ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA positioning themselves for a #1 seed in the West

Blueworld_3.0

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2008
Don't know if anyone has noticed but, UCLA has quietly positioned themselves to take the #1 seed out West in the NCAA tourney. Possibly even the overall #1 spot. They've now won 14 games in a row (including their lone neutral court win over UK) and just won at Arizona State on Thursday night. They will be tested on Sat. at Arizona but, they currently lead the Pac 12 at 8-0 and are #1 nationally in the power rankings. Gonzaga seems to be faltering and there doesn't seem to be any other teams that could be moved out West to take that #1 seed from the Bruins.
In fact, if UCLA were to win at Arizona on Sat. and finish their conference season unbeaten, they could very well take the #1 overall seed in the tourney. Purdue might have a stronger claim however, I suspect the Boilers will drop another game or two before the season ends.
We all can't stand Mick Cronin but, it seems pretty obvious the dude can coach. Even though there is no guarantee that the overall #1 will win the tourney, the thought of UCLA having the easiest path to another Title while UK struggles to make it into the field, is sickening.

Last edited:
I mean if they win out in the Pac12, I don't think there would be much of an argument for the #1 seed except for maybe Houston or Bama if they win out. Big ifs though. Also, is Houston a part of the new conference realignment?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Don't know if anyone has noticed but, UCLA has quietly positioned themselves to take the #1 seed out West in the NCAA tourney. Possibly even the overall #1 spot. They've now won 14 games in a row (including their lone neutral court win over UK) and just won at Arizona State on Thursday night. They will be tested on Sat. at Arizona but, they currently lead the Pac 12 at 8-0 and are #1 nationally in the power rankings. Gonzaga seems to be faltering and there doesn't seem to be any other teams that could be moved out West to take that #1 seed from the Bruins.
In fact, if UCLA were to win at Arizona on Sat. and finish their conference season unbeaten, they could very well take the #1 overall seed in the tourney. Purdue might have a stronger claim however, I suspect the Boilers will drop another game or two before the season ends.
We all can't stand Mick Cronin but, it seems pretty obvious the dude can coach. However, the thought of UCLA having the easiest path to another Title is sickening.

Mick Cronin is a very good but not great coach imo. He had a bunch of solid teams at cincinatti. I can’t see him winning a title with his style though. He’s another guy that prefers to grind games out. Just feel like you give a lot of inferior teams a chance that way but Bennett won one so who knows.

They’re usually not good enough on offense.

Clearly his best team at this point however. He’s got the pedigree too. A part of both Pitino and Huggins coaching trees.

Funny how things work out. i really thought we had a good chance to catch and overtake ucla when cal first got here. now that’s just a pipe dream and i’m now concerned about unCHEAT catching and overtaking UK. 😕

They’re not #1 until @Aike says so. Sagarin, ESPN, NET, doesn’t matter.

Until Aike says so they’re just a bunch of Cronin CRONIES.

Mick Cronin is a very good but not great coach imo. He had a bunch of solid teams at cincinatti. I can’t see him winning a title with his style though. He’s another guy that prefers to grind games out. Just feel like you give a lot of inferior teams a chance that way but Bennett won one so who knows.

They’re usually not good enough on offense.

Clearly his best team at this point however. He’s got the pedigree too. A part of both Pitino and Huggins coaching trees.
If you recall, there were some comments attributed to Cronin and his staff after they beat Kentucky basically to the effect that they "had no business winning that game" against us. It seemed to me that he was saying UK had superior talent versus UCLA. The comments weren't said to a reporter or part of a official interview. Just stuff that was overheard amongst the UCLA coaches after the game. It was reported by a few outlets and discussed here.
Tells me either Cronin can coach pretty well or that Calipari is TERRIBLE. Of course both of those things could be true.

If you recall, there were some comments attributed to Cronin and his staff after they beat Kentucky basically to the effect that they "had no business winning that game" against us. It seemed to me that he was saying UK had superior talent versus UCLA. The comments weren't said to a reporter or part of a official interview. Just stuff that was overheard amongst the UCLA coaches after the game. It was reported by a few outlets and discussed here.
Tells me either Cronin can coach pretty well or that Calipari is TERRIBLE. Of course both of those things could be true.

UCLA is good this season. They’re not better than Bama and a few other teams though. But cronin was right if he did indeed say that. And it’s more about Cal badly mismanaging this team and roster than them however. They didn’t exactly dominate us. They led the whole game but we were at least within striking range most of the second half. Not like the missouri or bama games where we just got waxed.

Bona their freshman center has really come on, which gives them more balance. He is an upgrade over who they had at center the last few years. They are pretty experienced. They sometimes start 3 seniors who have been at UCLA since they were freshman. If they can sweep the Arizona schools they will be sitting pretty, but they probably split those games. Right now UCLA would be the one seed in the west. Arizona 2. Gonzaga is a bit down but will be a 4 type seed no one wants to play.

Last edited:
It’s an incredibly down year for the sport nationwide….UK, Duke and UNC have all been major disappointments. Gonzaga is a shell of itself compared to recent years.UCLA and Kansas have good records but I’ve watched several of their games and they are both just okay with not a lot of talent and offensively limited. Houston, Alabama, Purdue and Arizona I think are pretty good but not typical #1 seed quality teams. The NCAA tournament is going to be WILD….

We played about as bad as we could play v UCLA in the Mecca and it was a 2 point game with 4 minutes left.

Trust me when I tell you the Bruins don't want to see UK in the Dance.

• Haha
Reactions: Nine_lives
I'm not sure I agree UCLA is not talented. They have 3 guys who could get drafted and 2 more seniors (Campbell and Singleton) who are very solid. They are down 3 at Arizona, but that is a tough place to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
We all can't stand Mick Cronin but, it seems pretty obvious the dude can coach. Even though there is no guarantee that the overall #1 will win the tourney, the thought of UCLA having the easiest path to another Title while UK struggles to make it into the field, is sickening.
Funny you type this and then Tommy Lloyd’s Arizona is beating them by 10 the next day.

Tommy Lloyd is THE guy Mitch needs to make an offer that can’t be refused whenever Cal hangs it up.

Cronin will never win a title. Last year was a fluke tourney run. Never made it past the Sweet 16 b4 that.

They made a statement against Arizona.

Funny you type this and then Tommy Lloyd’s Arizona is beating them by 10 the next day.

Tommy Lloyd is THE guy Mitch needs to make an offer that can’t be refused whenever Cal hangs it up.
What has Lloyd ever win?

He could just be another Tubby.

Currently UK has the best coach in college basketball.

But go on with your opponent love.

UCLA is not winning anything either.

Cronin has 1 FF.

Lloyd has zero.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
They made a statement against Arizona.
A 6 point loss to Arizona on their home court is not a statement of any kind, good or bad. UCLA gets AU again in the final game of the season in Westwood. No idea how it will turn out but, that game may be determine the #1 seed in the WEST.
One thing is certain, this UK team isn't going to have to worry about playing for a #1 seed.

A 6 point loss to Arizona on their home court is not a statement of any kind, good or bad. UCLA gets AU again in the final game of the season in Westwood. No idea how it will turn out but, that game may be determine the #1 seed in the WEST.
One thing is certain, this UK team isn't going to have to worry about playing for a #1 seed.
I was being factitious because Arizona won.
Has nothing to do with Ky.

What has Lloyd ever win?

He could just be another Tubby.

Currently UK has the best coach in college basketball.

But go on with your opponent love.

UCLA is not winning anything either.

Cronin has 1 FF.

Lloyd has zero.
Bill Self is easily the better coach at this moment. Lloyd has been coaching for 2/3 years. Cal has been coaching for 40. Are you 12 years old? There's just no way you're this dumb when it comes to basketball. Like some of the stuff you say is just laughable.

Reactions: tomrain
Bill Self is easily the better coach at this moment. Lloyd has been coaching for 2/3 years. Cal has been coaching for 40. Are you 12 years old? There's just no way you're this dumb when it comes to basketball. Like some of the stuff you say is just laughable.
Lloyd has been coaching for 1.5 years and his record is like 50-7, which is insane. Especially considering his first year was supposed to be a rebuilding year.

And Gonzaga has not been as good since he left, he left after the 39-1 year, Lloyd is the best young coaching prospect in 2-3 decades and anyone that thinks otherwise is a ****ing fool.

We would be absolutely blessed to get one last year of Cal’s 1 and done mega class and then hiring Lloyd.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Ucla is what I thought Kentucky should be the last 3 years.
3 years ago UK was very good, considered one of the 6 favorites going into the NCAA-T that never happened.
Last year UK was very good, one of the best 2 teams in the country the middle 1/3 of the season, considered one of the 6-8 favorites going into the NCAA-T, that largely due to injuries faltered down the stretch culminated with a historically bad loss.
Now 2 years ago, that was bad enough to get a coach fired (but didn't).

I actually thought we were the better team when we played UCLA. Wasnt that the game we missed free throw after free throw, Oscar was in foul trouble early. and our offense was putrid? Oh but wait, thats almost every game...LOL

ADVERTISEMENT