ADVERTISEMENT

Tubby wouldn’t do it

Exactly!!! Win 20 games, make the tournament and never lose in the first round is what matters to UK fans the most! Tubby was the dream coach most on this board would love to have back. When Cal retires, UK should hire GG! Send them emails to Mitch, "We want GG and we want GG now!"

LOL, just a hand full of butthurt UK fans that are salty about Dilly Dilly and anything else that's positive while Cal is still here.

Last edited:
I think we should indeed give Cal credit for changing. He overhauled the assistants. He's changed how he's recruiting. We're offering guys way earlier than we used to. Those of you that have been mad we haven't gone after enough Kentucky boys--he's targeting those. I think we've gone after guys with more skills/shooting ability instead of raw athleticism, which was a big complaint.

Lastly, instead of the teams full of 5 star 1 and done's--we've got Juniors and Seniors and mega talented sophomores.

I think he's done everything we've demanded of him. Just have to get the results for a change.

I think we should indeed give Cal credit for changing. He overhauled the assistants. He's changed how he's recruiting. We're offering guys way earlier than we used to. Those of you that have been mad we haven't gone after enough Kentucky boys--he's targeting those. I think we've gone after guys with more skills/shooting ability instead of raw athleticism, which was a big complaint.

Lastly, instead of the teams full of 5 star 1 and done's--we've got Juniors and Seniors and mega talented sophomores.

I think he's done everything we've demanded of him. Just have to get the results for a change.
I agree with this. He’s done many of the things we wanted to see. Frankly, last year was going really well until the last month of the season. Then the wheels pretty much fell off in the last month of the season. I know we had some injury stuff, but you have to be able to get through that without losing to St. Peter’s in round 1. He built up some goodwill, then lost most of it in the course of about 2-3 weeks.

This upcoming year will be huge for Cal.

Last edited:

All that is very true, but a bunch of people here have made it clear that they hate him and want to see him fail so they can say they were right!

Funny thing, the things you listed are what they said needed to happen but their word is no good and they move the goalpost to a different gripe. See ya soon. Good post.

Reactions: Cats192
All that is very true, but a bunch of people here have made it clear that they hate him and want to see him fail so they can say they were right!

Funny thing, the things you listed are what they said needed to happen but their word is no good and they move the goalpost to a different gripe. See ya soon. Good post.
Like I said in my previous post, I think most people were pretty happy with Cal for most of last year. People were feeling much better about him and how he’s running this program. Then it just came apart on us in the last month of the season and culminated with what’s probably the most embarrassing loss in NCAA tournament history for the Cats. And they limped into the tournament with really pitiful performances in the SEC tournament. All in all just a really poor March, which was a tough pill to swallow for this “march is all that matters!” fanbase.

2022-2023 is going to be huge for Cal. He needs to have not only a good regular season, but also a deep tournament run this year. Simple as that.

Reactions: KentuckyMildCats
Like I said in my previous post, I think most people were pretty happy with Cal for most of last year. People were feeling much better about him and how he’s running this program. Then it just came apart on us in the last month of the season and culminated with what’s probably the most embarrassing loss in NCAA tournament history for the Cats. And they limped into the tournament with really pitiful performances in the SEC tournament. All in all just a really poor March, which was a tough pill to swallow for this “march is all that matters!” fanbase.

2022-2023 is going to be huge for Cal. He needs to have not only a good regular season, but also a deep tournament run this year. Simple as that.

Ya if the season ended in February we would’ve had a lot of people back on the bandwagon. He’s been very different this offseason as well. Not yucking it up at the draft, posting a bunch on social media, has been more low key than I can ever remember in an offseason. I know that sounds like a silly thing to notice but with Cal it’s definitely a different approach. This year he needs to deliver some results.

Last edited:
Reactions: STL_Cat
Ya if the season ended in February we would’ve had a lot of people back on the bandwagon. He’s been very different this offseason as well. Not tucking it up at the draft, posting a bunch on social media, has been more low key than I can ever remember in an offseason. I know that sounds like a silly thing to notice but with Cal it’s definitely a different approach. This year he needs to deliver some results.
Good post. I appreciate your takes because you actually understand nuance and the fact that there is a ton of gray areas here. I agree with it.

If this team has a great regular season and goes to the final four you’re going to have a bunch of people (me included) saying good on you, Cal. Let’s go. Anything short of that and more “I get to go play with my dogs sooner!” comments from Cal after a loss, we’re headed toward a pretty ugly divorce. That’s imo

I’m optimistic for sure. I never said I wasn’t. There’s a difference in being a dominant dynasty (3 championship games in 3 years) and being an elite program. I wouldn’t call either option bad or negative in any capacity.

The fact is it’s not the same, unless you can point me to where we went to three straight title games. The leader of the program when that run was halted was Tubby Smith.

Calipari, in the years since had had a much better career than Tubby. This does not mean we are a dominant dynasty though. Those years are gone, and so that is precisely why things have never been the same since

Point to me ANY program since that has been to three straight title games. Closest you can even come is Florida under Donovan (back to back) or Nova under Wright (went 2 times in three years), or Butler in 2011.

There’s a reason for that. The sport has changed in the last thirty years. And it’s hard as heck to get ther much less win it.

I think that’s pretty unfair weight to lay at Tubby’s feet. Even more so since no one has done it since Tubby’s title in 1998. I mean it’s been 11 years since anyone went to back to back title games (which was Butler where they score a sizzling 43 points to lose to that jerk Calhoun).

Last edited:

This. Man is trying. He just has to deliver now.

frozen-let-it-go.gif

Point to me ANY program since that has been to three straight title games. Closest you can even come is Florida under Donovan (back to back) or Nova under Wright (went 2 times in three years), or Butler in 2011.

There’s a reason for that. The sport has changed in the last thirty years. And it’s hard as heck to get ther much less win it.

I think that’s pretty unfair weight to lay at Tubby’s feet. Even more so since no one has done it since Tubby’s title in 1998. I mean it’s been 11 years since anyone went to back to back title games (which was Butler where they score a sizzling 43 points to lose to that jerk Calhoun).
The game has changed but our more recent run from 2010-2015 shows that a 90s-type dynasty is not impossible. I think we can get to that level and beyond.

But the point is we already were at that level when Tubby took the helm. His performance at other schools also does not do him any favors.

I for one do place blame at his feet for the coaching and leadership incompetence that ultimately ended with putting Dwight Perry in the starting 5 during Tubbys last NCAA tournament. What a fall from grace and a perfect synopsis of his tenure as a coach.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Joe b missed the tourney 3 time's and went to the NIT and went 13-13 one season. Do we have morons on here seriously saying tubby is better than hall and calilari?

And if tubby had stayed 13 seasons no doubt he misses a tourney. It was trending that way.
That is just a opinion, it is a fact with the snake oil salesman.

This is a silly post. No one is begging to have Tubby back, either.

The post was made in jest. But, there is a serious issue in that Tubby came right out and said that 20 wins was great. If Cal had said such a thing, this board would have gone into meltdown mode. Cal has been bashed constantly since the season ended. Ironically, this was the same season that this board celebrated hanging a banner in honor of Tubby.

Cal's lows have been lower than Tubby's lows but his highs have been MUCH higher.

Cal's lows have been lower than Tubby's lows but his highs have been MUCH higher.
If you are going by the highest of highs, which is a National Championship, they both have one. Cal does have more Final Fours/Championship game appearances which is great, but he's not surpassed Tubby yet on the highest of highs.

If you are going by the highest of highs, which is a National Championship, they both have one. Cal does have more Final Fours/Championship game appearances which is great, but he's not surpassed Tubby yet on the highest of highs.

Very fair point. Yeah, I was considering FF's in the highest of highs. For me personally, it comes down to tournament success more than anything else. I am VERY disappointed in anything less than an E8. So, a loss in the first round isn't that much worse, in my mind, than a loss in the 2nd round. If Cal gets us back to a FF in the next year or two, I will be happy.

ADVERTISEMENT