ADVERTISEMENT

Towles works out for Bengals, giving TE a look

Bengals gonna be a tough team to even make practice squad. Towles intriguing measurable clocked at 4.5s in 40. Not a bad idea could make sombodies practice squad.

Weren't a lot of people on here saying he should switch to Tight End while he was still here?

Yes, but he had huge potential as a QB, arm, height, weight, AND running ability. AND we didn't have the competition we have now at the position. And of course he wanted to be the leader of the team, not a position player.

Most other QBs trying out for the NFL have similar talent AND have managed to harness it.

He got a lot of criticism here but I am sure he was trying to be his best, and I wish him all the success in the world.

Yes, but he had huge potential as a QB, arm, height, weight, AND running ability. AND we didn't have the competition we have now at the position. And of course he wanted to be the leader of the team, not a position player.

Most other QBs trying out for the NFL have similar talent AND have managed to harness it.

He got a lot of criticism here but I am sure he was trying to be his best, and I wish him all the success in the world.
YES

Think he could be a TE project on someone's practice squad, learn to play the position and maybe make a 53 man roster next year.

Cowboys essentially did the same with Rico Gathers this year. Paid him above average PS salary, hoping his athleticism and size can be harnessed.

Hope it works out well for Patrick. Doubt he can make it as a QB, but has intriguing athleticism for a guy his size.

Reactions: cat888 and JDHoss
With his measurables, if he can learn to run decent routes and catch the football he'll find a home somewhere as a TE/H-Back/Emergency QB.

Reactions: cat888
Good, I hope he can catch on somewhere and earn a roster spot. I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

Reactions: cat888
Guys who play QB are very prideful and don't like giving it up even though they have huge upsides at other positions. Tim Tebow is the poster child for that.

Towles can play some pro ball eventually as TE or H back, no doubt. He is a remarkable jumbo athlete. I like the chances of him landing a super sized PS contract and moving up after a year or two.

Guys who play QB are very prideful and don't like giving it up even though they have huge upsides at other positions. Tim Tebow is the poster child for that.

And they should be very prideful, most important and hardest position to play on the field IMO, In addition to the one getting the most blame if you lose a game., JMO.

Towles can play some pro ball eventually as TE or H back, no doubt. He is a remarkable jumbo athlete. I like the chances of him landing a super sized PS contract and moving up after a year or two.

Those forty times have to be laser timed, the other five QBs mentioned averaged slightly less than 225# but their times averaged more than a 4.90. Supposedly the best QB in the world today has a 5.2 forty time.

Weren't a lot of people on here saying he should switch to Tight End while he was still here?
When he was redshirting and the fans gave up on him, yes.

But it's not like we should have moved him. What good would he do us at TE if no one could throw him the ball? 14 & 15 he was our best quarterback. And last year he would have sat behind CJ, Hart, and probably Darryl Long. He's getting a look because they haven't seen him fail. Towles may be a good tight end compared to every other quarter back in college, but there's a hundred other better TEs available.

If he lands on a practice squad roster, I believe any team can claim him and give him shot during the season. Hope he gets that opportunity, if he does not make an active roster.

Former UK QB Derrick Ramsey played for both the Raiders and Patriots as a TE back in the late 70s / early 80s, so it can be done.

PT didn't achieve the success at UK that I hoped he would, but I wish him well and hope he can make an NFL roster.

There were more proclaiming he would be one of the top five QBs and be drafted no later than the third round...even after the transferred.
This is not a bash of him... but we have a lot of posters that just leave you SMH.

There were more proclaiming he would be one of the top five QBs and be drafted no later than the third round...even after the transferred.
This is not a bash of him... but we have a lot of posters that just leave you SMH.

And there were some predicting that he would get a shot (not drafted) because of his size and athleticism--------whether it be at QB or another position.

I don't think it's ridiculous to think that Towles might make a good TE in the pros.

It's somewhat fitting to hear the possibility mentioned because I distinctly remember a local, Sunday morning talk show host (arrogant most of the time), quickly cutting a caller off and hanging up on him, when he mentioned that Towles' best future might be at TE, rather than quarterback. The host is from Northern Kentucky and was very rude to the caller .... who is beginning to look like he was 100% correct in his opinion.

Best of luck to Patrick in his dream of playing professional football. I hope he makes it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT