ADVERTISEMENT

*** Transfer portal tracker ***

Not sure how serious the players interest is but Kentucky has shown interest in

Ryder Giles P East Carolina
Patrick Herrera IF Northwestern
Kendal Ewell OF EKU ) may get drafted

Might as well talk about them.

Herrera played 2nd for Northwestern and hit .336 overall and .297 in league play. Not sure what happened to him this year, but he only started 33 games out of 51 total. Seems to live off singles more than anything else as he had 8 doubles, 1 triple, and 2 home runs in 38 total hits. Had just 14 RBIs. Walked 20 times and struck out 34. All this in 113 at bats. Just a freshman in 2022.

Ewell is listed as a 2022 sophomore, but he has been in college since 2020, so he is (as mentioned) draft eligible. He is 6'3 and 210 pounds, so a pretty good sized and projectable OF prospect. He, like Herrera, led his team in hitting in 2022 going 79-219 (.361). He hit in the 2 hole for EKU and had 14 home runs, a triple and 10 doubles to go along with 11 (of 15) stolen bases. He walked 40 times and struck out 79. Did a whole lot of his damage against ASUN pitching, going .451, with 11 home runs and 9 of those doubles. EKU had a pretty abysmal schedule, ranked 248th overall, and EKU played just 4 top 50 RPI games. In those, he went 2 for 14 (.143). That number gets better when you expand it to include RPI top 100 where he went 8-27 (.296).

Giles, a 2022 junior, is a 2 way player, which adds an interesting twinge to things. In 2021, he started all 61 games for ECU at shortstop. He played in the field a chunk this season as well, but hit just .176 and I believe that relegated him mostly to pitching. Still had 29 starts at short this year and 68 at bats. On the mound he had a 3.27 ERA in 15 appearances, 9 starts. He threw 44 innings and opponents hit .254 against him. Struck out 35 while walking just 8. Seems to have a bit of a strange delivery from the right side, as it is kind of a bit of a side arm. In conference he had 8 appearances and 7 starts and his ERA dips a touch to 4.20. While he is a starter, I think that is somewhat in name only. This season he went into the 5th inning just 3 times, all of which came in a 3 game stretch in April. He was a pretty versatile pitcher getting starts in Friday and Saturday.

You could maybe see a guy like Church enter the portal or normal margins of the roster attrition in the coming days, IMHO.

Pretty sure Giles didn't give up a run as a reliever before being pressed into starter's role, and was recruited/coached by Roszel.

And we currently only still have 2 in the portal?

I don't know if we expect anymore, but there are some that are at least intriguing.

We have a competition at catcher. Both Burkes and Rubalcaba could stay, but after the end of the year one has to think that Rubalcaba has to feel like odd man out. McGreary being a catcher also means that it isn't likely they'll rotate with DH. There can be innings there, but I don't really think this staff has shown a true philosophy of catcher rotation.

Church - Two/Three guys transferring in and they all take positions he would play. Gilliam coming in to play 1B, G. Smith likely at 3rd and McGreary looking to come in to DH. Don't know where he stands or how he feels on that, obviously, but the fact that the staff went to the portal and filled what could be his role(s), doesn't seem like a huge vote of confidence for him.

Felker - Middle infield is uncertain, but there are a lot of possibilities there. UK is also still looking to add to it. So, if they get another MIF, where does that leave Felker? Dallas in that same boat. If I'm Felker then I might be a bit concerned that they are recruiting over me, again.

McCarthy & Kim- Already filled in center with the addition of Waldschmidt. McCarthy seems more like a left fielder than a right, so that leaves few spots for him. UK also maybe looking to add a left fielder. So, not exactly giving him, or Kim, a vote of confidence there. If they do bring in another one, do both stay?

Pitching - Not real surprised that we aren't getting much of an exodus here. We used 17 pitchers in 2022, not counting the Church appearance. We currently have 20 (by my count) that are set to be here in 2023. Two of those will be coming off of injury (Stupp and Williams), so they won't be available until late. 3 more of them will be true freshmen, which we don't often rely on a ton. So, 12 returners and 3 transfers so far. 15 guys with absolutely no one having a clear role locked down. All 15 can conceivably compete and win starting roles, or heavy usage. I don't think it is clear at this point who might get what. So, I can understand no one feeling the need to run off for more opportunity. Would be hard pressed to find more than they'll offer here. Byers is about the only one I am surprised is sticking it out. He spent 2021 as a redshirt and then pitched just 4.2 innings in 2022, so it seems like his opportunities are limited.

I don't know if we expect anymore, but there are some that are at least intriguing.

We have a competition at catcher. Both Burkes and Rubalcaba could stay, but after the end of the year one has to think that Rubalcaba has to feel like odd man out. McGreary being a catcher also means that it isn't likely they'll rotate with DH. There can be innings there, but I don't really think this staff has shown a true philosophy of catcher rotation.

Church - Two/Three guys transferring in and they all take positions he would play. Gilliam coming in to play 1B, G. Smith likely at 3rd and McGreary looking to come in to DH.

Felker - Middle infield is uncertain, but there are a lot of possibilities there. UK is also still looking to add to it. So, if they get another MIF, where does that leave Felker? Dallas in that same boat. If I'm Felker then I might be a big concerned that they are recruiting over me, again.

McCarthy & Kim- Already filled in center with the addition of Waldschmidt. McCarthy seems more like a left fielder than a right, so that leaves few spots for him. UK also maybe looking to add a left fielder. So, not exactly giving him, or Kim, a vote of confidence there. If they do bring in another one, do both stay?

Pitching - Not real surprised that we aren't getting much of an exodus here. We used 17 pitchers in 2022, not counting the Church appearance. We currently have 20 (by my count) that are set to be here in 2023. Two of those will be coming off of injury (Stupp and Williams), so they won't be available until late. 3 more of them will be true freshmen, which we don't often rely on a ton. So, 12 returners and 3 transfers so far. 15 guys with absolutely no one having a clear role locked down. All 15 can conceivably compete and win starting roles, or heavy usage. I don't think it is clear at this point who might get what. So, I can understand no one feeling the need to run off for more opportunity. Would be hard pressed to find more than they'll offer here. Byers is about the only one I am surprised is sticking it out. He spent 2021 as a redshirt and then pitched just 4.2 innings in 2022, so it seems like his opportunities are limited.
Smith and Gannon coming off injuries as well, though they'll be ready for fall it seems.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Pretty sure Giles didn't give up a run as a reliever before being pressed into starter's role, and was recruited/coached by Roszel.

Looks to be correct. I'd say that most impressively he went 2.1 against Maryland (top 16 team) without giving up a run or a hit. He came into that game in the top of the 7th with 2 outs and the bases juiced, his team leading 6-3. Got a pop up to end the threat before pitching two scoreless, only allowing one base runner through an HBP.

I believe he also had 2 scoreless starts before finally giving up a run to Witchita State, the game where he went 7 innings and gave up just 3 hits. Not sure if that 7 inning affair wore him out or what, because the next game, against UCF, is where he finally began to get hit and give up runs as he gave up 6 (just 2 earned) in 4.1 innings, and then his outings got short again.

Reactions: Crazycat68
I wish Michael well as he continues his baseball journey. He had been struggling badly in the Northwoods League.

Purely a hypothetical, but since he's mentioned in this thread, Herrera is a guy that's in the same class as Dallas. But he's a second-team All-Big-10 performer who has the same eligibility remaining. At this level, it's an easy choice for a coaching staff. And I have no idea that Herrera will ultimately choose UK, though he does seem to be quite interested.

Church - Two/Three guys transferring in and they all take positions he would play. Gilliam coming in to play 1B, G. Smith likely at 3rd and McGreary looking to come in to DH. Don't know where he stands or how he feels on that, obviously, but the fact that the staff went to the portal and filled what could be his role(s), doesn't seem like a huge vote of confidence for him.

Felker - Middle infield is uncertain, but there are a lot of possibilities there. UK is also still looking to add to it. So, if they get another MIF, where does that leave Felker? Dallas in that same boat. If I'm Felker then I might be a bit concerned that they are recruiting over me, again.

Good stuff keep it coming please.
Call me crazy but feeling like just a couple pieces away from having a solid team.

Not sure what DT thinks but think they will be deeper in SEC (or close to it) talent than they have at any point since 2018 when it’s all said and done.

If Church ends up in Portal and Estep is drafted they will definitely need more infielders from the Portal.

I want to see how the roster looks once everything is said and done with the draft and also the portal. As was mentioned before (or maybe in another thread) the deadline to enter and play next year is coming up this week. I got a text today saying how surprised this person was at the quality of talent still going into the portal as of this week. Like I said a few weeks ago, the impression I've gotten is there's way more talent to be had from the portal this year vs. last year.

In theory, though, I already like the way this roster is being constructed in 2023 compared to 2022 in terms of position players. I think the staff would tell you that they targeted the best players they could get for last year's team. I would say all four guys performed to expectations. They were all veteran players who pretty much were what they were when they got here.

For 2023, and I reserve the right to change this based on who else is added, but I'm thinking McGeary and Gilliam are the only two guys with one year left among the starting nine. Burkes, Pitre, McCoy, Waldschmidt, and Smith are likely starters who have multiple years of eligibility left. I don't know their birthdays but I'm assuming Pitre, McCoy and Waldschmidt aren't draft eligible until 2024. Maybe someone else like Herrera is added and we're talking about four guys who will likely still be here in 2024. Or maybe someone like Applegate, Schramm, etc. forces their way into the lineup. There's still so much left to play out.

But I would certainly feel better about next year's team if they catch some breaks in the draft.

I want to see how the roster looks once everything is said and done with the draft and also the portal. As was mentioned before (or maybe in another thread) the deadline to enter and play next year is coming up this week. I got a text today saying how surprised this person was at the quality of talent still going into the portal as of this week. Like I said a few weeks ago, the impression I've gotten is there's way more talent to be had from the portal this year vs. last year.

In theory, though, I already like the way this roster is being constructed in 2023 compared to 2022 in terms of position players. I think the staff would tell you that they targeted the best players they could get for last year's team. I would say all four guys performed to expectations. They were all veteran players who pretty much were what they were when they got here.

For 2023, and I reserve the right to change this based on who else is added, but I'm thinking McGeary and Gilliam are the only two guys with one year left among the starting nine. Burkes, Pitre, McCoy, Waldschmidt, and Smith are likely starters who have multiple years of eligibility left. I don't know their birthdays but I'm assuming Pitre, McCoy and Waldschmidt aren't draft eligible until 2024. Maybe someone else like Herrera is added and we're talking about four guys who will likely still be here in 2024. Or maybe someone like Applegate, Schramm, etc. forces their way into the lineup. There's still so much left to play out.

But I would certainly feel better about next year's team if they catch some breaks in the draft.
Thank you DT

I think they'd like to add someone else with starting experience, but pitching is also a spot that's going to be affected most by the draft. Most guys who are draft eligible will ultimately want to sign, but the circumstances are different in most cases. I think UK has to operate under the assumption that Bosma, Lee, Stupp, Dana, etc. will not be here, but that doesn't mean it's a lock at this point. Any four of those guys would compete for a weekend spot once again next year.
Any word on Darren Williams?

Lots of really good players going into the portal before the deadline. Looks like UK has at least shown interest in these 4 but definitely not as far along or likely as the previous 3 names.

Connelly Early P Army
Matt Woods OF Bryant
Dario Gomez OF Nevada
Torrin Montgomery IF Missouri (May go professional route)

Montgomery hit .374 in SEC play. Not sure what else he could prove. I would imagine the only benefits in staying in college would be more exposure and/or playing for a school that has a chance at winning titles. So, no real sure why he'd leave Missouri and come to UK, as we wouldn't go a long way at providing him with either of those, at least not in a way that he'd get at Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU, etc.

Also, that would be an interesting mix up. Obviously, you take Montgomery if you can get him, but Montgomery largely played 1B for Missouri last year. UK already brought in a transfer that is predicted to play 1B. We also already have McGreary earmarked to DH. So, you end up having a bit of a log jam there. Can Montgomery play elsewhere, say 3rd? What about Gilliams, can he move positions? Both those two have, to my knowledge, exclusively played 1B the past 2 years. So, they'd be pretty rusty at another spot.

Last edited:
How we feeling today about the odds of someone else from UK going into the portal before the deadline? Seems like there are a few candidates, not many, given the roster breakdown, but things have been quiet.

My understanding is UK has a portal commitment that will be coming in as a walk-on. I'll wait for him to tweet it out (not sure when that will be) but he's an interesting study.
Derek how would you rate, grade wise, UK’s portal pickups so far? Rowland does this for the football guys.

Derek how would you rate, grade wise, UK’s portal pickups so far? Rowland does this for the football guys.
I think they will end up adding 4-5 more transfers which will change the grade.

But with the seven public commitments, I think I'd go with a B. I think they have three sure starters in Ryan Waldschmidt (LF/CF), Grant Smith (2B/3B most likely) and Haydn McGeary (DH). Hunter Gilliam is interesting to me at first base, though I have heard some rumblings in recent days that Plastiak might end up coming back.

I like Logan Martin the most out of the pitchers. I think he'll end up being a good piece to next year's team, whether it be as the Sunday guy or as a top bullpen arm. I think Mason Vinyard made sense as well as a bullpen guy. Seth Chavez will be interesting to watch this fall, especially if he's in the mid-to-upper 90s with his fastball.

I’m really surprised Church hasn’t transferred. We were wondering about him last year so I guess he’s hanging around another year.

As it stands right now, one has to believe that he feels that he has a strong chance of taking 3B in 2023. Right now, UK hasn't picked up anyone from the transfer portal that can play there. So, Church is kind of alone in that position right now. Some others can probably do it such as Felker, Pitre, McCarthy, etc., but he still has to feel good about his chances there.

My issue for him, and some others, is that if the staff is looking to bring in a transfer then they are likely going to give that transfer every opportunity to play over a returner. I don't think many transfers are jumping on board with the 'promise to compete,' for a position. I think they're told that they will be the guy barring that person doing really poorly or something like that. So, if UK does bring in another 3B, for instance, then I feel like a returner at that position probably has to do that much better to actually win that position over a transfer.

As it stands right now, one has to believe that he feels that he has a strong chance of taking 3B in 2023. Right now, UK hasn't picked up anyone from the transfer portal that can play there. So, Church is kind of alone in that position right now. Some others can probably do it such as Felker, Pitre, McCarthy, etc., but he still has to feel good about his chances there.

My issue for him, and some others, is that if the staff is looking to bring in a transfer then they are likely going to give that transfer every opportunity to play over a returner. I don't think many transfers are jumping on board with the 'promise to compete,' for a position. I think they're told that they will be the guy barring that person doing really poorly or something like that. So, if UK does bring in another 3B, for instance, then I feel like a returner at that position probably has to do that much better to actually win that position over a transfer.
Grant Smith is a guy that likely will see time at 3B.

Grant Smith is a guy that likely will see time at 3B.

Ohh that's correct. I should have looked over at my depth chart and I would have seen that. haha. Thanks.

So, that being the case, it does seem a bit odd that Church didn't jump into the portal. We picked up a 1B, DH, and 3B... all of which are the places we'd typically think he'd compete. Good for him for sticking it out and we'll see if he can overcome any of those transfers as a rising junior.

Looks like Jackson Gray OF Western Ky is a possible addition. Interesting player had a couple really really good years but struggled last year

Giles provides some versatility. I'd be a little surprised if he earns a starting spot in the infield just because his bat appears to be so light, but you never know what could happen over the course of a season. There are worse things than having a guy with 560 plate appearances in a good program on your bench. He has a good glove as well so perhaps he could be a late-inning defensive replacement type.

I think somewhat similar to Martin -- though not exactly the same -- Giles can do some different things on the mound. 3.27 ERA this year in 44 innings and has 84 career innings pitched. He seems better suited to the bullpen to me, but you're talking about someone who's completed seven innings before in a game. Could be someone that you bring in and let him go as long as he's effective.

Reactions: parrott
Giles provides some versatility. I'd be a little surprised if he earns a starting spot in the infield just because his bat appears to be so light, but you never know what could happen over the course of a season. There are worse things than having a guy with 560 plate appearances in a good program on your bench. He has a good glove as well so perhaps he could be a late-inning defensive replacement type.

I think somewhat similar to Martin -- though not exactly the same -- Giles can do some different things on the mound. 3.27 ERA this year in 44 innings and has 84 career innings pitched. He seems better suited to the bullpen to me, but you're talking about someone who's completed seven innings before in a game. Could be someone that you bring in and let him go as long as he's effective.
Derek any clue what the promising news is that was mentioned in another thread?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT