (restaurants, hotels, gas stations, shopping centers, clothing, schools, stadiums, arenas and so on...) as we all us these places as we go to games. I always stop and eat or tailgate, buy gas going there, sometimes stay in a hotel over night.....

But I also can see a kid making so much cash on a NIL that they put that 1st and somehow it actually hurts there long term career.

According to Gary Parrish Memphis’s NIL deal is why they beat out Kentucky and Miami. It seems like Mitch Barnhart and Company has not fully bought in yet. Does anyone think this could potentially hurt us in recruiting etc.?

I posted this the day UK released theirs. It's way more restrictive than it should be. People got irate. I went through the language and still people were mad.

Now what? UK has a much more restrictive nil than many schools. It's just a fact. Now we already see real world results.

Will Mitch change? We'll see

NIL will not be good for UK. Lack of large corporations, declining coal money, small market and waning fan base (still large but not as passionate as it once was) are all negatives for NIL and UK.

Maybe RJ Corman could clean up the train wreck of last season buy paying a few good players.

That is what a lot of us were saying. The big city markets are going to attract the players interested in NIL. Not the small markets like Lexington, KY, Lawrence,KS etc...
I disagree, because fans of big city school simply don’t care enough about college basketball to make the commitment for long. And that includes corporate interest too.

The rule clearly favors the schools with the largest and most avid fan bases, and we indisputably have the largest and most avid fan base in all of college basketball. We might’ve gotten off to a slow start in this new game, but I’ve no doubt we’ll soon catch up and surpass the pack after we figure out its tricks. It’s inevitable, as no other program has a mass of people willing to pay to see their team succeed like ours.

Last edited:
I disagree, because fans of big city school simply don’t care enough about college basketball to make the commitment for long. And that includes corporate interest too.

The rule clearly favors the schools with the largest and most avid fan bases, and we indisputably have the largest and most avid fan base in all of college basketball. We might’ve gotten off to a slow start in this new game, but I’ve no doubt we’ll soon catch up and surpass the pack after we figure out its tricks. It’s inevitable, as no other program has a mass of people willing to pay to see their team succeed like ours.
This is not true. It is about the money. Our fanbase is not so large that it can collectively make up for the lack of wealth the state and alumni do not have. Selling t-shirts and autograph tours won't cover the taxes of the NIL money these other schools boosters will offer. Several of our fans are severely overestimating what the fanbase can generate financially and are underestimating other schools periphery resources.

Bottom line UK/Cal need to get the NIL deals lined up as we recruit and not leave this to come to UK and then get your NIL deal in place.

Is that even legal? I’m not sure some of y’all get how this NIL stuff is supposed to work. Universities still can’t pay players and are not supposed to be involved with NIL transactions. Instead, the new rule relates only to athletes now being allowed to enter into financial transactions on their own with outside parties disconnected from the university.

We’re entering dangerous territory if Cal, Mitch or anyone else directly employed by UK is seen “lining up” or negotiating NIL contracts for players. The university itself is not supposed to be involved in those matters.

Last edited:
There will be some kind of point man or contact, who may or may not be employed by the university, that will know who is offering what. Count on it.

There will be some kind of point man or contact, who may or may not be employed by the university, that will know who is offering what. Count on it.
I’m certain this is true. But that “point man” shouldn’t be Cal or Mitch. I’m just not sure if some of those suggesting otherwise in this thread really understand the new rules.

I’m certain this is true. But that “point man” shouldn’t be Cal or Mitch. I’m just not sure if some of those suggesting otherwise in this thread really understand the new rules.
I get that. There should be some insulation for Cal, but he will know one way or another what is available to the players he is recruiting. "Now that I've finished the part of the pitch concerning the team, I'm going to hand you off to our bag man."

Is that even legal? I’m not sure some of y’all get how this NIL stuff is supposed to work. Universities still can’t pay players and are not supposed to be involved with NIL transactions. Instead, the new rule relates only to athletes now being allowed to enter into financial transactions on their own with outside parties disconnected from the university.

We’re entering dangerous territory if Cal, Mitch or anyone else directly employed by UK is clearly “lining up” or negotiating NIL contracts for players. The university itself is not supposed to be directly involved in those matters.
Definitely not legal (not saying it isn’t happening, but not legal). What they will be able to do in the future is give examples of NIL deals that players at UK have had.

Reactions: UK90
Not to get off subject
But I do think something needs done to cap how much a student / athlete can make. There needs to limitations now what that amount needs to be or limitations is still yet to be determined.

I also think these kids need something in return as everyone makes cash off of their abilities (restaurants, hotels, gas stations, shopping centers, clothing, schools, stadiums, arenas and so on...) as we all us these places as we go to games. I always stop and eat or tailgate, buy gas going there, sometimes stay in a hotel over night.....

