ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry on 630 WLAP

One thing that really hurt Dontaie's development was the injuries prior to UK--didn't he have a car accident after he was almost recovered from the ACL?? Then he showed well in the dreaded '21 season and deserved more minutes, but last year he had a window to really contribute and just didn't do enough. Know it wasn't a big enough window for some fans who wanted him to be given more of a chance, but if you stay in a program you'll get a chance...it's what you do when relied upon and for all the frustration of '21 season, I didn't think he had a good account of play in '22. Not just missing shots but letting it compound by not being aware of defensive responsibilities/rules that broke down. Then think he knew he was leaving/so did Staff so both moved on.
Dontaie became too tense. He got to the point where he doubted everything he was doing and knew any mistake was getting him jerked.

Of course he had a lot more freedom in HS, but when he was playing with confidence, he was and is a very good player.

Patrick Sparks was a good guard for us. Crafty and could shoot it. Knew how to play with lots of intangibles and high b-ball iq. Travis seems to have those qualities. I like guys that play like that. Always felt Patrick would make good plays and decisions.

Whoa you hung out with Shep in 98? That’s a cool story you need to share.

We were in Lexington around the time I was 13 my sister was playing high school basketball and getting scholarship offers. Through my uncle who had good connections to UK we were meeting Stacey for her to work with my sister and Jeff showed up. They went through drills and we walked the facilities, then went out with both to Joe Bologna’s. It was a two - three hour slob fest about UK from both. They are very close to the university there’s no doubt about it. UK also brought them together and of course they’re still married.

I did not get anything but signatures from Jeff but Stacey grabbed us a GU women’s jersey for my sister. Since me and my father are the big collectors in the family I have it today.

My sister played one year of college basketball and became hooked on drugs. She’s currently on the run in Nashville. Heroin.

• Sad
Reactions: BBUK
Patrick Sparks was a good guard for us. Crafty and could shoot it. Knew how to play with lots of intangibles and high b-ball iq. Travis seems to have those qualities. I like guys that play like that. Always felt Patrick would make good plays and decisions.

Sparks was always overshadowed by the better talent on the team in Rondo, Crawford, and Bradley (and Azubuike). He would have fit better with a different group of guards. Sparks was also in his 4th year of college when he joined UK.

Thad Jaracz wasn’t quite as good as Larry Conley, Toomy Kron, or Mike Casey, but he contributed and had a very good career.
Thad was a dog and had the things you can’t teach in basketball. Grit, toughness, desire, to win.

Thad was a dog and had the things you can’t teach in basketball. Grit, toughness, desire, to win.
You bet he did...Adolph saw that...Harry tried to talk him out of it....Harry was glad he was wrong. I will never forget when Conley, Kron, Dampier, Riley, Jaracz were interviewed about the roles they played on the 65-66 team...The four of them gave specifics...scoring, passing, defense, etc. When it came to Jaracz, he simply said..."I did what ever Adolph told me to do. I was just happy to be there.” I wish I could find someone with the outlook in this day and time.

Last edited:
I agree. One would think though like Anthony White said, has to be in back of mind with what happened with Allen.
Big difference is that Perry is a extremely hard worker, which Allen lacked. Perry will have, by the time his high school career is over, played against much tougher competition. I'm sure he will be at several of the camps, which to my knowledge Allen didn't participate.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
TyTy just got drafted in the NBA. I'd put the house on Perry not being a 5 star one and done. So anyone that comes to UK knows they are going to need to put in the work to advance in the pecking order. It is pretty simple.

Question is...does he want to go Bradley and play immediately or come to UK and work to eventually get in the rotation?
I am fairly certain that he will not sign with UK. Hope he does though.

His dad is a pharmacist and his mom is a doctor. Career wise, He will probably follow in his mom’s footsteps. Very smart young man.

In no hurry to make a commitment now, which is fine with me. I'll eat my hat if he doesn't choose UK.
In the grand scheme of things, it does not matter whether he picks Kentucky or not. Perry looks like a good player, but better players are in Kentucky's sights. Perry could be a beloved Wildcat, but the undeniable truth is that he will not take playing time away from guys like Tre Johnson, Ian Jackson, Isaiah Elohim, and Karter Knox, some of whom will be at Kentucky. There is a good chance that Sheppard and Thiero will still be there too. I don't think Sheppard is a very good comp for Perry. They can both shoot, but Sheppard is bigger and has already been tested against much better competition. Cal will sign Perry, if he can, because he has scholarships available and fans inside the state demand this. But Perry is good enough to start at a lot of other schools. At Kentucky, he would mostly sit because bigger SEC guards would force him to play defense.

In the grand scheme of things, it does not matter whether he picks Kentucky or not. Perry looks like a good player, but better players are in Kentucky's sights. Perry could be a beloved Wildcat, but the undeniable truth is that he will not take playing time away from guys like Tre Johnson, Ian Jackson, Isaiah Elohim, and Karter Knox, some of whom will be at Kentucky. There is a good chance that Sheppard and Thiero will still be there too. I don't think Sheppard is a very good comp for Perry. They can both shoot, but Sheppard is bigger and has already been tested against much better competition. Cal will sign Perry, if he can, because he has scholarships available and fans inside the state demand this. But Perry is good enough to start at a lot of other schools. At Kentucky, he would mostly sit because bigger SEC guards would force him to play defense.
100% correct/ from my perspective anyway.

but, but, we have all been told that he is "not good enough to play for UK".

hmmm--why are good shot makers so demeaned by begok luvers?

rr

ADVERTISEMENT