ADVERTISEMENT

Touchdown Terry rates as top 4 QB in SEC

He does what is asked of him. And with how our team is built I’m good with that and think he is very efficient.

However, when you get behind and need to throw your way back into a game I do not believe he is a top 4 guy in the SEC.

It’s similar to the knock on Dak. (Dunk and dunk Dak) was winning when he had an all star offensive line and Dallas was leaning on the running game under Garrett. But then he’d meet Green Bay in the playoffs and you have to play perfect bc once GB went up a score or 2 and Dak was forced to win it w his arm...he couldn’t and would eventually make a back breaking mistake or just not hit his guys consistently.

w that said....he’s our guy and unless he has a major slideand we drop a couple games back to back...it’s his team

Stats are a little misleading when you don’t throw the ball downfield.

Easy to have a good completion rate/turnover margin when the majority of the passes are within 5 yards.

Do you ever post anything that isn't negative? Just a few snippets from your post history. Don't bother replying, you're going on ignore not worth wasting my time reading this drivel.

UK is last in the SEC in passing. If Terry was the answer the staff would be pushing for him to pass more

I really liked what I saw out of Gatewood yesterday. TW didn’t win us that game, the defense did.

That would have required throwing the football further than 5 yards downfield. Not sure we can do that

Not a program changing win merely makes up for Ole Miss loss.

Well, we only run about 5 plays so not too hard for defense to figure it out

This, aside from a screen pass when was the last time Terry held the ball less than 5 seconds. Takes him forever to get rid of the ball.

This is exactly why UK will never be more than a middle of the pack SEC team under Stoops. He doesn’t have the leadership, discipline...

At this point we’re more likely to win 2 games than 5 games.

Easy to have a good completion rate/turnover margin when the majority of the passes are within 5 yards.

That score isn’t based on stats.

It’s the result of Pro Football Focus individually scoring Wilson’s performance on every snap he’s taken. And easy throws don’t get scored highly because PFF considers them to be throws a QB is expected to make.

If Wilson completes an RB screen pass that goes 80 yards for a touchdown, he’ll receive a score of zero for that play. If Wilson completed another RB screen that only gains one yard, he’d again receive a score of zero .

Last edited:
Terry Wilson is 2nd last among SEC starting QB in passing yards and touchdowns. I like Terry, nothing personal, and I realize that most here are satisfied with what he does. I just think that this team could be much, much better with a better QB. Possibly 4-0. All the other pieces are really good, but the passing game flat out sucks.

How dare the PFF to discount all the rocking chair hair brain coaches that know how to coach better than experienced dedicated coaches with years & years of coaching. Just look how long it took for the first negative post. Just normality around here, that's what's so fun here all can express themselves.

Cefiro, If your completing your passes, not getting sacked, that's good enough for me, if their 5 yard passes. Some of the receivers will break them for a long run.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Terry Wilson is 2nd last among SEC starting QB in passing yards and touchdowns. I like Terry, nothing personal, and I realize that most here are satisfied with what he does. I just think that this team could be much, much better with a better QB. Possibly 4-0. All the other pieces are really good, but the passing game flat out sucks.

A lot of us are not satisfied with a QB who can not stretch the field. However, we don't have that QB at the present time who can do that, according to our Coach. Coach Stoops is not going to pick Gatewood over TW, and I don't think he should at this time. He did give Gatewood some snaps, and that is what a lot of us wanted to see. TW may not be a great QB, but he has proven to be a winner. Hopefully, next year will be the year that we have the QB we are talking about, but I wonder how many will be wishing for someone else, especially when we lose a game we should win. Then everyone will be hollering for Allen. That's just the nature of the beast, or should I say fan?

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

A lot of us are not satisfied with a QB who can not stretch the field. However, we don't have that QB at the present time who can do that, according to our Coach.

Terry Wilson can throw 65 yard TD strikes . . . he did so at UF two years, ago, but it helped a lot having Lynn Bowden being in the same zip code when the 65 yard bomb was headed to the UF seven yard line.

Wilson and our offense are limited by the personnel we have, currently.

Take every receiver on the squad who is a second year player, or more.

They total ONE SEC offer among them, other than their UK offer.

Unlike our O-line, our D-line, our secondary, our linebackers and our backs, there is nary a Sophomore, Junior or Senior receiver who was particularly well-respected coming out of HS.

And they, collectively, have struggled to overcome their modest beginnings.

It is what it is.

Personally, I thought the second half against UT was exactly the kind of offense we should be running. Smart, quick passes that get 8-15 yards. Run effectively. Let the QB keep it a time or two to keep the defense honest. We had a very solid second half and I'd like to see more of it.

Wilson, imo, does not need to 'stretch the field' to the extent many of you think. We don't have the burner on the outside to catch the homerun ball so it's irrelevant to me if TW can stretch the field. If he can consistently throw those seams, slants and fades like he did Saturday, that's all the stretching we need. Just keep the defense honest and we'll move the ball. I actually think it's a wasted play when we ask him to heave the ball long. We almost never complete one. But, hit the TE for 12 yards consistently? Il take that all day.

Last edited:
Look, Im a guy who bitches and whines with the best of them on the basketball board. OAD has long grown stale, the roster turnover isnt the best way to get us to win another title....I can go on and on. We all know the arguments.

But that opinion is grounded mostly in our insane success! Sure, I should be able to sit back and enjoy the ride because of what Cals done. Hes won a ton, and had some amazing tourney runs.

But because our history is what it is, yes, its easy to bitch and want more because we know what UK basketball is capable of and is about.

My point is (no, I didnt forget Im on the Lair) that UK footballs history is what it is. I totally understand on gameday or the week after a game where things go awry expressing frustration. We all do. I sure as hell do.

But some of these people are just downright miserable with whats going on right now. I dont know what the **** UK football youve watched the past 30-40-50-60 whatever years, but if you cant enjoy what UK football is doing right now then I dont know what the hell you want or why you even watch the team.

Do you ever post anything that isn't negative? Just a few snippets from your post history. Don't bother replying, you're going on ignore not worth wasting my time reading this drivel.

UK is last in the SEC in passing. If Terry was the answer the staff would be pushing for him to pass more

I really liked what I saw out of Gatewood yesterday. TW didn’t win us that game, the defense did.

That would have required throwing the football further than 5 yards downfield. Not sure we can do that

Not a program changing win merely makes up for Ole Miss loss.

Well, we only run about 5 plays so not too hard for defense to figure it out

This, aside from a screen pass when was the last time Terry held the ball less than 5 seconds. Takes him forever to get rid of the ball.

This is exactly why UK will never be more than a middle of the pack SEC team under Stoops. He doesn’t have the leadership, discipline...

At this point we’re more likely to win 2 games than 5 games.
Add me to that ignore list also

How dare the PFF to discount all the rocking chair hair brain coaches that know how to coach better than experienced dedicated coaches with years & years of coaching. Just look how long it took for the first negative post. Just normality around here, that's what's so fun here all can express themselves.
Like Joker

Terry’s arm is very strong, but accuracy is low over 50 yards. I’d say terry has the strongest starting arm since JLO.

He is a winner and does what is asked of him at a high level. Can't ask for much more.

Reactions: sambowieshin
The only bs screen pass I remember was a great call that should've been a giant play. Ali had the first down and tons of room but inexplicably decided to cut back instead and fumbled.
2 weeks ago he called 2 screen passes to the long side of the field and Ali got blown up twice. The play calling on the offensive side of the ball has been suspect this year. I don't blame Gran but I wish they'd just let Terry play. He shouldn't be put in a box constantly. He usually has one read and its behind the line of scrimmage 75% of the time.

Only ranks 10th in rushing too...

When you include running backs.

2 weeks ago he called 2 screen passes to the long side of the field and Ali got blown up twice. The play calling on the offensive side of the ball has been suspect this year. I don't blame Gran but I wish they'd just let Terry play. He shouldn't be put in a box constantly. He usually has one read and its behind the line of scrimmage 75% of the time.

They were blown up because our wrs allowed it to happen. They half assed the blocks and the db went right through them to blow up the receiver.

Also it was a game where we had bad terry and he could barely complete a pass at all.

Anyone who still criticizes Gran, especially now, is just a lost case.

I've been a Terry skeptic for a while. But, after Saturday that all changed. I will never doubt the man again.

What Saturday made me realize, it's not Terry's fault Eddie Gran calls BS screen passes that get sniffed out like cookies baking on Christmas eve. It's not Terry's fault his receivers drop balls that hit them right in the chest. All Terry can do is throw a good pass.

Being a QB can be tough. You're almost always blamed when the team lays a egg, regardless of how you played. There could be game that on paper you could have played a terrible game, when the reality could be you threw great passes and your receivers just didn't do their job.

Terry threw some great passes downfield against Tennessee. Dude played very well, and really made no mistakes. That won't happen every game, and he certainly is not perfect. But he's a good QB that can get the job done, and he's proven that time and time again over his career at Kentucky. It took me too long to realize this.
This is more or less what Ive been saying. Not that Terry hasnt messed up or made mistakes. He STILL needs to work on his reads. Several times a game someone will be open and he doesnt see them for some reason. No one backing the guy is saying hes perfect. "If we had a better QB then imagine what this team would be." Well shit, what if we had Dermontti Dawson and Randall Cobb and Danny Trevathan too? Imagine!

Terry made the throws he was asked to make on Saturday. Thats the bottom line. He did it with a high level of efficiency.

Personally, I thought the second half against UT was exactly the kind of offense we should be running. Smart, quick passes that get 8-15 yards. Run effectively. Let the QB keep it a time or two to keep the defense honest. We had a very solid second half and I'd like to see more of it.

Wilson, imo, does not need to 'stretch the field' to the extent many of you think. We don't have the burner on the outside to catch the homerun ball so it's irrelevant to me if TW can stretch the field. If he can consistently throw those seams, slants and fades like he did Saturday, that's all the stretching we need. Just keep the defense honest and we'll move the ball. I actually think it's a wasted play when we ask him to heave the ball long. We almost never complete one. But, hit the TE for 12 yards consistently? Il take that all day.

This. Totally agree

I dont know what the **** UK football youve watched the past 30-40-50-60 whatever years, but if you cant enjoy what UK football is doing right now then I dont know what the hell you want or why you even watch the team.

Makes you wonder, sometimes, if we don’t have a few Cards/Vols who have pulled off 20 year (plus) troll jobs.

Some of the names are long-term posters.

Hell, this is the week after we beat UT in Knoxville the worst since 1893.

Bear Bryant was our greatest Coach: he failed to beat UT in 8 tries.

We scored our biggest point spread victory on the road against a Top 20 team in program history.

We have successive SEC victories with a combined point spread of 49 points for the first time since 1977.

Things could be worse.

Makes you wonder, sometimes, if we don’t have a few Cards/Vols who have pulled off 20 year (plus) troll jobs.

We scored our biggest point spread victory on the road against a Top 20 team in program history.

We have successive SEC victories with a combined point spread of 49 points for the first time since 1977.

Things could be worse.
Hack, whats scary is Wilson is looking more and more comfortable in the shotgun since his knee injury and recovery.
The secondary has shored things up and UK now has big time Momentum!

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack

TW's W-L record is not misleading. As well, for the most part, UK's offense has been converting on third down this year at a high rate. The object of the game is to win.

So does everyone still think Terry is the QB to lead this team? The QB that will have us make the leap from good to great?

Terry is a below average QB, actually, he is below below average.

And I feel sorry for the defense. What a pathetic offensive display.

Reactions: Wildcatfan2381

Things could be worse.
And, today, they just got worse. A hell of a lot worse. We just got dominated (20-10 was the score but it looked more like 50-10 on the field) by a very average team. In terms of talent, Missouri is actually BELOW average by SEC standards, but they do have a good game coach.

And now we are staring 4-6 (3-7 if we can't beat South Carolina, although I think we probably will) right in the face.

Terry is not the problem....

It is the coaching of Stoops....

Terry has a cannon....I've seen him throw lasers the length of the field when he needs to....He can also scramble.

How good of a QB would you be if you knew your coaching staff hates throwing the ball? And never makes it a priority?

Reactions: jnewc2
I feel sorry for him to be honest. It comes with the territory - the quarterback seemingly always gets too much credit or too much blame. He’s a new dad, and has already said he’s not trying to get another year next year, which tells me he’s not in love with the sport. Our offense is really bad. 145 yards today. How many FCS teams have come into Commonwealth over the years - I bet not many of them were held below 150 yards. And it’s not a 1 time fluke thing. We had 157 two games ago. And theres some blame to go around. The play calling leaves something to be desired, the philosophy/system of offense is worse than that, and our WR core is mediocre at best. Still. Terry is a pretty average quarterback. He’s pretty inaccurate, and also tentative. His coaches clearly don’t trust him to make decisions or to try anything other than basic throws. His legs should be a real strength - but even before the knee he was a track guy in a football uniform - great straightaway speed but no ability to make someone miss and he goes down if you get a finger on him. Doering said today that our offense is no better than it was last year, it’s as one dimensional as when Bowden was the QB. And the guy calling the game (was that Stinchcomb?) said since his knee injury TW simply isn’t an effective runner. I don’t know how much of it is play calling or system or chemistry or other things, but just based on what we see, he’s simply a really limited player. The guy before him was also pretty physically limited, but he had an intangible quality that lead us to wins, his results and impact on the team overachieved what he should have done. I know TW has a gaudy w/l record ( by UK standard), but in contrast to Johnson, the team often wins despite him, and not because of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT