ADVERTISEMENT

Tubby wouldn’t do it

Is it Groundhog day?? Tubby is recognized, it's a new age, we got to get out of this funk, start playing some basketball.

Al McGuire said that coaching is like politics. You have be smart enough to do it and dumb enough to think it important. I think the difference between the greatest coaches in college and the average coach in high school is much less than people imagine.

Sport's fans imagine that they can put calipers on coaching ability. They make very fine grained distinctions. When our son was little I was suddenly elevated to coaching his Bee Swarm soccer team. It was grimly comic. But coaching is a lot like directing a movie. Most of it is just showing up. I'm sure someone who knew more about soccer (> 0) could have directed the kids better than I did, but the kids themselves still had to play, and that's the great leveler. Coaching stops at the bench.

Tubby never had a losing season, never missed tournament and never went to NIT.

Tubby wouldn’t upgrade his assistants, left in the middle of the night for Barnyard U., and defiantly said he considered 20 wins a good season. Don’t seethe too much watching the incoming talent. Or you can always skip the games and watch Bobby Perry and Sheray Thomas Highlights.

Reactions: MakinMusic
Al McGuire said that coaching is like politics. You have be smart enough to do it and dumb enough to think it important. I think the difference between the greatest coaches in college and the average coach in high school is much less than people imagine.

Sport's fans imagine that they can put calipers on coaching ability. They make very fine grained distinctions. When our son was little I was suddenly elevated to coaching his Bee Swarm soccer team. It was grimly comic. But coaching is a lot like directing a movie. Most of it is just showing up. I'm sure someone who knew more about soccer (> 0) could have directed the kids better than I did, but the kids themselves still had to play, and that's the great leveler. Coaching stops at the bench.

Tubby considered twenty wins a good season and started Saul Smith at Point Guard. At UK…..at UK….

lmao

Tubby considered twenty wins a good season and started Saul Smith at Point Guard. At UK…..at UK….

lmao
Al McGuire had started his son as PG. He told his players, frankly, that they had to be waaay better than Allie to start, They didn't kick about it. As near as I can tell, the players at UK didn't kick about it. Saul was an SEC quality PG. It's always seemed like a ginned up issue to me.

Al McGuire had started his son as PG. He told his players, frankly, that they had to be waaay better than Allie to start, They didn't kick about it. As near as I can tell, the players at UK didn't kick about it. Saul was an SEC quality PG. It's always seemed like a ginned up issue to me.

Lmao!

Tubby wouldn’t upgrade his assistants, left in the middle of the night for Barnyard U., and defiantly said he considered 20 wins a good season. Don’t seethe too much watching the incoming talent. Or you can always skip the games and watch Bobby Perry and Sheray Thomas Highlights.
Another retread idiot. Which usernames did you previously post these mouth breather posts under?

Those aren't UK PG Numbers man.

By comparison Askew shot 34% for his time here. Smith shot 36%. That's not good enough for a PG. Now, tbf, Smith was good at assists....but that was pretty much it. He was not an offensive threat at all.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
But to sum up, thanks for getting better assistants. Can't wait to watch the incoming talent.

Some idiot here has said multiple times that Cal is "intentionally trying to destroy the program." Dilly Dilly!!

I loved Tubby. Hated to see him go.

Sadly, the media said we ran him off....which couldn't be further from the truth. Allegedly, He was told that he was a great ambassador for UK basketball and to surround himself with better assistants. Instead, he took the first job that didn't have nepotism rules, got his kids paid and went out the side door.

Last edited:
Reactions: dl51344
If he had stayed a few more years he’d have done all those things.

he was going to have a healthy Jasper, Meeks, Draymond Green, Patrick Patterson, and Kenny Friese. He was not going to have historically bad results with that group. Cal on the other hand owns the worst season in program history and the worst tournament loss in program history back to back, to say nothing of his NIT.

he was going to have a healthy Jasper, Meeks, Draymond Green, Patrick Patterson, and Kenny Friese. He was not going to have historically bad results with that group. Cal on the other hand owns the worst season in program history and the worst tournament loss in program history back to back, to say nothing of his NIT.

Nonsense. I promise you he doesn't go if he knew he had that, nor would they have said a word to him about getting better assistants. Complete hearsay.

He wouldn’t surround himself with better assistants when things got stale. Cal did it.
I’m glad Cal finally made some changes, we seem to be back to getting higher end recruits which is good. Hopefully we keep more depth as well. If Cal would just change the offensive philosophy a bit and institute some different defensive schemes he could get back to the top.

You are without a doubt wrong on this. I know for a fact two very good players told me Saul played way more than he should of played. I am not going to say players names. But it is a fact!!

Reactions: berniecarbo
Different game, but Vince Lombardi said, "Guys who can draw up plays are a dime a dozen.". You can hire assistants for X and O's. Other factors are more important.

That's mainly because Tubby was a 8 or 9 seed his last few years. When you barely make the tournament you normally don't play a 15 seed.
His last TWO years. You’re not the first person I’ve seen post this about Tubby that his last few years were bad. His :3rd to last year we were a 2 seed and a double OT away from the final four. His last two years were bad though, for sure.

Reactions: Bassworship
Tubby was a SUPER nice guy but he didn’t like to deal with AAU folks. That got him behind in recruiting. I felt like after he coached with RP we were getting a RP clone. Didn’t like his style near as much as RP.

Tubby never had a losing season, never missed tournament and never went to NIT.

Joe b missed the tourney 3 time's and went to the NIT and went 13-13 one season. Do we have morons on here seriously saying tubby is better than hall and calilari?

And if tubby had stayed 13 seasons no doubt he misses a tourney. It was trending that way.

Tubby was a SUPER nice guy but he didn’t like to deal with AAU folks. That got him behind in recruiting. I felt like after he coached with RP we were getting a RP clone. Didn’t like his style near as much as RP.

That’s because Tubby was just not as aggressive. But some of Tubbys teams were amongst our best.

Yes, he did t want to play the AAU game and that’s where college ball was headed. Tubby wasn’t wrong per se either. Some of those AAU folks are absolute snakes. But, like every thing else sometimes you have to play the game a bit.

That’s because Tubby was just not as aggressive. But some of Tubbys teams were amongst our best.

Yes, he did t want to play the AAU game and that’s where college ball was headed. Tubby wasn’t wrong per se either. Some of those AAU folks are absolute snakes. But, like every thing else sometimes you have to play the game a bit.
Agree you have to deal with some folks you don’t care about. The old days you would talk to high school coaches. Seems like now days most guys have handlers.

Agree you have to deal with some folks you don’t care about. The old days you would talk to high school coaches. Seems like now days most guys have handlers.

They do. And some of them are scammers trying to make bank off a kid. I can see why a ,for genuine person like Tubby wouldn’t want a dang thing to do with them.

Reactions: wentzel25
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT