ADVERTISEMENT

Typical Reactions When We Land a Three Star, Versus When We Lose a Three Star Commit . . . .

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
When we land a three star commit, we frequently see him dissed for the lack of a 4th star.

And when we lose a three star commit, the sky is falling.

The recruiting process is long and complex. I will wait 'till it's done to lose my mind over the quality, or lack of quality of the class.

When we land a three star commit, we frequently see him dissed for the lack of a 4th star.

The recruiting process is long and complex. I will wait 'till it's done to lose my mind over the quality, or lack of quality of the class.

I would say there is a solid 3 posters that bring up the 3 stars as a negative. Not really a widespread problem but still makes you scratch your head. It's crazy our fanbase on the bball side has a team loaded with the top 5 stars and NBA talent every season, yet have little in the last 5-6 years to show for it. If stars mean't everything, we should have won 5-7 championships by now under Cal. So if anybody should understand coaching means more than stars, it should be our fanbase.

I am not going to diss Cal. The guy has done as well or better than most every coach in America over the time he has been at UK.

I think Hack’s point is valid.

We also see people expressing fear when we land a new recruit that we may not be able to hold onto him. But when a recruit on our radar commits to Purdue, he is evidently rock solid!!!

I am not going to diss Cal. The guy has done as well or better than most every coach in America over the time he has been at UK.

I think Hack’s point is valid.

We also see people expressing fear when we land a new recruit that we may not be able to hold onto him. But when a recruit on our radar commits to Purdue, he is evidently rock solid!!!

I was not dissing Cal at all, I was pointing out facts. And supporting what OP said.

...yet have little in the last 5-6 years to show for it. If stars mean't everything, we should have won 5-7 championships by now under Cal. So if anybody should understand coaching means more than stars, it should be our fanbase.

Well, you may not have intended it, but it is pretty easy to read the above as dissing Cal. Nothing to show for 5-6 years? I guess fans who think NCs are the only good seasons may find a wild way to support your contention. It won’t be convincing, but they can try.

Reactions: JC CATS
Well, you may not have intended it, but it is pretty easy to read the above as dissing Cal. Nothing to show for 5-6 years? I guess fans who think NCs are the only good seasons may find a wild way to support your contention. It won’t be convincing, but they can try.

You get offended very easily. Point: stars don't always equal championships. Why do you always think you know more about what someone says than they do and you always think you are the judge of how valid a point is? At first it was annoying, now it's just old my friend.

You get offended very easily. Point: stars don't always equal championships. Why do you always think you know more about what someone says than they do and you always think you are the judge of how valid a point is? At first it was annoying, now it's just old my friend.
I agree with Caveman. Nothing to show for it is a pretty negative phrase. Can't really compare basketball recruiting with Football considering the one and done rule.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I agree with Caveman. Nothing to show for it is a pretty negative phrase. Can't really compare basketball recruiting with Football considering the one and done rule.

How about Texas Football in the past 5 years, 4-5 stars and not much to show for it. The point once again: stars don't equal championships.

I am trying to agree with OP and I apologize if my example wasn't suffice and offends people. There's no point in arguing with someone who essentially agrees with you.

Reactions: HCaulfield

Why it is much more important to notice offer sheets than how many stars a kid has by his name...Most our dynamic players that have come through here have been three star kids with HEART and desire to be great.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
There are more three star kids than four and five star combined. The stars....measurements of the physical part of the game....certainly are marvelous tools. Nothing more. Measuring fire and desire and the flat out love of the game is what the keys are. Wesley Woodyard, Randall Cobb, Stephen Johnson, Jon Toth, and others.
Get a team loaded with players like that at all slots and the Cats will do fine.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
All I know is 3 star Jalen Geiger is probably my favorite DB recruit on film in the Stoops era. Kid can HIT and doesn't miss a tackle.

Reactions: Soupbean

Relax. I have yet to be offended.

How about Texas Football in the past 5 years, 4-5 stars and not much to show for it. The point once again: stars don't equal championships.

I am trying to agree with OP and I apologize if my example wasn't suffice and offends people. There's no point in arguing with someone who essentially agrees with you.
Yea I'd say Texas has been huge dissapointment.

All I know is 3 star Jalen Geiger is probably my favorite DB recruit on film in the Stoops era. Kid can HIT and doesn't miss a tackle.

If you find me a highlight reel of any kid in history that shows me a missed tackle I’ll give you $100. No offense, but watching highlights and saying a kid “doesn’t miss a tackle” is like watching a birthday party and saying kids always have fun.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Caveman starting another argument just to start an argument? No wayyyyyyy

You may see it that way but to me text posting is very hard sometimes to get a grasp on what people are really trying to get across. I took that post the same way Caveman did but after reading TTU’s next post I understood better. I get accused of the same thing because my posts seem to confuse some on here but it happens.

You may see it that way but to me text posting is very hard sometimes to get a grasp on what people are really trying to get across. I took that post the same way Caveman did but after reading TTU’s next post I understood better. I get accused of the same thing because my posts seem to confuse some on here but it happens.

I believe Football said that because Caveman has argued with just about every post he has made the past couple of days. And has argued with half of mine as well. Which is all fine and dandy, but he continued to do so and basically told me I didn't mean what I said I meant. I don't know about you but I don't like being told what I mean when I post something and being called a liar when I explain . To each their own.

1. To argue Cal should have 5-7 championships with all the talent he's brought to UK is simply "nutty" mindset. Outside of cheater John Wooten...no coach has sniffed that kind of winning ever.
2. Back to UK football...it's fair argument that we downplay our 3 star commits but go a bit over the board when we lose them.

But please stop with lamenting over solid 3 stars are the way to build an entire roster and win at UK (i.e Snell, Cobb, Tamme, etc...). Snell is our best player and Josh Allen may be our best defensive player but guys like CJ Conrad, Mike Edwards, Dorian Baker, Denzil Ware before dismissal, Josh Paschal, etc..are our top tier players and mostly 4 star kids. It's a reality that 4 star kids with good offer sheets usually are better than 3 kids with lower offer sheets.

I believe Football said that because Caveman has argued with just about every post he has made the past couple of days. And has argued with half of mine as well. Which is all fine and dandy, but he continued to do so and basically told me I didn't mean what I said I meant. I don't know about you but I don't like being told what I mean when I post something and being called a liar when I explain . To each their own.

Sorry only read the last couple of posts so I don’t know about you being called a liar, didn’t see it.

Wasn't directly called a liar, but told I wouldn't be convincing if I tried to explain myself. Which I took as being told I was lieing.

If a recruit has been through the camps and get rated a 5.6 or below. I'm not gonna dive through my TV with excitement. Those usually are diamonds in the ruff. Benny Smell being one of them but Benny is BY far the exception.

If we land a 5.7 or higher, I'm very happy because these guys are program makers as the rule, most time there is no exception.
If we land ANY 4 Stars I just hope we hang on to them.
This new guy we got, a low Three star ranked almost 1000. There might be something to him because when does a tOSU, Or, ALABAMA go after such kids that low this early? They most certainly don't unless it got around this kid is about to blow up. So I'd keep my eye on him I have a feeling he will be a top 300 player eventually.

I said you may have intended it one way, but demonstrated it could very objectively easily been interpreted another. I am sure you meant what you intended to say. You just did not say it well. If I think you lied, I will call you a “liar.” There won’t be any confusion.

Wasn't directly called a liar, but told I wouldn't be convincing if I tried to explain myself. Which I took as being told I was lieing.

I will just post them side by side.

You accused me of being offended when you just should have admitted you were offended. We may have resolved this by now if you had said so. Saying a position, such as NCs are the only way to good seasons, cannot rationally be supported was not intended to offend.

Cal has had great success in the years he has not won NCs. UK arguably has the best 9 year record under him. There are only a couple of schools that can make a case for better. Cal has one NC.

I will just post them side by side.

You accused me of being offended when you just should have admitted you were offended. We may have resolved this by now if you had said so. Saying a position, such as NCs are the only way to good seasons, cannot rationally be supported was not intended to offend.

Cal has had great success in the years he has not won NCs. UK arguably has the best 9 year record under him. There are only a couple of schools that can make a case for better. Cal has one NC.

Yep there it is. Some people are addicted to drugs. You are addicted to arguing.

Last edited:
Reactions: __Football__
Rule #1 - You can't please everyone. Someone will always complain.

Rule #2 - Think about who voices opinions......whether it is an opinion of a restaurant, movie, or a UK message board. The extremists are the loudest and stand out the most........positive or negative.

Rule #3 - The extremists are NOT a representation of the fan base in general.

Finally, in response to your OP.

-If the product on the field were better, people wouldn't be quite as critical. Sure, we've gotten to the 7 win mark the last few yrs, but it's been ugly. A good portion of the fan base feels we're living on a knife's edge......where a wrong or right move in recruiting can push us one way or another.

If you find me a highlight reel of any kid in history that shows me a missed tackle I’ll give you $100. No offense, but watching highlights and saying a kid “doesn’t miss a tackle” is like watching a birthday party and saying kids always have fun.

You can see how a player tackles on film. He wraps up his man and puts them into the ground. Of coarse he has missed tackles, took my post a bit literal my friend lol.

I would say there is a solid 3 posters that bring up the 3 stars as a negative. Not really a widespread problem but still makes you scratch your head. It's crazy our fanbase on the bball side has a team loaded with the top 5 stars and NBA talent every season, yet have little in the last 5-6 years to show for it. If stars mean't everything, we should have won 5-7 championships by now under Cal. So if anybody should understand coaching means more than stars, it should be our fanbase.
Very little to show for it? Going to FF's is what? What if the football team made the playoffs which is essentially FF? Would that be very little to show for it?

Very little to show for it? Going to FF's is what? What if the football team made the playoffs which is essentially FF? Would that be very little to show for it?
He already recanted that statement. Bad choice of words but not what he meant.

Reactions: JC CATS
A good portion of the fan base feels we're living on a knife's edge......where a wrong or right move in recruiting can push us one way or another.

For those who are truly fans of UK and not just out to find a new way or reason to bash Stoops, I feel your comment makes sense. While we have lost some games fans think we should have won, we have won some by close margins, such as final drive kicks. While last season could have been a 9 win season, it likewise could have been a 5 win season. The year before was even more toss up. It does seem like a minor change could set things back dramatically. While SJ was not highly touted or desired by P5 schools, I think a lot of pundits think, ironically, that losing him could be that negative factor. Its admittedly an unknown.

There might be something to him because when does a tOSU, Or, ALABAMA go after such kids that low this early? They most certainly don't unless it got around this kid is about to blow up. So I'd keep my eye on him I have a feeling he will be a top 300 player eventually.

All good points, which drove me to the thread discussing him. Here is the brief research I did which was prompted by your post, and which I originally posted on the other thread:

If Rivals has accurate info on offers made, [and I think they take it pretty seriously], this young man rates as one of the top 2 or 3 most heralded recruits in the Stoops era, with offers from 9 SEC schools, including Alabama and home state Georgia. He also has reported offers from Michigan and Ohio State, among his 22 offers.

Were we to land 15 such players in a single class, we would end up in the top 5 ranked classes on the site "Rank By Offers," as the quality offers he has received score highly.

This suggests to me that along with evident athletic prowess, he stood out to college recruiters as one likely to succeed over a multi-year career on a college campus.

Welcome Mr. Wilkins!

Reactions: Jbapp1978
Quit being so argumentative! ;)

Sometimes threads devolve into arguments like the classic Python's skit, where a gentleman walks into a business office, and says, "I'm here for debate." The receptionist directs him to the first office on the right. When he enters, a man at a desk starts calling him names, to which he objects: "This isn't debate, . . . . it's abuse." The abuser apologizes and directs him to the next office on the right, for debate. There, the occupant merely contradicts everything the "debater" says, drawing the complaint, "This isn't debate, it's mere contradiction." And then the contrarian one says, "oh, sorry, debate is in the third office to the right."

Reactions: JDHoss

Good post. I think our staff doesn’t get near as much credit as they deserve for how well they scout players. When we lose out on a recruit it seems like they do a very good job finding replacements as well. In the past and present we have had so many lower star or rated players end up being fantastic for our program. The posters that judge them on that star rating alone need to do a little research on that subject.

All good points, which drove me to the thread discussing him. Here is the brief research I did which was prompted by your post, and which I originally posted on the other thread:
There is a mystery to this young man. Obviously college football knows something about him that the recruiting services don't.

In your Honest opinion what do you think causes such an Anomaly? Were the recruiting services see him as we will say about Average, but he is highly sought after by the best of the best with offers!
What do they know?
I heard he plays for the best team in the state. he is a bit undersized ATM for LB.
But that's fixable. I dunno. I do feel had he committed to a UGA, ALABAMA his rank would be higher though.

ADVERTISEMENT