ADVERTISEMENT

Uh Oh Kansas

Baby can't possibly defend this, right?

Either way, it won't matter. This is pretty damning, and until this gets sorted out (punishment and all), their recruiting will take a hit just like UNC's did for a few years.

Let's see how much Hurt wants to go there now.

Here's my prediction on how he/she/they will defend this:

"Sure, texts show he knew these Adidas guys were helping, but nowhere in any of the texts is payment or money mentioned. So these texts don't prove that Self knew about money changing hands to get kids to KU - just that Self had accepted 'help'".

The texts prove that adidas and Self were conspiring together.... and then adidas acting like a booster for KU paid players.

How is that any different than what happened to us in the 1980's when our boosters supposedly sent cash to a player ?
The KU case is even more serious than what UK was accused of. We shall see if they have similar consequences.

"Sure, texts show he knew these Adidas guys were helping, but nowhere in any of the texts is payment or money mentioned. So So these texts don't prove that Self knew about money changing hands to get kids to KU - just that Self had accepted 'help'".
They can say a lot of things but when the NCAA gets involved the investigation will drag them down for several years, whether they get slammed or come out smelling like a wilting rose.

One also wonders what made up and coming Nike star Andrew Wiggins wind up at an Adidas school, KU.
And he's not the only one they poached. Cliff Alexander and Kelly Oubre also played on Nike EYBL teams, and I think Josh Selby did too, though that predates the EYBL, so I'm not sure.

The Kansas situation is bad, but what's really being exposed in this investigation and trial is the attitude of willful blindness that permeates the top levels of college sports. A LOT of these coaches (probably most) are just insulating themselves as much as possible and letting others do the dirty work that goes into getting players. And as long as the pipeline is running, they just look away.

Self in particular seems like a master of the art, though I guess Sean Miller was trying to give him a run for his money.

Self responded: "That's how ur [it] works. At UNC and Duke." Gassnola said "at Kentucky as well".
There was no quote about Kentucky in the article. The author just said Gassnola said Kentucky as well without quoting him.

Odd that they would quote Self about Duke and UNC but not quote Gassnola about Kentucky. Would be interesting to see the transcripts of the text messages.

You would think that if Gassnola was quoted dozens of time in the article, and he implied in writing that Kentucky was cheating, that would be a big bombshell to quote his text about UK. But they didn’t. Hmm...

Can we just get the effin shoe companies and agents completely out of college basketball?

Seriously, aren’t schools making enough freaking money from the tv contracts?

If a kid insists on being paid to play in college, then eff him. I’m tired of all of this trashy nonsense.

It’s bad enough that players only stay for one year, and now we have to put up with this crooked, and apparently widespread corruption. Tired of all of it. Can’t we just play and enjoy sports anymore?

Last edited:
Self responded: "That's how ur [it] works. At UNC and Duke." Gassnola said "at Kentucky as well".

Lol with that. You don’t see the difference in direct quotes about Adidas and Self texts g each other then him justifying what he does by bringing the three most prominent programs from his competitor into it and using the excuse “they do it too”?

He’s certainly not going to justify his nonsense by mentioning a bunch of tier 2 programs like Michigan State. They’re always going to try and drag the big dogs in – there’s absolutely no impact by mentioning small programs like yourself.

Oh, and rapes.

"Sure, texts show he knew these Adidas guys were helping, but nowhere in any of the texts is payment or money mentioned. So these texts don't prove that Self knew about money changing hands to get kids to KU - just that Self had accepted 'help'".
Its Selfs job to recruit the kid not Adidas, that's why they get paid the big money.
Can we just get the effin shoe companies and agents completely out of college basketball?

Seriously, aren’t schools making enough freaking money from the tv contracts?

If a kid insists on being paid to play in college, then eff him. I’m tired of all of this trashy nonsense.

It’s bad enough that players only stay for one year, and now we have to put up with this crooked, and apparently widespread corruption. Tired of all of it. Can’t we just play and enjoy sports anymore?
I would say they should all wear Traxx but then they would be just another shoe in the game. Lol

We shall see.

Bill Self:

self-nothing.jpg

They can say a lot of things but when the NCAA gets involved the investigation will drag them down for several years, whether they get slammed or come out smelling like a wilting rose.
I was reading that the NCAA could choose to take the testimony that was given under oath and use it as evidence after the case is over. That could expedite things. I also read that the NCAA has agreed to wait till the trial was over before they took action.

Reactions: Smashcat
Jerrance Howard.= Wiggins, Alexander, Silvio\\

Que the Wiggins jokes. But its coming out now.

And Huntington Prep and Thomas Bryant are in this too, as is Louisville and Georgui Deng

Ha Corner still not showed up? Yet is liking posts? Again, still not sure how he can spin this. His best bet is to hope something bigger is afoot where too many programs are involved.

But sadly (for Kansas fans), I think Kansas is going to get hit hard before anything bigger comes down. They'll take the brunt of this first and it'll start with losing De Sousa and recruiting.

Not if everyone else had the same.

Might get lucky and even have a couple of kids that can dunk on the team.

Let's hope that college basketball doesn't lose the top 50 or so players to a pay to play league. It will be ugly. Just imagine having to watch BCG talent for eternity.

How are they going to spin this?

My guess is:
"Just got to get a couple real guys... using Adidas' amazing sneaker designs in Kansas colorways to excite recruits totally legally!"
Its 2018, they're gonna use "what about". Never address what you did, just say what about and throw it on everyone else. What about Nike, what about Kentucky, what about Duke, what about everyone else. It's an effective tool and will be used here.

What you are leaving out of your formula is that even though the talent level would be down is that UK would still have the best there was to play...

On the debate of talent level in regards to 1AD recruiting:

People still watch college players during the exact same time the NBA is in season. 98% of those players won't make the NBA. Yet it's still a great product.

Its 2018, they're gonna use "what about". Never address what you did, just say what about and throw it on everyone else. What about Nike, what about Kentucky, what about Duke, what about everyone else. It's an effective tool and will be used here.
I have three kids - 5, 7 and 12. Sounds like them day in and day out. Kids.

Reactions: awf
I still say; "Give Doc the shotgun..." (He can shoot)

Not to correct the great Marion Morrison but the actual quote is: “Give Doc the shotgun.
They'll be less apt to get nerv-i-ous...if he's on
the street howitzer”.

In vino veritas

Not to correct the great Marion Morrison but the actual quote is: “Give Doc the shotgun.
They'll be less apt to get nerv-i-ous...if he's on
the street howitzer”.

In vino veritas

No correction needed. I knew the exact quote but thanks. I modify to suit my needs...

Last edited:
Reactions: thebluestreak
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT