ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Herro commits to UK

Agree. With Herro and Baker, I think Calipari will dare teams to play zone in the next few seasons, especially if the shooting prowess of Quickley and Johnson continues developing.

Not sure if Johnson's 3 point shooting ability is gonna scare anyone. Now Quickley, Baker, and Herro....that's a scary trio from deep.

Johnson and Shai remind me of those old-school Butler/Xavier type guards who would chew opposing backcourts to pieces in March and instantly find themselves on draft boards as a result.

Quickley/Green give UK the guard combo we’ve never had under Cal – two quick-as-lightning creators who can also shoot at an elite level.

When I read stuff like this I just ignore the whole post. Green is ANYTHING but lightning quick

Reactions: Apoxie
Glad to get this guy. Hopefully, he's a contributor from day 1. With his and Baker's shooting next year, we may have stock some extra light bulbs at Rupp Arena.

I don't remember Doron Lamb, Jamal Murray, Malik Monk or Devin Booker being lock-down defenders.

Lamb was solid.
Murray was eventually okay.
Monk was dicey but had moments when he was focused.
Booker was a liability at times, particularly in the Final Four game he just got targeted and abused.

People seem to think in extremes but it is silly. There is a spectrum and one can be decent or good without being a lock down guy and another can be decent or acceptable without being a liability.

Not sure if Johnson's 3 point shooting ability is gonna scare anyone. Now Quickley, Baker, and Herro....that's a scary trio from deep.

Johnson projects to be someone who's shot has to be respected beyond the just "keep them honest" level though and keep them honest would be good enough considering his other abilities.

Jerry West, a country boy from West Virginia, was the best guard I ever saw play in the NBA. I would take West, Elgin Baylor, and Oscar Robertson (in their prime) from the 1960;s over any current guard in the NBA.

Lamb was solid.
Murray was eventually okay.
Monk was dicey but had moments when he was focused.
Booker was a liability at times, particularly in the Final Four game he just got targeted and abused.

People seem to think in extremes but it is silly. There is a spectrum and one can be decent or good without being a lock down guy and another can be decent or acceptable without being a liability.
Wrong again.
Murray?, and yes, Murray is one of my all time favorites, was a bad defender... borderline awful.
Monk was atrocious defensively...he still is.
Booker was worse than the guys above.
But, you know what? They still were a positive force for us.

UF won back to back titles with Lee Humphrey creating space for their athletes.

Or all the plays that those guys made in the Wisconsin game. If you want to lay blame on someone, how about WCS and Booker for not showing up? Or look at the real villain. The John Higgins led officiating crew blew a number of calls and gave Wisconsin 22 FTs to our 10.
And an ignored shot clock violation that would have kept them down 6 with under 2 to play

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Regardless of how good he currently is, defensively, he will get better, playing against talent, everyday. And, all he needs to do is contribute more on the offensive end, than he allows his man, on the defensive end, and he can get playing time. He doesn't have to be a lock down defender. There were times that Willis couldn't guard a bank vault, but, we had to have him on the floor. All the athletes in the world can't win ballgames, if they can't shoot from the outside, and have to get to the rim, before they can score. But, they can get to the rim, if the defense has to play them honest. This young man is a welcome addition.

It doesn't look like the guys we have now can guard anyone in a man to man. So what is different.

The only guy I'm concerned with not being solid or even good is Green. His length to quickness ratio isn't great of course he seems to be the most advanced offensively.

SGA isn't super fast either but his height at the one and busy hands means he has the tools to at least be solid or even pretty good.

Most everyone else is a matter of learning and committing to defense not capacity.

I swear, it seems like many of our fans never learned or improved on anything nor even observed anyone else getting better.

Would Rex Chapman be a fair comparison? I watched Herros video and he came to mind. Just hope he doesn't sing like Rex.

Last edited:
I really love thinking ahead to next season, knowing we are going to have multiple shooters on the roster.

Would Rex Chapman be a fair comparison? I watched Herros video and he came to mind. Just hope he doesn't sing like Rex.

I'm going to assume you weren't being sarcastic. Rex and Tyler isn't a fair comparison. Rex was a superstar before he hit campus and was light years ahead. If Tyler is our next Jeff Sheppard I'll be a happy camper.

only way Herro ends up at UK is if he literally waits til the end of spring bucks all other suitors and UK has an extra spot for him. UK staff is not really interested in him.
to everyone quoting me saying this, it's fine to laugh and make fun of it and whatever. I'll still tell you when i wrote that the uk staff had not contacted him yet and i was told point blank they weren't interested in him as more than a back up option. I'm not sure if they realized Grimes, Garland, and Barrett were 0% to UK and they decided to get on him, if his desire to play for UK turned them on to being more open to him, or if they just flat out thought he wasn't as good as he is til they saw him in person, or a combo of all 3. Regardless of what changed it doesn't matter, he's here. If you read some of my other posts you'd know I am really excited he is here as I've always wanted more Lamb and Booker type players and think Cal over values athleticism to an extent.

Jerry West, a country boy from West Virginia, was the best guard I ever saw play in the NBA. I would take West, Elgin Baylor, and Oscar Robertson (in their prime) from the 1960;s over any current guard in the NBA.
Over Steph Curry?

False

Reactions: WildMoon
to everyone quoting me saying this, it's fine to laugh and make fun of it and whatever. I'll still tell you when i wrote that the uk staff had not contacted him yet and i was told point blank they weren't interested in him as more than a back up option. I'm not sure if they realized Grimes, Garland, and Barrett were 0% to UK and they decided to get on him, if his desire to play for UK turned them on to being more open to him, or if they just flat out thought he wasn't as good as he is til they saw him in person, or a combo of all 3. Regardless of what changed it doesn't matter, he's here. If you read some of my other posts you'd know I am really excited he is here as I've always wanted more Lamb and Booker type players and think Cal over values athleticism to an extent.
I think the UK staff was pushing the narrative of not interested in Herro on purpose. For whatever reason.

ADVERTISEMENT