ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA getting blown out again

Coach Alford screwed up by depending on his son.

Did having him on the team impact his recruiting? Sure sounds like it.

Whether kids leave earlier than expected or not, these coaches are getting huge salaries to be prepared for all situations.

My personal wish is that Alford continues in that role just like I hope Crean and Pitino hang in there.

Alford has a state of 38 million people to recruit from, surely he can find 13 guys to ball.

Utah is a decent team, likely will be in our group for the NCAA.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alford is not going to be in LA very long with those kinds of performances.

You would think a school like UCLA, with it's history, recruiting base of California and donors could get someone besides Steve Alford and his son playing PG.

If I were UCLA, I'd throw a wall of money at a Brad Stevens type of hire - heck, anything would beat what they have.

They threw money at Alford, so unless he just tanks the season, I suspect he'll be around to prove for sure that he can't get it done next year.

Originally posted by TankedCat:
They threw money at Alford, so unless he just tanks the season, I suspect he'll be around to prove for sure that he can't get it done next year.
That's amazing in itself.

UCLA falls yet again ...

I wasn't expecting UCLA to match last season's win total after losing a
trio of young men to the NBA, but Alford's team looks to lack
fundamentals, leadership or motivation. His team really gives up quite
easily when faced with adversity. If they do not pull it together right now, a 15 loss season may not be out of the question.

Re: UCLA falls yet again ...

Sam Gilbert isn't walking through that door.

Re: UCLA falls yet again ...

71 - 39 utes. they better pray houdini walks through the door.

If I remember correctly he was a ways down the list when the coaching search started and they had to throw money at him to get someone and stop the embarrassment of being turned down.

There is no question that UCLA is not the greatest program in the history of college basketball.

Anyone still trying to say that, is probably a UK hater or doesn't know anything about CBB except "most national titles".

Also there's no more claims that UNC is the REAL greatest program because of prestige with NBA guys(best players) and the only top program to be CLEAN. this is why i Always talk about how important our NBA players under pitino and cal are so important. They have jordan, granted, but after that we now pretty much match them in player personnel.

Kentucky, as alumni or baron would say, is definitely the number one program all time.

Originally posted by Altro Cat:

If I remember correctly he was a ways down the list when the coaching search started and they had to throw money at him to get someone and stop the embarrassment of being turned down.
In all seriousness, can you imagine Cal at UCLA?? I shutter to think the powerhouse he would make them. It would be almost like the powerhouse we are now.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by ZZBlueComet:

You would think a school like UCLA, with it's history, recruiting base of California and donors could get someone besides Steve Alford and his son playing PG.

If I were UCLA, I'd throw a wall of money at a Brad Stevens type of hire - heck, anything would beat what they have.
The problem is young up and coming coaches no longer desire to coach at blue blood programs. They rather coach at a place where they can win without the pressure. Can't say I blame them, but it's bad for the game IMO. There are top 25 teams out there that can't fill half of their arenas because their fans don't really care.

⬆️⬆️

That is not entirely true. Coaches still desire to coach at the top spots but some of the best ones have figured out they can wait on their "top" choce because coaching is now a revolving door. Coaches are competitors though. Look at it like this.

Cal left an extremely comfortable position at Memphis. He turned down schools like Arkansas, because he had his eye on the school he wanted. He came to a pressure cooker at UK when he had Memphis by the balls.

Cal
Self
Williams
Kay at Duke

These are the best coaches in today's game all at blue blood programs.

While there are a few (smart, stevens. Etc.....) who haven't coached the blue bloods yet, if they are good enough they will end up there. Stevens Iwill probably end up at indiana, smart is probably waiting on UNC or kansas or to see what UK does. Marshal would take over kansas tomorrow if he could.

Just because smart turned down UCLA and Stevens turned down the same dont assume this is a common practice. It's not. But nowadays UCLA is a dangerous job to have. It's just a name. Syracuse, louisville, Uconn, etc are all better jobs than UCLA now. I'm just saying don't use the UCLA job as a measuring stick to see if coaches are comfortabke staying at small schools. .

UK
Kansas
UNC
Duke
Even indiana

You will not see many coaches straight up turn down a formal offer from those schools. It's a myth.

Also, college basketball has a good following. This nonsense that no one cares is bullshit that people should stop pumping. Millions of people turn out to watch college basketball every year. It's not followed like the NFL, mlb, NBA etc but it's still hugely followed. In ncaa football, if there were 2 games a week where teams were playing savannah state, football WOULDNT fill every night either. Baseball doesn't fill every night. NBA doesn't come close to filling every night. Do people not care about those? Espn cares enough to carry college basketball every night of the week. People care

This post was edited on 1/4 8:36 PM by .S&C.

Originally posted by .S&C.:
⬆️⬆️

That is not entirely true. Coaches still desire to coach at the top spots but some of the best ones have figured out they can wait on their "top" choce because coaching is now a revolving door. Coaches are competitors though. Look at it like this.

Cal left an extremely comfortable position at Memphis. He turned down schools like Arkansas, because he had his eye on the school he wanted. He came to a pressure cooker at UK when he had Memphis by the balls.

Cal
Self
Williams
Kay at Duke

These are the best coaches in today's game all at blue blood programs.

While there are a few (smart, stevens. Etc.....) who haven't coached the blue bloods yet, if they are good enough they will end up there. Stevens Iwill probably end up at indiana, smart is probably waiting on UNC or kansas or to see what UK does. Marshal would take over kansas tomorrow if he could.

Just because smart turned down UCLA and Stevens turned down the same dont assume this is a common practice. It's not. But nowadays UCLA is a dangerous job to have. It's just a name. Syracuse, louisville, Uconn, etc are all better jobs than UCLA now. I'm just saying don't use the UCLA job as a measuring stick to see if coaches are comfortabke staying at small schools. .

UK
Kansas
UNC
Duke
Even indiana

You will not see many coaches straight up turn down a formal offer from those schools. It's a myth.
I have either forgotten that or didn't know. Was it after Richardson left?

You are correct. I can't recall off the top of my head who they pursued initially. But, it wasn't Alford. He had a pretty good gig at New Mexico St where they were happy with a tourny bid and getting to the second round while making a decent paycheck. So, UCLA had to open up the checkbook just to get him to come.

Truth is that despite all the scenery and "tradition" that UCLA has, their college hoops fans are fickle. The students will jump on the bandwagon if they have a top 10 team and fill some seats at Pauly (as they did with some Harrick and Howland teams). But, besides a some of the old alum from back in the Wooden days, they have had a hard time maintaining consistent fan interest in college bb.

The job is over-rated. Aside from having a dance team that is hotter than the surface of the sun, what is the draw?

Pauley Pavilion - Recently renovated and still can't fill itLA - It's a pro town owned by the Lakers and currently being rented by the ClippersFan support - see #s 1 and 2History - The further we move away from the Wooden Legacy, the more UCLA becomes irrelevant to college basketballRise of Arizona - First with Olsen and now with Miller, Zona is now the toast of the coast. Heck, Gonzaga has more cache than the Bruins do at this point.

cal was offered the Arkansas job on more than one occasion. Brooks Hansen reported this several years ago. Said cal used the job as leverage.

Edit: wanted to add, he was never formally offered the Arkansas job. Memphis people were adamant the were having to up his deal due to NC State and Arkansas offers. This was reported by memphisroar whonhad a great handle on the memphis scene.

This post was edited on 1/4 8:43 PM by .S&C.

Originally posted by tbone.ky:

You are correct. I can't recall off the top of my head who they pursued initially. But, it wasn't Alford. He had a pretty good gig at New Mexico St where they were happy with a tourny bid and getting to the second round while making a decent paycheck. So, UCLA had to open up the checkbook just to get him to come.

Truth is that despite all the scenery and "tradition" that UCLA has, their college hoops fans are fickle. The students will jump on the bandwagon if they have a top 10 team and fill some seats at Pauly (as they did with some Harrick and Howland teams). But, besides a some of the old alum from back in the Wooden days, they have had a hard time maintaining consistent fan interest in college bb.
Alford was never at New Mexico State, a total dead end job.

He coached the New Mexico Lobos, good basketball tradition, good facilities, and good fans.

Alford was never at New Mexico State, a total dead end job.

He coached the New Mexico Lobos, good basketball tradition, good facilities, and good fans.
The Lobos even gave him a 10 year extension and THREE days later, he accepted the job at UCLA.

Bryce Alford was 0-10 in the game with Utah and get this, he is 5-38 in his last three games.

Originally posted by ZZBlueComet:

You would think a school like Kentucky, with it's history, recruiting base of the entire US and donors could get someone besides Billie Gillispie and Hunter McClintock playing PG.

If I were Kentucky, I'd throw a wall of money at a Tom Crean type of hire - heck, anything would beat what they have.
Change a few words and this was us just a few years ago. Shiver me timbers......
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by KMKAT:
Coach Alford screwed up by depending on his son.

Did having him on the team impact his recruiting? Sure sounds like it.

Whether kids leave earlier than expected or not, these coaches are getting huge salaries to be prepared for all situations.

My personal wish is that Alford continues in that role just like I hope Crean and Pitino hang in there.
Alford is pulling a Tubby/Saul...

I couldn't stand Saul Smith!

Originally posted by .S&C.:
There is no question that UCLA is not the greatest program in the history of college basketball.

Anyone still trying to say that, is probably a UK hater or doesn't know anything about CBB except "most national titles".

Also there's no more claims that UNC is the REAL greatest program because of prestige with NBA guys(best players) and the only top program to be CLEAN. this is why i Always talk about how important our NBA players under pitino and cal are so important. They have jordan, granted, but after that we now pretty much match them in player personnel.

Kentucky, as alumni or baron would say, is definitely the number one program all time.
The epitome of a has-been program who no one cares about is UCLA Basketball.

IMO, they are barely a top-5 all time program. I would rank Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke higher. I would also say UNCheat, but it's hard to rank UNCheat these days after their 20 years of blatant cheating, but I guess that makes them about equal with UCLA in that regard.

UCLA= All of their success is because of cheating.

UNCheat= Most of their success is because of cheating (which is the worst in history.)

Imagine that, UCLA fans angry at their coach...question to them is who would they get that's better? They ran off Howland and best they could get was Alford.

Give me a list of top 20 coaches in NCAA, and I will flat out tell you none are going to UCLA.

They lost a ton of talent and have dealt with injuries and eligibility this year, they just need to be patient and give him time. Guy knows how to recruit and coach, he will do fine.

UCLA is an overrated job, the fan support even when they were very good under Howland was awful. Romar should have been the hire but they fell in love with the Alford name.
They should be better than they are right now and the argument they lost three nba players is flawed because they were not that good last year

Not good last year TKish??

They were 28-9, won the Pac-12 tournament (beat Arizona) and lost to UF in NCAA tournament. I'd call that a really good year.

ADVERTISEMENT