ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry is doing things that "I've never seen [at any] level of basketball." - Mark Pope

Perry is gonna be the overwhelming fan favorite. I feel like if anything we might be downplaying him. Nobody hyped Reed up how he should've been and he came out crazy. It's tough to expect that but i don't expect him to be some super timid freshman. We have other guys to account for, i could see him getting left open early and making teams pay

I've posted about my cousin on here a few times. He has put up Perry like streaks on multiple occasions. He is in his 3rd week on campus at D3 Loras College in Iowa. I am confident he will be a D1 player eventually. He is a solid 6'4, 180 lbs.

His dad sent me a pic of their shot chart through three weeks. True freshman and tops on team by a solid 10%.

3 pointers:
2116/2378, 89%

Kids can shoot these days...

I just hope he is not hyping him up and then when he gets a chance early, he struggles, especially, in front of the Kentucky crowd. People on this board will shank you, if you make a turnover.

Lets just just breath a little.

Same thing with folks and their Steph Curry comparisons for Reed. With expectations like that, he will never be good enough for some, even if he has a stellar career.

I just hope he is not hyping him up and then when he gets a chance early, he struggles, especially, in front of the Kentucky crowd. People on this board will shank you, if you make a turnover.

Lets just just breath a little.

Same thing with folks and their Steph Curry comparisons for Reed. With expectations like that, he will never be good enough for some, even if he has a stellar career.
Agreed, let's give the kid a little room to breathe and develop before putting too much pressure on him. I'm pulling for Perry in a big way but he still has to adjust to the college game and playing against much older and experienced guys. If he shines out of the gate, fantastic.

I've posted about my cousin on here a few times. He has put up Perry like streaks on multiple occasions. He is in his 3rd week on campus at D3 Loras College in Iowa. I am confident he will be a D1 player eventually. He is a solid 6'4, 180 lbs.

His dad sent me a pic of their shot chart through three weeks. True freshman and tops on team by a solid 10%.

3 pointers:
2116/2378, 89%

A 6' player that is Kentucky high school basketball's all-time leading scorer can reasonably be expected to be a not good but great shooter and figures to be a guy that is more than just a spot up shooter. I'm not arguing with you about kids being better shooters these days, just saying that with Kentucky's high school basketball history, anybody that is #1 all-time in scoring can reasonably be expected to be very good on the offensive end of the court. Also, doing that at 6' also rules him being slow out so he likely has the quicks to guard point guards; slow 6 footers aren't big scorers at any level no matter how good they can shoot.

Last edited:
To me the wildcard has always been Colin chandler. He is either going to be good early, or it’s clear he needs a full year and summer to get his strength up and adjust to the college game
Perry is better than Colin. Chandler gets by with his athleticism but he is kinda random and sporadic with his decision making and ball handling. I think he needs to develop some more.

I'm not doubting the kid's ability, but I'm not going to hop abord the hype train either. Let's see how he does in real game performances against guys just as good or better than he is experience wise.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
To me the wildcard has always been Colin chandler. He is either going to be good early, or it’s clear he needs a full year and summer to get his strength up and adjust to the college game

Why couldn’t he just take a little while to develop and have it click by conference play? Why some weird predetermined timeframe like this? Especially when he’s been hurt and is somewhat behind the rest of the team as a result according to the coach?

Praying this isn’t hyperbole. Or maybe I just have PTSD from Todd Tackett, Josh Carrier and Jon Hood.

Yeah I'm not in love with some of this.. saying a 4* recruit is doing things that this 50 year old coach has NEVER seen? How our PGs are just gonna lock everyone down? Not a fan of this.

Hoping he's actually genuine here and not just trying to hype his team up, or worse, he's showing some level of incompetence here.

I'm trying to stay grounded with Pope, because we still don't know what we're going to get from him as a coach. There's a world where he's the next big thing, and his modern offense, recruiting, love for UK, and positivity has us rolling.. and there's also a world where he does more stuff like tearing his button up off to reveal a UK jersey while we're in 7th place in the SEC.. and then theres eveything in between. We just really don't know yet. And that's why some of these comments.. idk. Would prefer to stay away from some of the hyperbole.

Why couldn’t he just take a little while to develop and have it click by conference play? Why some weird predetermined timeframe like this? Especially when he’s been hurt and is somewhat behind the rest of the team as a result according to the coach?
That to and it could happen, but more times than not the player is either ready early or it’s clear they need another year to get ready. I th

Reactions: Fox2monk
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Pitino’s most infamous Pitinoism was saying that Walter McCarty was a more talented version of Mashburn. True, in most senses that was laughable bullshit. Otoh, between those two players, which one has a ring?

Obviously there were many other factors involved. But my point is that while Pitino did get outlandish with the optimism, he never really got outrageous. He said some similar things at UL too and he backed them up with hardware too, a few working girls notwithstanding. If that comparison is the worst we can say about Pope’s latest pronouncement, I don’t think it’s anything to cry over.

Personally I stand behind my very oft repeated claims here that Travis Perry did not compete in the very same high school league as Reed Sheppard at the very same time and, between the two of them, become the one to take home the higher honors by any damn fluke. He will do better here than any of us are expecting. His defense will be what it needs to be.

Could the best comparisons of Perry be 3 players from rival schools, 2 former IU players, Alford and Damon Bailey, and a UT player Lofton?

Perry can shoot.
But can he shoot under pressure?
Can he shoot guarded?
Can he get open?

Last edited:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Pitino’s most infamous Pitinoism was saying that Walter McCarty was a more talented version of Mashburn. True, in most senses that was laughable bullshit. Otoh, between those two players, which one has a ring?

Obviously there were many other factors involved. But my point is that while Pitino did get outlandish with the optimism, he never really got outrageous. He said some similar things at UL too and he backed them up with hardware too, a few working girls notwithstanding. If that comparison is the worst we can say about Pope’s latest pronouncement, I don’t think it’s anything to cry over.

Personally I stand behind my very oft repeated claims here that Travis Perry did not compete in the very same high school league as Reed Sheppard at the very same time and, between the two of them, become the one to take home the higher honors by any damn fluke. He will do better here than any of us are expecting. His defense will be what it needs to be.
I remember, my 2nd/last year of Grad school at UK was Mashburn's JR/last year and McCarty's Prop-48 year. I would go play pickup games in Seaton Center, especially in the summer when I had more time. Got to play a game w/ walkons Jr Braddy and Swoboda. But McCarty spent a lot of time that season in Seaton Center by himself shooting 3's. I'm not sure I had ever seen someone so thin. But also he was HORRIBLE at shooting unguarded 3's. I would say he made on average 1-2 out of 10, and the form was bad too. But man did he improve that part of his game!

3 pointers:
2116/2378, 89%

I'm not kiddin but, if you put me on a ladder 3 feet from the rim and stuck a 5 feet wide funnel in the basket, I couldnt shoot 89%

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999
I'm not kiddin but, if you put me on a ladder 3 feet from the rim and stuck a 5 feet wide funnel in the basket, I couldnt shoot 89%

Yeah, it is pretty insane. It is also legit, I have the actual shot chart by week.

Literally, all the kid does is play basketball.

I take the word of our new coach what he says about Perry, I think he will play alot this year because he is such a great shooter.

Pope sure is talking up a good game. If these guys are as good as he says we shouldn't lose an ooc game.

Some of his quotes sound very cal or pitino like with hyperbole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT