ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter says its down to 2 schools for Diallo.....

KMKAT

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Duluth
The St. Slices vs Cal.

Good news RT @CoachEvWilliams: Kentucky has regained some momentum in the recruitment of Cheick Diallo. Two-horse race between St John's
- Courtesy of Matt Jones

Now how are our odds? I think they're in our favor due to Skal and Briscoe.

Reactions: bluecatz11
I think Cal pulling him away from the connection he has to Slice would be a small upset.

Mullin. Not sure what kinda coach he will be like. Slice won't be calling the shots.

Hate to be pessimistic, though I believe he goes to St. Johns, CM knows NY like the back of his hand and is exceptionally respected in the area, he's the man. Slice already has been working this kid hard, on our dime, hahaha - with CM's connection to the NBA and the hoopla surrounding him, I say he goes to St. Johns. He will be their equivalent of Monster Mash, player comes in at the right time and starts things off in a big way for them, all in his home state.

Hope I'm wrong, if Cal pulls this off - man, it will be something else!

Diallo in Cal's system...wow, what a monster! Can you imagine Poythress at full motor and Diallo at full motor going at the glass?? Yikes!

I know business is business.. but it would have been nice if Slice served this recruit up to us after he left.. but I really think Diallo can have a big impact on Slice's career moving forward (Really not sure what Mullin can do with St. Johns, probably a step back for Slice in his coaching career)... so I understand why Slice is trying to put his biggest and best foot forward, and gunning for Diallo.

Still... It would have been like Slice sending a "Thank You" note and a bottle of wine to Calipari for giving him the opportunity..
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/19 7:05 PM by LineSkiCat

I am betting he comes to UK-why you ask? Ride the jokey just like you do at races. Cal is that jockey.

Originally posted by Philstat:
Hate to be pessimistic, though I believe he goes to St. Johns, CM knows NY like the back of his hand and is exceptionally respected in the area, he's the man. Slice already has been working this kid hard, on our dime, hahaha - with CM's connection to the NBA and the hoopla surrounding him, I say he goes to St. Johns. He will be their equivalent of Monster Mash, player comes in at the right time and starts things off in a big way for them, all in his home state.

Hope I'm wrong, if Cal pulls this off - man, it will be something else!
All well and good but CM has never coached a game anywhere at any level that I know of (I could be wrong though). If Diallo wants to stay home though and with the Slice connection, it might be a tough sell for UK.

Read that Coach Cal was meeting him tonight. Originally, I thought it was supposed to be Monday night. Hope Cal goes and gets him!!!

By the way, Briscoe sure did make sure that the big fella had plenty to eat at the table at the JBC game. By design? I think so!!!

This post was edited on 4/19 7:00 PM by UKEE

Let see, on one hand... you have an unproven, hometown guy who comes back to his alma mater to coach, but has never coached a college game.

On the other hand... you have a Hall of Fame coach who is one of the best in the game, competes every year for the National Championship, has every game on TV, has put tons of players in the NBA making millions of dollars, and has just lost 7 players to the NBA Draft making plenty of playing time available at Kentucky for a stud player.

I see where it may be a tough choice.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

KYJamm
GO WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!

With how hard Diallo plays, he would be a fan favorite from day one. Cal, no doubt loves his hustle and effort.

Cal WILL land this kid and here's why.
If you're Diallo do you put your odds of being a lottery pick or high first rounder in the hands of Chris Mullen and a rebuilding St. Johns? If I was Diallo I wouldn't touch that scenario. No way, no how.
Welcome to Kentucky Mr. Diallo.

If Diallo picks UK, he and we could dream of a possible national championship again. A front line of Diallo, Skal, Poy, with Lee as another option combined with a back court of Ulis and Briscoe. Wow! If he goes to St. Johns, it will be a nice team but nothing like what he could experience at UK. Hope he comes to UK>>>>>>

Cal should just walk in and show Diallo the stats of Anthony Davis and Terrence Jones from their playoff games yesterday.

"Any questions, big man?"

Originally posted by kyjeff1:
Cal WILL land this kid and here's why.
If you're Diallo do you put your odds of being a lottery pick or high first rounder in the hands of Chris Mullen and a rebuilding St. Johns? If I was Diallo I wouldn't touch that scenario. No way, no how.
Welcome to Kentucky Mr. Diallo.
If Jim Valvano can convince Jeff Ruland to go to Iona to win a national title, I think it isn't too hard to convince a kid to go to St Johns and put the school back on the map.

Doesn't Diallo speak a lot of French as his first language? Doesn't Skal speak French pretty fluently? It would be nice to have a roommate/teammate that can do that, but that is just me. Hey, I'm reaching, but it could not hurt UK's chances IMO.

Unless it's changed, Cal visiting him tommorrow. With him our chances of getting 9 go up substantially. Would mainly just need another good scorer.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:
Doesn't Diallo speak a lot of French as his first language? Doesn't Skal speak French pretty fluently? It would be nice to have a roommate/teammate that can do that, but that is just me. Hey, I'm reaching, but it could not hurt UK's chances IMO.
St John's has a player from Guinea, which is French-speaking.

Originally posted by BigBlueManSouthCentralKY:

Unless it's changed, Cal visiting him tommorrow. With him our chances of getting 9 go up substantially. Would mainly just need another good scorer.
Another one would help, but with Labissiere, Diallo, Ulis and Briscoe, I don't see a huge problem with scoring. Mulder might help too.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:
Doesn't Diallo speak a lot of French as his first language? Doesn't Skal speak French pretty fluently?
So are you saying there's a ...... wait for it ...... a French Connection?

(Popeye Doyle approves this sentiment)

Supposedly Chris fischer said some good news is coming regarding Diallo. So that's another source for you

@KySportsRadio: I think Kentucky is now in Top two for Malik Newman, Brandon Ingram, Jamal Murray and Cheick Diallo..closing 1 (or 2) is key for UK's finish

Originally posted by LineSkiCat:
I know business is business.. but it would have been nice if Slice served this recruit up to us after he left.. but I really think Diallo can have a big impact on Slice's career moving forward (Really not sure what Mullin can do with St. Johns, probably a step back for Slice in his coaching career)... so I understand why Slice is trying to put his biggest and best foot forward, and gunning for Diallo.

Still... It would have been like Slice sending a "Thank You" note and a bottle of wine to Calipari for giving him the opportunity..
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/19 7:05 PM by LineSkiCat
The main reason CM hired Slice was to get Diallo, just like he also hired the guy recruiting Diallo to Iowa State(?).

CM doing whatever it takes to get him, obviously. There ain't no gifting Diallo to Cal from the Slicer.
happy.r191677.gif

Originally posted by ORCAT:
I'm still waiting to hear from Cane on whether Diallo is a lock or not for UK. (JK, Cane)
laugh.r191677.gif
Everybody gets one . LOL no seriously IMO MUlder is a lock but beyond that in my layman opinion Diallo , Newman and Ingram are all in the what i would classify as very good chance to Cats but obviously we won't get all 3 . If had to put money on it i would say we end the class with Mulder , Ingram and Diallo .

I would love to get a guy like Diallo. Such a great motor. Reminds me of MKG in that regard.

With Slice, here's the deal, he's been selling Diallo on playing at UK all year long. Now he has to tell him that UK is not a good fit and he should go to St. John's?

Sounds like a hard sell in just a few weeks.

I really would like to see Diallo, Ingram or Brown, and Newman or Murray on the team.

Starters
G Ulis
G Newman or Murray
F Ingram or Brown
F Diallo
F Labissiere

Key Reserves
G Briscoe
F Poythress
F Lee

Shooting won't be as good if it's Brown at SF, but we are probably better on defense.

Another issue: will there be enough minutes at the 4 and 5 for both Poythress and Lee behind Diallo and Labissiere? It would be a nice problem to have, though.

Originally posted by caneintally:
If had to put money on it i would say we end the class with Mulder , Ingram and Diallo .
Newman, Brown and Maker CONFIRMED to UK.

wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by bucsrule8872:
I would love to get a guy like Diallo. Such a great motor. Reminds me of MKG in that regard.

With Slice, here's the deal, he's been selling Diallo on playing at UK all year long. Now he has to tell him that UK is not a good fit and he should go to St. John's?

Sounds like a hard sell in just a few weeks.

I really would like to see Diallo, Ingram or Brown, and Newman or Murray on the team.

Starters
G Ulis
G Newman or Murray
F Ingram or Brown
F Diallo
F Labissiere

Key Reserves
G Briscoe
F Poythress
F Lee

Shooting won't be as good if it's Brown at SF, but we are probably better on defense.

Another issue: will there be enough minutes at the 4 and 5 for both Poythress and Lee behind Diallo and Labissiere? It would be a nice problem to have, though.
If Poythress returns, he ain't coming off the bench.

I look at it this way. Look at the momentum Cal has gained in just a few days here w this kid. Slice isn't the head coach. I trust Cal and hope he winds up a cat

If Diallo goes to St Johns it will have nothing or almost nothing to do with Slice.

Cal has had a fair shot at the kid since Slice left. He has been able to give him every reason there is to come to Kentucky -- and we know Cal is a master salesman. That trumps any fading connection to an assistant.

If Cheick spuns Kentucky it's because he wants to be in NYC or he thinks he'll get more PT or he wants to be a big fish in a stagnant pond.

Think Cal has probably taken the gloves off and locked on to his main targets.

What I've been wondering all along is that since Slice supposedly has this great connection with Diallo why hadn't he already committed to UK last fall or during the season.

I don't doubt that he and Slice are close but I think the influence Slice has may be overstated to an extent. Just a thought.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TruBluCatFan:
What I've been wondering all along is that since Slice supposedly has this great connection with Diallo why hadn't he already committed to UK last fall or during the season.

I don't doubt that he and Slice are close but I think the influence Slice has may be overstated to an extent. Just a thought.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
None of the big boys usually commit early. They like the attention but I think you're right that Slice's influence has been way overrated. Again, he's not the head coach.

Am I correct about the following:

Two years ago, Slice was saying, "Cheick, the best thing for you is for you to go to Pitt."
Last year, Slice was saying, ""Cheick, the best thing for you is for you to go to Kentucky."
Now, Slice is saying, "Cheick, the best thing for you is for you to go to St. John's."

If the foregoing is correct, how can Slice have any credibility with the kid?

As everyone knows, all Slice is really saying is "Cheick, the best thing for you is to come with me, and take your chances with a head coach who has never coached a single college game."

Maybe that'll sell to a potential Lottery Pick -- but I sure wouldn't think so.

Just MHO, of course.

Originally posted by AnarchoNeoLuddite:
Looks like this Evan Williams is the only guy saying this, first ive heard of him. Need more sources..
Should be a good source(somewhere between 80 to 100 proof)If he can tell us about Maker,mark that down too
party0008.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT