ADVERTISEMENT

trade our roster for Dukes?

Nm

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Duke has 3 elite players who essentially play the same position and 1 good, but not great point guard. But that's pretty much it. A center who has shown us nothing in 2 years and a bunch of mediocre at best bench players. Big drop off after 3 players.

Kentucky, on the other hand, can go 8-10 deep with little to no drop off. We have 4 big men who can put up 20+ on any given night, 3 point guards who could start for almost any team in the country, and a couple of small forwards/shooting guards in Johnson and Herro who can get a bucket any time they want to.

Probably the best answer.

I can only think of a couple of Duke players that I wish we had gotten Luke Kennard and Marvin Bagley of cash.

I would have liked to have gotten Ingram. Wouldn’t have fixed all of our problems in 2016, but the trio of Ulis/Murray/Ingram would have been a tough out.

Reactions: docholiday51
More like more than 3 players. There’s Zion, Barrett, Reddish and who else???

Tyus Jones. Hes a 5 star, number 1 or 2 pg in the class and a top 10 recruit. Hes no John Wall but hes no Jarred Polson either. Im not so blue tineted in my glasses that I'll acknowledge that hes the 4th head of their offensive weapon.

Honest question. Is Barrett the best player in college basketball? I haven’t seen much of him. Is he heads and above all of our guys? I thought Johnson could stay with him and Washington is much improved.

I'm of the school that Williamson is better. He's the mismatch generator no matter how smooth Barrett is. Either way those two guys are damn good but we have more high quality talents with more diversified skill sets at every position.

If Washington can guard Williamson then Katy bar the door because Johnson is all day with Barrett, if not then we are going to have to out up some points unless slimmed down Travis is a lot quicker now because I'm not seeing the matchup otherwise not with Barrett to also occupy.

This is so easy it’s laughable. As a whole I wouldn’t trade the roster. I’d trade individual players like Reid or PJ for Zion but I wouldn’t trade both for him. RJ is the only other player I’d trade for. Cam Reddish has the most future potential but his motor bugs me to no end and his lack of go at you.

Reactions: Aike
Yeah Jones is a baller for sure

Tyus Jones. Hes a 5 star, number 1 or 2 pg in the class and a top 10 recruit. Hes no John Wall but hes no Jarred Polson either. Im not so blue tineted in my glasses that I'll acknowledge that hes the 4th head of their offensive weapon.

@BlueDevilWildcat so you would rather have our team than Dukes? Which way are you coming with this?
If I were a UK fan, I would take Duke's roster over UK's roster, assuming Cal was the coach for UK. Compared to K I think he's better at player development and getting guys to buy-in to their roles. If you give Cal 3 of the top 5 recruits, I don't care what the rest of the roster looks like, he's going to make that work.

As a Duke fan, I'd take our roster, simply because K won't play more than 7 guys anyway, so depth is irrelevant.

If I were a UK fan, I would take Duke's roster over UK's roster, assuming Cal was the coach for UK. Compared to K I think he's better at player development and getting guys to buy-in to their roles. If you give Cal 3 of the top 5 recruits, I don't care what the rest of the roster looks like, he's going to make that work.

As a Duke fan, I'd take our roster, simply because K won't play more than 7 guys anyway, so depth is irrelevant.
Well, Duke has more than just a depth problem though. They have a bad problem at the 5 spot. You can put 4 really good dudes out there on the floor to start the game, but that 5th spot is a problem.

Also, Duke has a roster that has no dependable shooters. I can't remember the last time that happened. How are they going to stretch the floor to allow RJ and Zion to operate? Defenses are just going to pack the paint and dare duke's guards and wings to shoot. Good luck with that.

K develops players better??? Are you nuts? Who's players are sticking in the pros and who's aren't? Who had to go zone because his players couldn't figure out how to play man?

Cal has been there and done that with regards to Frosh dominated teams, it's a struggle that might end up working out at the end of the year, but that's a fine line to walk.

UK's roster is far more balanced than Duke's and it has veterans. Duke might have 3 higher rated freshmen, but UK's returning players and depth more than offset that. I'll take Washington and Reid Travis over freshmen every day.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Probably not, but they have three guys who will very possibly be better than anyone on our roster so we’ll see.

We will defense the hell out of puke. Second half the 3 superstars for puke will be worn out. We will just be hitting their stride. Johnson will be all over Barrett. PJ will slow Zion and our young guards will frustrate the hell out of their guards. UK will win by at least 12 points.

What do they say, guards win championships, Duke has 1 point guard, and he is a freshman, I hope for your sake he is good enough and healthy enough to play 40 minutes a game.

This is so easy it’s laughable. As a whole I wouldn’t trade the roster. I’d trade individual players like Reid or PJ for Zion but I wouldn’t trade both for him. RJ is the only other player I’d trade for. Cam Reddish has the most future potential but his motor bugs me to no end and his lack of go at you.

I wouldn't trade RJ, for Keldon Johnson.. Would have a hard time giving up Reid Travis as well, dude is gonna be unstoppable on the glass.. Teams is gonna have to stack the box on Kentucky, to be able and rebound against them, so that leaves all kinds of deadly shooters open from Kentucky.. If you try to play Kentucky man to man or zone, you are gonna get destroyed on the glass and open three's, trying to play help defense.. How do you guard that??

What do they say, guards win championships, Duke has 1 point guard, and he is a freshman, I hope for your sake he is good enough and healthy enough to play 40 minutes a game.

Not only that, Zion is Duke's best shooter, none of there big time players even shot in the mid 30% range in big AAU events.. Point being, they are gonna rely mostly on driving the ball and trying to catch Reddish, Zion and Barrett on size mis- matches, on switches and screens.. Not really sure how there defense will fare out, Barrett has always been a matador defender at best, Reddish is soft as toilet paper on defense, can see Zion being an awesome defender if he can learn to gaurd a high pick N roll, which teams will torture him with all season..

I used to get irritated with the Duke threads here, now I’m finding them somewhat amusing.

What’s amusing is a lot of these threads seem to be fans trying to convince themselves that Duke isn’t going to be any good. Well, I’m here to tell you, Duke is going to be the team that we’ll have to beat in the tournament if we’re going to win a 9th title this season.

I used to get irritated with the Duke threads here, now I’m finding them somewhat amusing.

What’s amusing is a lot of these threads seem to be fans trying to convince themselves that Duke isn’t going to be any good. Well, I’m here to tell you, Duke is going to be the team that we’ll have to beat in the tournament if we’re going to win a 9th title this season.

I tend to agree. I like our team better. I think our team is/will be better. I wouldn’t trade our team however, thinking Duke doesnt have a chance to make a deep run is naive.

Nope.
They have three great freshmen, but they're freshmen. We've seen that movie before (2014).

UK has veterans, are very deep down low and at the guard positions and UK will be a great defensive team, Duke might have to go zone again because they're going to get beat off the bounce constantly.

Zion is great, but he's not going to be able to fly through the air and dunk on good defenses, he's going to have to create and use his teammates, can he do that? Can he D up?

It'll be interesting, but the makeup of Duke's team is not good.
I pity the program that shows us a zone this year. God help them.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
No way I would trade for Duke's roster at this point. You know Duke will be a good team. But, I suspect that Duke will have issues because of youth and lack of balance - and both issues will be worsened by the other. It seems like Duke has 3 freshmen that all think they're SFs (I think 2 are, and one looks like a really good young college PF). Of course, players can fancy themselves as whatever position they want; and five players who all think they're SFs could be the best team. But whatever label you put on a player, we all know there are certain things/jobs that have to be done well on both ends of the floor to win against good teams. Those things/jobs are the basis for why the 5 traditional positions developed. Let's see if the 3 "SFs" can or will do all those things. If so, they may quickly prove my suspicions wrong.

Maybe depth and chemistry issues will be an issue for Duke too, but I don't have enough information about that to hazard a decent guess.

It's an impossible discussion to have.

If the rosters were switched, we still wouldn't trade. We'd be thumping our chest about the best three players in the country and a top-10 PG and an experienced big and role players off the bench.

18 months ago we were going to land Barrett and Zion and dominate college basketball. Now Zion is fat and lazy and unproven and can only Dunk.

Thankfully, we get to settle it on the court.

Top to bottom I like our team a lot more. Some of the matchups worry me a little bit though. I think keldon will do great on Barret, and I'm guessing pj guards Zion, which should be pretty even. Idk who we have with the size and athleticism to guard reddish though. I still say we win by 6-10.

No thanks. I like the experience and depth of UK's roster over what Duke has. Jemarl Baker is the 10th man on the UK roster and I think he could have an impact if he stays healthy this year.

Not this year. I wouldn't ever do it, to be honest, because I want guys who want to be at UK. Having said that, assuming they'd all play for the Cats, I would likely have traded a few players last year. I wouldn't take Grayson Allen for all the tea in China. But I would have taken Bagley and Carter in a New York minute.

As for this year, if it's a roster for roster exchange, I'll say no. They may have 2 of the top players, maybe 3, from both rosters combined, but I like our balance, our leadership, our experience, and our depth over theirs all day long. I also like our grit and toughness.

That’s a big nay.

This appears to be one of the best shooting teams we’ve had under Cal and also the potential to be a monster defensive and great rebounding team.

Duke is going to struggle on defense. I think their shooting will be better than anticipated. They always shoot it well. Coach K or someone on that staff is just a wizard at improving their players shots. Zion looked improved during the summer games they played after having just been there for a few months and scouts that have seen them recently are saying Barrett has improved as well.

But none of those guys are known as great defenders and that’s never been dukes strength under K.

ADVERTISEMENT