ADVERTISEMENT

Ugonna

I agree. Our player development is questionable at best. I would expect Ware to be a serviceable backup to Oscar at this point. He is not. Still, I prefer Ware in the game over Ugo.

I don't know what you have and have not seen. I have seen enough to know that Ugo is not ready for significant backup minutes at this point in a close contest.

In the last seven games, he's logged a grand total of 3 mins.

In the last seven games, he's logged a grand total of 3 mins.
Has he actually played that much?
I can't get over the fact that we have a guy with his size and shot blocking ability just sitting there on the bench and after 6 months of practice, he can't even get in ahead of Lance Ware, who shoupd also be way, way, way more developed than he is right now.

Anybody else wonder why this guy gets zero playing time, even though he has shown he is an ace shot blocker?

I know he gets lost out there at times, but the best way for him to figure it out, is to play in games like the one we played last night.

Yeah, he gets lost, but he provides something this team desperately needs, a shot blocker.

Here's the other thing. Oscar gives up a ton of layups, because he’s trying to stay out of foul trouble. So, either way, we're giving up points.

Oscar gives up a lot of points on pick & roll action and straight line layups and he shoots 50% from the ft line a lot. If Ugonna was developed enough to spell Oscar, that would allow Oscar to be more physical at the rim and not be so concerned with his foul count.

I gotta say, I'm a little concerned with the development of our bigs. Ware can't make a layup and has no post moves whatsoever and he's a junior. Ugonna must not be making any progress at all, if he can't even get in over Ware and Oscar still can't guard the p-n-r, that should have been fixed months ago.

We’re going to need Ugo in a big way next year, it might be in Cal's best interest to get him involved now, but we're in February now, so it looks like that's not going to happen.
I mostly agree with you. Been wanting Cal to play him more all season, so by March he can be a key contributor for 10-15mpg, because he does do something very good, something that Cal's best teams have had.

AND, I am not sure I would only play him "for Oscar". I could see playing him "with Oscar" some (maybe not a lot) with Oscar as the 4/PF. I mean Oscar guarding a 4 is no worse than Ware or maybe even Collins. And Oscar is a bigger outside (15') threat than Ware, and at least as much as Collins.
So if Oscar played 32min, Onyenso is the C for the other 8min, and for say 4min they are together, then Livingston gets the other 8 or so min at the 4 that Toppin is on the bench.

But next year, short of a surprise from Oscar, I am pretty confident that Onyenso will be our starting C/5. I hope Bradshaw can contribute some, 10-15mpg and be better than Lively for Duke.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I mostly agree with you. Been wanting Cal to play him more all season, so by March he can be a key contributor for 10-15mpg, because he does do something very good, something that Cal's best teams have had.

AND, I am not sure I would only play him "for Oscar". I could see playing him "with Oscar" some (maybe not a lot) with Oscar as the 4/PF. I mean Oscar guarding a 4 is no worse than Ware or maybe even Collins. And Oscar is a bigger outside (15') threat than Ware, and at least as much as Collins.
So if Oscar played 32min, Onyenso is the C for the other 8min, and for say 4min they are together, then Livingston gets the other 8 or so min at the 4 that Toppin is on the bench.

But next year, short of a surprise from Oscar, I am pretty confident that Onyenso will be our starting C/5. I hope Bradshaw can contribute some, 10-15mpg and be better than Lively for Duke.
At the pace that our coaches are developing bigs at UK right now, I don't see how Ugo will he ready to man the 5 next year. I think these coaches are just constantly trying to mold a team and are too consumed by that to spend enough one on one time with guys like Ugo.

Looking at Ware, he's maybe a smidge better now than he was when he got here 3 years ago. Seems like he's in a 10 year plan.

Talk is that Bradshaw will be too skinny to impact a lot. Kinda like a Collins I guess. The way we get pushed around inside a lot outside of OT Ugo becomes a super important piece for next years team if we are going to have much of a presence inside.

Reactions: JonathanW
Hey, where do you find player efficiency ratings for each game? I'm interested to see how each player perforned last night.

Kenpom behind the paywall has it player by player on a game by game basis. Well not really efficiency but offensive rating.

I'm not fully sure what they mean exactly or how they are computed but last night:

Chris Livingston - 148
Antonio Reeves - 130
Toppin - 116
Oscar - 111

The other guys I think didn't log enough mins maybe to count. I think Livingston is only so high because when he did shoot the ball he went 3-4. Also had 3 of our 9 offensive boards. Probably just a small sample thing tho.

FWIW we did put up 1.18 points per game on offense last night. That was the fourth best mark vs Miss St all season long.

We gave up 1.04 which is only 14th best.

Reactions: fatguy87
Oh

There we go. They have the same offensive rating numbers. They added the other guys tho

Theiro - 117
Collins - 163 (didn't play much but had a couple of good moments when he was in there)
Ware - 0 lol

There's also things like OBPM and DBPM which I'm not sure what they are.

I think really what people should look at with all this is the offensive rating along with the usage. Its easy to have a high offensive rating if you aren't taking a bulk of the shots. But the fact that Reeves was at 130 with the most usage, well obviously that spells great game.

Last takeaway from all this, Toppin was second in usage this game.

I don't think Toppin should be a focal point of the offense. Oscar's figure needs to go up and Toppin's needs to go down.

I haven't been that impressed by Onyenso's shot blocking ability to date. Not given the hype coming in. He is very late off his feet, and thus players don't seem to have too much difficulty shooting over him. I don't think he gets off his feet anywhere near as quickly as say Collins, but I don't think that's the issue. So, I'm wondering if maybe it's being drilled into him to stay down and not leave his feet and this is why he seems to get off his feet so late on block attempts. Or maybe he needs to get his timing down better. But whatever it is, he needs to improve his shot blocking quite a bit if he's going to live up to what I thought he was supposed to be in that regard.
This is the answer - when he does play smaller players score at will on him - his clock is 1/2 second behind - as atrocious offensively as Ware is he is a mobile and tough defender
Cal just trust him more
Cal sees these Cats everyday hopefully he plays his best players

Reactions: G-PIP
The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that Cal is trying to save him for a 2nd year, as opposed to give him 20mpg and have the NBA come calling.

But I just dont think Cal is good at/likes trying to develop raw players early. He'll give John Wall and AD all the minutes they want because of ranking and sheer talent, but anything less than a top10 guy, he seems to want to bench for the first year.
If a player is not a projected first round NBA pick, it seems Cal feels no need to develop them. Ugonna needs to play.

The next Bryce Hopkins.

Really, if Cal would've just given Hopkins like 10-15 MPG, he'd be the 3rd or 4th best player on this roster...
And we wouldn't have Livingston. That is how that works, unfortunately.

Kenpom behind the paywall has it player by player on a game by game basis. Well not really efficiency but offensive rating.

I'm not fully sure what they mean exactly or how they are computed but last night:

Chris Livingston - 148
Antonio Reeves - 130
Toppin - 116
Oscar - 111

The other guys I think didn't log enough mins maybe to count. I think Livingston is only so high because when he did shoot the ball he went 3-4. Also had 3 of our 9 offensive boards. Probably just a small sample thing tho.

FWIW we did put up 1.18 points per game on offense last night. That was the fourth best mark vs Miss St all season long.

We gave up 1.04 which is only 14th best.
Good info.
What about the +/- numbers that people come up with so fast.

Has he actually played that much?
I can't get over the fact that we have a guy with his size and shot blocking ability just sitting there on the bench and after 6 months of practice, he can't even get in ahead of Lance Ware, who shoupd also be way, way, way more developed than he is right now.
Can you imagine what an excellence coach could do with Ugonna? Play him situationally to shut down the paint, etc. Too bad he didn’t get much time early in the season to get some experience.

Ugonna should have played every minute that ware had gotten all season. I remember a time when Cal would over play his highly touted freshman no matter what.

Ugonna came to UK knowing that he would be playing behind Oscar (the national player of the year ) last season. He is still very raw on offense but it would be nice if the staff had let him play a lot early to get use to the speed in CBB. He will be much better next year.
Very true. I don't think Ugonna is shocked that he's not playing much. But I still think he could contribute in an area we really need help.

Reactions: westerncat
Can you imagine what an excellence coach could do with Ugonna? Play him situationally to shut down the paint, etc. Too bad he didn’t get much time early in the season to get some experience.
Lot of wishful thinking there.
Ugo reminds me a lot of N'Fally Dante who we tried to sign in 19.
Dante is just starting to come around in his SR year at Oregon.
His career block numbers are very pedestrian for a 6'11 supposedly athletic big.
Guess his coach sucks too.
Just don't buy the conspiracy theories that Cal intentionally holds kids back that could help the team win.
As a fan you may see it that way but I don't believe Cal sees it in him but refuses to play him for some reason.
If Ugonna is as good as some of you think, he should be giving Oscar hell in practice because our opponents who have length have.
If that was the case Cal would see it as would the staff and the rest of the team on a daily basis.
I'm not at practice but have doubts that's the case.

There were games over a month ago Ugonna would play 3 mins and gave 2 pts and 2 rebs. He never has really gotten a real chance yet Ware still gets clock. Why not give him some clock and maybe we could use him down the stretch especially when Oscar struggles on d.

Cal (U gonna) make me transfer.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
If ware would just hit at least 1/2 from the line when gets fouled I could live with it. He plays hisbutt off. We don't have real options obviously to these questions. He goes 0fer it seems everytime he has a chance to at least add a point. Ugh

10 bucks says he's looking at transfer. The defensive high school player of the year and he can't even get in the game to block the single shot. **** John Calipari man. He doesn't even realize how he wins. Shot blocking you ****ing idiot

10 bucks says he's looking at transfer. The defensive high school player of the year and he can't even get in the game to block the single shot. **** John Calipari man. He doesn't even realize how he wins. Shot blocking you ****ing idiot
Defensive POY?

Posts like this expose the basketball knowledge of some of the posters. Basketball is about matchups and Ugo does not have the agility to play too far away from the basket or to recover quickly during the pick and roll that teams are playing against us. He would be a major liability for us unless he can just stay underneath the basket.
Posts like this expose the hypocrisy of the Wheeler/Cal defenders who don't apply this same logic to him.

Good response and I think you're right, but do you agree that our big man development took a dive after KP left? Our bigs don't seem to be developing like they shoukd be.

Again, Lance is a Junior, he can't make a layup or a free throw. If KP was here, I think Ugo would be further along.
Great point, if Ugo can shoot FTs put him in to block shots and rebound until he gets 3 fouls then put Oscar back in. If Ugo fouls out then go to Ware.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I really doubt it. Unless Oscar returns again.

He knew when he came:
1) he would be behind the returning NPOY
2) there was a 3rd Yr backup C also
3) he was arriving late, not practicing until after Bahamas trip
So I really doubt he had much expectation to play a lot.
And if he was dominating so much in practice, then I think by now Ulis would have sat Cal down and said you need to play him.

I know he has mostly played vs cupcakes. But here are Onyenso's per30min stats, total and broken down vs P6 and vs cupcakes

Total: 11.2 pt, 11.8 reb, 4.5 blk, but has averaged playing only 4.9mpg

vs cupcakes (Howard, Duquesne, SC St, UNF, Yale, FAMU):
80min total
total 34 pt, 34 reb, 13 blk
per30min 12.75pt, 12.75 reb, 4.88 blk

vs P6 schools and Gonzaga:
27min total
total 6 pt, 8 reb, 3 blk
per30min 6.6 pt, 8.8 reb, 3.3 blk

Comparatively, vs P6 schools and Gonzaga, Ware's stats are:
135min total, 20pts, 28 reb, 2 blk
per30min 4.4 pt, 6.2 reb, 0.4 blk

When you have a shot blocking weapon like Ugo and you don't use him, just how serious are you in winning every game? We saw early in the season what kind of damage he does to other teams so had the coach kept playing him by now that experience would give us another real weapon to help win every game and the championship. Our interior D is terrible so no need of saying this guy could not effect that in a positive way, and probably big time.

Reactions: UKortho
When you have a shot blocking weapon like Ugo and you don't use him, just how serious are you in winning every game? We saw early in the season what kind of damage he does to other teams so had the coach kept playing him by now that experience would give us another real weapon to help win every game and the championship. Our interior D is terrible so no need of saying this guy could not effect that in a positive way, and probably big time.
Cal gonna unleash him in the SECT

So Onyenso's per30min stats in P6+Gonzaga games (6.6 pt, 8.8 reb, 3.3 blk), if Cal had played him more, those would be his floor. Because with more time, comes more experience, comes better play. So by now, in 10mpg of action he would be providing something like (ballpark) 3 pts, 3.5 reb & 1.5 blk (leading the team in BLKs in only 10mpg!).

Anybody else wonder why this guy gets zero playing time, even though he has shown he is an ace shot blocker?

I know he gets lost out there at times, but the best way for him to figure it out, is to play in games like the one we played last night.

Yeah, he gets lost, but he provides something this team desperately needs, a shot blocker.

Here's the other thing. Oscar gives up a ton of layups, because he’s trying to stay out of foul trouble. So, either way, we're giving up points.

Oscar gives up a lot of points on pick & roll action and straight line layups and he shoots 50% from the ft line a lot. If Ugonna was developed enough to spell Oscar, that would allow Oscar to be more physical at the rim and not be so concerned with his foul count.

I gotta say, I'm a little concerned with the development of our bigs. Ware can't make a layup and has no post moves whatsoever and he's a junior. Ugonna must not be making any progress at all, if he can't even get in over Ware and Oscar still can't guard the p-n-r, that should have been fixed months ago.

We’re going to need Ugo in a big way next year, it might be in Cal's best interest to get him involved now, but we're in February now, so it looks like that's not going to happen.
Just a Cal thing he brings these kids in then doesn't seem to have a clue how to use them or coach them up so they get benched. All these people who used to say Cal was coaching up players are crazy, I don't think he has ever really improved any player, they had the talent already he just gave some player the opportunity to play thru their mistakes and learn while others he refused to give them much of a chance., He has always done this which is why we get so many transfers who leave and instantly succeed at other schools.

Just a Cal thing he brings these kids in then doesn't seem to have a clue how to use them or coach them up so they get benched. All these people who used to say Cal was coaching up players are crazy, I don't think he has ever really improved any player, they had the talent already he just gave some player the opportunity to play thru their mistakes and learn while others he refused to give them much of a chance., He has always done this which is why we get so many transfers who leave and instantly succeed at other schools.
I mean I get it with some (kind of), when you have 11-12 kids who are all good (at least at some aspect), there are only 200 minutes to divide up, and your best 5 should get 2/3 to 3/4 of those minutes, not leaving a lot for the other 6-7 guys.
BUT.... when you have a guy that gives you something (important) no one else on the team does/can-do, then you GOT TO put him on the development-fast-track!!!

Reactions: jwphelps
See, it's games like this where Ugo could come in and D up a 7 footer that Oscar can't handle.
How is Ugo not good enough to just keep Castleton in front of him?

Oscar isn’t good enough either.
He has taken a step back, but at 6'9", he just can't guard long 7 footers.
How has this coaching staff not developed him enough to get in these games? He should have been in there tonight to take Castleton away.

ADVERTISEMENT