ADVERTISEMENT

Two Semi-related observations about current and potential recruits:

BlueRattie

Sophomore
Feb 6, 2014
Like most people on this board, I read up on our recruits and potential recruits in anticipation of the upcoming season. I've seen the same reports that many of you have, most of which seem to focus on the fact that there are (allegedly) no "one and done's" UK's current roster, a focus that is understandable, given Cal's success at getting kids in the pro's in minimal time. When I see scouting reports on your class, though, I pinpoint a different aspect of the class: a willingness to put the team's needs above their individual wants.

PG: Green / Alexander
2G: Diallo / Baker
SF: Vanderbilt
PF: Washington
C: Richards

In every publication I've read, our incoming freshmen have been described as "team first", "willing passers", or "defense oriented". However you define it, there seems to be no one coming in this fall "looking for shots". Green is obviously a pass first PG, but scouts have noted that Alexander, Vanderbilt, and Washington are also excellent passers for their positions. Richards has accepted--even embraced--his role as a rebounder and rim protector. One could make the argument that Baker and Diallo are me first "scorers", but that doesn't ring true to me. Diallo asked to be redshirted so he could work on his game; Baker came to a team with (seemingly) no starting spot for him. Those are not the actions of "me first" 2G's. Scouts have also raved about the versatility of Vanderbilt, Washington, and Alexander. So, not only are these kids able to play multiple positions, they are willing to move to change their game to accommodate the team. For an 18 year old kid, the willingness to do X when you're going to make money doing Y is exceptionally rare. I've read posters on here openly wonder "where are the points coming from?" Folks, when you have guys that are willing to put team ahead of self, the points will come.

As for the perspective recruits (Bamba and Knox), Bamba strikes me as a guy who understands his role as a defender and rebounder. Know, though, give me pause for concern. It seems like he might be waiting out the process to see where he can land that will give him the most shots. We've seen the results when you get talented but selfish players (Newman as MSU, Simmons at LSU), and I want no part of that. Bamba would be a great get, but I'm ok with missing on Knox.

Every year is a great year to be a UK fans these days, but I'm really excited to see five guys that play for each other on the court this fall. :)

I always laugh when people say there will be no one and dones next year when in reality it will be at least 3 and easily could be 4 or 5. Diallo , Bamba and Vanderbilt will all be a top 12 picks or close to that. Richards is considered a top 15 pick and PJ could easily work his way into that area as well. Also I think it is moot point to worry about knox as he ain't coming here. He will be at Duke where he will be misused as a PF or he will be at Mizzou where he can go wild and win at most 15-16 games. Cam Johnson will be our back up SF IMO.

Reactions: BigKari
I always laugh when people say there will be no one and dones next year when in reality it will be at least 3 and easily could be 4 or 5. Diallo , Bamba and Vanderbilt will all be a top 12 picks or close to that. Richards is considered a top 15 pick and PJ could easily work his way into that area as well. Also I think it is moot point to worry about knox as he ain't coming here. He will be at Duke where he will be misused as a PF or he will be at Mizzou where he can go wild and win at most 15-16 games. Cam Johnson will be our back up SF IMO.

This.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT