ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Cal Era Shooters

BigKari

Senior
Apr 15, 2014
Not something Cal is known for (and an obsession on this board), UK has still had some very talented shooters over the last decade and some change (Cal’s 13th season!!?? — wow it’s been a ride). This list will consider more than just ranking players by top 3pt% (anyone could do that).

First place is absolutely an argument between 3, maybe even 4 guys…

1. Doron Lamb- Being the most consistent shooter of the bunch, doing it for 2 seasons, and being the leader scorer in the game to secure our 8th National Championship?? There was more than enough to put Doron Lamb head, and maybe even shoulders above the rest.

2. This one is close for me but I’m going with Malik Monk (I actually changed my mind as I was about to type a different name). It’s so close, but his clutch performances and scoring outbursts just edged him into 2nd for me. I was going to go a different direction and point to Monk being less consistent, but really once he got in his groove he became a very consistent scorer and the biggest threat in opposing game plans.

3. Jamal Murray- slightly better shooting percentage than Monk and actually made 9 more threes. Efficiency says give the edge to Murray, but situationally we saw two different players. Murray had many clutch performances, but he was not the absolute cold blooded killer that Monk was.

4. Like I said, this player could even be in consideration for number 1 by some. Brandon Knight. Probably an even more pure shooter than Monk and Murray. A look back at his stats were actually mildly surprising, he was much less efficient from the field than I remembered. I knew his percentages were lower, but I didn’t expect that Knight had made fewer 3s than both Monk and Murray. However, Knight was a consistent threat from 3 and his mid range pull-up game was elite. He was a clutch shooter too, and his mid range game winning jumper over Aaron Craft and Ohio State is to this day one of my fondest Kentucky basketball memories.

5. Immanuel Quickley- His shooting efficiency in his second season is the only one that comes close to Doron Lamb. He was very quiet his first season, but showed flashes of what was to come and actually put together a solid shooting performance on a small sample size. Watching him breakout in his second season and become better and better each and every game was really cool. A deadly, pure shooter.

6. Darius Miller- Miller has the most made 3s on this list. An impressive stat in a distinguished era. Miller had the ability to shoot from anywhere on the floor, and could often take advantage of defensive matchups due to his size and ability to put the ball on the floor. Miller played on 3 incredible teams and was mostly an X-Factor type of player, but a guy you could plug into any team or any lineup and make them instantly better, and his shooting is a big part of that.

7. Aaron Harrison. His clutch performances in the NCAA Tournament mandate that Harrison is included on this list. At first I almost omitted him because of his inconsistency and lack of efficiency, but Aaron Harrison is one of the most clutch shooters in the history of NCAA basketball. He truly wasn’t the pure shooter he was billed to be, but the ability to get your team a bucket can’t go unrecognized.

8. Devin Booker. Always imagined what he could’ve done with a 2nd season at UK. Probably would’ve averaged 25ppg. He is CLEARLY the purest of any shooter Cal has had at UK (and probably ever). Booker gets dropped mostly because of results, and we all know he didn’t truly get to show all he had while he was at Kentucky. He also did not display much of the clutch shooting that the 4 players above him displayed. This isn’t meant to be a slight on Book, as you have to consider he didn’t really have the same clutch opportunities the shooters above him had.

9. Tyler Herro. Not always the most efficient shooter, but he was always a threat and had great shooting stroke. The way he could get to his spots in the mid range and 3pt line, both with the ball and working to get open to catch and shoot, he had an advanced skill set and consistently executed. An extremely confident shooter, his hair trigger ability really worked defenses and made everyone around him better.

10. Derek Willis. Willis had 2 years where he demonstrated his shooting prowess, and was one of the better shooters percentage wise in the Cal era. Definitely more of a spot up shooter than any of the players above him, but his ability to execute those chances put him on this list.

Honorable mentions: Tyler Ulis, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Kyle Wiltjer, James Young, Keldon Johnson, Davion Mintz

Last edited:
Reactions: jrpross
Book is a career 35% shooter from 3. This ranks him about #60 for players that shoot more than 2 threes/game. He ranks 29th in made threes/game. He shoots 44% overall. So yeah, he's not a pure shooter. He's a volume scorer. He's got a nice pull-up 12-15' shot, which is rare.

While at Kentucky, he drove me crazy. Sometimes he was on fire; other times...not so much.

I love him, just not an elite shooter. Went 1 for 8 last game.
True. 1st half of season he was great. I think the kardashian curse kicked in... he is trying to fight it off.

btw. He needs about 30 more points to break the record of points scored in playoffs debut.
That’s pretty damn impressive

Reactions: chroix
There were 9 ex- UK players in the top 100 three-point percentage Shooters this year in the NBA. Had to have at least 47 made threes. Devin Booker was not one of them.

Lamb
Monk
Murray
Booker
Ulis
Quickley
Allen
Miller
Knight
Willis

first 10 I think of. Always thought every shot these dudes took was going in.

I define shooters by how many they make per season, not percentages
Murray
Monk
Knight
Lamb
Quickley
Booker
Ulis
Miller
Young
Herro
Wiltjer

An oversight on my part for not having Allen as an honorable mention. Hope he takes a spot in my top 10 after next season.

As for the Booker “evaluators”, you all are hilarious and really showing your lack of ability to evaluate a basketball player. Some of you would take Davis Bertans over Devin Booker because you see Bertans 40% from 3 in his NBA career. You’re not gonna sit here and tell me Davis Bertans is a better shooter than Devin Booker.

Reactions: RunninRichie
An oversight on my part for not having Allen as an honorable mention. Hope he takes a spot in my top 10 after next season.

As for the Booker “evaluators”, you all are hilarious and really showing your lack of ability to evaluate a basketball player. Some of you would take Davis Bertans over Devin Booker because you see Bertans 40% from 3 in his NBA career. You’re not gonna sit here and tell me Davis Bertans is a better shooter than Devin Booker.
Ummmm, Bertans certainly is a better 3PT shooter at least. Booker has him beat in the mid range pull up game. But Bertans is known as one of the top 3PT shooters in the game.

Just is just my opinion, but, to me, Monk was good, but seemed to disappear a lot. Again, just my opinion.
Monk seemed to be always either exploding or doing nothing. There was very little in between. But man, when he was exploding he was the most prolific scoring guard I’ve ever seen here.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The Booker who played last night isn't the kid who was here. Don't conflate NBA numbers with what they did in blue and white if we're ranking their UK ability.

Think you also have to consider their role. Willis was taking much different types of threes than Knight, for example.

Not sure how I'd rank the whole list quite yet, but Lamb/Murray/Monk are the top three, in that order.

I'm actually not sure Murray and monk weren't better shooters who just had to take much worse shots.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Ummmm, Bertans certainly is a better 3PT shooter at least. Booker has him beat in the mid range pull up game. But Bertans is known as one of the top 3PT shooters in the game.
Proved my point. I’ll take Booker and you can have Bertans. I didn’t see Bertans make any 3s in Game 2 last night.

Last edited:
The Booker who played last night isn't the kid who was here. Don't conflate NBA numbers with what they did in blue and white if we're ranking their UK ability.

Think you also have to consider their role. Willis was taking much different types of threes than Knight, for example.

Not sure how I'd rank the whole list quite yet, but Lamb/Murray/Monk are the top three, in that order.

I'm actually not sure Murray and monk weren't better shooters who just had to take much worse shots.
Exactly. Which is why I ranked Booker 8th because it was solely based on college performance. Let’s not forget he shot 41% from 3 at UK, for most of the season he was a sniper. He would be much higher had he played more minutes.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Book is a career 35% shooter from 3. This ranks him about #60 for players that shoot more than 2 threes/game. He ranks 29th in made threes/game. He shoots 44% overall. So yeah, he's not a pure shooter. He's a volume scorer. He's got a nice pull-up 12-15' shot, which is rare.

While at Kentucky, he drove me crazy. Sometimes he was on fire; other times...not so much.
Kobe was a volume scorer, too. If taking 25 shots/ game is what's best for your team, who really cares?

1) Lamb
2) IQ
3) Monk

Then it could really be just about any of the named people.

One guy that is absolutely top 5 is someone noone mentioned yet - PJ Washington. His last year he shot over 40% and it seemed like he never missed from top of the key. Easy to overlook, but he's absolutely there.

1) Lamb
2) IQ
3) Monk

Then it could really be just about any of the named people.

One guy that is absolutely top 5 is someone noone mentioned yet - PJ Washington. His last year he shot over 40% and it seemed like he never missed from top of the key. Easy to overlook, but he's absolutely there.
I definitely considered PJ as an honorable mention. His poor free throw shooting and very small sample size from 3 kept him off. Same with Wenyen Gabriel, I actually laughed to myself when I realized Wenyen’s game where he made 7 three pointers accounted for 11% of his made 3s over 2 seasons.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Proved my point. I’ll take Booker and you can have Bertans. I didn’t see Bertans make any 3s in Game 2 last night.
What does that have to do with being a better 3PT shooter? Bertans has shot 40%+ the past 3 years while Booker has been around 35%.

What does that have to do with being a better 3PT shooter? Bertans has shot 40%+ the past 3 years while Booker has been around 35%.
That’s fine. You can have the better percentage guy, I’ll take the better shooter, Devin Booker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT