ADVERTISEMENT

Toughest players ever at UK

Toughest? Without a doubt!!!
Thread shoulda stopped right thar
Really liked his game. You knew that he was tough as even Bobby Knight said so himself. Had to be hard for him to make a complimentary statement about a UK player.

Reactions: Blueaz
There have been many tough tough players at UK. Hard to forget Larry Stamper, James Lee and the list goes on and on. But the most physical player imo ever to play at UK was Alan Feldhaus. Coach Rupp called him "The Horse". He would do absolutely ANYTHING on the court to an opposing player. Like I said many really physical players over the years but my vote would be "The Horse"

There have been many tough tough players at UK. Hard to forget Larry Stamper, James Lee and the list goes on and on. But the most physical player imo ever to play at UK was Alan Feldhaus. Coach Rupp called him "The Horse". He would do absolutely ANYTHING on the court to an opposing player. Like I said many really physical players over the years but my vote would be "The Horse"
Never saw him play but that's exactly what I heard from older fans.

Stamper is my pick for toughest player. Been watching since 66 and he was the most physical player I can remember during this 50 year era. Built like a tree trunk. Blocking out? None better! You weren't going through him or over him. Took no nonsense from anyone. All knees and elbows. Old school game and the ultimate hit man lol

Go back and watch a tape of James Lee running the floor and dramatically dunking over the top of the huge Soviet center in the Olympic championship game. Probably still available online. Everyone can certainly have own lists, but I don't think anyone can say that another player besides Lee was "clearly" tougher. Lee was the toughest, most physical UK basketball player I ever saw. I say this while respecting others like Hurt, Evans, Hayes, Stamper, Bennett, Mashburn, all of whom I watched many times. In any case, it's an interesting discussion, and a lot of fun to recall so many great UK basketball players.
That was in an exhibition game against the Russians in Rupp not in the Olympics.

OK, since we've been talking about greatest players, most overlooked, greatest plays, etc. , what about the toughest players ever at UK. A few that come to mind are:

Mike Pratt
Larry Stamper
DeMarcus Cousins
Winston Bennett
Cliff Hagan
Jamal McGloire
DeAndre Liggins

Just to name a few.

Davis
MKG
Bennett
Cousins
Hayes

T
Anyone know where to find this highlight? Always heard about this particular one. Would love to see it. TIA.
There were actually two exhibition games against the Russians that year. The first was a pre-season game where UK won by 30+ points, and that was the game where Lee dunked over a much taller Russian player. The last game was played after the season was over and it was a team representing the USA which had Robey, Givens, Phillips and Lee along with Larry Bird and some more local collegiate players. The USA won that game handily as well and as I recall, it was played with the tri-colored ABA basketball. Would love to see some film of that game.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
OK, since we've been talking about greatest players, most overlooked, greatest plays, etc. , what about the toughest players ever at UK. A few that come to mind are:

Mike Pratt
Larry Stamper
DeMarcus Cousins
Winston Bennett
Cliff Hagan
Jamal McGloire
DeAndre Liggins

Just to name a few.

James Lee was a man among boys!

That was in an exhibition game against the Russians in Rupp not in the Olympics.
Yep, I was there in Memorial watching it. At the time it was the most jaw dropping play we had seen. He basically ignored two 7-2 guys in his way and dunked hard like James always did.

1. Magloire/Lee/Bennett (in my lifetime) .....all tie for 1st in this dept.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT