ADVERTISEMENT

Ugly win

I was irritated often for the following reasons:

1) Oscar was acting a bit out of character. For a while, he was trying to do too much and even be fancy.
2) Calipari's bizarre obsession with feeding it to Oscar after seeing it's just not working (and it never did).
3) Calipari's obsession with more Wheeler. I didn't see the box score, but I'm pretty sure he had 25+ minutes.
4) Where the hell was Reeves most of the game?!?! Dude just went off last week, and he barely saw the court!
5) LIVE AND DIE BY THE MIDRANGE. I'm sick of seeing this lazy shot selection. We don't have good enough shooters to be taking 50% of our shots from 15-18 feet out. I'd rather us live/die by the 3 than the midrange as it has a higher payoff for the gamble!
6) The usual top Benny Lineup was only seen for a short period, yet again.

I just hope Cal goes exclusively with the Benny in the SECT and NCAAT. Wheeler is more of a situational back up, not a full timer. But I'll be damned if Cal isn't going to continue to shove it in our faces with Wheeler over and over and over again. I wish Cal would get to that mic post-game and explain exactly what he - the all-knowing Hall of Fame Coach GOD - sees as wrong with the Benny Five. What is it he sees on that floor, or in practice, that keeps him from that combination for most of the game? Just explain himself in normal terms, not Calipari word salad, or standard cheese d*ck coach speak.

Last edited:
Being horribly sick for most of the week, was able to watch a lot of CBB and I will defend BBN fans about one thing until I'm dead-which may not be long if I can't shake this flu bug, Kentucky gets the single worst home whistle I've ever seen.

In today's CBB, you have officials who go above and beyond to kiss the ass of the home coach/team/crowd and do things like give a role player at Iowa like Tony Perkins 16 FTA in an individual game, yet Kentucky doesn't get that many team attempts? We won't even speak to the fact they won't receive simple rules violation calls like Castleton's traveling. It's truly odd.

Doesn't matter if the crowd is/isn't into the game either. They are not going to get calls like rest of teams receive when playing on their home floor.

1) Oscar was acting a bit out of character. For a while, he was trying to do too much and even be fancy.
2) Calipari's bizarre obsession with feeding it to Oscar after seeing it's just not working (and it never did).
3) Calipari's obsession with more Wheeler. I didn't see the box score, but I'm pretty sure he had 25+ minutes.
4) Where the hell was Reeves most of the game?!?! Dude just went off last week, and he barely saw the court!
5) LIVE AND DIE BY THE MIDRANGE. I'm sick of seeing this lazy shot selection. We don't have good enough shooters to be taking 50% of our shots from 15-18 feet out. I'd rather us live/die by the 3 than the midrange as it has a higher payoff for the gamble!

I just hope Cal goes exclusively with the Benny in the SECT and NCAAT. Wheeler is more of a situational back up, not a full timer. But I'll be damned if Cal isn't going to continue to shove it in our faces with Wheeler over and over and over again. I wish Cal would get to that mic post-game and explain exactly what he - the all-knowing Hall of Fame Coach GOD - sees as wrong with the Benny Five. What is it he sees on that floor, or in practice, that keeps him from that combination for most of the game? Just explain himself in normal terms, not Calipari word salad, or standard cheese d*ck coach speak.
Im not so sure he knows how too. His cal word salad and cheese Dick coach speak is all that he knows. We prevailed last night despite Cals best attempt to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. His coaching is such an eye sore and dumbfounding bad. If we were paying him $9000/year at the moment it would be too much. Just make his ass sit at the end of the bench and keep his pie hole shut. It really is the only chance this team has.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Ugly, but encouraging that we won despite Oscar's worst game ever. Excluding Oscar's 2-14, the rest of our team shot an efficient 54% from the field.

When Oscar is being guarded by 7 footers good things do not happen when you feed him the ball. Cow was pretty close to the action, I was hoping he would notice that
When Oscar and toppin had spacing and he could dump off that worked well. We just didn’t see that enough.

Some of those ugly Florida wins are the sweetest!
Gator.png

Goodbye-Florida-Gators.gif

If the Benny 5 was Cal's idea, he would play it 30 minutes a game.

Maybe he should think of an idea that involves developing Ugonna to help Oscar stay out of foul trouble.

Maybe he should think of an idea that involves developing Ugonna to help Oscar stay out of foul trouble.
Why not put Ugonna in last night to guard Frankenstein? Ugonna is taller and would have given him more problems imo. Yet, humpty dumpty stood over there yelling. He just had no clue in game of how to adjust or counter what's happening.

Reactions: kyjeff1
But I'll take the win.

We should have won by at least double digits. We never could put them away. Oscar was terrible offensively but every time we got a lead we kept feeding him the ball. Castleton got in his head early and took up residence all night. I've rarely seen Oscar look like that.

Still, Fredrick making shots was huge tonight. One of the positives of Wheeler being in with Wallace is that CW looks to score when they're on the floor together. That made a huge difference. Wheeler made just enough to plays to stay on the floor, but I'll admit I wanted him out of the game late. He deferred to Wallace late, which was good.

I thought Toppin was very good tonight taking the ball to the goal. That's what he needs to do until teams prove they can stop it instead of shooting fadeaways from 10-12 feet. He can get those fadeaways any time, so he should drive first and fadeaway as a last resort.

I still want to see Reeves and Fredrick on the floor together. Reeves was making shots, so I would have put him in for Wheeler late in the game. He's another shooter/scorer and he makes his free throws.

If you had told me Oscar only scores 4 points, I would have thought it's a loss for sure, so I'll take the win and deal with the irritations.
Agree with all as usual with you, but Reeves was getting abused on defense.

Reactions: storm1507

To add insult to injury .. I listened to the post game .. Cal " who won the game for us " like he's the master level teacher questioning his teen pupils " anyone , who won the game for us " and I shit you not , Cohn John Calapari states , with a straight face " Savir Wheeler won this game for us tonight " Its crazy his love affair with the guy , I think because he knows the majority of the state wants Wheeler to be a backup he's gonna slam the guy in our face . Wins and losses be damned . I miss Morg, he told us this was going to happen .

Reactions: kyjeff1 and UKortho
Being horribly sick for most of the week, was able to watch a lot of CBB and I will defend BBN fans about one thing until I'm dead-which may not be long if I can't shake this flu bug, Kentucky gets the single worst home whistle I've ever seen.

In today's CBB, you have officials who go above and beyond to kiss the ass of the home coach/team/crowd and do things like give a role player at Iowa like Tony Perkins 16 FTA in an individual game, yet Kentucky doesn't get that many team attempts? We won't even speak to the fact they won't receive simple rules violation calls like Castleton's traveling. It's truly odd.

Doesn't matter if the crowd is/isn't into the game either. They are not going to get calls like rest of teams receive when playing on their home floor.
Get well soon, our friend.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
To add insult to injury .. I listened to the post game .. Cal " who won the game for us " like he's the master level teacher questioning his teen pupils " anyone , who won the game for us " and I shit you not , Cohn John Calapari states , with a straight face " Savir Wheeler won this game for us tonight " Its crazy his love affair with the guy , I think because he knows the majority of the state wants Wheeler to be a backup he's gonna slam the guy in our face . Wins and losses be damned . I miss Morg, he told us this was going to happen .
Yeah I seen that also.Just shook my damn head.

Reactions: ManitouDan

I mean is Ugonna on the team still? You wouldn’t think it. Hell when was the last game he played in?

Reactions: kyjeff1
Cal has lost.his damn mind. Collins and Big Dog Cason won that. Sahvir played his part well but that’s statement by Cal is just delusional

Cal has lost.his damn mind. Collins and Big Dog Cason won that. Sahvir played his part well but that’s statement by Cal is just delusional
The only thing I see that’s a plus with Wheeler on the point is Wallace looking for shots. Cason hit some big shots down the stretch, kept Cow from blowing it.
If Oscar hadn’t fouled out Cow would have went down feeding the post

Agree with all as usual with you, but Reeves was getting abused on defense.
Thank you. This is the type of info I was asking about since I listened and didn't get to watch.

So, FL hacked, double teamed, etc on Reeves?

Thank you. This is the type of info I was asking about since I listened and didn't get to watch.

So, FL hacked, double teamed, etc on Reeves?
No Reeves got back doored a couple of times ANd the in thing I do like about Cal is he hates when guys get beat in D. Hates it. But we still needed Reeves in there.

Reactions: michaeluk26
But I'll take the win.

We should have won by at least double digits. We never could put them away. Oscar was terrible offensively but every time we got a lead we kept feeding him the ball. Castleton got in his head early and took up residence all night. I've rarely seen Oscar look like that.

Still, Fredrick making shots was huge tonight. One of the positives of Wheeler being in with Wallace is that CW looks to score when they're on the floor together. That made a huge difference. Wheeler made just enough to plays to stay on the floor, but I'll admit I wanted him out of the game late. He deferred to Wallace late, which was good.

I thought Toppin was very good tonight taking the ball to the goal. That's what he needs to do until teams prove they can stop it instead of shooting fadeaways from 10-12 feet. He can get those fadeaways any time, so he should drive first and fadeaway as a last resort.

I still want to see Reeves and Fredrick on the floor together. Reeves was making shots, so I would have put him in for Wheeler late in the game. He's another shooter/scorer and he makes his free throws.

If you had told me Oscar only scores 4 points, I would have thought it's a loss for sure, so I'll take the win and deal with the irritations.
Ugly wins are way better than pretty losses....but the point you make is a valid one.

Ugly wins are way better than pretty losses....but the point you make is a valid one.
I do think FL had a good game plan for Reeves. They wouldn't let him get open for three. Even though he did have a couple lapses on defense, I was as shocked as anyone he wasn't in, in the final stretch. I like Sahvir, but he's had enough chances at the ends of games, and he's shown he panic turnovers and can't make free throws, especially when it's 1 and 1. Pretty sure Toppin missed a crucial front end. We used to be real good about getting it to Herro and Quickley at the ends of games for those FTs. How are we not trying to get it to CJ, who shoots a really good percentage in these situations? I still think this team could be good, but for an experienced team, it just feels like the overall basketball IQ and situational awareness is a little low across the board on this team.

I know Wheeler had a solid game , didnt really hurt us any , but not playing Reeves after his , what , 27 point performance last game out , then blaming it on his defense is just depressing . Our coach lies about a player's D to make an excuse for why he benched him , he tells the media " he gave up 5 backdoor cuts " Its a lie . And its sooooooo inconsistent with how hes handled other players who get their lunch handed to them . Thats where my frustration boils over . Some guys get ton of leash , others get none . And it changes from game to game . I mean this guy started Lance Ware multiple times this year . in big games too. Why did it take him 12-14 games to realize .. hmm I actually have a better 5 to run out there ? Maddening .
I bet Reeves guards better Tues night.

I do think FL had a good game plan for Reeves. They wouldn't let him get open for three. Even though he did have a couple lapses on defense, I was as shocked as anyone he wasn't in, in the final stretch. I like Sahvir, but he's had enough chances at the ends of games, and he's shown he panic turnovers and can't make free throws, especially when it's 1 and 1. Pretty sure Toppin missed a crucial front end. We used to be real good about getting it to Herro and Quickley at the ends of games for those FTs. How are we not trying to get it to CJ, who shoots a really good percentage in these situations? I still think this team could be good, but for an experienced team, it just feels like the overall basketball IQ and situational awareness is a little low across the board on this team.
Really inexcusable coaching. Last four minutes Wheeler should not b in the game. Reeves, Frederick ,Oscar, Toppin, Wallace, or Collins if anyone is in foul trouble. Just a simple matter of math . Why not give your team the best chance to win.

Reactions: FinancialPlannerZac
Before Ullis was added to the coaching staff, Wheeler's turnover to assist ratio was terrible. Now, he's distributing without turning it over as much. Oscar was clearly out of the game mentally. Castleton was living rent free in his mind all night. It didn't help watching the refs call every foul on Oscar while Castleton got away with 6 walks, 800 handchecks, and 45 brusies on his arms from Castleton as well. I'm surprised Oscar didn't become a double ampentee after the game.

Calipari's coaching is like getting a root canal without the numbing. Great recruiter, terrible coach.
Castleton gets a Timme-like whistle, on everything from drawing phantom fouls down to the "creative" footwork that was ignored all night.

Reactions: aikenite4uk
They got their first team foul in the second half at the 9 min mark.
Ok, I understand that, I'm not sure what it has to do w my post! I'm not dissing Oscar, just saying he had bad nite. No biggie, he will bounce back. Goof job on boards still

Ok, I understand that, I'm not sure what it has to do w my post! I'm not dissing Oscar, just saying he had bad nite. No biggie, he will bounce back. Goof job on boards still
Sorry JC, was supporting you. Insane how much contact he gets with so few fouls. For a team that feeds the post with the NPOY we have had some odd foul situation in games this year (eg Vandy no starter fouls).

Reactions: JC CATS
Would someone define what "Hate" means on this message board? I see it thrown out a lot on this board.
I can only define it as I see it. Hate is often used in a cliche type as hate getting up, hate going to work, hate certain foods etc.
No problem.
Hate becomes a problem when whatever I hate consumes me.
It's like that someone you can't stand, or has done you wrong walks into the room you're in.
It changes you and that person knowingly or unknowingly controls us.
JMO.

Reactions: jrm693
I can only define it as I see it. Hate is often used in a cliche type as hate getting up, hate going to work, hate certain foods etc.
No problem.
Hate becomes a problem when whatever I hate consumes me.
It's like that someone you can't stand, or has done you wrong walks into the room you're in.
It changes you and that person knowingly or unknowingly controls us.
JMO.
Great definition.....I just think some on here use the word Hate to define this that do not like the product our coach is delivering...I am sure some hate him but most hate the product.

Reactions: Elliott Tim
ADVERTISEMENT