But I also can see a kid making so much cash on a NIL that they put that 1st and somehow it actually hurts there long term career.

Why should there be a cap? Do we say that a plumber can only make so much? I say if the market will pay them, let them make as much as they want.

We’re entering dangerous territory if Cal, Mitch or anyone else directly employed by UK is seen “lining up” or negotiating NIL contracts for players. The university itself is not supposed to be involved in those matters.

I have zero idea how or why you quoted that when it wasn't in my post at all

I posted this the day UK released theirs. It's way more restrictive than it should be. People got irate. I went through the language and still people were mad.

Now what? UK has a much more restrictive nil than many schools. It's just a fact. Now we already see real world results.

Will Mitch change? We'll see

I saw yesterday, they hired TJ Beisner.... to me, it looked like his main role might be NIL related... maybe someone can confirm...

I saw yesterday, they hired TJ Beisner.... to me, it looked like his main role might be NIL related... maybe someone can confirm...

It is. Sure seems like basketball is trying to address the issue but it will take more than that. It has to come from the top. There is an insane number of reasons the UK AOC can veto an NIL deal. Basically the only things that can clearly be approved is some clothing type stuff and autographs. Even those take reviews of at least 7 days.

We don't have a giant megadonor so the nil will need to be crowdsourced. Can't do that when the players are only allowed some sad looking tshirts.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
What’s the most impressive NIL deal we’ve heard of for a basketball player that is actually coveted for basketball ability (not a rapper’s kid)? I haven’t seen much anywhere.

I have zero idea how or why you quoted that when it wasn't in my post at all
Sorry, a quote malfunction. That was actually K-Time’s quote, not yours. I believe I’d accidentally quoted two posts, then tried to quickly delete one, and instead they somehow merged. My bad.

My phone posting skills are sorely lacking.

The highest paid college football or basketball player we have heard about so far goes to….Alabama
But... he was signed/associated with Alabama when he got the NIL deal... it wasn't Alabama... it was the kid. Tuscaloosa is in the same boat as Lexington.
Alabama had some momentum that may carry them through a few more years, but they are really going to start struggling in the NIL marketplace.

Somebody else said it. I'm not sure how your name ended up on it. Weird. I was replying to this:

bigblueinsanity said:
Bottom line UK/Cal need to get the NIL deals lined up as we recruit and not leave this to come to UK and then get your NIL deal in place

Yes and I didn't say that either. You can look above at what I actually said. No idea why that person completely fabricated something I didn't say. That's why I included my post of what I actually said

Sorry, a quote malfunction. That was actually K-Time’s quote, not yours. I believe I’d accidentally quoted two posts, then tried to quickly delete one, and instead they somehow merged. My bad.

My phone posting skills are sorely lacking.

Ok thanks for clarifying

How long before the states without income tax such as Florida, Texas and Tennessee come into play for example? It may already have played a part in Duren's decision although I doubt it.

But... he was signed/associated with Alabama when he got the NIL deal... it wasn't Alabama... it was the kid. Tuscaloosa is in the same boat as Lexington.
Alabama had some momentum that may carry them through a few more years, but they are really going to start struggling in the NIL marketplace.
You really think Alabama is going to struggle in the NIL marketplace? Here are some of the the players that are perceived (we don't know exact money) to have signed the largest deals so far in college football:

Bryce Young - Alabama
Bo Nix - Auburn
Malachi Moore - Alabama
Myles Brennan - LSU
Derek Stingley - LSU
D'Eriq King - Miami
Bubba Bolden - Miami
Sam Howell - UNC
DJ Uiagalelei - Clemson
Kayvon Thibodeaux - Oregon

We have heard zero around players from universities in large markets, outside of Miami. Large markets don't care about college sports. They just don't. The biggest ones to watch out for are the Texas schools and those schools with fanbases that are dying to be relevant (UT as an example).

Again, he may hate the new rule, but so what? We don’t need his endorsement. Universities aren’t supposed to have “NIL programs” at all, as they’re not supposed to have any direct involvement with this NIL stuff.

If Kentucky private businesses or citizens wanna offer our players NIL money, there now ain’t nothing Mitch or UK can do to stop it. They don’t need the University’s approval or permission.

If some sort of “NIL program” is needed, then it’d be best organized by folks who are not directly employed by UK.
I see what you mean and I understand what you’re saying but that’s not totally correct. Rumor is that’s what led to TJ being hired to manage the university’s NIL opportunities.
I think it’s just short sided on Mitch and the University to downplay NIL.

The other programs that have come out in support along with the presidents are the ones that are taking full advantage right now, players see this, they’re not stupid.

Hopefully TJ Bisiner (spelling) can hit the ground running with this and make a difference. If not get used to seeing the same thing from the programs that are fully embracing NIL. They will still be getting the best players just like Memphis did with Duran.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
ADVERTISEMENT