ADVERTISEMENT

UK 30th in Rivals Football Recruiting Rankings

Oct 5, 2005
Not great, but not a disaster. Sucks that we are next to last in the SEC (only beat Vandy), but at least we're not in Louisville's spot. Louisville's recruiting class is ranked 88th, which places the Cards ten spots below Western Kentucky University. It's all about perspective.

Pump the sunshine!!
tumblr_lp3ry2x6X71qby3d2.jpg

Not great, but not a disaster. Sucks that we are next to last in the SEC (only beat Vandy), but at least we're not in Louisville's spot. Louisville's recruiting class is ranked 88th, which places the Cards ten spots below Western Kentucky University. It's all about perspective.
12th in the SEC. Mizzou and Vandy finished behind them. As I’ve said in a previous thread, this class tied for Stoops’ fifth best class since he’s been at UK. Not the finish I wanted, but there are some studs in the class along with some much needed talent in the front 7.

12th in the SEC. Mizzou and Vandy finished behind them. As I’ve said in a previous thread, this class tied for Stoops’ fifth best class since he’s been at UK. Not the finish I wanted, but there are some studs in the class along with some much needed talent in the front 7.
We really missed out on a bunch of highly rated KY kids. I know we got a couple but the top 6 guys in the state went elsewhere. That needs to stop. But I think we did excellent on the D side. Not so much on the O side.

We really missed out on a bunch of highly rated KY kids. I know we got a couple but the top 6 guys in the state went elsewhere. That needs to stop. But I think we did excellent on the D side. Not so much on the O side.
Demontae Crumes and Travis Tisdale are legit talents on offense. Granted, UK sure could have used Lee at WR. I’ve been down on the finish for 19, but no one can argue the development of players under Stoops. It really is remarkable. For that, I still believe UK’s best days are still ahead.

Yeah really disappointing as a whole. Got some good players but not what should be expected after our year. But I think we’ll see big improvements next year

The big disappointment is on the offensive side. I dont have a problem with the defense but we are in desperate need of help offensively and we look like it is going to continue to be a struggle on that side of the ball.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Anyone know what our class would be ranked if we had signed Ward and Lee?

27th, both of those would count, Lee is worth 147 points, Ward 90. Would drop the 5.4 and his 45,points and one of the 5.5 and the 60 points, for a gain 122 points.

You're right. I overlooked that we are ranked ahead of Mizzou. I also agree that there are some studs in the class, and I'm hoping we found a few diamonds in the rough.

How much difference is there in the #15 class and the #30?
Florida State has the 15th rated recruiting class. The Seminoles got a five-star recruit and signed 10 four-star recruits. Kentucky didn't get a five-star recruit and signed 4 four-star recruits. I'm not very knowledgeable about the accuracy of star ratings, but it seems like a fairly big difference between #15 class and the #30. In my opinion, Kentucky needs to consistently have its recruiting class ranked in the top 20 in order to legitimately challenge for an SEC championship. Much easier said than done, but I think we are moving in the right direction with the new facilities and resources.

Reactions: why_not_kentucky
Stoops needs to make a hire. It may mean losing someone, but so be it. The program can't move ahead in the sec with offensive talent that's not better than anyone they line up against .

Florida State has the 15th rated recruiting class. The Seminoles got a five-star recruit and signed 10 four-star recruits. Kentucky didn't get a five-star recruit and signed 4 four-star recruits. I'm not very knowledgeable about the accuracy of star ratings, but it seems like a fairly big difference between #15 class and the #30. In my opinion, Kentucky needs to consistently have its recruiting class ranked in the top 20 in order to legitimately challenge for an SEC championship. Much easier said than done, but I think we are moving in the right direction with the new facilities and resources.

Not sure why UK's site doesn't have it, but Rivals has their formula on some of the member sites that tells you what each position is worth. It tells the points value for a 6;1 ranked player all the way down to a 5;2, and then goes on and gives the bonus for being ranked in the top 250. UGA's site has it under recruiting if you can see it. It's a nice tool to let you know what each recruit is worth for team ranking purposes.

How much difference is there in the #15 class and the #30?

We tried to do a statistical analysis years ago. Obviously it wasn’t very accurate, but it basically boiled down to a 6-7 +/- rating. So if we’re 30th, we’re probably not much different than teams ranked 24-36.

However we hypothesized that it’s a sliding scale. Rating recruits is obviously an inexact science. It holds a lot of merit, but it’s inexact. However, evaluators seem to be more accurate when they give someone a higher rating.....or perhaps a low rtg. Maybe it’s easier to pick out those recruits that stand out rather than try to quantify the largest population mass in the middle.

So, for example, above I mentioned about a 6-7 +/- window for us. The window shrinks as you go up in the team rankings. You wouldn’t say that a Bama at #1 has about the same class as a Michigan at #6-7. You “might” be able to say that the top 2....3.....perhaps 4....are similar in weight.

Reactions: Soupbean and catben
You guys think we got a GREAT recruiter.

Y'all better be happy beating out Kent St and BC for 3star guys

Demontae Crumes and Travis Tisdale are legit talents on offense. Granted, UK sure could have used Lee at WR. I’ve been down on the finish for 19, but no one can argue the development of players under Stoops. It really is remarkable. For that, I still believe UK’s best days are still ahead.
I like Crumes and Tisdale too but they are awfully small first of all and really the only playmakers we got. Hopefully Harris turns out to be a steal. Only two OL, one TE. Low on numbers more than anything. I would give the coaches the benefit of the doubt if this were the D side because they've proven they know how to get it done on that side (and I love our D side of the class btw) but the O has been terrible since Stoops has been here and the best way to change that is to bring in better players. I don't know if we did that.

You guys think we got a GREAT recruiter.

Y'all better be happy beating out Kent St and BC for 3star guys

I feel we have the best recruiter UK has ever had......especially in modern history. Now, that being said, that does not mean that Stoops et al is "great or elite at recruiting" nationally.

We all wish that we did better in recruiting. NO ONE is satisfied. But if you don't have a little pride that we just won 10 games (one of the best seasons in UK history) despite not putting out a complete product (deficiencies in passing game, etc) on the field (and despite our putrid football history), then you'll never have pride in most things.........whether sports or in life.

The big disappointment is on the offensive side. I dont have a problem with the defense but we are in desperate need of help offensively and we look like it is going to continue to be a struggle on that side of the ball.

I agree it's concerning we couldn't land better options at wr. Would walk into immediate PT, maybe even starting

Kentucky has to control the state no question about that.

If we keep getting 5.5 3* recruits like this then we’ll never be able to compete. Jeez people, offer sheets always trump ratings.

It’s also really important to note that Stoops’ win/loss records have never gone backwards. And he’s done so while showing a product that has plenty of room for improvement. Now, common sense will tell you that you can't improve your record infinitely, but he's gotten the job done thus far. If we ever get to the point where we are fairly consistent contenders in the SEC-E......I won't care as much about being ranked 30th in recruiting.

But once again, we always want more.....

If you think that kid had offers from Alabama and Georgia then I’ve got a big bridge to sell you over the East River.

He likely did have an offer from them. The question is you don't know what the offer was? He might have been a plan B.........C.......or D......for a program, but he might've had an offer.

He likely did have an offer from them. The question is you don't know what the offer was? He might have been a plan B.........C.......or D......for a program, but he might've had an offer.

Nothing against the kid at all, but he comes from a pretty tough area if he lives in the school district, and played on one of the worst coached teams in the state. He is one that can show a huge improvement.

If you think that kid had offers from Alabama and Georgia then I’ve got a big bridge to sell you over the East River.

And I have a white ass you can kiss. You’re one rude guy for a visitor over here.

I'm fine with top 30.

Recruiting rankings are good indicators....but not good predictors of what they'll be over 4-5 years.

We have talent that is top 30 in the country....it's not top 5 like a Bama or Georgia....but we have size and speed with some great talent. It's up to us to develop that talent.

Missouri under Pinkel wasn't dominating recruiting...but they had good talent. They developed that talent well and got to the East title game 2 years in a row over good teams like Georgia, USCjr, Florida, and UT who out recruited them by a mile.

I'm fine with top 30.

Recruiting rankings are good indicators....but not good predictors of what they'll be over 4-5 years.

We have talent that is top 30 in the country....it's not top 5 like a Bama or Georgia....but we have size and speed with some great talent. It's up to us to develop that talent.

Missouri under Pinkel wasn't dominating recruiting...but they had good talent. They developed that talent well and got to the East title game 2 years in a row over good teams like Georgia, USCjr, Florida, and UT who out recruited them by a mile.

I disagree on,Missouri getting the East 2 years over good teams. It was the weakest the East has ever been. Franklin had just left Vandy, Stoops had just started cleaning up Joker's mess, UT was on their 4th coach in about 6 years, Muschamp was showing he wasn't a good head coach, SOS dad retired, he just hadn't told anyone and Richt had disassociated himself from the football team. Those 2 Missouri teams would have struggled to get to 4-4 in today's East.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Ratings are everything!

Signed Josh Allen

Everyone signs players who have been overlooked, Thomas Davis had zero football offers and 1 NAIA basketball offer and was found by accident. He is nearing the end of a 14 year NFL career and multiple year all pro after being a 2 time AA. But those guys are rarer that 5* guys and to count on finding guys like that in every class is wishful thinking. That isn't to say kids aren't overlooked, but you are talking about 1 of him in 6 years.

Stoops needs to make a hire. It may mean losing someone, but so be it. The program can't move ahead in the sec with offensive talent that's not better than anyone they line up against .
They did ok this year with that talent.

Making moves based on solely the optics of a move is the move of a desperate team that doesn't believe in what they have. That should not be this team.

We just need to keep winning. If we follow up 10 wins with another good season say we finish with 8 wins and a bowl win we will improve our recruiting. Can't have a let down or set back. It's 8 + or bust.

He was named to the 6A All State team in Georgia and is cousins with Mecole Hardman.

Miss State, Clemson and South Carolina were still reaching out to him after he committed.

I disagree on,Missouri getting the East 2 years over good teams. It was the weakest the East has ever been. Franklin had just left Vandy, Stoops had just started cleaning up Joker's mess, UT was on their 4th coach in about 6 years, Muschamp was showing he wasn't a good head coach, SOS dad retired, he just hadn't told anyone and Richt had disassociated himself from the football team. Those 2 Missouri teams would have struggled to get to 4-4 in today's East.
I'm going to contest that for the 2013 Season...2014 was a down year I'll concede. They were an elite contender that season....a shootout SEC title game that had they made a few more plays? They play for a national title. Plenty of top draft picks too

-South Carolina finished the season #4 in the nation...with Clowney on the line. That was a high level group.

-Vanderbilt had James Franklin in 2013 and finished the season #24 in the nation.

-Georgia...though down...had an 8-4 season with Senior Aaron Murray with Gurley in the backfield (although he may have been injured in 2013?)

But my point is still valid. Mizzou still was out-recruited by the powerhouse programs....but they did a better job developing those players. The powerhouses could not maximize their 4-5 star players.

Reactions: catben
Everyone signs players who have been overlooked, Thomas Davis had zero football offers and 1 NAIA basketball offer and was found by accident. He is nearing the end of a 14 year NFL career and multiple year all pro after being a 2 time AA. But those guys are rarer that 5* guys and to count on finding guys like that in every class is wishful thinking. That isn't to say kids aren't overlooked, but you are talking about 1 of him in 6 years.
Not often but it happens. Our staff seems to be good at evaluating talent also, they are in early with a lot of kids then here comes the Alabama's of the world. The Super bowl did have a 6th round pick throwing to a 7th round pick so it happens everywhere

I agree it's concerning we couldn't land better options at wr. Would walk into immediate PT, maybe even starting

We're going to have to start showing a better passing game that doesn't rely mostly on 1 receiver to be successful in bringing in better players. Most wide receivers don't want to primarily be run blockers. If we show that we are going to put in more of an effort in the passing game, then more quality players will start signing.

If I was a highly ranked wide receiver and I looked at things without blue tinted glasses on, I wouldn't likely come here based on the system that is currently in place. It might have been the best option for us to run the last few years, but it isn't a very attractive style unless you are a mobile QB or a RB.

ADVERTISEMENT