ADVERTISEMENT

Tubby wouldn’t do it

Tubby considered twenty wins a good season and started Saul Smith at Point Guard. At UK…..at UK….

lmao
Tubby left when his time was up. Cal is gonna ride his fat lifetime contract until the it’s an ugly divorce. Cal should have left as soon as his losing season took place and then shoulda left when he couldn’t advance as a two seed. If he can win a title in the next year or two he will win me back but anything short of that even a ff meh it’s not worth it. Too many up’s and downs

Tubby left when his time was up. Cal is gonna ride his fat lifetime contract until the it’s an ugly divorce. Cal should have left as soon as his losing season took place and then shoulda left when he couldn’t advance as a two seed. If he can win a title in the next year or two he will win me back but anything short of that even a ff meh it’s not worth it. Too many up’s and downs
So title or bust? That's asking a lot man. I mean, K couldn't do it last year either. It's really damn hard to win the whole thing.

It's FF or bust for me. If you make the FF it's a crap shoot from there.

Let’s face it Tubby didn’t have the chops to be a high level D-1 head coach let alone at a powerhouse program like Kentucky.

At the end of the day he was able to come in at just the right time and ride the wave of momentum before it crashed. It wasn’t long before we had our hands full with schools like Western and Alabama Birmingham.

Ever since then while there’s been some good seasons, it hasn't been the same. So when they raised his banner this year, I'm not sorry I went to get some nachos instead

Reactions: UKWoodford
So title or bust? That's asking a lot man. I mean, K couldn't do it last year either. It's really damn hard to win the whole thing.

It's FF or bust for me. If you make the FF it's a crap shoot from there.
After almost getting doubled up by losses two years ago, and losing to a 15 seed yes it’s title or bust now. A final four isn’t gonna negate the two back to back terrible years. It would though give cal an opportunity to go out on top in his mind. Two years to win a title after the results the last two years that is very generous. Cals had his opportunity and he gonna get at least one more crack at it. After that get out of the way and bring in fresh blood someone hungry.

Btw the last 12 years rat face down 2 titles. Cals window for a second title is slamming shut. There’s just n more appetite for underachieving from this guy

Reactions: dezyDeco
Saul was not great, of course, but he was certainly better than Askew. Fwiw …
Not by much. Literally. His shooting percentage is only slightly better. The only thing he did better was assists. Point being, a guard who cannot score is not UK caliber.

Joe b missed the tourney 3 time's and went to the NIT and went 13-13 one season. Do we have morons on here seriously saying tubby is better than hall and calilari?

And if tubby had stayed 13 seasons no doubt he misses a tourney. It was trending that way.
True. We were on the bubble those final years. We didn't know we were in until selection Sunday.

True. We were on the bubble those final years. We didn't know we were in until selection Sunday.

Yep. Anyone watching at that time knows he was stubborn and didn't care about UK the last few years. His “20 wins being a good season” comment was a slap in the face to BBN. Imagine Calipari making that comment….. this place would disintegrate. But hypocrisy rules for some, obviously.

Can't wait to see what the upgraded staff keeps bringing in. What a lifelong ride this is.

Last edited:
Reactions: saxonburgcat
Tubby wouldn’t upgrade his assistants, left in the middle of the night for Barnyard U., and defiantly said he considered 20 wins a good season. Don’t seethe too much watching the incoming talent. Or you can always skip the games and watch Bobby Perry and Sheray Thomas Highlights.

And Tubby wasn’t exactly UK quality either. Let’s not leave that out. You don’t compare Calipari to Tubby, that’s cherry picking to the extreme. You compare him to Rupp and Pitino, because that’s his bar. He’s too good to compare to a guy like Tubby but the sad this is, Tubby actually beats him in several really important categories.

Rupp was a God and Pitino found UK in the dumpster and left us on top of the mountain. He also overtook coach K and stole his decade.

Both have out done Calipari by miles.

So I mean it is what it is.

Yep. Anyone watching at that time knows he was stubborn and didn't care about UK the last few years. His “20 wins being a good season” comment was a slap in the face to BBN. Imagine Calipari making that comment….. this place would disintegrate. But hypocrisy rules for some, obviously.

Can't wait to see what the upgraded staff keeps bringing in. What a lifelong ride this is.
It was pretty ugly on the message boards Tubby's last few years. The fans did not give him a pass, that's for sure.

Also Calipari should be MILES ahead of Tubby, and while of course he’s ahead, it ain’t really by crazy lengths like it should he at this point.

Rupp and Pitino are so far ahead of them all it’s not even funny. And that’s what pisses me off, Calipari could have EASILY been on the Pitino tier, and rather simply could have passed it, but he didn’t want that as much as he wanted other things. It is a thin line to greatness and Calipari thought he could be causal. That’s what got him the most.

In the end he wasn’t our next Rupp or Pitino, he was our next Joe Hall. And the reason I actually put him below hall slightly is because Hall really cared about winning and the program.

It was pretty ugly on the message boards Tubby's last few years. The fans did not give him a pass, that's for sure.

Don’t disagree. Just interesting to watch some use him as a way to bash Calipari. Shameless, but no surprise.

If he can win a title in the next year or two he will win me back but anything short of that even a ff meh it’s not worth it. Too many up’s and downs
This is why our fanbase is about impossible to please. I want championships and final 4's myself but someone posting title or bust for me to be happy?

This is why our fanbase is about impossible to please. I want championships and final 4's myself but someone posting title or bust for me to be happy?

You can’t take those people seriously. Nothing short of utopia works for them.. They are already preset on being unhappy.

Back to the thread: exciting times coming with the stale assistants gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bassworship
This thread would likely be more effective if you weren’t comparing Cal to Tubby imo. “Hey this guy is doing better than that other guy you all hated” just isn’t going to hit the notes you want. Imo

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Saul was not great, of course, but he was certainly better than Askew. Fwiw …
Askew was just a fallback after Cade went with his brother. Tubby said going into Saul’s junior here is my starting point guard. I think that was went Tubby started going south. You really set the bar low comparing Saul to the worst point guard UK ever had on a team.

Those aren't UK PG Numbers man.

By comparison Askew shot 34% for his time here. Smith shot 36%. That's not good enough for a PG. Now, tbf, Smith was good at assists....but that was pretty much it. He was not an offensive threat at all.
You apparently just choose to not remember Dicky Beal, Roger Harden, Sean Sutton, Sean Woods, Anthony Epps and Wayne Turner. Saul Smith was just a continuation of what we’d had for a couple decades. Before Calipari came along, point guard had been a big weakness for us. Travis Ford was the only shooter during that stretch, and only had the one good year when he had Mash pulling the defense away from everyone else.

Askew was just a fallback after Cade went with his brother. Tubby said going into Saul’s junior here is my starting point guard. I think that was went Tubby started going south. You really set the bar low comparing Saul to the worst point guard UK ever had on a team.

The shameless pivot to Askew is another pathetic comeback. This is about a coach knowingly playing his son at a level that he KNEW he was no where near capable of. Not just playing an overrated recruit that didn’t pan out as Cal did, but totally using a program to watch your son play, lol. Apples and Oranges.

But this thread is about the refreshing change and the incoming talent.

Last edited:
he was going to have a healthy Jasper, Meeks, Draymond Green, Patrick Patterson, and Kenny Friese. He was not going to have historically bad results with that group. Cal on the other hand owns the worst season in program history and the worst tournament loss in program history back to back, to say nothing of his NIT.

Tubby Smith's last year was 06/07 with Jr's Bradley, Morris, and Crawford and Fr's Meeks and Jasper.

Draymond Green was a freshman TWO years later in 08/09. In that freshman year, he averaged 3.3 PPG in 11 MPG. It wasn't until his senior season in 11/12 (that's the Anthony Davis year btw) that he became a star.

Kenny Frease also wasn't good at Xavier until his Jr and Sr seasons, in 10/11 and 11/12, same as Green.

The overlap in your player group doesn't exist.

Let's hang another banner for Tubby! "Never lost to a 15 seed" is what all UK fans care about! FF's are not important but beating a 15 is!
I think a statue would be a nice thing for him. Won with class, beat Duke. Contrary to what some think, UK wasn't "on the bubble" those last 2 years. Granted, 8 seeds weren't good but they werent sweating out the possibility of being the last 12 or 13 seed to get an at large either. If I am not mistaken Billy G's first season they were on the bubble.

I remember well at the time that Tubby was about to have a tough road. We were definitely looking at NIT’s, or more than likely. He got out of town because he knew it too.

Again it doesn’t mean anything for Calipari. He’s been to NIT’s at UK and missed the post season entirely. He’s now had a 15 seed loss and blowouts to rivals, Duke, had trouble beating UT, and on.

I will never compare Calipari to anyone other than Pitino and Rupp. That’s the bar he’s capable of and that’s the bar he set for himself.

You can’t take those people seriously. Nothing short of utopia works for them.. They are already preset in being unhappy.

Back to the thread: exciting times coming with the stale assistants gone.

We are not an average program. We hold the most top 5 rankings of the major D1 basketball categories and maybe the most first place leads. We are the top dog in this sport. Because of that, situations arise where it is title or bust. If we were NC State or even Kansas it wouldn’t be the case.

Calipari is absolutely at a title or bust situation not only for UK but his historical record. You let up over the next decade we lose our position. How any UK fan cannot understand this is beyond me. Louisville would be much closer the pace for the guy you’re responding to than UK.

The need a small minority feel to defend Calipari is overriding what we’re supposed to be doing here.

Last edited:
I think a statue would be a nice thing for him. Won with class, beat Duke. Contrary to what some think, UK wasn't "on the bubble" those last 2 years. Granted, 8 seeds weren't good but they werent sweating out the possibility of being the last 12 or 13 seed to get an at large either. If I am not mistaken Billy G's first season they were on the bubble.

LOL, a statue for a guy that said 20 wins was a good season.......while being head coach at KY. The hypocrisy in this thread knows no bounds. Some that couldn't stand Tubby are surely grabbing onto him now out of nothing but spite for Calipari. #Petulant

Back to the thread: Cal adjusted his staff when it got stale. Tubs didn't.

Tubby Smith's last year was 06/07 with Jr's Bradley, Morris, and Crawford and Fr's Meeks and Jasper.

Draymond Green was a freshman TWO years later in 08/09. In that freshman year, he averaged 3.3 PPG in 11 MPG. It wasn't until his senior season in 11/12 (that's the Anthony Davis year btw) that he became a star.

Kenny Frease also wasn't good at Xavier until his Jr and Sr seasons, in 10/11 and 11/12, same as Green.

The overlap in your player group doesn't exist.

He's FOS but I commend him on giving me a big belly laugh. I'm always up for doubling over in laughter.

Let’s face it Tubby didn’t have the chops to be a high level D-1 head coach let alone at a powerhouse program like Kentucky.

At the end of the day he was able to come in at just the right time and ride the wave of momentum before it crashed. It wasn’t long before we had our hands full with schools like Western and Alabama Birmingham.

Ever since then while there’s been some good seasons, it hasn't been the same. So when they raised his banner this year, I'm not sorry I went to get some nachos instead

I have no problem with him as he gave me the greatest win of my lifetime (98 regional vs. Duke) and then we were not even 10 rows off the floor along the baseline for both Final Four games in San Antonio. Watching the UNC fans leave in shame after losing to Utah was priceless. Hearing the SEC chant after beating Utah was for the ages.

I'm just saying he wouldn't upgrade his assistants and Cal did. Facts are facts.

Reactions: CowboyGumBoots

What the absolute eff? It hasn’t been the same? Seriously?

We were literally the program of the decade recently. Cal’s run from 2009-2015 is unmatched anywhere in the sport. I don’t know what anyone else could have exclected in that time frame. Sure, since 2015, much left to be desired. But for 6 seasons, Cal was kicking ass and taking names.

Hasn’t been the same. Good grief.

Rick is a mummy and flipped off Rupp. Like it or not, the Pitno that was at UK is dead. And has been for a long time. Sadly, Cal is teetering on the same fate. Unless he finds his pre-2015 self, he will be in the same category as a Rick, the what might have been.

The 90s are dead. We need to accept that. Getting old sucks. But dang. Let’s try to have just a pinch of optimism. We’ve got Dilly coming in. Wagner is still technically on the table. Oscar is back this year. Our players are looking stronger with Rob out of the picture. We’ve still got Chin on the side line. We get basketball in August!

Yeah. Cal is the X factor. But there’s a lot to look forward to next season.

This thread would likely be more effective if you weren’t comparing Cal to Tubby imo. “Hey this guy is doing better than that other guy you all hated” just isn’t going to hit the notes you want. Imo

I think the point interweaving is there have been some miserable folks since Pitino left and I got news for them. He ain’t coming back. Neither is Rupp. Cal has been solid up until the last couple of years. We need him back.

If he can’t do it, we’ll, it’s on to find a someone who can.

You are without a doubt wrong on this. I know for a fact two very good players told me Saul played way more than he should of played. I am not going to say players names. But it is a fact!!

Two very beautiful starlets -- including one pouty French girl -- told me I was the love of their lives. Not going to name them. But it's a fact!!!!!

I think the point interweaving is there have been some miserable folks since Pitino left and I got news for them. He ain’t coming back. Neither is Rupp. Cal has been solid up until the last couple of years. We need him back.

If he can’t do it, we’ll, it’s on to find a someone who can.
I don’t think that’s it. I was very, very happy with Tubby for most of his tenure. I was also ready for him to move on by the end of his last year. It felt like it was time for both him and Kentucky by the end of his final season. The split needed to happen, and I say that as a guy that was a big Tubby fan.

I feel similarly about Cal right now. There is room for nuance here. You’re not either miserable or Pollyanna. A lot of gray area there, if you have a brain that’s capable of thinking for yourself. Just my opinion.

I don’t think that’s it. I was very, very happy with Tubby for most of his tenure. I was also ready for him to move on by the end of his last year. It felt like it was time for both him and Kentucky by the end of his final season. The split needed to happen, and I say that as a guy that was a big Tubby fan.

I feel similarly about Cal right now. There is room for nuance here. You’re not either miserable or Pollyanna. A lot of gray area there, if you have a brain that’s capable of thinking for yourself. Just my opinion.

Yes there is. And I wasn’t saying you were one of them. But there are some in this fan base that yearn for the “bygone days” of Pitino as if only he will ever do.

It should be a cautionary tale, buecuase some of these are probably the same that mock UofL for wanting Jurich back or mock the EweTee fans for yearning for Fulmer.

I can tell you there were those who would never accept Tubby for the sole reason he wasn’t Rick. Or felt resent,ent towards him because “he won with Rick’s dudes”.

Nonetheless, I digress. Cal has made some changes and should get come credit. Now he has to produce a postseason run this go round worthy of this program.

Two very beautiful starlets -- including one pouty French girl -- told me I was the love of their lives. Not going to name them. But it's a fact!!!!!
Glad you have luck with the ladies. But I don’t tell things that folks tell me. Not sure if these guys have any contacts with Saul or Tubby. I was also shocked when they said they were glad to be getting out from under Tubby. They said he treated them like little children. As long as I know the FACTS don’t really care with you think you know!!

What the absolute eff? It hasn’t been the same? Seriously?

We were literally the program of the decade recently. Cal’s run from 2009-2015 is unmatched anywhere in the sport. I don’t know what anyone else could have exclected in that time frame. Sure, since 2015, much left to be desired. But for 6 seasons, Cal was kicking ass and taking names.

Hasn’t been the same. Good grief.

Rick is a mummy and flipped off Rupp. Like it or not, the Pitno that was at UK is dead. And has been for a long time. Sadly, Cal is teetering on the same fate. Unless he finds his pre-2015 self, he will be in the same category as a Rick, the what might have been.

The 90s are dead. We need to accept that. Getting old sucks. But dang. Let’s try to have just a pinch of optimism. We’ve got Dilly coming in. Wagner is still technically on the table. Oscar is back this year. Our players are looking stronger with Rob out of the picture. We’ve still got Chin on the side line. We get basketball in August!

Yeah. Cal is the X factor. But there’s a lot to look forward to next season.
I’m optimistic for sure. I never said I wasn’t. There’s a difference in being a dominant dynasty (3 championship games in 3 years) and being an elite program. I wouldn’t call either option bad or negative in any capacity.

The fact is it’s not the same, unless you can point me to where we went to three straight title games. The leader of the program when that run was halted was Tubby Smith.

Calipari, in the years since had had a much better career than Tubby. This does not mean we are a dominant dynasty though. Those years are gone, and so that is precisely why things have never been the same since

Yes....why would any UK fan NOT care about losing to a FIF...TEEN seed?!!??

Exactly!!! Win 20 games, make the tournament and never lose in the first round is what matters to UK fans the most! Tubby was the dream coach most on this board would love to have back. When Cal retires, UK should hire GG! Send them emails to Mitch, "We want GG and we want GG now!"

Exactly!!! Win 20 games, make the tournament and never lose in the first round is what matters to UK fans the most! Tubby was the dream coach most on this board would love to have back. When Cal retires, UK should hire GG! Send them emails to Mitch, "We want GG and we want GG now!"
This is a silly post. No one is begging to have Tubby back, either.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT