ADVERTISEMENT

Towles

Oct 2, 2008
Noticed on another site, of the multiple schools he has listed, UK is Low interest. Anyone have any reasoning for this?

Originally posted by claydwildcat:
Noticed on another site, of the multiple schools he has listed, UK is Low interest. Anyone have any reasoning for this?

Perhaps he is upset that UK has focused their efforts on Zeke Pike, and this is one way that he can publicly express his displeasure?

Why go through the trouble of ranking a school as "low" when you have ~20 listed in the first place? Do I really believe that he really, truly, whole-heartedly considers Cincinnati to be a medium interest school over Kentucky? No, especially not when he has schools on the west coast listed as medium interest, so we know that the short drive to Lexington vs. his proximity to Cincinnati is not a factor.

In my opinion, he is just playing recruiting games that are common for players in his situation (no current major offers, feels snubbed, and possibly overshadowed by Pike). You can tell that the Towles camp was already gaming it when they circulated his physical size as 6'5" 232. There is no way he was that big when they listed that size, which was going into his junior season. FYI, that's even bigger than Pike, and Pike looks massive on the field. So, that definitely appears to be a game of one-upping, and unfortunately for Towles, Papaw Bunning has no strings to pull in this matter.

199979.jpg

These pictures are about 1-year and 6 months (approximately when his current measurables were released) old, respectively. Does he look like he weighs 232? He could not even max bench press this supposed body weight, and that is not good for a football player who actually works out.

Rivals still lists UK as medium interest, though: Patrick Towles profile ...it basically means nothing until a player commits somewhere, so I would not get my feelings hurt just yet considering the circumstances.

Often these websites are just plain wrong. About every other prospect is listed as not being offered a scholly, when everyone knows that they have been offered and are making official visits. It's hard to keep up with the "info of the moment" for all the thousands of prospects.

I know for a fact his family are huge UK basketball fans. Whether or not that transfers into being UK football fans I don't know.

Pictures are not all introduced at the same time on these sites and these sites are often not very up to date sometimes with offers or much of anything. As for comparing Towles's weight with the pictures I'm not sure as I am not an expert at looking at upper torso shots and guessing weight. I do know that in June of this year he was at 237 but did trim that back. I do know that he has good relationships with coaches at KY, Louisville, Notre Dame and Cincinnati. All were in Bowling Green. He is going to be attending the Army All-American Combine in January so i guess we will see how strong he is. I believe each player benches 185 lbs as many times as possible.
This post was edited on 12/23 1:00 PM by gsayers
This post was edited on 12/23 1:08 PM by gsayers

Originally posted by gsayers:
Pictures are not all introduced at the same time on these sites and these sites are often not very up to date sometimes with offers or much of anything. As for comparing Towles's weight with the pictures I'm not sure as I am not an expert at looking at upper torso shots and guessing weight. I do know that in June of this year he was at 237 but did trim that back. I do know that he has good relationships with coaches at KY, Louisville, Notre Dame and Cincinnati. All were in Bowling Green. He is going to be attending the Army All-American Combine in January so i guess we will see how strong he is. I believe each player benches 185 lbs as many times as possible.
This post was edited on 12/23 1:00 PM by gsayers
This post was edited on 12/23 1:08 PM by gsayers

I figured that it would not be long before one of you, Patveep, Birdie King, or the rest of the Highlands crew/Towles-hype machine showed up.

237??? Are they weighing these kids with the full football uniform on with helmet, pads, and all? The pictures were taken very close to when they were released by Rivals. If you cannot tell much from those torso pics, then Towles must have some fantastic tree-trunk legs that would make a young Arnold Schwarzenegger on PEDs blush. Either that, or he has developed one big fat ass over the course of the year. The latter would not surprise me if he is hanging out with J-Lo.

I have no beef with the kid, but I just do not believe that he is as physically imposing as we are led to believe. Once he competes in the combine, then we will have a much greater idea about him. But until then, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt because he is obviously not held in the same esteem as one of his northern Kentucky competitors (Pike).

I have found that alot of the Highland Qb's the last few years are overrated. Bardo and Guidulgi was both very average and better players at other positions. Neither one recieved any offers.
Towles may be different but that why alot of people have questions!

After that bowl game we had to suffer through the coaching staff better be looking at every quaterback possible.

Bardo got hurt during the St. Xavier (OH) game his senior year. The year after Guidugli graduated. Tony Guidugli only started 1 year himself. Even at that Bardo was offered by Air Force but instead chose play at Dayton. Who knows if he was able to throw the ball his senior year. He did play later in the year at running back. Bardo's replacement was sophomore Patrick Towles who won a state championship and high national rankings. This year Towles had 5 touchdowns in the first half of the state championship game.

What about Highlands' quarterbacks Jared Lorenzen (KY) or Gino Guidugli (UC) who both threw for over 10,000 yards in college? Both in the top 50 career yards thrown in college football history.

Do you know who Towles QB coach is at Highlands? Jared Lorenzen.

His first offer was from Louisville.

Not trying to be a jerk but, which school has a better reputation with Quarterbacks?

My other question; Do you think UK is waiting to see what interest Zeke Pike has?

Originally posted by letmebe:
I have found that alot of the Highland Qb's the last few years are overrated. Bardo and Guidulgi was both very average and better players at other positions. Neither one recieved any offers.
Towles may be different but that why alot of people have questions!
Your expectation is that every h QB should be a Div I star? JLo & Gino are plenty of pedigree under Mueller. As already pointed out, Bardo got injured. Net, no basis to degrade Towles like this. Is he a Div I star/talent? He looks the part to me, but who knows. Regardless, you comment here is irrelvant to the issue.

It looks like Pike already has a boatload of major schools recruiting him with several offers from Alabama, Auburn, Boston College, Cincinnati, Clemson, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisville, UNC, Ok State, Purdue, Tennessee, and Texas A and M. Damnit boy!
eek.gif

For the post much ,know little crowd. First, I am a Beechwood fan who goes to Highlands games when Beechwood plays cupcakes. Secondly anyone who thinks Gino Guidugle was over rated does not know football. He would have attended UK had not J Lo been blocking his path. He tried out and almost stuck with several NFL teams and played well in Arena football. He had a great career at UC and it took a couple of very questionable calls at the goal line to keep UC from beating Ohio State on his watch.
Anyone who thinks Gino was better at another position is probably confusing him with his brother who has started at tight end for UC for the past 2 years.
Bardo was a good HS quarterback, but no one ever said he would play that position at a major college. Unlike UK, Highlands likes their QB's to run the 40 under a minute. Bardo was the fastest back on the team I am told
by the Highlands crowd.
I join those who don't believe Towles is 6' 5" and 245. On the other hand, showing pictures of a HS kid that are 18 months old to prove a players size is just plain dumb. Has anyone noticed that 16 year olds tend to grow rapidly at that age?
As to Pike, he is excellent and much of his value is in the fact that if he does not make it at Quarterback, he can play other positions.
I rateTowles and Pike about even, but Pike needs to get his temper under control.
There is a lot of football to be played before a final evaluation of Towles is made. But 5 touchdowns running isn't too bad. I suspect Highlands has been beating up on some of the posters favorite teams.

It's Tony, not Gino. Everyone knows Gino could play. Nothing disrespectful about Towles but their are always going to be question marks concerning the latest Highlands qb's because of how the last two were hyped vs what kinf of talent they really were.

Originally posted by Patveep:
I join those who don't believe Towles is 6' 5" and 245. On the other hand, showing pictures of a HS kid that are 18 months old to prove a players size is just plain dumb. Has anyone noticed that 16 year olds tend to grow rapidly at that age?

The point is not necessarily in the picture, it is in the height/weight listing. His listing has not changed since the pictures were taken. He has probably grown since the pictures were taken, but his initial height/weight were misleading and overestimated to give him a chance to grow into them, but he has never been bigger than Pike or the size of a NFL QB (at age 16) like it is suggested.

Patveep, any other good Div 1 players (besides Pike & Towles) coming on in Northern Ky? Since you've always said what's on your mind, what are your thoughts on the Minter hiring? Always enjoy your thoughts.

Iz I don't know anything about Minter that has not been mentioned.
As to recruits from N. Ky...Ryle has travis Eliot who will be a d-1 player. He is about 6' and 210 as a junior. Has very good numbers and has played against good players. I see him as a John Connor type as he is not fast enough for a major-major team at running back. He is very hard nosed and a good blocker and can catch the ball out of the backfield.
I would like to see UK offer preferred walk on status to Alex Connelly of CCH. He is a 6' 5" wide receiver who was last year's state high jump champion. He has excellent hands. With a red shirt year he could possibly contribute. I would certainly take a chance on him in view of the number of short wide receivers we have recruited in the past several years.
Holmes has an excellent wide receiver, but he needs someone to throw the ball to him.
Thanks for the kind words. I am looking forward to a great HS season next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT