ADVERTISEMENT

Typical UL

STUCKNBIG10

All-SEC
Aug 30, 2006
In true UL fashion, their pitcher (who was very good, btw) was caught on national TV dropping at least 3 F-bombs in the direction of Vandy bullpen after striking out their batter in the 8th.

Love to see him eat it as Candy comes back to win in the 9th.

Also, Dan McDonnell fell asleep at the wheel keeping that kid in the game when you have a reliever throwing 100 MPH to force a game 3.

I’m torn on this. I love seeing emotion and fire from players. I don’t think the f-bombs were needed but hey, it’s something that I struggle with. I don’t mind the back and forth. But, if you talk it, you better be damn sure you can back it up. I think McDonnell should have brought in a new pitcher in the 9th but if your pitcher throws that type of shade you almost have to let him pitch the 9th.

I’m torn on this. I love seeing emotion and fire from players. I don’t think the f-bombs were needed but hey, it’s something that I struggle with. I don’t mind the back and forth. But, if you talk it, you better be damn sure you can back it up. I think McDonnell should have brought in a new pitcher in the 9th but if your pitcher throws that type of shade you almost have to let him pitch the 9th.
It all turned out for the best :baseball::baseball::scream::smiley::scream::clap::clap::clap::joy::joy::joy::victory::victory::boxing:[banana][cheers]:cool2::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Maybe some day the Cats will make their conference tournament

LOL, took you all day to come up with that one. Admittedly, Baseball is the one sport (outside of women's basketball) where UK has not passed UL. It will happen in time, enjoy it while it lasts.

What the hell ever happened to SPORTSMANSHIP!!?? That was NOTHING but an asshole job by that goofy looking clown.

LOL, took you all day to come up with that one. Admittedly, Baseball is the one sport (outside of women's basketball) where UK has not passed UL. It will happen in time, enjoy it while it lasts.
Not at all concerned with your baseless threats on catching up, and that’s based on your own fans’ assessment of your returning roster, recruiting, and feelings about your coach’s abilities.

Not at all concerned with your baseless threats on catching up, and that’s based on your own fans’ assessment of your returning roster, recruiting, and feelings about your coach’s abilities.

It's not baseless when you consider that UK has passed UL in every notable sport except for baseball and women's basketball. Football, basketball, Softball, Tennis, Soccer, the list goes on and on. UK has proven that it has the better athletic department with more resources, more money, better facilities, better fanbase, better conference, and so forth. Personally, I don't think Ming is the answer so you'll probably enjoy the baseball edge for a while. Enjoy it while it lasts.

And if you weren't at all concerned about UK, then you wouldn't be here.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
It's not baseless when you consider that UK has passed UL in every notable sport except for baseball and women's basketball. Football, basketball, Softball, Tennis, Soccer, the list goes on and on. UK has proven that it has the better athletic department with more resources, more money, better facilities, better fanbase, better conference, and so forth. Personally, I don't think Ming is the answer so you'll probably enjoy the baseball edge for a while. Enjoy it while it lasts.

And if you weren't at all concerned about UK, then you wouldn't be here.
We'll have to agree to disagree on most of what you said. Basketball I'll give you. Our new softball coach seems to have things moving in the right direction. Disagree on tennis and soccer, we've had more soccer success by far. Disagree on facilities and conference and I sure wouldn't trade for your fanbase. I am not at all concerned about UK "catching up" in baseball, was curious as to what your few baseball fans were saying about our 5th trip to Omaha. And I am enjoying our baseball "edge" (5 trips to Omaha including 4 in the last 7 years while UK has never been to Omaha and got swept by the Cards easily in their one good year). Actually, I'd call that a little more than an "edge."

We'll have to agree to disagree on most of what you said. Basketball I'll give you. Our new softball coach seems to have things moving in the right direction. Disagree on tennis and soccer, we've had more soccer success by far. Disagree on facilities and conference and I sure wouldn't trade for your fanbase. I am not at all concerned about UK "catching up" in baseball, was curious as to what your few baseball fans were saying about our 5th trip to Omaha. And I am enjoying our baseball "edge" (5 trips to Omaha including 4 in the last 7 years while UK has never been to Omaha and got swept by the Cards easily in their one good year). Actually, I'd call that a little more than an "edge."

You say that you disagree with most of what i said, but then you proceed to agree with most of what i said.

The last (and largest) part of your post is about baseball. To be clear, UL has a dominant edge over UK in baseball. Indisputable. Granted, it's not a long-time historical edge but it's now a 10-year edge since Mcdonnell has been there (and UL had virtually no baseball success prior to him). It's debatable whether UK can catch UL in baseball, but we have in every other sport, so I'm not sure why we couldn't.

We have a better conference, so not sure that's really debatable. Your new softball coach may "have things moving in the right direction" but it's indisputable that UK has a better program. UK indisputably has better tennis. You've had more soccer success but not sure it's a better program at the moment.

Obviously, UK has passed UL in the two most visible sports (football and basketball). That's not really disputable at this point.

The one thing I think you're right that we can simply disagree on is the fanbases. Ours is indisputably larger and more loyal, but each side has plenty of reason to revile the other and you and I can continue to like what we like.

You say that you disagree with most of what i said, but then you proceed to agree with most of what i said.

The last (and largest) part of your post is about baseball. To be clear, UL has a dominant edge over UK in baseball. Indisputable. Granted, it's not a long-time historical edge but it's now a 10-year edge since Mcdonnell has been there (and UL had virtually no baseball success prior to him). It's debatable whether UK can catch UL in baseball, but we have in every other sport, so I'm not sure why we couldn't.

We have a better conference, so not sure that's really debatable. Your new softball coach may "have things moving in the right direction" but it's indisputable that UK has a better program. UK indisputably has better tennis. You've had more soccer success but not sure it's a better program at the moment.

Obviously, UK has passed UL in the two most visible sports (football and basketball). That's not really disputable at this point.

The one thing I think you're right that we can simply disagree on is the fanbases. Ours is indisputably larger and more loyal, but each side has plenty of reason to revile the other and you and I can continue to like what we like.
I didn't agree with anything but basketball and I like our new coach. I wouldn't trade fan bases. You have an awfully short memory in football. We've historically been better and have won several BCS games, while you haven't won any. We're in a rebuild but we've always gotten there when we've rebuilt before.
I disagree completely on conference and hear many UK fans wish they were in the ACC. A little more doable in football and a better fit for UK in basketball.
And there is absolutely no evidence that UK will "catch" U of L in baseball. 5 CWS appearances to zero, loaded again next year, and it appears most of your devoted baseball fans do not feel Mingione can succeed, are completely pessimistic about next year, and are hoping for a coaching change. I don't know how old you are, but I will be long gone before UK makes the CWS, let alone 5 times and counting.

I didn't agree with anything but basketball and I like our new coach. I wouldn't trade fan bases. You have an awfully short memory in football. We've historically been better and have won several BCS games, while you haven't won any. We're in a rebuild but we've always gotten there when we've rebuilt before.
I disagree completely on conference and hear many UK fans wish they were in the ACC. A little more doable in football and a better fit for UK in basketball.
And there is absolutely no evidence that UK will "catch" U of L in baseball. 5 CWS appearances to zero, loaded again next year, and it appears most of your devoted baseball fans do not feel Mingione can succeed, are completely pessimistic about next year, and are hoping for a coaching change. I don't know how old you are, but I will be long gone before UK makes the CWS, let alone 5 times and counting.

Logic is not your strong suit. You use different standards to benefit your UL argument where UL is weaker vs. standards you use to measure UK. For example, you use your new softball coach and (presumably) an NCAA berth in softball to prove that UL is not behind UK in softball while ignoring the fact that UK regularly hosts regionals, has hosted super regionals, and has made the WCWS. On the other hand, you point to historical results in football to show that last year was just one blip year. You can't have it both ways.

Again, your logic that UK will never make a CWS and will never catch up to UL is flawed. Is there anything that guarantees it will happen? No. Could it? Of course. Any school with resources like UK can get there. Who would have thought UL could get there 15 years ago? No one. Now, they've been 5 times. Who would have thought Vandy would be a power? They used to be worse in baseball than they are in football (!). You make absolute statements that your own school's history wouldn't support.

As for conference, your proving my point. Some UK fans wish they were in the ACC b/c it's easier. Football is king, and UK's road in football is always going to be harder than UL. Moreover, the SEC is richer and more powerful than the ACC. The amount of money brought in by the SEC and Big 10 is far higher than what is brought in by the ACC and the other power 5 conferences.

Again, you're welcome to your viewpoint about which fanbase is better b/c that is subjective. but, your logic on the rest of the topic is amateur hour. At least try to be consistent in your logic.

Logic is not your strong suit. You use different standards to benefit your UL argument where UL is weaker vs. standards you use to measure UK. For example, you use your new softball coach and (presumably) an NCAA berth in softball to prove that UL is not behind UK in softball while ignoring the fact that UK regularly hosts regionals, has hosted super regionals, and has made the WCWS. On the other hand, you point to historical results in football to show that last year was just one blip year. You can't have it both ways.

Again, your logic that UK will never make a CWS and will never catch up to UL is flawed. Is there anything that guarantees it will happen? No. Could it? Of course. Any school with resources like UK can get there. Who would have thought UL could get there 15 years ago? No one. Now, they've been 5 times. Who would have thought Vandy would be a power? They used to be worse in baseball than they are in football (!). You make absolute statements that your own school's history wouldn't support.

As for conference, your proving my point. Some UK fans wish they were in the ACC b/c it's easier. Football is king, and UK's road in football is always going to be harder than UL. Moreover, the SEC is richer and more powerful than the ACC. The amount of money brought in by the SEC and Big 10 is far higher than what is brought in by the ACC and the other power 5 conferences.

Again, you're welcome to your viewpoint about which fanbase is better b/c that is subjective. but, your logic on the rest of the topic is amateur hour. At least try to be consistent in your logic.
You just want to vent. I made no argument that softball is better, UK clearly is, I just like the new coach and hope she will be successful And you're doing EXACTLY what you accuse me of when it comes to football. One good year and you've passed us up. Historically we've had far more success in football. And I'd rather be in the ACC than the SEC, but I understand that SEC affiliation has always been a main point of pride for UK fans. I made no statements that my own school's history wouldn't support. UK has never gotten there in baseball, despite their vaunted SEC membership, resources, etc, and if you're honest with yourself you would agree it's not happening any time soon. I love college baseball so I come here to see what our rival is saying about the sport, and from your most devoted and respected baseball posters, it's nothing but doom and gloom for the foreseeable future.

Neat.

I don’t look at it as all doom and gloom. Let’s be real. After UK made it to the super regional in 2017 fans were high. Minge brought excitement and a sense of hope that maybe Kentucky can finally be a national player. Now, two years later it looks like the team is going the opposite direction. Now, if the stars align and 2020 shows improvement, than I’ll gladly eat my crow. But being a season ticket holder since 2008 and going through the lean Hendo years, I’ll be cautiously optimistic.

As for the point about never getting there. Most fans, if not all, had no idea what Keith Madison was able to do on a middle school budget. Baseball was a pure afterthought for everyone in the UK athletic department. If UK fans were honest, the only sport that mattered up until about 15 years ago was basketball. But, MB has done a lot to rectify that. Even if just maybe he is a little too loyal to certain coaches. Can UK get to Omaha? Absolutely. Will they? I’ll bet my house on it. In may not be in 2020, but I feel like it will come sooner than later.

Reactions: CliffDweller25
You just want to vent. I made no argument that softball is better, UK clearly is, I just like the new coach and hope she will be successful And you're doing EXACTLY what you accuse me of when it comes to football. One good year and you've passed us up. Historically we've had far more success in football. And I'd rather be in the ACC than the SEC, but I understand that SEC affiliation has always been a main point of pride for UK fans. I made no statements that my own school's history wouldn't support. UK has never gotten there in baseball, despite their vaunted SEC membership, resources, etc, and if you're honest with yourself you would agree it's not happening any time soon. I love college baseball so I come here to see what our rival is saying about the sport, and from your most devoted and respected baseball posters, it's nothing but doom and gloom for the foreseeable future.

This is a UK board, you're the guest here. You made plenty of statements that your own school's history wouldn't support. To be clear, I'll list them:

-You state that only UL basketball is behind UK basketball. That's it.
-You then cite UL softball as an example that is not behind. UL softball is clearly behind UK softball. No contest.
-UL football program has been better than UK for the last 10-15 years. No question. My statement, however, is that UK football has passed UL football. I stand by this. You would have had a point if i said that UK football has had a better program than UL for the last 10 or 15 years (I didn't). You fired one of your most successful football coaches in school history, you have a series of scandals, and you won 2 games. You are facing a multi-year rebuilding project. Your recruiting class was ranked in the 80s. UL football has fallen on HARD times, so not sure why my statement was controversial to you.
-Lastly, you made absolute statements like UK would NEVER reach the CWS and would NEVER pass UL. Those are absurd statements, given that UK had a superior baseball program to UL prior to 2007 and given how quickly a program like UL has become a baseball power. Why would UK not be able to do the same thing? Again...(reading comprehension and logic are key here)...I'm not saying that UK has a comparable program to UL AT THIS POINT. I've already stipulated that UL baseball program is clearly better than UK at this juncture. I'm just calling BS on your statements that the status quo will remain in tact forever.

Also, you have toned down your bluster in this post. You changed your thought to say that UK would NEVER pass UL in baseball and would NEVER get to the CWS. Now, you're saying "any time soon". Totally different thoughts.

For the record, I would have agreed with "any time soon", but you were careless with your words.

Also, you have toned down your bluster in this post. You changed your thought to say that UK would NEVER pass UL in baseball and would NEVER get to the CWS. Now, you're saying "any time soon". Totally different thoughts.

For the record, I would have agreed with "any time soon", but you were careless with your words.
Stuck > ul card like 10-1. Give it up card-

Stuck > ul card like 10-1. Give it up card-
If he'd actually read my posts he would note that I never said "never." I'm just not concerned about it and stand by my statement it won't be any time soon. I don't see a single UK fan who thinks Mingione has what it takes and many fear Mitch will allow him to limp along for the time being. It will be a loooong time, if ever, before UK gets to 5 College World Series. The Cards are consensus preseason top 5 next year. I wasn't careless with my words. I said exactly what I meant to say and I stand by it.

ADVERTISEMENT