ADVERTISEMENT

Ugly win

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
But I'll take the win.

We should have won by at least double digits. We never could put them away. Oscar was terrible offensively but every time we got a lead we kept feeding him the ball. Castleton got in his head early and took up residence all night. I've rarely seen Oscar look like that.

Still, Fredrick making shots was huge tonight. One of the positives of Wheeler being in with Wallace is that CW looks to score when they're on the floor together. That made a huge difference. Wheeler made just enough to plays to stay on the floor, but I'll admit I wanted him out of the game late. He deferred to Wallace late, which was good.

I thought Toppin was very good tonight taking the ball to the goal. That's what he needs to do until teams prove they can stop it instead of shooting fadeaways from 10-12 feet. He can get those fadeaways any time, so he should drive first and fadeaway as a last resort.

I still want to see Reeves and Fredrick on the floor together. Reeves was making shots, so I would have put him in for Wheeler late in the game. He's another shooter/scorer and he makes his free throws.

If you had told me Oscar only scores 4 points, I would have thought it's a loss for sure, so I'll take the win and deal with the irritations.

I'll take any win.We need all we can get.Yes it was ugly and we allowed the Gators right back in it.Just glad we made some free throws.Likely to be a different outcome when we go down to the chop shop but that's down the road.

One thing I failed to mention. We did let them back into the game after leading by 14, but you do have to credit the guys for making enough plays down the stretch to keep Florida at bay. We definitely had pressure on. Collins made free throws and he hasn't played much. Wallace made plays, made shots, and made free throws. It's impressive that we kept them at bay.

But I'll take the win.

We should have won by at least double digits. We never could put them away. Oscar was terrible offensively but every time we got a lead we kept feeding him the ball. Castleton got in his head early and took up residence all night. I've rarely seen Oscar look like that.

Still, Fredrick making shots was huge tonight. One of the positives of Wheeler being in with Wallace is that CW looks to score when they're on the floor together. That made a huge difference. Wheeler made just enough to plays to stay on the floor, but I'll admit I wanted him out of the game late. He deferred to Wallace late, which was good.

I thought Toppin was very good tonight taking the ball to the goal. That's what he needs to do until teams prove they can stop it instead of shooting fadeaways from 10-12 feet. He can get those fadeaways any time, so he should drive first and fadeaway as a last resort.

I still want to see Reeves and Fredrick on the floor together. Reeves was making shots, so I would have put him in for Wheeler late in the game. He's another shooter/scorer and he makes his free throws.

If you had told me Oscar only scores 4 points, I would have thought it's a loss for sure, so I'll take the win and deal with the irritations.
Ugly win is what this team is at this point. I don’t get why Frederick and reeves can’t play more together, the lineup combos from cal change momentum for the other team every game and he still does them

But I'll take the win.

Toppin played maybe his best game. Active on both ends. Attacked the rim. He is like a different player from earlier in the year. He and Wallace were very good.

Frederick finally got something to go down.

This is just not a very good team. It is what it is.

Before Ullis was added to the coaching staff, Wheeler's turnover to assist ratio was terrible. Now, he's distributing without turning it over as much. Oscar was clearly out of the game mentally. Castleton was living rent free in his mind all night. It didn't help watching the refs call every foul on Oscar while Castleton got away with 6 walks, 800 handchecks, and 45 brusies on his arms from Castleton as well. I'm surprised Oscar didn't become a double ampentee after the game.

Calipari's coaching is like getting a root canal without the numbing. Great recruiter, terrible coach.

Ugly win is what this team is at this point. I don’t get why Frederick and reeves can’t play more together, the lineup combos from cal change momentum for the other team every game and he still does them
This is the biggest problem for this team. Cal doesn’t play a go to 5. He has 20 different combinations of players and he’s always looking for more. Play your best 5 at this point man. Our best 5 should be getting 25-30 min a game together unless of fouls. At one point cal had out there Livingston and toppin toward the end. I guess he gave up on ware after giving that guy a ton of minutes most of the season. It’s all perplexing to say the least.

But I'll take the win.

Hell, it would have been nice to see Reeves on the floor AT ALL in the second half. I guess the Guido brain trust forgot about him.

I wish we were good. It's clear we lack one more good player and the coaching staff just cheers really. I think they go over what they gonna do over at cals when they visit his house more so than college basketball stuff.

we just don't have it like the last 4 years.

Thought it was one of the best team wins we have had, before we ship Oscar to Siberia he did have 15 rebounds and 3 assists and a steal or 2
The team is playing good basketball.
What are we 6-1 since turnaround?
I still believe this team can make some noise in March madness.
CJ Frederick is probably the biggest reason this season has gone the way it has. He was in a slump from word go first game and has been all season really. If he can get back to making three or four threes and shooting at a 45% clip this team will be dangerous

When Oscar is being guarded by 7 footers good things do not happen when you feed him the ball. Cow was pretty close to the action, I was hoping he would notice that
Amen. There are teams Oscar can bully in the post, but FL isn't one of them and neither is Alabama. Force feeding him in the post almost cost us this game.

No need to keep force feeding Oscar the ball and criminal to keep reeves on the bench as long as he did the 2nd half. We won despite Cals bad coaching (as usual) but a W is a W.
Games like that we need to have Reeves and CJ shoot a lot of 3’s

This game was just more proof that Cal has one game plan and one game plan only.

If the opponent had AD, Cuz, Randle, Towns and Nerlens in the paint, Cal would still force feed the ball into Oscar, while elite shooters stand out on the arch wide open.

He is also more interested in building up self esteem than winning games.

I'm just waiting him out at this point.

But I'll take the win.

Good report . I'd have to add not playing our 3 guard lineup in half 2 nearly lost the game for us . That and forcing the ball into Oscar like he was going to score against Castleton was the very definition of insanity . Another game where our best lineup played about 4 minutes . We will never know how good this team could have been . We do know its pretty average as we stand today , But Cal will experiment to the ends of the earth as opposed to playing Cason, Cj and Antonio together . Makes me both sad and mad at the same time .

I was unable to watch the game so listened on the radio. After looking at the box score noticed Reeves did not get off a 3 in 18+ minutes. What kind of defense was FL playing on him? It sure is not like Reeves to not be able to get his shot off....just curious.

I was unable to watch the game so listened on the radio. After looking at the box score noticed Reeves did not get off a 3 in 18+ minutes. What kind of defense was FL playing on him? It sure is not like Reeves to not be able to get his shot off....just curious.
He was on the bench .. Cal didnt play him , said his defense was so entirely bad he couldn't even put him in the game . Said he gave up 5 back door cuts .. a total lie and I cant figure out why a coach would publicly lie to make a player look bad , or maybe an attempt to make his own coaching decision look better ? who knows , the guys a lunatic .

Last edited:
I know Wheeler had a solid game , didnt really hurt us any , but not playing Reeves after his , what , 27 point performance last game out , then blaming it on his defense is just depressing . Our coach lies about a player's D to make an excuse for why he benched him , he tells the media " he gave up 5 backdoor cuts " Its a lie . And its sooooooo inconsistent with how hes handled other players who get their lunch handed to them . Thats where my frustration boils over . Some guys get ton of leash , others get none . And it changes from game to game . I mean this guy started Lance Ware multiple times this year . in big games too. Why did it take him 12-14 games to realize .. hmm I actually have a better 5 to run out there ? Maddening .

I know Wheeler had a solid game , didnt really hurt us any , but not playing Reeves after his , what , 27 point performance last game out , then blaming it on his defense is just depressing . Our coach lies about a player's D to make an excuse for why he benched him , he tells the media " he gave up 5 backdoor cuts " Its a lie . And its sooooooo inconsistent with how hes handled other players who get their lunch handed to them . Thats where my frustration boils over . Some guys get ton of leash , others get none . And it changes from game to game . I mean this guy started Lance Ware multiple times this year . in big games too. Why did it take him 12-14 games to realize .. hmm I actually have a better 5 to run out there ? Maddening .
It's 2023 and our HOF coach thought it was a good idea to start Lance Ware several games AT THE 4!!!! That's BCG level incompetence. Ware is more offensively challenged than Mark Coury.

While it wasn’t pretty as a result it was encouraging that we stretched the lead a few different times but obviously couldn’t slam the door due to Oscar being dominated. I don’t want to be negative about our tourney chances but in true seed lists I can find with consensus, we only have one game against a top 25 opponent remaining. We gotta keep winning and at a high rate because the SEC being down outside of Bama and UT is about to kill us if we don’t. Perfect example last night, we beat the 3rd best team we’ve beaten all year and it did absolutely nothing for our resume.

Before Ullis was added to the coaching staff, Wheeler's turnover to assist ratio was terrible. Now, he's distributing without turning it over as much. Oscar was clearly out of the game mentally. Castleton was living rent free in his mind all night. It didn't help watching the refs call every foul on Oscar while Castleton got away with 6 walks, 800 handchecks, and 45 brusies on his arms from Castleton as well. I'm surprised Oscar didn't become a double ampentee after the game.

Calipari's coaching is like getting a root canal without the numbing. Great recruiter, terrible coach.
There was one that was so incredibly egregious. Oscar went for a two handed slam and you could audibly hear the slap on Oscar's arm it was so hard and loud. O misses the dunk and it goes out of bounds with nary a whistle.

I know we are not "good" at this point but give us a fair whistle and I'd like to see how much better we'd look. If they called 2 of the umpteen travels on Castleton and 4 of the slaps on Oscar this is a 10+ pt win. I'm pretty sure on two of Castleton's travels he ended up getting an and-1 immediately after.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT