ADVERTISEMENT

U6 releases details of settlement with Jurich

$4.5 million, $1.76 million, and $911k, health insurance until 65, and to add insult to injury, he gets 8 seats too. It pays to know where the bodies are buried.

Reactions: Nubb16 and Fox2monk
Jurich was smart to settle and made out pretty well at $4.5 million. The most he was going to get was $5.2 million while the floor was $2 million. I don't think Rick and UL will settle because Pitino won't admit to being at fault for any of the 3 national scandals around he and his program. UL was fully justified to fire Rick for cause. Rick is suing for +$35 million but may well end up with nothing.

"Under an agreement signed by former university President James Ramsey in 2011, if the university fired Jurich without cause, he would have been entitled to at least four years of his base salary, which totaled $1.3 million, as well as $450,000 in deferred compensation. If he was fired for cause, he was still entitled to one year’s pay, about $2 million to $3 million, under the agreement...."

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...tic-director-tom-jurich-settlement/621162002/

Last edited:
Jurich was out of control but I don't think he did anything criminal or had anything to do with bringing the program down - other than his decisions in who to hire and retain. I guess he skirted the line with nepotism, but considering the President of UL was embezzling and spending money thru secondary accounts, Jurich wasn't the worst offender there by far - and he did screw the city of Louisville over to the best interest of UL. There certainly wasn't anyone there that was holding him in check, and even when fired, basically he was fired for being a bully. His salary was off the charts in comparison, but so was UL's athletic revenue. He could make an argument he earned it (although how he earned it - strong arm tactics without a conscience certainly didn't win him many friends outside the UL administration)

Look, I'm not saying he is a good guy - he's a first rate ass, a tyrant and cut from the mold of Bobby Knight. But he did put together a deal by hook or by crook that had UL athletics flush with money while raising the bar for athletic accomplishments under his watch. I think perhaps his biggest mistake was seeing athletics in competition with other departments at the school instead of using them to raise the quality of the school inclusively. Of course, not holding Pitino accountable was his downfall.

Funny that at the end of the day, Petrino goes to a school where the scandal by other coaches and his AD overshadows everything bad about him. No one even mentions him anymore.

Reactions: Poetax and Fox2monk
Jurich was out of control but I don't think he did anything criminal or had anything to do with bringing the program down - other than his decisions in who to hire and retain. I guess he skirted the line with nepotism, but considering the President of UL was embezzling and spending money thru secondary accounts, Jurich wasn't the worst offender there by far - and he did screw the city of Louisville over to the best interest of UL. There certainly wasn't anyone there that was holding him in check, and even when fired, basically he was fired for being a bully. His salary was off the charts in comparison, but so was UL's athletic revenue. He could make an argument he earned it (although how he earned it - strong arm tactics without a conscience certainly didn't win him many friends outside the UL administration)

Look, I'm not saying he is a good guy - he's a first rate ass, a tyrant and cut from the mold of Bobby Knight. But he did put together a deal by hook or by crook that had UL athletics flush with money while raising the bar for athletic accomplishments under his watch. I think perhaps his biggest mistake was seeing athletics in competition with other departments at the school instead of using them to raise the quality of the school inclusively. Of course, not holding Pitino accountable was his downfall.

Funny that at the end of the day, Petrino goes to a school where the scandal by other coaches and his AD overshadows everything bad about him. No one even mentions him anymore.

Jurich didn’t have the department “flush with money.” Rather, he was a master of accounting tricks to make it appear that was the case.

that may be true, I don't know

their reported revenues were like $10m more than everyone else, in large part to the sweetheart deal they got with the YUM center

Are you serious? Did you read any of the audit report? Or Postel's letter to him when he was fired?

He had his son on the Foundation payroll while calling him an employee of the athletics department, claimed the Athletics program was turning a profit when it was being subsidized under the table by the Foundation, used Foundation money to buy a damn golf course, signed several bad real estate deals without authorization by the Athletics board, and got his daughter a job with Adidas right after getting them to sign a huge endorsement deal. He also approved the previous Adidas deal that gave Pitino 95% of the money that was supposed to go the the general athletics fund. And then there are the sexual harrassment charges made by his former HR director in a recent lawsuit.

There's more but those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

The U6 Athletics department was essentially a criminal enterprise that Tom Jurich ran with an iron fist. He should be going to jail and instead U6 is giving him millions to go away.

their reported revenues were like $10m more than everyone else, in large part to the sweetheart deal they got with the YUM center

Actually it ran a consistent deficit. Was papered over using money from the Foundation. Which is why the Foundation is now broke and so is the university.

Reactions: musrat59
Are you serious? Did you read any of the audit report? Or Postel's letter to him when he was fired?

He had his son on the Foundation payroll while calling him an employee of the athletics department, claimed the Athletics program was turning a profit when it was being subsidized under the table by the Foundation, used Foundation money to buy a damn golf course, signed several bad real estate deals without authorization by the Athletics board, and got his daughter a job with Adidas right after getting them to sign a huge endorsement deal. He also approved the previous Adidas deal that gave Pitino 95% of the money that was supposed to go the the general athletics fund. And then there are the sexual harrassment charges made by his former HR director in a recent lawsuit.

The U6 Athletics department was essentially a criminal enterprise that Tom Jurich ran with an iron fist. He should be going to jail and instead U6 is giving him millions to go away.

the property purchases and so forth, I thought that was the former UL prez/foundation

Last edited:

I'm going have to disagree. I think Jurich is one of the main reasons the program went down. He strong armed the local media into never reporting anything wrong at ul. He created a sense that he and the athletic dept were untouchable. Anyone who dared question him or ul was blackballed. Now that Jurich is gone, the money numbers look a bit different. The guy misused funds like crazy, and basically had control over the city. I'm sorry, but he did a lot of harm to not just ul, but the city of Louisville. Screw him.

This makes me ill. People have gone to prison for less than what he's done and he gets to walk and take a fortune from a state school. If the teacher's union wants to "protest" underfunding, maybe they should start with this.

he definitely harmed the city of Louisville, and utlimately UL.

Well he did give them a gold plated sports campus. I didn't get this until I drove around there in December. It's really astonishing. Yet the university next door to it is still a craphole.

Reactions: WeWant9

Revenues weren’t $10m higher. For 2016, UL’s athletics department revenues were $112M. For reference, UK’s were $132M. And that $112M for UL includes a $7.4M subsidy from the school.

If you look at the components of revenue that really reflect how well a department is doing, the gap becomes more obvious.
  • UL
    • Ticket sales: $29.0M
    • Contributions: $30.4M
    • Licensing: $38.1M
  • UK
    • Ticket sales: $37.2M
    • Contributions: $25.0M
    • Licensing: $65.4M
I’d also add that any funds transferred back to the school from the athletics department are considered a revenue loss. So UK’s revenue numbers are artificially lower due to the donations back to the school. Most departments, like UL, do not do this.

And this is just the revenue side. This doesn’t get into all the shady expense side stuff Jurich was doing to make expenses seem lower and UL look profitable.

Reactions: kat57 and YouKay

Other than that...how was the play Mrs. Lincoln.

Petrino has the high ground in the Ville. He has to be feeling great! Hes cashing checks saying thanks suckers.

Either UL wants to hide some horrible stuff or their legal counsel is weak, they’re suckers either way.

I don’t disagree with the intent of your statement. However do you think U6 had any legal recourse? It’s not unlike our situation with BCG.

The question in my mind is whether U6 has the standing to litigate over mismanagement and criminal matters. If they do and fail to pursue them, then they made their own bed.

For a settlement I think both parties did ok. UofL is looking at what was owed to Jurich in his original contract and saved shitloads off $$$. Jurich got paid what’s basically was a years salary and kept parts of his annuities and health insurance as if he had retired. Think what he really needed/wanted was that letter stricken so he can prance around town again and look for other jobs as well.
Hopefully the stank that had been coming from his tenure at our states 2nd flagship university is gone now.

The propensity to retain troubled coaches that ultimately devastated the school would be an angle. He kept Rick after Sypher and didn’t want to fire him for the hooker scandal, Jurich had no accountability for his coaches and that mismanagement led to a third ongoing FBI scandal. He also kept Clint Hurt despite a show cause issued by the NCAA and rehired a troubled coach that while hadn’t resulted in any penalties it certainly shows a pattern of judgement that’s high risk.

Jurich keeping these coaches led to a egomaniac like Pitino to become even more brazen because the environment was ripe for it. Never mind the foundation theft or other issues, a school determined could have taken a stand. Somebody made the call to take the path of least resistance to get it over with but it gives Jurich a level of exoneration that he doesn’t deserve.

Reactions: JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT