ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Herro game update vs Cudhay

Thanks for this thread. Will follow it for sure - even had my 6 year old watching Tyler highlights recently. He said “I like his name, he’s a new favorite of mine” lol.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
He moves like Devin Booker and has the same form. Booker 2.0. Not a great athlete but well above average with incredibly savy and a swagger. Ill take a multi year Booker-esque player.

He moves like Devin Booker and has the same form. Booker 2.0. Not a great athlete but well above average with incredibly savy and a swagger. Ill take a multi year Booker-esque player.

Yea, someone else said this, and I just don't see Booker when I see Herro. I f you go back and look at Booker's games in high school, he seemed quicker off the dribble, better athleticism, and their release isn't close.

Just don't see it and I don't know why people keep comparing them. They are both great shooters, but their games aren't similar to me.

Yea, someone else said this, and I just don't see Booker when I see Herro. I f you go back and look at Booker's games in high school, he seemed quicker off the dribble, better athleticism, and their release isn't close.

Just don't see it and I don't know why people keep comparing them. They are both great shooters, but their games aren't similar to me.
Booker isn't even that athletic

Really? Booker is a avg athlete at beast..being quick was never his game. He was a great shooter with savey ability to score buckets. Bookers 1 year at Ky he was nothing more then a spot up shooter. Best in the country at times. But thats really it. Herro is not a great athlete average at best. Not going to blow by anyone with his quickness. Like Booker in HS. He is a great shooter with a savoy ability to get buckets. Next year. Like Booker as a frosh. He will be nothing more then a spot up 3 point shooter. Once Booker got to the pro's. We got to see that savey ability to.get buckets. Surprised everyone he was that good. At UK we just needed him to sit in the corner and wait. Next year. With incoming and remaining talent. Herro may become the clone of Booker. Like Booker. Herro will not have the space or ball enough to show his ability to create his shot. We just will not need it. I'm hoping he does develop into that knock down shooter like Booker. His upper classman years will be when his game evolves. Could you imagine Booker as a SN? No one knew he had that game.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
Really? Booker is a avg athlete at beast..being quick was never his game. He was a great shooter with savey ability to score buckets. Bookers 1 year at Ky he was nothing more then a spot up shooter. Best in the country at times. But thats really it. Herro is not a great athlete average at best. Not going to blow by anyone with his quickness. Like Booker in HS. He is a great shooter with a savoy ability to get buckets. Next year. Like Booker as a frosh. He will be nothing more then a spot up 3 point shooter. Once Booker got to the pro's. We got to see that savey ability to.get buckets. Surprised everyone he was that good. At UK we just needed him to sit in the corner and wait. Next year. With incoming and remaining talent. Herro may become the clone of Booker. Like Booker. Herro will not have the space or ball enough to show his ability to create his shot. We just will not need it. I'm hoping he does develop into that knock down shooter like Booker. His upper classman years will be when his game evolves. Could you imagine Booker as a SN? No one knew he had that game.

He was never close to the best shooter in the country when he was at UK. And his tank job the final two months (especially in March) of the season was pretty untimely as well.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I think that Herro's game is similar to Booker...

Both excellent shooters, solid (not spectacular) athletes, and similar rating and similar height.

I don't expect Herro to turn into what Booker has turned into, but I think he has NBA potential.

Hopefully he sticks around more than one year...

No player is exactly like another player, but its natural to look for similar qualities in players.

It's also interesting to see how varying some of our comparisons are, but that's what makes this fun...

I don't care how athletic or un-athletic Tyler Herro is. Doesn't matter to me because we have had a lot of athletic players on our team sitting on the bench. Can he play basketball? That is the question I have. Can he be counted on to make a basket other than a slam dunk on a breakaway? Can he drain a shot under pressure with the game on the line? If Herro is basketball savvy and can shoot, Coach Cal can work with him.

It will be fun seeing a different type of player wearing a UK jersey because the scene of players who can shoot playing for teams like Villanova, UNC and Duke and raising NCAA title trophies is getting disgusting. If we had had a few shooters in certain games we may have more titles in our trophy case.

for the Booker comparisons...in no way am I saying hes better than Booker...but hes way more advanced offensively than Booker was....and faster. And he is atheistic as hell, dont know where people are getting he isnt athletic from.

In the pre-draft tryouts, Booker scored extremely high on several of the drills ,especially the cone drill where (IIRC) , he had one of the highest scores ever recorded. I have no opinion on Herro whom I have seen only on tape.

They have the exact same game . Not overly athletic but much more so than people think and will pull a nasty dunk when you least expect it . a great mid range game , and unlimited range on 3. Not amazing drivers but can and are crafty when doing so . The one way Herro is better is that he is a bulldog and plays with a little bit of trash talk.

for the Booker comparisons...in no way am I saying hes better than Booker...but hes way more advanced offensively than Booker was....and faster. And he is atheistic as hell, dont know where people are getting he isnt athletic from.
He is more offensively gifted at this stage than booker. And yes anyone saying he isn't an athlete isn't watching enough tape. No he isn't Diallo or Monk but he also isn't Patrick Sparks either or Luke Kennard. Like Booker he is surprisingly bouncy .

Reactions: kyups01

I guess that is where he is going. :p

Reactions: kyups01
He is more offensively gifted at this stage than booker. And yes anyone saying he isn't an athlete isn't watching enough tape. No he isn't Diallo or Monk but he also isn't Patrick Sparks either or Luke Kennard. Like Booker he is surprisingly bouncy .
He offensive skill set is totally off the charts...jab step...step back is deadly.

He was never close to the best shooter in the country when he was at UK. And his tank job the final two months (especially in March) of the season was pretty untimely as well.

I said in the country when he was on. If you remember. He had a month stretch we're he was the best in the country. He shot a ridiculous percentage. Then he fell off. So yes. DURING A TIME in his frosh year he was the best shooter in the country.

This is just one of so many discussions regarding the young man's athleticism. In my opinion, as long as the young man can play adequate defense while putting the ball in the basket, then he will be just fine. We all know that he will not be considered a lockdown defender, but that's not his job at UK. His job will be busting zones, be ready off the catch from Quickley, Green, or whoever else while on the break, and provide a spark in the form of scoring. HIs athleticism is meaningless if he can accomplish those things or whatever other tasks given to him by Calipari.

Except for the fact that one was a two star, and the other is a 4 star rated #38 in his class.

... and likely to rise to fringe five star status upon the release of the new rankings after his play recently.

They have the exact same game . Not overly athletic but much more so than people think and will pull a nasty dunk when you least expect it . a great mid range game , and unlimited range on 3. Not amazing drivers but can and are crafty when doing so . The one way Herro is better is that he is a bulldog and plays with a little bit of trash talk.

He's plenty athletic. Have you seen Booker play in the NBA? He has plenty of bulldog in him and trash talk.

Let's just recruits great athletes period. No guys with great basketball iq. Love those Marcus Lee great athlete types. Let's leave the guys with average athletic ability but know the game to Nova and Duke. UK has to have the 360 dunkers. That skill wins games. Jesus. Help me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT