ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA and USC joining Big 10

The NCAA enacted a series of rules in the 50s that allowed the NCAA tournament to overtake the NIT. Prior to that, the NIT was the premium tournament.

You never answered my question. Do you know any UK fans that celebrate the 1946 NIT title? Because that was the true national championship in 1946. The 1946 NIT championship is more of a true championship than the 48 and 49 NCAA titles. Yet no UK fans ever talk about that when they discuss National Championships.

This is incorrect. The 1946 NIT was not as big as the NCAA field that year. Some of the teams included Bowling Green and Muhlenberg College. Anything prior to 1945 is a wash due to WW2.

However, the NIT did get some really good teams as, during the 1940s, the NCAA tournament only selected one team from each of the 'regions' of America. Some schools, like UK in '46, probably chose to play in the more pedigreed NIT, however that doesn't make it a championship.

I'm not a fan of expansion. Will these super conferences become so big that we don't even play games against some teams in our own conference?

Some are talking that the SEC will soon be playing second fiddle.

I don't think so. The Texas to SEC move is beyond enormous. UCLA and USC to the Big 10 together is not equivalent to the Texas move. The cali market is huge, but people really don't care about UCLA ad USC in LA.

Some are talking that the SEC will soon be playing second fiddle.

I don't think so. The Texas to SEC move is beyond enormous. UCLA and USC to the Big 10 together is not equivalent to the Texas move. The cali market is huge, but people really don't care about UCLA ad USC in LA.
LA is Lakers then everybody else. Heck the Rams just won the Super Bowl and the people out there only care about what LeBron is having for dinner. UCLA hasn’t been relevant in the eyes of LA fans since Wooden left and USC football hasn’t mattered in over a decade.

But having said that, Cali is the biggest state in the union population wise, by a lot. And LA is considered a sports town, so it is a splash. This is a big get for them.

But I think it is a move that the Big 10 was forced to make after the SEC added Texas and Oklahoma.

The two conferences are playing market expansion chess. It’s the SEC’s move next, I guess.

LA is Lakers then everybody else. Heck the Rams just won the Super Bowl and the people out there only care about what LeBron is having for dinner. UCLA hasn’t been relevant in the eyes of LA fans since Wooden left and USC football hasn’t mattered in over a decade.

But having said that, Cali is the biggest state in the union population wise, by a lot. And LA is considered a sports town, so it is a splash. This is a big get for them.

But I think it is a move that the Big 10 was forced to make after the SEC added Texas and Oklahoma.

The two conferences are playing market expansion chess. It’s the SEC’s move next, I guess.
They can put compelling football games on during a time slot when no one else can. It’s a big deal. The PAC always had the time slot, but if you only have three good teams you don’t get much out of it.

I think the big question is how big these conferences want to be. SEC is going to be at 16 with Oklahoma & Texas and now the Big 10 will have that number as well. Is that enough to stand pat or do they keep pushing that number upward?

Its big for sure. They have 3 huge TV markets. They will get a huge contract but eventually they will need to beat the SEC on the field too.

They can put compelling football games on during a time slot when no one else can. It’s a big deal. The PAC always had the time slot, but if you only have three good teams you don’t get much out of it.
Good point.

Geographically and culturally, I don’t think any of the remaining PAC teams would be a good fit in the SEC. If the SEC must expand, then I’d prefer we wait for the ACC’s current grant of rights agreement to expire. Several of the teams in the ACC could help the SEC increase its footprint and value while also fitting into the conference from a cultural perspective. A Virginia school and a North Carolina school would be perfect additions to the SEC, bringing new TV markets while retaining geographic proximity.

Geographically and culturally, I don’t think any of the remaining PAC teams would be a good fit in the SEC. If the SEC must expand, then I’d prefer we wait for the ACC’s current grant of rights agreement to expire. Several of the teams in the ACC could help the SEC increase its footprint and value while also fitting into the conference from a cultural perspective. A Virginia school and a North Carolina school would be perfect additions to the SEC, bringing new TV markets while retaining geographic proximity.
Geography is pretty much out the window at this point.

It’s all about money. And whatever school brings in the most money will get a seat at the table, regardless of where they are on the map.

Wolfpack and Hokies

Uhhhh no. The Dodgers are the most popular team in LA and have been since they arrived in 1959. They nearly always lead the NL in attendance and have led MLB at times, too. They never draw poorly, as all other LA teams do

lakers are an obv 2nd but no way are they dominant over the Dodgers.

Reactions: sefleming
Uhhhh no. The Dodgers are the most popular team in LA and have been since they arrived in 1959. They nearly always lead the NL in attendance and have led MLB at times, too. They never draw poorly, as all other LA teams do

If you say so. I don’t follow MLB at all. I think baseball is boring.

Hi, it’s your friendly neighborhood Carolina fan. My, your 8 NCAA titles are shiny, sure wish we had that many. Speaking of which, I still get goosebumps about thinking about the ‘96 Kentucky team. Fun times, it’s been good catching up, let’s do it again soon, I’ll bring some barbecue and you can bring the bourbon.

Oh, and in completely unrelated news, next time you happen to be in Birmingham, if you could put in a good word for us, thanks.

Admit that your ill-gotten 05 and 09 titles were the result of the most blatantly egregious academic fraud scandal in NCAA history …for which you shamefully escaped any punishment …and we might consider it.
2005? 2009?

I think UNC was closed those years for intense self-flagellation as we repented for our many sins. We just recently got our accreditation back and are now under new management.

Geography means absolutely nothing in today's world. It meant something when you had to take a bus to travel to games. Now these players and coaches are flying first class in private planes anywhere in the country in 4 or 5 hours or less. It's all about the money. Big 10 has to do this to compete with the SEC. More dominoes will fall and there will soon be 3 or 4 Super Conferences. Only a matter of time.
And stay off my lawn!

Hi, it’s your friendly neighborhood Carolina fan. My, your 8 NCAA titles are shiny, sure wish we had that many. Speaking of which, I still get goosebumps about thinking about the ‘96 Kentucky team. Fun times, it’s been good catching up, let’s do it again soon, I’ll bring some barbecue and you can bring the bourbon.

Oh, and in completely unrelated news, next time you happen to be in Birmingham, if you could put in a good word for us, thanks.
lucille-bluth-arrested-development.gif

This the correct answer.

Reactions: sefleming

Pains me to say it, but UNC and VA Tech would make great additions to the SEC.

If this guy is right, then neither of us were on target. And a lot of other nonsense in this thread is off-base, like the B-Ten taking the cheaters or anyone else in the ACC.

According to this SI analyst, the Big Ten is looking to basically strip the Pac-12 and create the "Big Ten Western Conference" in a 20 program league. IF this is true, then basically the Pac-12 just goes away, the Big Ten and the SEC - after picking up a couple more programs - become the clear cut winners, and everyone else, like the ACC and the dregs of the B-12, are reduced to second-tier status.

Looks like Big12 will absorb remaining Pac12 after all.

This is big for the Big12, if they could somehow snag a few from the ACC when some inevitably bolt for the SEC/Big10, they could actually solidify themselves as the 3rd super conference. Never would have thought it, but it's happening.

Good for the Big 12.

LA is raider nation. Nobody likes the rams there lmao.

ADVERTISEMENT