ADVERTISEMENT

Touchdown Terry rates as top 4 QB in SEC

Gatewood has a stronger arm than him!
No doubt and Allen probably does too. Even if Wilson was otherwise a good NFL prospect in terms of overall ability (which he's not) his arm strength would be an issue. It's OK but nothing special.

I feel sorry for him to be honest. It comes with the territory - the quarterback seemingly always gets too much credit or too much blame. He’s a new dad, and has already said he’s not trying to get another year next year, which tells me he’s not in love with the sport. Our offense is really bad. 145 yards today. How many FCS teams have come into Commonwealth over the years - I bet not many of them were held below 150 yards. And it’s not a 1 time fluke thing. We had 157 two games ago. And theres some blame to go around. The play calling leaves something to be desired, the philosophy/system of offense is worse than that, and our WR core is mediocre at best. Still. Terry is a pretty average quarterback. He’s pretty inaccurate, and also tentative. His coaches clearly don’t trust him to make decisions or to try anything other than basic throws. His legs should be a real strength - but even before the knee he was a track guy in a football uniform - great straightaway speed but no ability to make someone miss and he goes down if you get a finger on him. Doering said today that our offense is no better than it was last year, it’s as one dimensional as when Bowden was the QB. And the guy calling the game (was that Stinchcomb?) said since his knee injury TW simply isn’t an effective runner. I don’t know how much of it is play calling or system or chemistry or other things, but just based on what we see, he’s simply a really limited player. The guy before him was also pretty physically limited, but he had an intangible quality that lead us to wins, his results and impact on the team overachieved what he should have done. I know TW has a gaudy w/l record ( by UK standard), but in contrast to Johnson, the team often wins despite him, and not because of him.
UK will never see talent at the QB position as long as Stoops is the coach here in my opinion. Is he recruiting any 4 star QBs selling them on his system that performs like today? Terry Wilson should not be a starter on any SEC team. Things like that damages recruiting so it’s bigger than one game...makes the program leadership look like a bunch of dipshits and, yes, Mitch is Roger Goodell Lite so it’ll be a while until there will be change. Maybe another generation of this leadership.

Do you ever post anything that isn't negative? Just a few snippets from your post history. Don't bother replying, you're going on ignore not worth wasting my time reading this drivel.

UK is last in the SEC in passing. If Terry was the answer the staff would be pushing for him to pass more

I really liked what I saw out of Gatewood yesterday. TW didn’t win us that game, the defense did.

That would have required throwing the football further than 5 yards downfield. Not sure we can do that

Not a program changing win merely makes up for Ole Miss loss.

Well, we only run about 5 plays so not too hard for defense to figure it out

This, aside from a screen pass when was the last time Terry held the ball less than 5 seconds. Takes him forever to get rid of the ball.

This is exactly why UK will never be more than a middle of the pack SEC team under Stoops. He doesn’t have the leadership, discipline...

At this point we’re more likely to win 2 games than 5 games.

Seems to me the guy gave a bitter dose of truth that many didnt want to swallow . Having said that its not all Terry's fault what so ever . The offensive approach is set up to make him fail IMO. He isn't a guy you can put in 3rd and 9's very often ... 3rd and short is where you want to be . But for some reason run oriented Stoops seems determined to be balanced this season when ground n pound is what we are built for . and maybe the O line is a little overrated . But with the schedule we have you cant afford to take a game off against an inferior opponent , and thats what our team did . They mailed in a game in a Covid shortened season and got embarrassed or least should be . The level of physicality Mizzo brought was totally unchallenged . Just entirely disappointing , I've never been on the Stoops bandwagon and never will be .
He caught lightning in a bottle with Bowden , but without a bunch of cupcakes he cant move the needle in the SEC .

Seems to me the guy gave a bitter dose of truth that many didnt want to swallow . Having said that its not all Terry's fault what so ever . The offensive approach is set up to make him fail IMO. He isn't a guy you can put in 3rd and 9's very often ... 3rd and short is where you want to be . But for some reason run oriented Stoops seems determined to be balanced this season when ground n pound is what we are built for . and maybe the O line is a little overrated . But with the schedule we have you cant afford to take a game off against an inferior opponent , and thats what our team did . They mailed in a game in a Covid shortened season and got embarrassed or least should be . The level of physicality Mizzo brought was totally unchallenged . Just entirely disappointing , I've never been on the Stoops bandwagon and never will be .
He caught lightning in a bottle with Bowden , but without a bunch of cupcakes he cant move the needle in the SEC .

I know I’ve been negative, with that said I really like Terry as a person and as a leader. I just think it’s obvious Terry is a below average SEC QB and without any superstars this team needs to look at other options at QB. Why not give Gatewood or (even Allen) more than 1 series. Hard to developrhythm when you’re cold off the bench for 1 series.

UK will never see talent at the QB position as long as Stoops is the coach here in my opinion. Is he recruiting any 4 star QBs selling them on his system that performs like today? Terry Wilson should not be a starter on any SEC team. Things like that damages recruiting so it’s bigger than one game...makes the program leadership look like a bunch of dipshits and, yes, Mitch is Roger Goodell Lite so it’ll be a while until there will be change. Maybe another generation of this leadership.
Gatewood is a 5* and Allen is a 4* so this is actually the best they have in at QB in years on paper. Wimsatt is also a junior and a 5*. Now they certainly need to turn the tide quickly to keep all these guys on board and I think they will!

I used to be of the belief that the coaches dont like to throw the ball either, but the reality is Terry is horribly inaccurate and I wouldnt let him throw the ball either unless I had to. Thats the problem though, teams know we arent going to throw and are now packing the box on defense and even the safeties are pulled up to support the run. If Terry isnt going to commit to running the ball hard when he has to run, then he offers nothing. At this point its a throw away season, and if Gatewood isnt the guy then get Allen in and let him take his licks this year and be ready to lead us next year. Staying committed to the seniors in a year like this is just bad future planning. It sucks because the OL is most likely taking a step backward next year with 3 senior starters but what is there to lose?

Reactions: Wildcatfan2381
Do you ever post anything that isn't negative? Just a few snippets from your post history. Don't bother replying, you're going on ignore not worth wasting my time reading this drivel.

UK is last in the SEC in passing. If Terry was the answer the staff would be pushing for him to pass more

I really liked what I saw out of Gatewood yesterday. TW didn’t win us that game, the defense did.

That would have required throwing the football further than 5 yards downfield. Not sure we can do that

Not a program changing win merely makes up for Ole Miss loss.

Well, we only run about 5 plays so not too hard for defense to figure it out

This, aside from a screen pass when was the last time Terry held the ball less than 5 seconds. Takes him forever to get rid of the ball.

This is exactly why UK will never be more than a middle of the pack SEC team under Stoops. He doesn’t have the leadership, discipline...

At this point we’re more likely to win 2 games than 5 games.

Your post didn’t age well, while my posts were negative they were also true! I’m just a frustrated fan trying to figure out what the coaching staff is thinking.

I do however apologize for not being a sunshine pumper and bragging how Terry is a top 4 QB in the SEC like the other posters in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT