ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Herro

WildMoon

All-American
Apr 7, 2009
should model his game around...

none other than Steph Curry, and Coach Cal should market it as such.

I believe Herro is a lot similar to Curry than people would initially give them credit.

Both are around 6'4"-6'5" height. Wingspan around their height. They are both laterally quick, but not explosive (comparatively to top end athletes).

Tyler has a good foundation in all aspect of basketball game. Ball handling, passing, and obviously shooting. Tyler has already shown he can make long range shot off the dribble. Obviously he is very far away from Steph Curry the NBA, but he can start to mimic some of his game.

They both are weak in defensive end, but they both fight in defensive end. Which is actually all you need.

Tyler still needs to rebound better, and slowly showcase his passing, but keep in mind as a freshman, Curry, only averaged 2.8 assist per game. Scored 21.5ppg. Isn't that something Herro could do if he was key of the team? The way he scores from all area of the court reminds me of scoring ability of Steph.

Keep in mind, i did not really watch Steph in college, but based off his NBA and his progression...i would assume it looked something like Herro.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey

I believe Herro is a lot similar to Curry than people would initially give them credit.

Both are around 6'4"-6'5" height. Wingspan around their height. They are both laterally quick, but not explosive (comparatively to top end athletes).

Tyler has a good foundation in all aspect of basketball game. Ball handling, passing, and obviously shooting. Tyler has already shown he can make long range shot off the dribble. Obviously he is very far away from Steph Curry the NBA, but he can start to mimic some of his game.

They both are weak in defensive end, but they both fight in defensive end. Which is actually all you need.

Tyler still needs to rebound better, and slowly showcase his passing, but keep in mind as a freshman, Curry, only averaged 2.8 assist per game. Scored 21.5ppg. Isn't that something Herro could do if he was key of the team? The way he scores from all area of the court reminds me of scoring ability of Steph.

Keep in mind, i did not really watch Steph in college, but based off his NBA and his progression...i would assume it looked something like Herro.
Why do you say Herro is weak defensively? I thought his defense was much better than Greens in the Bahama games. I just don't get why people decide players can't play defense because they're white. John Stockton might be the greatest defensive guard in NBA history.

Steph's handle and ability to change speed and direction is otherworldly. He's also a tremendous passer.

When you add those things to the best shooter to ever live, it's not a style that can be replicated. To play "like Steph" without those obscene abilities would be terrible basketball.

Every shooter in the world could learn from his arsenal of midrange floaters and shots, and especially from his ability to give the ball up and relocate while being ready to catch and shoot before his feet are even set. But there's nothing about his play style that fits Herro.

Klay Thompson is the best Warrior comp if you want to make one. Or Nick Young. A fearless plus athlete who can kill you from three.

Why do you say Herro is weak defensively? I thought his defense was much better than Greens in the Bahama games. I just don't get why people decide players can't play defense because they're white. John Stockton might be the greatest defensive guard in NBA history.

I never said he was bad because he is white...you are just making HUGE assumption.

He let players drive to the basket, and he also were overly aggressive.

However, he'll be good. Like Steph, as long as he stays aggressive, he'll be fantastic defensively. He'll learn to stay in front of the other players.

Steph's handle and ability to change speed and direction is otherworldly. He's also a tremendous passer.

When you add those things to the best shooter to ever live, it's not a style that can be replicated. To play "like Steph" without those obscene abilities would be terrible basketball.

Every shooter in the world could learn from his arsenal of midrange floaters and shots, and especially from his ability to give the ball up and relocate while being ready to catch and shoot before his feet are even set. But there's nothing about his play style that fits Herro.

Klay Thompson is the best Warrior comp if you want to make one. Or Nick Young. A fearless plus athlete who can kill you from three.

And he should focus on getting there. I have ZERO doubt that he isn't steph right now. The idea is to work on his game to like Steph.

I think his movement without the ball is amazing. His handle is amazing, etc. etc. But these are skill-sets that if given to Tyler, he would focus on making it happen.

And he should focus on getting there. I have ZERO doubt that he isn't steph right now. The idea is to work on his game to like Steph.

I think his movement without the ball is amazing. His handle is amazing, etc. etc. But these are skill-sets that if given to Tyler, he would focus on making it happen.

I think Herro will be terrific for us and has a spot in the NBA, I'm just saying the things that make Steph Curry Steph Curry are nearly impossible to learn even with practice.

I don't think Herro will ever have those handles or instincts. They're two different players at two different positions.

Herro likely won't ever have the role that allows Steph's skills to shine. He needs to learn how to be great off the ball in limited shots and defend three perimeter positions well.

Guys like Gary Harris, JJ Redick, Klay Thompson, etc have made tremendous careers out of that. That's who he should model his game after.

I never said he was bad because he is white...you are just making HUGE assumption.

He let players drive to the basket, and he also were overly aggressive.

However, he'll be good. Like Steph, as long as he stays aggressive, he'll be fantastic defensively. He'll learn to stay in front of the other players.
I disagree. He was solid on defense. Look, no one is going to always be able to stay in front of the guy they're guarding. It just isn't possible. Even Hagans had guys go around him. That's fine if you have guys inside that help our.

rSAisYA.gif

Reactions: Cindog28
I disagree. He was solid on defense. Look, no one is going to always be able to stay in front of the guy they're guarding. It just isn't possible. Even Hagans had guys go around him. That's fine if you have guys inside that help our.

Oh i agree with that 100%. I am willing to say that his weakness is defense, comparatively to offense.

But i would say the thing that he should work on the most is, is his defense.

Oh i agree with that 100%. I am willing to say that his weakness is defense, comparatively to offense.

But i would say the thing that he should work on the most is, is his defense.
Good post. He'll end up being solid defensively, as will most of our guys. You can already tell they have the desire to be good defensively. That's been lacking from some of our past recruiting classes.
Bash away, but this is my observation.

Reactions: WildMoon
and at 3mns removed from AAU ball, he is pigeon-holed...that he can't play defense.
sometimes, the lack of perspective of our board is outrageous

Good post. He'll end up being solid defensively, as will most of our guys. You can already tell they have the desire to be good defensively. That's been lacking from some of our past recruiting classes.
Bash away, but this is my observation.

That's kind of my point. I think him and Steph both might have started weak on defensive end. You can see the fight defensively, and that'll naturally make a huge progress towards being a good defensive player.

Steph Curry now is actually pretty good defensive player.

Reactions: kev69
Herro as a freshman I was so impressed with the way he made shots from anywhere on the floor with a hand in his face and such great BB IQ..

He doesn't need a game "role model", he just needs keep on working on HIS game and the pieces will click into place quite nicely.

Reactions: ubtrapper

You know who I keep thinking his game reminds me of? At least at times? Maybe similar anyway?

White bread from Kansas. Can't remember his name though.

Devin Booker, Tyler has even said as much. He said " I want to be the next Devon Booker, i model my game after him. " Watch him, he has a lot of Devin Booker's game and tendencies. I think it is the best comp out there.

I just don't see Booker. Booker didn't move live Herro and their games aren't the same. I think it's a name people try and go to in order to find someone non white. It's ok to compare him to white guys because he is one lol. Booker and Herro shoot threes, only think i see similar in them.

You know who I keep thinking his game reminds me of? At least at times? Maybe similar anyway?

White bread from Kansas. Can't remember his name though.

Svi? Or older? Kirk Hinrich?

Svi isn't a bad comparison. He's bigger/longer than Herro.

Gotta see more of Herro's game to really compare because he played differently in each of the exhibition games.

This is a silly comparison.

First of all, they're not about the same size. Curry's a guy who measured 6'2" at the combine, but is listed at 6'3". Whereas Herro looks to me like he's every bit of his listed 6'5" (maybe even slightly over). Herro is significantly bigger.

Second, they don't play the same position. Curry is a point guard, who can also sometimes play the two. Herro, on the other hand, will never ever play point, as he does not have point skills. Instead, he's a pure wing who plays the 2, but can also play the 3.

Third, they don't have the same skills. Herro will never ever have the same sort of ultra-tight handle and ballhandling and passing skills as Curry. He also likely will never be able to shoot like him (which is no knock, considering Curry's only about the best shooter in the world). Some of you folks need to pump the brakes a bit on the Herro-mania.

A better model for Herro would be someone like Booker who played the same position and has a more similar style game.

Last edited:
Svi? Or older? Kirk Hinrich?

Svi isn't a bad comparison. He's bigger/longer than Herro.

Gotta see more of Herro's game to really compare because he played differently in each of the exhibition games.

SVI.

Couldn't remember his last name. Mikhiluk I think.

Reactions: GonzoCat90

The best way that I can think to describe what you are saying in this thread as it pertains to Curry's game is to say that it's like he is plays basketball like it's parkour, and all the other players are playing hopscotch.

(Not talking about you here Gonzo)
I'll end on this note can we please stop comparing Tyler to every Jim, Jack, Rex, Shep, John Denver, David Hasselhoff and Suzy on the planet and just let him be Tyler Herro because of that will be plenty good enough I promise you.

Last edited:
Reactions: GonzoCat90
I’m with 90 on this one. One is a combo guard and the other is a wing. Herro looks at least 6’6”.

Don’t see Curry’s game at all in Herro. Not at all.

This guy has every weapon in his arsenal. He was making left handed lay ups putting the ball high off the glass while going full speed going the opposite direction with defenders draped all over him. This guy will be a household name all over the college B.B. world soon.

I just don't get why people decide players can't play defense because they're white.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that white players are usually crappy defensive players. Not always (as you correctly noted with your Stockton example), but in a strikingly obvious majority of cases.

I haven't seen enough of Herro yet to decide if the stereotype applies to him. But I certainly do get why the stereotype exists--when people see a pattern repeat itself over and over ...well, eventually they start to make assumptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky-troutbum

jfc.

Yep.

Steph Curry is everything that all the Pete Maravich fanboys fantasize Maravich was. Curry developed other-worldly ball-handling skills, and combines that with the threat to shoot any time he's within 35 feet of the basket (except Curry is the greatest shooter to ever play the game, whereas Maravich was not).

Not something easy to replicate, and not really even worth trying to replicate, because when it fails it looks like Trae Young circa February- March last year- a guy forcing EVERYTHING, and chucking heedlessly.

Thompson is a much better role model. Unselfish player who does all the little things well, defends, awesome shooter, fits perfectly into a variety of different lineup combinations because he doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time.

I don't think there is much of a comparison between the 2 myself. Just me though, I don't see it.

Curry is not 6'5 either.

Last edited:
As i recall, Steph was not yet six feet tall as a freshman at Davidson. Like a lot of small kids with chips on their shoulder, steph over compensated by becoming an insane ball handler. Saw a show on Steph where he talks about having to re-engineer his shot because he was releasing at his hip as undersized kids do. Herro is a tall freshman with a high quick release. If he wants to pattern his game after steph his ballhandling is all thats lacking- but its hard to do at 6'5!

The best way that I can think to describe what you are saying in this thread as it pertains to Curry's game is to say that it's like he is plays basketball like it's parkour, and all the other players are playing hopscotch.

(Not talking about you here Gonzo)
I'll end on this note can we please stop comparing Tyler to every Jim, Jack, Rex, Shep, John Denver, David Hasselhoff and Suzy on the planet and just let him be Tyler Herro because of that will be plenty good enough I promise you.
I signed in just to say LMFAO at this post. Best ever!

Reactions: kyboss360
I keep thinking about the SNL skit where Eddie Murphy dresses up like a white guy and gets treated differently.

Wonder if Herro did the same thing in opposite fashion as Eddie, would defense or being a starter even be a question.

Reactions: kev69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT