ADVERTISEMENT

Troy wins again...

Very happy for Neal Brown's success. Can he win in the SEC? Mitch will no doubt have Neal near the top of the list of our next sacrificial head coach. I'm not sure how many places in the coaches graveyard that are left.

Very happy for Neal Brown's success. Can he win in the SEC? Mitch will no doubt have Neal near the top of the list of our next sacrificial head coach. I'm not sure how many places in the coaches graveyard that are left.
Why can't Brown have success?

Beating Idaho in football is meaningless. A better question is can he recruit well enough to get us out bottom in SEC recruiting and can he develop those he recruits.

Reactions: brianpoe
He likely wouldn't take the job. Didn't he transfer out of here and already spent time here as OC? He knows how screwed up this job is more than anyone not already fired from here. We either have take someone with issues and no other options or a young guy that is arrogant and thinks he could do it.

Reactions: thepip
Beating Idaho in football is meaningless. A better question is can he recruit well enough to get us out bottom in SEC recruiting and can he develop those he recruits.
Beating Idaho is meaningless if you're an SEC or most any other P5 school, however it's not meaningless to Troy who is playing on a comparable and relative level football wise.

Beating Idaho is meaningless if you're an SEC or most any other P5 school, however it's not meaningless to Troy who is playing on a comparable and relative level football wise.

Isn't Idaho dropping back down to 1-AA?

He likely wouldn't take the job. Didn't he transfer out of here and already spent time here as OC? He knows how screwed up this job is more than anyone not already fired from here. We either have take someone with issues and no other options or a young guy that is arrogant and thinks he could do it.
I think NB is young and arrogant enough to think he could (can) do both... Know I no longer think MS can

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
He took over a team that was 3-9 before he got to Troy.

This season he has..
-beaten a Southern Miss team that Kentucky could not beat
-lost AT Clemson, maybe the toughest road environment in the county, by 6 points(the same amount of points UofL lost to Clemson by)
-Completely annihilated a New Mexico State that UK gave up 42 points to just a few weeks ago

He's 37 and a pretty good offensive mind. When he was at UK those two years, there was a lack of talent and offensive line depth...but the team showed growth. The team has definitely regressed on O since his departure. He has head coaching experience and is doing well, so no more on the job training. He played at UK, so it is a place that he would want to win and succeed. He was a heck of a recruiter at UK from what I remember and has coached in different regions..giving him a lot of connections.

People keep going on about "winning in the SEC is different"...no ITS NOT. Yes, beating LSU, Bama, UGA, UF, and UT is hard....but at UK I'd like us to be able to beat Mizzou, SC, and Vandy along with beating our 3 gimme wins(which he showed that he can have less talent and do better against teams that UK plays). If a coach can win those games consistently...then we can talk about beating UGA and Florida...but until then I'll settle for beating the teams we can/should beat first.

This season he has..
-lost AT Clemson, maybe the toughest road environment in the county, by 6 points(the same amount of points UofL lost to Clemson by)
-Completely annihilated a New Mexico State that UK gave up 42 points to just a few weeks ago

He's 37 and a pretty good offensive mind. When he was at UK those two years, there was a lack of talent and offensive line depth...but the team showed growth. The team has definitely regressed on O since his departure. He has head coaching experience and is doing well, so no more on the job training. He played at UK, so it is a place that he would want to win and succeed. He was a heck of a recruiter at UK from what I remember and has coached in different regions..giving him a lot of connections.

People keep going on about "winning in the SEC is different"...no ITS NOT. Yes, beating LSU, Bama, UGA, UF, and UT is hard....but at UK I'd like us to be able to beat Mizzou, SC, and Vandy along with beating our 3 gimme wins(which he showed that he can have less talent and do better against teams that UK plays). If a coach can win those games consistently...then we can talk about beating UGA and Florida...but until then I'll settle for beating the teams we can/should beat first.
If we fire Stoops, he should be on the short list. He's punched above his weight at Troy...

Reactions: jdgilbys5
2 years ago people ran him out of here. I'm sure he would be thrilled to get an offer so he could give a double middle finger to all those who called for his head. Im sure there are several posters on this board who shed no tears when he left. Now, he wins a game against perennial power, Idaho and some experts foresee the second coming.

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce

This season he has..

Right now I have an open mind after this Poops debacle. My question would be can he rrcruit good enough to compete in SEC?

Right now I have an open mind after this Poops debacle. My question would be can he rrcruit good enough to compete in SEC?
I think he was instrumental in getting so many of those guys in that 2014 class that was ranked so high.

Another thing too, because he was with the team before it wouldn't have to be a full staff shakeup..like you could keep Vince Marrow because they already worked together.

Let's let him get his licks in at some other P5 bottom feeder or a little bit higher up mid major before we make a decision on him.

Purdue, SMU, Boston College, Fresno State, Oregon State, Kansas, etc...

I wish NB all the best and would love for him to succeed and proceed, but I think it would work out for all if he went and got some legit experience in the big boy leagues before he came here.

Let's let him get his licks in at some other P5 bottom feeder or a little bit higher up mid major before we make a decision on him.

I wish NB all the best and would love for him to succeed and proceed, but I think it would work out for all if he went and got some legit experience in the big boy leagues before he came here.
You're considering us a higher starting point than those P5 schools? UK should be Brown's next stop.

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
I'd take Neal in a heartbeat.

We need an offensive minded guy with some arrogance and edge. He is that. He was severely handicapped when he was here. Now, we have the horses on offense to win games if we try to outscore people.

Neil has done great, but he has the luxury of an experienced team. Has 30 jr/sr in the two deep. He struggled to win four games with those guys as sophomores and juniors (which is exactly what we have this year).

Before we go naming him the savior of Kentucky football, would like to see him build an actual roster and see development. If we go that Rout

This isnt a team that he has built by himself. Let's give him time to get his players in a ststen before we really judge. He might be great, but right now it's hard to give much credit. Experienced teams tend to usually looked better coached and know how to compete alittle more.

You're considering us a higher starting point than those P5 schools? UK should be Brown's next stop.

No. I'm not saying UK is higher up than those programs. I am saying that I would prefer that NB get some worth while experience at a low tier program in a more competitive conference.

Right now, with the way the game is in this modern era, an offensive minded coach with a system like the "air raid" can quickly turn a program like troy around in a conference like the sunbelt where there is not a huge disparity in coaching and playing talent. Heck he may very well be the superior coaching mind in that conference.

I'd wager that NB could be at texas state or arkansas state, being doing just as well and probably be able to beat the Troy team he's got.

Let's see what he can do in conference where he's got to compete with some known coaches/programs for recruits and on the field. Let's see what he can do when he is out gunned on the field and on the sideline, because that will be the case at UK 8-10 games a year.

Coaching is coaching and results are results. He took a 3-9 team to 4-8...and now they're 4-1 and looking like a dangerous mid major team. He inherited a program that had not been to a bowl in 5 years and now they look like they can compete with any mid major school. Also, going into Death Valley and coming within 6 points of victory is dang good coaching no matter who he inherited. Steve Kragthorpe inherited Brian Brohm and a 13-1 UofL squad and they did not make a bowl...you still have to coach them up to win games.

He's been a coach at Texas Tech and Kentucky from 2010-2014...which is Big 12 and SEC BIG TIME FOOTBALL. He coached under Tuberville as well, so he knows what a legit coaching staff looks like unlike the one he saw here at UK.

He has big time experience, and it looks like he's passed the head coaching skills test considering he is winning games and his teams look disciplined compared to Stoops who still does not have the coaching skills down like clock management and such.

Neal Brown head coach and he can bring in Tony Franklin as the offensive coordinator.

I've never been a NB fan as an OC or QB coach, but what he's done in such a short time at Troy is extremely impressive. That program had really deteriorated in the years prior to him going back there. Although short turnarounds at the non-Power 5 level is not indicative of future success at a Power 5 school. Look at Dave Doeren (NIU to NC State) and Daryl Hazel (Kent State to Purdue). I feel like the non-Power 5 level is very luck based.

If you want to compare adding to win total from when taken over the program stoops looks good. Went from 2 and has more than doubled that (have climbed sec ladder also). A lot of luck plays into a win loss record. Butch jones musta sold his soul to the devil this season with the way they are playing. Could as easily be 1-4 as they are 5-0.

If you want to compare adding to win total from when taken over the program stoops looks good. Went from 2 and has more than doubled that (have climbed sec ladder also). A lot of luck plays into a win loss record. Butch jones musta sold his soul to the devil this season with the way they are playing. Could as easily be 1-4 as they are 5-0.
But that also does not add into progression. The Troy teams honestly look like they have gotten way better since NB took over the program.

-Stoops went 2-10 year 1 following up on a 2-10 year.
-They went 5-7 the next year..beating 3 cupcakes(No more WKU to hurt them) SC was a good win, and a Vandy team w/o James Franklin and a lot of seniors. There was some progression though...
-but then last year it was stagnant at 5-7 and the team ended up regressing in many ways towards the end of the season.
-Now it looks like the team has gone backwards completely.

I do think in year 2 we progressed a bit and looked a little more competitive, but we also played a tougher schedule. Replace WKU with Southern Miss and it still looks like the same results/team that Stoops took over, struggling with good mid majors and getting ran out of the building by power teams.

Wins and losses are one thing...but the S. Miss and Florida loss got the fan base down because it looked like the team has gotten worse...NB has taken Troy to another level and they have clearly gotten better.

Last Win at South Carolina was a good win last year (all road games are good in this conference). Let's also not forget that USC was coming off a win at Charlotte of North Carolina who finished regular season at 11-1. They were still all together then.

The mizzu win was good. When you beat the two time defending champ is a step in right direction.

We have improved on our standings in the conference. And I'll stand by this. Neil has done good at Troy. But older more experienced teams tend to look better than young teams. And I think that's what you are seeing. If (don't think we should this year) don't know if Neil has showed enough to be a serious Canidate just yet. Want to see if he can sustain success. And if you keep stoops one more year, that allows III to also evaluate brown over a bigger sample. But. I matter who you hire it can work, or not work. It's all a crap shoot in the development of success early on on how ball bounces. Tennessee could as easily be 1-4 as they are 5-0 without some luck.

2 years ago people ran him out of here . . . Im sure there are several posters on this board who shed no tears when he left.

You are correct. This board was ready to run NB out of town on a rail. Week after week fans raged against his play calling. And now fans are holding a vigil for his hire? It's unbelievable.

Brown needs another season as HC which might be good for us since we won't
get rid of Stoops yet because of $$$$$

I think that all this discussion about a coach is premature and driven by those who want MS gone. The fact is that it is NEXT year's record/on field results that will determine the future of MS , whether that be here or elsewhere. Give it up people Stoops will still be our coach through next season. Unless 2017 is a real flop and he is let go mid-season so that we can get a head start on other schools in a coaching search.

I think that all this discussion about a coach is premature and driven by those who want MS gone. The fact is that it is NEXT year's record/on field results that will determine the future of MS , whether that be here or elsewhere. Give it up people Stoops will still be our coach through next season. Unless 2017 is a real flop and he is let go mid-season so that we can get a head start on other schools in a coaching search.
So lets say UK loses to Vandy...and only beats APSU to finish the year...which is very likely. That puts them at 3-9.

If we go 3-9, 4-8...what makes you think it will get any better next season? Season ticket sales will plummet and the recruiting class will fall apart. I mean what kind of hype can you build for a program that has promised all these things the last few years but continues to lose?

Mitch may be loyal to a fault, but the administration and him should know better. IF they do not get to 5-7 or 6-6...you can honestly say there is not much of a hope that the team will be much better next year...or the next year. That would be delaying the inevitable while there is no hype built around the program for another season just because of a buyout.

You are correct. This board was ready to run NB out of town on a rail. Week after week fans raged against his play calling. And now fans are holding a vigil for his hire? It's unbelievable.
I for one didn't rag on NB... Till some one proves other wise this off. problems are coming from the head man himself.

I a
So lets say UK loses to Vandy...and only beats APSU to finish the year...which is very likely. That puts them at 3-9.

If we go 3-9, 4-8...what makes you think it will get any better next season? Season ticket sales will plummet and the recruiting class will fall apart. I mean what kind of hype can you build for a program that has promised all these things the last few years but continues to lose?

Mitch may be loyal to a fault, but the administration and him should know better. IF they do not get to 5-7 or 6-6...you can honestly say there is not much of a hope that the team will be much better next year...or the next year. That would be delaying the inevitable while there is no hype built around the program for another season just because of a buyout.
Not saying how it should be, only stating what I view to be the fact that as fans we must deal with. IMHO we are stuck with MS through most of next season

So you want him to be successful at some other bottom feeder P5 school and them come to UK? Why would he, or any other successful P5 coach, want to come to UK?

So you want him to be successful at some other bottom feeder P5 school and them come to UK? Why would he, or any other successful P5 coach, want to come to UK?

Yes, and for the same reason all other coaches leave jobs for other jobs. Money.

If some hot up and coming coach does well at a Illinoise, BC, IU, Maryland, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Uconn, etc...offer him a million more dollars a year, tell him about the new state of the art football center, beat the SEC drums...

ADVERTISEMENT