ADVERTISEMENT

UK Agrees to Series with Utah

Odd pairing. I guess Utah was the best team willing to call Vegas their home for a game.
Is there a 2019 recruit from Vegas we are targeting (so his family could see him easily once)?

Does that mean we could potentially play two games in Vegas in 2019? CBS Sports Classic location hasn't been set yet, but could be in Vegas again.

Good OOC pick-up with playing a home and neutral in Vegas. Still amazes me how much we owned Utah in the NCAA Tournament over a 20ish year period:

1993 - beat #19 Utah in 2nd round
1996 - beat #10 Utah in the Sweet 16
1997 - beat #2 Utah in Elite 8
1998 - beat #7 Utah in the Finals
2003 - beat unranked Utah in the 2nd round
2005 - beat #18 Utah in the Sweet 16

Talk about conspiracy theory, the Selection Committee had it out for Utah!

Last edited:
Good OOC pick-up with playing a home and neutral in Vegas. Still amazes me how much we owned Utah in the NCAA Tournament over a 20ish year period:

1998 - beat #2 Utah in the Elite 8

I thought we beat them in the Championship game.

Reactions: HLW1010 and jrpross
Does that mean we could potentially play two games in Vegas in 2019? CBS Sports Classic location hasn't been set yet, but could be in Vegas again.

KSR was saying there were two games in Vegas this morning, next season, so I take it that it is.

Reactions: MWes11
I’ve always had a soft spot for Utah. Kentucky has owned them for quite a while. Plus Rick Majerus always cracked me up when he was their coach. I’ll never forget an interview with him before playing them in the ‘96 sweet 16. He said “Kentucky has what, 5 or 6 McDonalds all Americans on their team? I don’t even have 5 guys on my team with a McDonald’s in their hometown.”[laughing]

1997 - beat #2 Utah in Elite 8
1998 - beat #7 Utah in the Finals

Paying them back for the '76 UKIT loss.

Reactions: awf
Hopefully, this means the rumors of renewing the Indiana series weren't true.

The CBS Sports Classic could be in Vegas again I suppose, although I wouldn't think UK would want to play two games out there in the same season. The CBS Sports Classic has been in Chicago, Brooklyn, Vegas, New Orleans, and Chicago again this coming season. So if they are going in order, it would be in Brooklyn in 2019 then Vegas in 2020. I don't know if they are going in a specific order or if they are locked into those specific locations though.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Utah. Kentucky has owned them for quite a while. Plus Rick Majerus always cracked me up when he was their coach. I’ll never forget an interview with him before playing them in the ‘96 sweet 16. He said “Kentucky has what, 5 or 6 McDonalds all Americans on their team? I don’t even have 5 guys on my team with a McDonald’s in their hometown.”[laughing]

Or when someone asked Majerus what could slow UK down, he shrugged and said "food poisoning?"

Reactions: jrpross
Glad to see fans get a good home game. I know it's not in Cals plans but wish we had more home and homes with good programs.

Reactions: Zakk Wyldcat
Best Venue I have seen the Cats play. Great crowd, awesome alumni meet up group too.
Cats in Sin City is a great mix!
Doesn't hurt to win a high scoring affair! Thanks Monk!
That game was so fun from start to finish. Thankfully Monk saved some late game heroics to bail us out, even with Roger Ayers continually adding time to the clock at the end.

We eliminated Utah so many times in March their fans have to be chompin' at the bit for just a piece...

The annual thrashin' of the Utes... [laughing]

3.30.98-te26-4.jpg

That game was so fun from start to finish. Thankfully Monk saved some late game heroics to bail us out, even with Roger Ayers continually adding time to the clock at the end.

Well that could go for unc too, Jackson kept them in the game with 34 points so without him, we beat their brains out so it works both ways. No bailing out in that game, it was who was going to get the last shot.

ADVERTISEMENT