ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry is doing things that "I've never seen [at any] level of basketball." - Mark Pope

Perry may well be the surprise recruit in the country.

He’s a badass 3 level shooter. He has an unmatched competitive nature. He’s just quiet about it.

He has that indescribable something that just makes him a player. Epps, Shep, Quickley, just to name a few, had it

He won’t be on any all defense teams. But he will make a Farmer type difference. The team will just be better when he plays.

Coming into college, he was a significantly better shooter than Reed and it wasn’t close. I didn’t say player, I said shooter. The kid can flat out get buckets from everywhere on the court and in so many ways.

You are correct but imo we cannot compare Perry to reed. Reed had a historic season in terms of efficiency rating. It barely got mentioned because of the coach and he wasnt a highlight machine. His shooting splits were insane. His assist to t/o was nuts, and he could play on or off ball.

I think people still underestimate Reed's athleticism. Well before he posted the top vert in the combine, he was blocking 3 pointers out of the air even in the bahamas. Thats absurd hops.

Perry is an altogether different skillset and player. Comparing him to someone that had a statistically all time great cbb season is just not doing him justice.

Yeah I'm not in love with some of this.. saying a 4* recruit is doing things that this 50 year old coach has NEVER seen? How our PGs are just gonna lock everyone down? Not a fan of this.

Hoping he's actually genuine here and not just trying to hype his team up, or worse, he's showing some level of incompetence here.

I'm trying to stay grounded with Pope, because we still don't know what we're going to get from him as a coach. There's a world where he's the next big thing, and his modern offense, recruiting, love for UK, and positivity has us rolling.. and there's also a world where he does more stuff like tearing his button up off to reveal a UK jersey while we're in 7th place in the SEC.. and then theres eveything in between. We just really don't know yet. And that's why some of these comments.. idk. Would prefer to stay away from some of the hyperbole.
Pretty obvious from your first sentence you are staying "Grounded with Pope" [eyeroll]

Not sure why you can't be excited.... I don't know if troll don't care but your writing screams it... If Pope fails here he fails here but it won't be lack of coaching ability or effort. Go Big Blue.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua and Wonky
Geezzzz.. WHO CARES... What do you want the coach say... I dunno never seen him play OR OR yeah he sucks or he really is just ok athletically.. These statements crack me up.. OF COURSE he is going to be excited about HIS players... If he stayed silent then you and everyone else on here be man I wish Pope would tell us something. This is almost like Cal with his injury reports. Crickets......
Pope sure is talking up a good game. If these guys are as good as he says we shouldn't lose an ooc game.

Some of his quotes sound very cal or pitino like with hyperbole.

He can shoot, but can he hit when he’s being guarded by sec athletes? Can he get the shot off consistently? Does he have enough lateral quickness to guard? Can he play off ball? Can he rebound? Just some questions I have. Hope he’s legit.
I think we all think this because we have PTSD from Cal’s offense and how guys had to mostly create their own shots. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised how Pope’s offense, player movement, etc will create the open shots for these guys.

I think we all think this because we have PTSD from Cal’s offense and how guys had to mostly create their own shots. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised how Pope’s offense, player movement, etc will create the open shots for these guys.
Agree. That said, when it comes to the three frosh, who know how to make baskets, I'm most curious about how well they can guard as freshmen.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
This is almost like Cal with his injury reports. Crickets......

I think this is still one of the more silly takes I've seen beaten to death around here.

You clearly don't understand professional/collegiate sports if you think it's odd or wrong for coaches to not give detailed reports of every player's injury to the media and fans. Nobody does this. Some sports like Hockey don't even tell you what body part is injured. It's just upper body or lower body. Coaches don't owe the fans some injury report because 1. it's really none of their business and 2. it's giving out information that could be used by the other teams. How many times in college basketball did we see injuries where there was just no time table to return? Dozens apon dozens last year. Kevin McCullar ring a bell? How about Christian McCaffrey having calf/Achilles problems, and despite San Fran knowing the severity, they purposely didn't rule him out until right before the game.

I got real bad news for the fans who think Pope is just going to be like "Yes Perry has a bruised knee, here's the Xrays, and will be out exactly 13 days, not anymore or any less, that's my promise to BBN".

Yeah I'm not in love with some of this.. saying a 4* recruit is doing things that this 50 year old coach has NEVER seen?

Have you ever seen a college freshman make 59 consecutive corner treys? I haven’t. Have you seen a college freshman hit 300 straight free throws? I haven’t.

I fail to see how Mark Pope being 50 years old is relevant, and I think your accusation of hyperbole is odd. The man is being honest. Now whether Perry’s abilities will translate to real games remains to be seen. But given that he broke a 70-year old scoring record AS A JUNIOR in high school… I find the comparisons to the Todd Tacketts and Josh Carriers of the world utterly ridiculous. And quite frankly, I don’t give a shit how many stars the kid had. Aren’t we past that after all Cal’s 5-star failures?

Have you ever seen a college freshman make 59 consecutive corner treys? I haven’t. Have you seen a college freshman hit 300 straight free throws? I haven’t.

I fail to see how Mark Pope being 50 years old is relevant, and I think your accusation of hyperbole is odd. The man is being honest. Now whether Perry’s abilities will translate to real games remains to be seen. But given that he broke a 70-year old scoring record AS A JUNIOR in high school… I find the comparisons to the Todd Tacketts and Josh Carriers of the world utterly ridiculous. And quite frankly, I don’t give a shit how many stars the kid had. Aren’t we past that after all Cal’s 5-star failures?

There's like half a dozen other posters who mentioned hyperbole or a similar phrase, so it's clear these comments have some people asking questions.

The point I'm making about him being 50 years old, is that he has roughly 30 years of basketball experience.. as a coach, as a player, as an assistant. He's been at major programs (UK) mid majors (BYU) and low majors (Utah Valley). He's played this game at every level. So it's just a little peculiar to hear him say something like "I have NEVER seen something like this" and saying things about how he has not a single worry about trying to defend any point guard next year (Paraphrasing). Which is obviously going to be picked up by SEC point guards.

Jimmer Fredette was one of the best college basketball players in the last 20 years.. but he could just not handle playing in the NBA, because eventually talent has to be backed up by athleticism. And he didn't have that. Now with Perry, I have no idea how he will do at the college level, but I think it's fair to say that it's not just some given he's going to do what he did in high school, playing against teams in the SEC.. similar to Jimmer trying to make it in the NBA. So to hear Pope try and insinuate that Perry is doing things he's never seen EVER in his 30 years.. yeah, it's a little hyperbolic.

I guess I would rather Pope, who has yet to coach a game here, just say things like "I really love how our defense is practicing" and "Wow, Perry just hit 59 threes, we're very excited for his future here".

Reactions: RunninRichie
There's like half a dozen other posters who mentioned hyperbole or a similar phrase, so it's clear these comments have some people asking questions.

The point I'm making about him being 50 years old, is that he has roughly 30 years of basketball experience.. as a coach, as a player, as an assistant. He's been at major programs (UK) mid majors (BYU) and low majors (Utah Valley). He's played this game at every level. So it's just a little peculiar to hear him say something like "I have NEVER seen something like this" and saying things about how he has not a single worry about trying to defend any point guard next year (Paraphrasing). Which is obviously going to be picked up by SEC point guards.

Jimmer Fredette was one of the best college basketball players in the last 20 years.. but he could just not handle playing in the NBA, because eventually talent has to be backed up by athleticism. And he didn't have that. Now with Perry, I have no idea how he will do at the college level, but I think it's fair to say that it's not just some given he's going to do what he did in high school, playing against teams in the SEC.. similar to Jimmer trying to make it in the NBA. So to hear Pope try and insinuate that Perry is doing things he's never seen EVER in his 30 years.. yeah, it's a little hyperbolic.
Fredette is a good example. Maybe Perry is that? I don't care what Perry does for the NBA. Even though I hope he has an NBA career after his UK days are done.

I think Perry is going to be a great college player. I was a skeptic at first too. I've now seen him play probably a half dozen times live. He's not impressive until he plays. He doesn't look like he can get his shot off. But he does. He doesn't look like he can get to his spot on the floor. But he does. He doesn't look like he can beat his man off the dribble. But he does.

He has defensive liabilities. But he makes up for it by being in the right place. He reads the passing lanes and where a ball handler is going as well as anyone I've seen since Travis Ford.

Fredette is a good example. Maybe Perry is that? I don't care what Perry does for the NBA. Even though I hope he has an NBA career after his UK days are done.

I think Perry is going to be a great college player. I was a skeptic at first too. I've now seen him play probably a half dozen times live. He's not impressive until he plays. He doesn't look like he can get his shot off. But he does. He doesn't look like he can get to his spot on the floor. But he does. He doesn't look like he can beat his man off the dribble. But he does.

He has defensive liabilities. But he makes up for it by being in the right place. He reads the passing lanes and a ball handler is going as well as anyone I've seen since Travis Ford.

And I'm not trying to bag on Perry AT all. I think 59 made threes in a row is wild and I think he might have a level of ascension like Shep had. He's going to be great. I just don't like hearing this sort of talk from my coaches, in any sport, and certainly not when they are pretty unproven (the coach, i mean).

Cowherd had a great point on this I think a week ago. He said he prefers his coaches to NOT be overly emotional and high energy, to the point of being fanatical, theatrics, putting their foot in their mouth. He pointed to guys like Andy Reid and Jay Wright (game winning shot at Villanova as the example). As opposed to guys like Saleh and Sirianni, the latter who is often just saying things he shouldn't, saying things he shouldn't, making promises. And Saleh for similar, trying to celebrate with Rodgers when they weren't even up by much. And I really thought it was a great point. And honestly, Cal wasn't good with this either towards the end of his career. Raging too much on the sidelines, laying into players, his press conferences, when he wins he makes sure you know it.. stuff like that.

You are correct but imo we cannot compare Perry to reed. Reed had a historic season in terms of efficiency rating. It barely got mentioned because of the coach and he wasnt a highlight machine. His shooting splits were insane. His assist to t/o was nuts, and he could play on or off ball.

I think people still underestimate Reed's athleticism. Well before he posted the top vert in the combine, he was blocking 3 pointers out of the air even in the bahamas. Thats absurd hops.

Perry is an altogether different skillset and player. Comparing him to someone that had a statistically all time great cbb season is just not doing him justice.
Efficiency rating?

If you count three-point shooting percentage, which is what we want him for, Travis Perry shot a significantly higher percentage than Reed Sheppard did all through high school, which is all we have to compare them by so far.

By their high school performance, which is the only thing we can reasonably compare them by, the only scoring metric by which Reed beat Travis (or even matched him) is free throw shooting. And only by a little bit. I think we’ll somehow manage to scrape by with Perry only averaging around 87% from the line.

Reactions: KFuqua
Perry may well be the surprise recruit in the country.

He’s a badass 3 level shooter. He has an unmatched competitive nature. He’s just quiet about it.

He has that indescribable something that just makes him a player. Epps, Shep, Quickley, just to name a few, had it

He won’t be on any all defense teams. But he will make a Farmer type difference. The team will just be better when he plays.
Totally agree my man. Good points.

Geezzzz.. WHO CARES... What do you want the coach say... I dunno never seen him play OR OR yeah he sucks or he really is just ok athletically.. These statements crack me up.. OF COURSE he is going to be excited about HIS players... If he stayed silent then you and everyone else on here be man I wish Pope would tell us something. This is almost like Cal with his injury reports. Crickets......

People on here remember these types of quotes. When Cal did it pre season and bombed last 4 years, people remembered. When Pitino did it at UL and fell on his face, we sure reminded him of it.

I'm fine with the excitement but the over the tip hyperbole just isn't my cup of tea. We are allowed to have various opinions on this forum and in this country so respect yours.

People on here remember these types of quotes. When Cal did it pre season and bombed last 4 years, people remembered. When Pitino did it at UL and fell on his face, we sure reminded him of it.

I'm fine with the excitement but the over the tip hyperbole just isn't my cup of tea. We are allowed to have various opinions on this forum and in this country so respect yours.
This claim about Perry hitting 59 straight corner threes cannot be hyperbole because it is a specific statement of fact; it is either true or false. When it comes to attaching specific numbers to specific events there cannot be exaggeration or hyperbole, just truth or lies.

Reactions: BlueCat#8 and Wonky
This claim about Perry hitting 59 straight corner threes cannot be hyperbole because it is a specific statement of fact; it is either true or false. When it comes to attaching specific numbers to specific events there cannot be exaggeration or hyperbole, just truth or lies.

Exactly the point I was making in response to LineSki!! Numbers don’t lie. If Mark Pope says he has never seen a player at any level hit 59 corner threes in a row in practice, then he has never seen it lol. It isn’t hyperbole, and it doesn’t matter how old Mark Pope is. You could live to be 100 and never see that.

Pope is just taking a page out of Pitino's playbook. Some of you don't seem to know why Pitino once called "Antoine Walker the most important player on this team" or why he said Allen Edwards "was the smartest player I ever coached."

Pitino said stuff like that because he was building up his players. He often would say something like that when either they were doubting themselves (Edwards almost transferred after his sophomore year), or the media was doubting them (many media members wondered if Walker could lead UK's roster full of talent to a title).

I think it's clear that Pope is just trying to do the same. Notice how often when he starts talking about the roster, he literally names EVERY player and gives a short analysis of how much they've improved.

And if Perry goes 0-59 from three in his UK career, what did it hurt for Pope to try to give him some positive public praise? Nothing. If Pope has never seen a guy make 300 straight free throws, his statement is factually true. If he honestly doesn't worry about our point guards locking up opposing SEC point guards, it's factually true. What does it hurt to be positive and grounded at the same time? Pope's not saying, "We have a Final Four caliber team."

He's merely encouraging his players.

"Encourage one another daily, so long as it is called today." Hebrews 3:13

Exactly the point I was making in response to LineSki!! Numbers don’t lie. If Mark Pope says he has never seen a player at any level hit 59 corner threes in a row in practice, then he has never seen it lol. It isn’t hyperbole, and it doesn’t matter how old Mark Pope is. You could live to be 100 and never see that.

You're misquoting me. Hyperbole wasn't him saying he made 59 threes in a row. It was when he said Travis is doing things he hasn't seen from another player at any level of basketball. I thought this was clear, but I maybe didn't explain it well enough?

Also I hate to point this put, but Curry hit like 105 threes in a row, and there's a video of it. So this literally has been done and it was done by a high profile player.

He was also the number 3 pick in the draft who would have went number 1 if the Rockets had that pick. If Atlanta or Washington had any sense he could have as well instead of drafting these guys who look terrible, and not even close to ready for the pro game.

I think this is still one of the more silly takes I've seen beaten to death around here.

You clearly don't understand professional/collegiate sports if you think it's odd or wrong for coaches to not give detailed reports of every player's injury to the media and fans. Nobody does this. Some sports like Hockey don't even tell you what body part is injured. It's just upper body or lower body. Coaches don't owe the fans some injury report because 1. it's really none of their business and 2. it's giving out information that could be used by the other teams. How many times in college basketball did we see injuries where there was just no time table to return? Dozens apon dozens last year. Kevin McCullar ring a bell? How about Christian McCaffrey having calf/Achilles problems, and despite San Fran knowing the severity, they purposely didn't rule him out until right before the game.

I got real bad news for the fans who think Pope is just going to be like "Yes Perry has a bruised knee, here's the Xrays, and will be out exactly 13 days, not anymore or any less, that's my promise to BBN".
Look I realize you THINK you are smarter then the average bear but please I understand its stupid then and now. What does it matter if x doesn't play. IN grand scheme of things it doesn't UNLESS they are a once in a generation talent. So go play in the street or get off moms computer. Your a funny guy/gal.

I really never cared about practice reports. How do you do in games when tough SEC defenders are in your face is what matters.

Look I realize you THINK you are smarter then the average bear but please I understand its stupid then and now. What does it matter if x doesn't play. IN grand scheme of things it doesn't UNLESS they are a once in a generation talent. So go play in the street or get off moms computer. Your a funny guy/gal.

Ok which banned poster has a burner account? lol

I've posted about my cousin on here a few times. He has put up Perry like streaks on multiple occasions. He is in his 3rd week on campus at D3 Loras College in Iowa. I am confident he will be a D1 player eventually. He is a solid 6'4, 180 lbs.

His dad sent me a pic of their shot chart through three weeks. True freshman and tops on team by a solid 10%.

3 pointers:
2116/2378, 89%

Kids can shoot these days...
89% ? 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT