ADVERTISEMENT

Troy McKinley

After we lost to UL in ‘83, there was blowout party at the lodge. Troy McKinley hung his butt over a railing and took a crap inside.

Fast forward to the start of the ‘83-‘84 season. Sports Illustrated was in town doing a photo shoot. Team was pretty high on itself.

After SI left, Joe B got everyone in the gym. Made them go stand on the baseline. Joe B says, “McKinley, even a dog knows enough to go outside before taking a $#!+!”

Joe B proceeded to run the whole team to death for the party they thought they had gotten away with. That’s my only Troy McKinley story.

Last edited:
After we lost to UL in ‘83, there was blowout party at the lodge. Troy McKinley hung his butt over a railing and took a crap inside.

Fast forward to the start of the ‘83-‘84 season. Sports Illustrated was in town doing a photo shoot. Team was pretty high on itself.

After SI left, Joe B got everyone in the gym. Made them go stand on the baseline. Joe B says, “McKinley, even a dog knows enough to go outside before taking a $#!+!”

Joe B preceded to run the whole team to death for the party they thought they had gotten away with. That’s my only Troy McKinley story.

Damn. lol. Joe B always had the best stories and the players to make them work.

He would have killed it with Pitino. He was a long range shooter who was money, but Joe didn’t coach that type of basketball.
Probably wouldn't have made much sense for Joe to coach that way as there wasn't a 3 point shot for most of his career.... back then long range shots were a lower percentage chance of made shots

Troy McKinley was UK’s victory cigar. Hoping he is doing well after his time at UK.
I thought Troy turned into way more than a victory cigar. He really came into games and could flat out shoot. I remember hearing he was out in his driveway shooting BB when JoeB called with an offer.

Joe B preceded to run the whole team to death for the party they thought they had gotten away with. That’s my only Troy McKinley story.
Sounds like he had a blowout at the blowout!!

• Haha
Reactions: Aike
Actually moving near Gulfport around Bay St. Louis, but I’ll be close to Gulf Shores and not far at all from Destin. With New Orleans 50 miles west on top of it, I’m as excited as can be honestly. Taking forever because of my properties but trying to wrap it up this year.
Went to Biloxi saw the memorial for the hurricane victims. Unreal how high the storm surge was during the big hurricane. Hope the storms stay away seems like that area is getting to be like hurricane alley. Like the people down there good folks.

Reactions: Gromcat
Have too many to name honestly. Glocks AR’s different stuff. I drive a Corolla and buy guns. Right now going heavy in surplus rifles. They’re about to be tough to get CMP running out of Garands and prices are getting crazy. Just got in a very nice Arasaka T/99 yesterday. All original and complete (except for dust cover) with mum and anti-aircraft sights. Has the old original Japanese family tag of the soldier who carried it. attached too. Hard to believe the Japanese thought you could shoot at planes with a rifle.

45-D71-BEA-30-F7-45-D7-A0-A5-25697575-BE23.jpg

probably should have put the jersey on the floor.
Hell yeah. That is super sweet. I’m glad you didn’t put the jersey on the floor. I bet ammo for that is hard to find or expensive, or both.

Thought some olds would like to see this. I usually have all of my UK game used J’s in frames but honestly forgot about a few stuffed in the closet. Moving to the gulf and came across it. I never hear much of anything about this guy, but this is one Joe Hall gave to us years ago. Excuse the guns I am limited on room because of the move and just wanted to share. Figured we could discuss a player rarely mentioned.

1-FD6045-D-D53-D-44-DE-908-B-DABD8-D37-C702.jpg

BB4363-CB-383-B-4-D2-A-9763-5-D79-C3-B3826-C.jpg
Wait a minute, you got all this cool UK gear that you’ve posted on this site….but you’re supposed to be a Memphis troll according to a few Einstein’s on here LOL 😂

Went to Biloxi saw the memorial for the hurricane victims. Unreal how high the storm surge was during the big hurricane. Hope the storms stay away seems like that area is getting to be like hurricane alley. Like the people down there good folks.

Yea that’s my only issue but life goes on and you just have to deal with it. Where I’m from in west Tennessee near the western ky border the tornadoes are a much bigger concern to me. At least with hurricanes you’ve got time.

Reactions: chroix
Troy was my DARE officer back in the 5th grade. Genuinely nice guy and a math wiz.

doesn’t surprise me he went into teaching. Good for him.

I would think more would be known about him. It’s weird I know so much about so many planets going back years because of my father and such but never heard really anything at all about him.

Have too many to name honestly. Glocks AR’s different stuff. I drive a Corolla and buy guns. Right now going heavy in surplus rifles. They’re about to be tough to get CMP running out of Garands and prices are getting crazy. Just got in a very nice Arasaka T/99 yesterday. All original and complete (except for dust cover) with mum and anti-aircraft sights. Has the old original Japanese family tag of the soldier who carried it. attached too. Hard to believe the Japanese thought you could shoot at planes with a rifle.

45-D71-BEA-30-F7-45-D7-A0-A5-25697575-BE23.jpg

probably should have put the jersey on the floor.
Was about to say. You don’t want people to know what you got. They can plan against you now. 😂

I thought Troy turned into way more than a victory cigar. He really came into games and could flat out shoot. I remember hearing he was out in his driveway shooting BB when JoeB called with an offer.
Agree. His senior season he played pretty significant minutes. He wasn't really that mobile so he was a liability on defense but he made up for it on the other end by being a pure shooting threat. His biggest problem is he graduated before the three-point shot came into effect.

Troy McKinley Career UK Statistics

Troy McKinley was a nice shooter when he could get his feet set with no one in his face. He couldn't get his shot off very quick [which meant he didn't shoot often] but it was a great looking shot when he did. McKinley graduated in 1985, and the 3-point line was universally adopted by the NCAA in April 1986 for use beginning in 1987. My memory is the SEC was not one of the conferences that "experimented" with the 3-point line during McKinley's time at UK, but I could easily be wrong on that.

McKinley could flat out shoot it. Had a huge State Tournament and earned a scholarship.
I remember reading about it in the newspaper back in the day, but I wasn't there for any of the tournament games. Yeah, the story line was McKinley's play in the tournament earned him his scholly at UK. Did his younger brother also have a cup of coffee as a Wildcat, or am I confusing him with Brett Bearup's younger brother?

I didn’t realize people would be more interested in the guns I probably should have. When you own a lot of them it’s not a huge deal after time.
This. You see them differently when it's not your first one or defensive purposes. Once you get into fun, rare, collector and investment stuff you just about don't even see them as an actual firearm anymore.

Also agree with whoever commented on not wanting to add another caliber to the ammo bunker. Yep! 😏

This. You see them differently when it's not your first one or defensive purposes. Once you get into fun, rare, collector and investment stuff you just about don't even see them as an actual firearm anymore.

Also agree with whoever commented on not wanting to add another caliber to the ammo bunker. Yep! 😏

Exactly. And I love guns but like you said it’s turned into a historical thing more so than anything. And also an investment. It’s always good when you are buying guns but it doesn’t count as “spending”. There’s nothing quite like a hobby that appreciates.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Exactly. And I love guns but like you said it’s turned into a historical thing more so than anything. And also an investment. It’s always good when you are buying guns but it doesn’t count as “spending”. There’s nothing quite like a hobby that appreciates.
Lordy, I wish fishing lures appreciated! If soft plastics did, I'd already be a trillionaire five times over. Lol.

• Haha

Thought some olds would like to see this. I usually have all of my UK game used J’s in frames but honestly forgot about a few stuffed in the closet. Moving to the gulf and came across it. I never hear much of anything about this guy, but this is one Joe Hall gave to us years ago. Excuse the guns I am limited on room because of the move and just wanted to share. Figured we could discuss a player rarely mentioned.

Big guy from Independence I think? 6-6 looked athletic. Surprised he didn’t put up more.
He was not athletic. 1 dimensional. Had good shooting range at a time when that wasn't much valued. Shot also wasn't that quick

ADVERTISEMENT