ADVERTISEMENT

Totaling making this up... but HOW I might recruit against Kentucky

BlueNotes

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2005
If I was a Coach and a player was down to my school "North East West Southern State" and UK.... this is how I would make the pitch..

1. It's not about playing time - you are a stud athlete and the pros already know what you are capable of - you don't have to play 40 minutes to make a name for yourself. With that... I agree totally with what Kentucky is doing. Playing time is not relevant to the discussion - great players get on the floor.

2. However, its a question about "coaching". If there is an hour of practice that is allowed by the NCAA, the real question is "how much coaching time will you get to become a better player?" Do you want to go to a school where you have to compete for the coach's time? Take that hour of practice time for a coach and then divide it by 6 players or 10 players. Which players do you think will get better coaching.

3. We don't believe in "put them on the court and let them make plays" - we believe in "develop them in practice so they will make better plays". Superior talent doesn't win games - you saw that with Kentucky this year. No one will argue they had they had the most talent - so why didn't they win? At the end of the game - they were individuals not a team. At NEWS State you will be "coached" to become a better player. And that coaching will carry you throughout the balance of your career

In summary, you can be a part of a system at UK, and get your 10 minutes of coaching a week, or at NEWS State you can be a player and get the full attention of our coaching staff!

I think these coaches are playing up the pressure that is placed on you when you go to Kentucky. These coaches are finding guys who might not be comfortable in those situations and pitching them on fine tuning their games in relative obscurity until the NBA comes calling. Throw in a chance to be the "alpha dog" and you have a deadly formula. Seems silly to me though. If you can't handle fans, the media and scrutiny now how could you possibly survive in the NBA?

I think these coaches are playing up the pressure that is placed on you when you go to Kentucky. These coaches are finding guys who might not be comfortable in those situations and pitching them on fine tuning their games in relative obscurity until the NBA comes calling. Throw in a chance to be the "alpha dog" and you have a deadly formula. Seems silly to me though. If you can't handle fans, the media and scrutiny now how could you possibly survive in the NBA?

this is what I am thinking about the current players as well.

I am ticked off that Coach Cal didn't do a little bit of coaching at the end of Wisconsin. If he had run some interior rub off screens I think Karl oculd have gotten free. I blame Cal - I think he got outcoached or more specifically he didn't coach when he needed to.

ADVERTISEMENT