ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Herro

Can quit with all of the absurd hyperbole? The kid has played 4 games against mediocre teams and has looked really good.

Tyler Herro is a player. He has the ability to be very good. But......

Comparing him to Curry is silly.

Reactions: UK90
Can quit with all of the absurd hyperbole? The kid has played 4 games against mediocre teams and has looked really good.

Azz. We made them look mediocre.

Reactions: awf
Klay Thompson is pretty much strictly a 3 and D player only. If he catches it he is almost certainly putting it up or taking one dribble at most. Herro is better off trying to emulate Booker and in Bahamas he made 3s off the dribble and

I actually see some Ray Allen in him. Sneaky hops high quick release and can get to rim.

I keep thinking about the SNL skit where Eddie Murphy dresses up like a white guy and gets treated differently.

Wonder if Herro did the same thing in opposite fashion as Eddie, would defense or being a starter even be a question.

Exactly.

That was like one poster who compared... so the “absurd hyperbole “ really isn’t a thing

That was like one poster who compared... so the “absurd hyperbole “ really isn’t a thing

Oh, it's plainly becoming a thing.

With amusement I've been watching it gradually build on thread after thread. Hell, in just this thread alone, I'm seeing comparitives thrown out like Ray Allen, Allan Houston, Klay Thompson, Steph Curry, etc. In reference to a four star recruit who's not yet done anything beyond that other than play well in some summer exhibition games at a Bahamian resort.

Can't wait to see the reactions when he plays well in real games.

Last edited:

With amusement I've been watching it gradually build in thread after thread. Hell, in just this thread alone, I'm seeing comparisons to Ray Allen, Allan Houston, Klay Thompson, Steph Curry, etc. For a four star recruit who's not yet done anything beyond that other than play well in meaningless exhibition games in the Bahamas.

You need a beer man. I can't speak for everybody but I'd wager most folks know he's got a long way to go to be Ray Allen are any other NBA star. Guys can have games that resemble other players your not the judge on this lol. My son said I look like Tyler Herro does that mean I'm great at baskerball?

Look, can we just agree that he gives us a legitimate scoring threat so teams can’t double PJ or even Reid for that matter. We will have a good inside/ outside offense this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newcattitudes
Klay Thompson is pretty much strictly a 3 and D player only. If he catches it he is almost certainly putting it up or taking one dribble at most. Herro is better off trying to emulate Booker and in Bahamas he made 3s off the dribble and
You are misusing the "3 and D" terminology if you apply it to Thompson.

3 and D players are guys who are expected to be good defenders, but whose main job on offense is to go stand somewhere out on the 3 point line and be ready for a kick-out if it comes, while the real offensive players try to create scoring opportunities.

That is NOT Klay Thompson. It's true that he doesn't create a lot off the dribble, but he is constantly in motion, and averaged over 9 two point FG attempts per game last year (hitting 52.6%). That's being a lot more than "strictly 3 and D", as those guys are going to have well over 50% of their (usually fairly small number) of shots come from 3 point range.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1war
And when I say Alan Houston - I mean - that is his ceiling.

Alan Houston was an NBA All-Star. Great praise. Don’t ever compare a dude to Curry though. It’s like Curry never played in college. Completely impossible to compare Herro to Curry in college, even though Tyler scores on every single level. Some of you are way too literal, and want to take yourselves way too serious. Nobody is comparing Tyler Herro to current day Steph Curry.

Reactions: WildMoon

With amusement I've been watching it gradually build on thread after thread. Hell, in just this thread alone, I'm seeing comparitives thrown out like Ray Allen, Allan Houston, Klay Thompson, Steph Curry, etc. In reference to a four star recruit who's not yet done anything beyond that other than play well in some meaningless summer exhibition games at a Bahamian resort.

you do realize...my post actually said he should MODELand PRACTICE his game after Steph right? Not that he is one...

I made physical comparison that was similar to Steph...which is one is 6'3" with 6'4" wingspan and other is 6'5" with 6'5" wingspan (this must be otherworldly gap). Then i made a comment about Tyler Herro's strong foundation...

not to mention...i made it clear its not NBA steph...

Also, just because Tyler Herro practices like Steph doesn't mean he'll get there.

Most players try to mimic and study NBA players anyways...

Alan Houston was an NBA All-Star. Great praise. Don’t ever compare a dude to Curry though. It’s like Curry never played in college. Completely impossible to compare Herro to Curry in college, even though Tyler scores on every single level. Some of you are way too literal, and want to take yourselves way too serious. Nobody is comparing Tyler Herro to current day Steph Curry.

Finally....

I actually literally said college steph...

Steph played 3 years in college. Obviously his game now and his Freshman season at Davidson featured two different players.

I tried...to make that point. but sigh...people went straight to comparing to two time MVP of NBA...

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that white players are usually crappy defensive players. Not always (as you correctly noted with your Stockton example), but in a strikingly obvious majority of cases.

I haven't seen enough of Herro yet to decide if the stereotype applies to him. But I absolutely do get why the stereotype exists--when people see a pattern repeat itself over and over ...well, eventually they start to make assumptions.
Profiling works, that’s why it’s done!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh i agree with that 100%. I am willing to say that his weakness is defense, comparatively to offense.

But i would say the thing that he should work on the most is, is his defense.

Quit talking. You're making no sense.

I just don't see Booker. Booker didn't move live Herro and their games aren't the same. I think it's a name people try and go to in order to find someone non white. It's ok to compare him to white guys because he is one lol. Booker and Herro shoot threes, only think i see similar in them.

Really ? Booker has the exact same pull up jumper, the exact same drive , and Booker is white. LOL. Hero even said he modeled his game after Booker, but hey a message board poster knows about how Tyler Hero plays more then Tyler Hero.

I tried...to make that point. but sigh...people went straight to comparing to two time MVP of NBA...

The problem with your post is not just how much better Curry is, but it's that they're really not even a similar type of player. They play different positions, have different roles, are different sizes, have different skill sets.

If you're gonna pick out a pro for a player to model his game after, you should choose someone who at least plays the same position. Herro is a pure wing, not a point, and always will be only a wing.

Last edited:
So after a few games you are comparing Tyler Herro to a top 5-10 NBA player and likely the greatest shooter in the history of the league....oh ok, got it...

So after a few games you are comparing Tyler Herro to a top 5-10 NBA player and likely the greatest shooter in the history of the league....oh ok, got it...
I see your point, but from playing the game and from seeing thousands of games at every level, you have to admit he has that scorer’s skills to flat out fill it up. He’s just a pup and will develop greater strength and athleticism over the course of the season and next couple of years. Premature statements yes, but not too off for predictions.

I see your point, but from playing the game and from seeing thousands of games at every level, you have to admit he has that scorer’s skills to flat out fill it up. He’s just a pup and will develop greater strength and athleticism over the course of the season and next couple of years. Premature statements yes, but not too off for predictions.

Yes, it's an incredibly far off prediction at this stage...

Reactions: UK90
Really ? Booker has the exact same pull up jumper, the exact same drive , and Booker is white. LOL. Hero even said he modeled his game after Booker, but hey a message board poster knows about how Tyler Hero plays more then Tyler Hero.

You do realize that Booker is not white... right?

This guy has every weapon in his arsenal. He was making left handed lay ups putting the ball high off the glass while going full speed going the opposite direction with defenders draped all over him. This guy will be a household name all over the college B.B. world soon.
I think the over/under for Sports Center will be 15 highlight clips...........

You are misusing the "3 and D" terminology if you apply it to Thompson.

3 and D players are guys who are expected to be good defenders, but whose main job on offense is to go stand somewhere out on the 3 point line and be ready for a kick-out if it comes, while the real offensive players try to create scoring opportunities.

That is NOT Klay Thompson. It's true that he doesn't create a lot off the dribble, but he is constantly in motion, and averaged over 9 two point FG attempts per game last year (hitting 52.6%). That's being a lot more than "strictly 3 and D", as those guys are going to have well over 50% of their (usually fairly small number) of shots come from 3 point range.
Klay is a 3 and D player though. He's just arguably the best one ever. He led the NBA in points per touch by far and he held the ball for 90 seconds during his 60 point game this year. If he gets it, he's popping it or taking a dribble and popping it almost all of the time

Reactions: WildMoon

I agree it’s silly to compare him to Curry. I think Herro is already a much better player. It’s insulting to Tyler to have Curry compared to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT