ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Herro

BigKari

Senior
Apr 15, 2014
First of all I’m loving this Heat-Sixers series. High level, very competitive basketball. Love watching Herro, Bam, and Maxey balling out. Started this thread because Herro just got absolutely destroyed by Embiid after being fouled by Maxey on a layup attempt. Should’ve been a flagrant 1 on Embiid. Herro was down for a good ten seconds, but popped up and hit both free throws. Such a hard-nosed player and one of the most fun to watch.

First of all I’m loving this Heat-Sixers series. High level, very competitive basketball. Love watching Herro, Bam, and Maxey balling out. Started this thread because Herro just got absolutely destroyed by Embiid after being fouled by Maxey on a layup attempt. Should’ve been a flagrant 1 on Embiid. Herro was down for a good ten seconds, but popped up and hit both free throws. Such a hard-nosed player and one of the most fun to watch.
I think what makes Herro so special is the way he moves on the court, with and without the ball. He’s always been a real “springy” player, using his athleticism in every way if you watch his offensive game.

He was like that here too even though a lot of the haters seem to think that year was stall ball, ground and pound offense. As he gets into his prime he’s really becoming a star and is definitely one of my favorite players to watch play this game

Embid pounds the crap out of everybody and then they call a foul on the opponent for hitting his elbow with their face.
You can’t pretend like something that’s happened 2-3 times is the norm. Embiid has scars and scratches all over his body from banging in the post.

Herro is a bit overhyped as a great SG down the road....I think he'll be solid but not elite. He's a 6th man now on Heat... I see him like a JJ Redick career but too many people are labeling him a Klay Thompson type player...which I don't see at all.

Herro is a bit overhyped as a great SG down the road....I think he'll be solid but not elite. He's a 6th man now on Heat... I see him like a JJ Redick career but too many people are labeling him a Klay Thompson type player...which I don't see at all.
JJ was strictly a shooter and was super limited outside of that. I think the best comparison for Tyler is Manu Ginobili. 6th man…facilitating 2 guard….deadly coming off of a screen.

JJ was strictly a shooter and was super limited outside of that. I think the best comparison for Tyler is Manu Ginobili. 6th man…facilitating 2 guard….deadly coming off of a screen.
Manu was an all-around player. Next level passer. Can drive and finish above the rim in traffic. Played great defense on the opponent’s number one option. Tyler can shoot, but is not as multidimensional as Manu. He is not comparable to Manu IMO.

Watch them against eachother on teams in which Tyler plays with the better teammates. Maxey is a more consistent shooter and he’s a top 2 finisher in the league. Maxey is a better defender as well. He licks his chops when Tyler switches out on him.

• Haha
Reactions: plumdog69
Manu was an all-around player. Next level passer. Can drive and finish above the rim in traffic. Played great defense on the opponent’s number one option. Tyler can shoot, but is not as multidimensional as Manu. He is not comparable to Manu IMO.
Tyler is basically their backup PG he’s averaging about 4 assists per game which is more than manu ever averaged. Manu is the better defender and the finisher. I wouldn’t even say Tyler is a better shooter but as far as ability when you consider that Tyler gets compared to Booker…Manu is a pretty tame comparison.

Daryl Morey has been on record saying this as the reason they didn’t trade Maxey but their projection of Maxey based on some tool they use is Tony Parker.

Tony Parker > Manu
Maxey > Herro

Reactions: Fox2monk
Tyler is basically their backup PG he’s averaging about 4 assists per game which is more than manu ever averaged. Manu is the better defender and the finisher. I wouldn’t even say Tyler is a better shooter but as far as ability when you consider that Tyler gets compared to Booker…Manu is a pretty tame comparison.

Daryl Morey has been on record saying this as the reason they didn’t trade Maxey but their projection of Maxey based on some tool they use is Tony Parker.

Tony Parker > Manu
Maxey > Herro
Feel like the thoughts on Herro are unrealized projections. Manu beat the US Olympic team. Can Herro get there? No idea, but that is rare air. Manu is a first-ballot HOFer.

Reactions: nptb and SuporChin
Feel like the thoughts on Herro are unrealized projections. Manu beat the US Olympic team. Can Herro get there? No idea, but that is rare air. Manu is a first-ballot HOFer.
Manu has always been one of the best players in the league. Herro would be lucky to be mentioned in the some breathe as Manu.

Maxey has been really good this year, Herro getting sixth man is awesome and Bam has been solid as can be since being in the league. Pretty awesome. Still sad Maxey and Quickly didn’t get a chance at the tournament. Those two were made for the dance IMO.

Reactions: YouKay and BigKari
Manu has always been one of the best players in the league. Herro would be lucky to be mentioned in the some breathe as Manu.
Manu is the most under rated player I’ve seen in a long time. For a guy who was that solid for that long on such great teams. He’s rarely thought of as a top player.

Reactions: SuporChin
Wish all of them had stayed at UK longer. I think we may have seen another title or two if they had stayed longer like UNC players do.

The JJ Redick comparison is a lazy one. Herro is a shot creator and is actually really skilled at that aspect. I'd compare him to a thinner framed Booker, honestly. He has a great mid-range game, deceptive athletic ability, good footwork, but until he adds weight he will always be a negative defender.

JJ Redick didn't average double figures in scoring until his 5th year in the NBA. And that was at 10ppg. Herro is averaging almost 21 ppg in his 3rd NBA season. What a stupid comparison.

I'm talking about Manu's contributions to the league and who he was as a player. Not the accolades accumulated because that is an entirely different story. Just what they can do with a basketball.

There have been many players who would have succeeded in that spurs organization with that role. Manu is a hall of famer in the weakest hall of fame in sports. I think Herro could be a 3 time champion, 3 time 6th man of the year, 20 ppg career scorer for the Heat when its all said and done. That wouldn't be surprising.

The JJ Redick comparison is a lazy one. Herro is a shot creator and is actually really skilled at that aspect. I'd compare him to a thinner framed Booker, honestly. He has a great mid-range game, deceptive athletic ability, good footwork, but until he adds weight he will always be a negative defender.

It's one of the dumber comparisons I've seen on here. In Tyler's 3rd NBA season, he scored more ppg than Redick did in any of his 17 seasons. They are shooting around the same clip from 3. Tyler rebounds the ball better, has better assist numbers. Yeah, it's a stupid comparison.

Tyler should be a good defender eventually but you are right. Its all about adding weight.

It's one of the dumber comparisons I've seen on here. In Tyler's 3rd NBA season, he scored more ppg than Redick did in any of his 17 seasons. They are shooting around the same clip from 3. Tyler rebounds the ball better, has better assist numbers. Yeah, it's a stupid comparison.
Tyler can dribble as well and run an offense as well.

Literally the only thing JJ could do in the league was shoot. He was a liability with the ball in his hands otherwise. Tyler is a combo guard who can run your offense on ball and you can run offense through off ball. Definitely way more dynamic. That's like comparing Steph Curry to Steve Kerr lol.

Reactions: Mike-D
I'm talking about Manu's contributions to the league and who he was as a player. Not the accolades accumulated because that is an entirely different story. Just what they can do with a basketball.

There have been many players who would have succeeded in that spurs organization with that role. Manu is a hall of famer in the weakest hall of fame in sports. I think Herro could be a 3 time champion, 3 time 6th man of the year, 20 ppg career scorer for the Heat when its all said and done. That wouldn't be surprising.
Manu could have been a number one option on an NBA team. Not sure if Herro can ever be that. Manu is not a product of the Spurs. I hope Herro gets some rings, but I do see him as the leader of a team that does that.

Manu could have been a number one option on an NBA team. Not sure if Herro can ever be that. Manu is not a product of the Spurs. I hope Herro gets some rings, but I do see him as the leader of a team that does that.
For most of the year I would have considered Tyler to be Miami's number 1 option because Jimmy barely played. In the playoffs thats something else of course.

I hope he morphs into a well rounded SG. The thing I hate about today's NBA (and that Herro is getting sucked into) is they all run around the 3pt line all day long and turn yourself into who can get hot from deep on a game by game basis and take some very low percentage shots. And you don't pump fake, drive the ball, pull up jumper, get to the FT line, create for others, etc..

There might not be a great comparison to Herro.....but he ain't close to Manu yet. Once the Heat move on from Jimmy Butler as he ages....we'll see for sure what the intent for Herro is as he enters his prime playing years.

Reactions: UK-chulo
I hope he morphs into a well rounded SG. The thing I hate about today's NBA (and that Herro is getting sucked into) is they all run around the 3pt line all day long and turn yourself into who can get hot from deep on a game by game basis and take some very low percentage shots. And you don't pump fake, drive the ball, pull up jumper, get to the FT line, create for others, etc..

There might not be a great comparison to Herro.....but he ain't close to Manu yet. Once the Heat move on from Jimmy Butler as he ages....we'll see for sure what the intent for Herro is as he enters his prime playing years.
Herro more than most utilizes the mid range though. In that way he is like booker but a very tame version of booker. Herro is more creative with his pump fakes, hesitations, floaters, finishing, etc than I think people give him credit for. He's a tough shot maker and will eventually be a 25-5-5 guy at his peak.

The defense is the part that worries me. He has the traits of a good defender but he lacks the effort in that area of his game.

Tyler can dribble as well and run an offense as well.

Literally the only thing JJ could do in the league was shoot. He was a liability with the ball in his hands otherwise. Tyler is a combo guard who can run your offense on ball and you can run offense through off ball. Definitely way more dynamic. That's like comparing Steph Curry to Steve Kerr lol.

This x1000

Herro can create his own shot off the dribble. Elite mid range guy. Redick was a catch and shoot guy.

Good night. We have comparisons to Ginobli and Derozan now

Herro is a high pick and roll guy mostly or coming off screens to get his shots. Hardly ever iso and takes a guy off the dribble.

I don’t see him anywhere like the guys offensive at all

Good night. We have comparisons to Ginobli and Derozan now

Herro is a high pick and roll guy mostly or coming off screens to get his shots. Hardly ever iso and takes a guy off the dribble.

I don’t see him anywhere like the guys offensive at all
He takes dudes off the dribble every night. He will do it tonight.

Reactions: Stonewall12
ADVERTISEMENT