ADVERTISEMENT

Too early to write off Matthew Hurt?

I'd much rather have McDaniels, or even go small with Brooks/Jeffries at the forward spots.

Obviously you don't turn down a top 10 kid, but you can't take everyone and if given my choice, give me scorers who can also switch the pick and roll and hit the boards.

My number 1 choice - Vernon Carey and James Wiseman

My number 2 choice - Wiseman and Kofi Cockburn

My number 3 choice - Carey and Kofi Cockburn

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I didn’t realize people hated him so much. I hear a lot of complaints about Cal missing on the top 10 guys, and Hurt’s composite rating is 6th in his class. He’s an extremely smooth scorer in a 6’9” body who will make a great draft pick and do a lot of good work as a stretch 4.

I’m guessing the response is Kevin Knox Syndrome. If he looks like a lock to another school, then he’s overrated and we don’t want him. But if he should pick Kentucky, the praise will be effusive.

I didn’t realize people hated him so much. I hear a lot of complaints about Cal missing on the top 10 guys, and Hurt’s composite rating is 6th in his class. He’s an extremely smooth scorer in a 6’9” body who will make a great draft pick and do a lot of good work as a stretch 4.

I’m guessing the response is Kevin Knox Syndrome. If he looks like a lock to another school, then he’s overrated and we don’t want him. But if he should pick Kentucky, the praise will be effusive.

I don't think anyone hates him. Truth be told, racist or not, I just don't think a lot of people want to go the "unathletic white 4 man" route again after the Wiltjer debacle. Anyone who's 6'8+ and is white is instantly a Wiltjer 2.0.

Granted, no one's comparing Hurt to Tracy McGrady, but the kid is FAR from another Wiltjer. If we're doing the white guy comparison thing, I'd say he's much closer to TJ Leaf who kicked ours and everyone elses ass. When I saw Wiltjer in person and on video, he was a big man who could hit the 3 and had a ridiculous number of post moves, most of which were up and unders, to fake out longer more athletic big men and he'd obviously shoot the 3 as well. He could bring the ball up the court as well as pass but he was never ever a primary ball handler. Wiltjer couldn't even spell the word defense. Hurt on the other hand is 5 times as athletic and mobile as Wiltjer and plays above the rim better and can still shoot. He blocks shots and rebounds better though maybe not as "skilled" but is still incredibly skilled.

Ultimately, even at number 6, there are a lot of other players we're after who just fit UK better. That being said, I still want him if we miss on others.

The funny thing about recruiting is that every top school thinks that it will get every top recruit it wants. The difference is that Coach Cal not only can get 90% of those top recruits but he can get them to play as a team and work on the defensive end almost every year.

I don't think anyone hates him. Truth be told, racist or not, I just don't think a lot of people want to go the "unathletic white 4 man" route again after the Wiltjer debacle. Anyone who's 6'8+ and is white is instantly a Wiltjer 2.0.

Granted, no one's comparing Hurt to Tracy McGrady, but the kid is FAR from another Wiltjer. If we're doing the white guy comparison thing, I'd say he's much closer to TJ Leaf who kicked ours and everyone elses ass. When I saw Wiltjer in person and on video, he was a big man who could hit the 3 and had a ridiculous number of post moves, most of which were up and unders, to fake out longer more athletic big men and he'd obviously shoot the 3 as well. He could bring the ball up the court as well as pass but he was never ever a primary ball handler. Wiltjer couldn't even spell the word defense. Hurt on the other hand is 5 times as athletic and mobile as Wiltjer and plays above the rim better and can still shoot. He blocks shots and rebounds better though maybe not as "skilled" but is still incredibly skilled.

Ultimately, even at number 6, there are a lot of other players we're after who just fit UK better. That being said, I still want him if we miss on others.

Our opinions differ a little, but not a lot. As you said, I see much more TJ Leaf and even Kevin Knox in Hurt’s game than Wiltjer. And Cal has really been digging the stretch 4 thing recently: Lyles, Willis, Gabriel, Knox, Montgomery. Players like this pair extremely well with guards like Fox, SGA, and Hagans. Add a brute center like Carey, and you’ll really have something special.

Reactions: Jazzycat
Our opinions differ a little, but not a lot. As you said, I see much more TJ Leaf and even Kevin Knox in Hurt’s game than Wiltjer. And Cal has really been digging the stretch 4 thing recently: Lyles, Willis, Gabriel, Knox, Montgomery. Players like this pair extremely well with guards like Fox, SGA, and Hagans. Add a brute center like Carey, and you’ll really have something special.

But according to Factcheck, Carey is a 4 and is gonna play the 4 in college..

Nah, he's just built like a 12 year old with below average length and average athleticism. He's too weak to play the post and too slow to play on the wing.

So unless you want to cater to him and run him in the high post with the occasional pick and pop, I'd rather have a guy who can defend and rebound, especially when this class has guys who can do those things *and* that are talented offensively.

He's a good fit at Kansas where he can play 3 years and get a favorable whistle. He's a really good player, obviously. But there are highly ranked kids every year who aren't as good as their rankings or that wouldn't fit here.

I think he's one of them. Cal seems to still be recruiting him, and if that isn't just token due diligence, he clearly disagrees with me. He knows more than I do. So we'll see.

Nah, he's just built like a 12 year old with below average length and average athleticism. He's too weak to play the post and too slow to play on the wing.

So unless you want to cater to him and run him in the high post with the occasional pick and pop, I'd rather have a guy who can defend and rebound, especially when this class has guys who can do those things *and* that are talented offensively.

He's a good fit at Kansas where he can play 3 years and get a favorable whistle. He's a really good player, obviously. But there are highly ranked kids every year who aren't as good as their rankings or that wouldn't fit here.

I think he's one of them. Cal seems to still be recruiting him, and if that isn't just token due diligence, he clearly disagrees with me. He knows more than I do. So we'll see.
You are describing Luke Maye.. remember him? The white kid from North Carolina that ripped our hearts out two years ago?

Reactions: FactCheckerUSA
I understand he's 6'9" but could he play the 3 ala Knox? I understand he's not Knox, but if we were to have a spoil of riches and be lucky enough to land Wiseman, Carey and Hurt, would Hurts game fit a midrange 3? Especially since some are calling him a little week to be a down low banger.

You are describing Luke Maye.. remember him? The white kid from North Carolina that ripped our hearts out two years ago?

No I'm not, because Luke Maye is strong and a tenacious rebounder. He also had time to sit and develop, and Carolina had the luxury of him being an in-state walk on. The only thing they have in common is that they're both white and are limited athletically.

I'm sure Matthew Hurt will look a lot different at age 21 too. In the meantime, and for our purposes, I'll take other kids instead.

I understand he's 6'9" but could he play the 3 ala Knox? I understand he's not Knox, but if we were to have a spoil of riches and be lucky enough to land Wiseman, Carey and Hurt, would Hurts game fit a midrange 3? Especially since some are calling him a little week to be a down low banger.

No. Knox had a long frame and was a fluid, powerful athlete. And even he would have been better suited as a stretch 4. He just wasn't engaged enough mentally yet.

He's a weak Kyle Singler. Which can be a productive player, even as a freshman. Because he's a really good shooter and a great passer. But he's not a 3 physically. Can't guard it and won't create much off the bounce.

Reactions: jrpross
No I'm not, because Luke Maye is strong and a tenacious rebounder. He also had time to sit and develop, and Carolina had the luxury of him being an in-state walk on. The only thing they have in common is that they're both white and are limited athletically.

I'm sure Matthew Hurt will look a lot different at age 21 too. In the meantime, and for our purposes, I'll take other kids instead.
I would take Hurt over Vanderbilt every day

Reactions: seccats04

Hurt is a stud. Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional.

But according to Factcheck, Carey is a 4 and is gonna play the 4 in college..

No... I said Duke is recruiting him to play the 4. I never said he was going to end up at Duke, or end up playing the 4.

Real talk, do you have a learning disability? Because not only have you posted nothing but incorrect recruiting info over the last week, but now you apparently aren't even capable of reading what I post and repeating it correctly.

At first I was getting annoyed by all the BS you posted. But if you are handicapped in some way, I don't want to keep piling on you if you're trying your best.

Hurt is a stretch 4. You play him at the 3, you better play zone defense because real wings are gonna blow by him all game long.

Give me Brooks and or Mcdaniels and Hurt can walk. And funny how easisy some dismiss Vanderbilt wit the "blah blah id take Hurt over JV yada yada" for one we never saw a 100% healthy JV. Id imagine if we did he would put the clamps all over Hurt. And would be better everywhere except shooting the ball.

Hurt is a stretch 4. You play him at the 3, you better play zone defense because real wings are gonna blow by him all game long.
Knox is supposedly a great athlete with a long wing span but either couldn’t or wouldn’t play defense and Cal didn’t zone much. If we land Hurt I don’t suspect he will then either.

ADVERTISEMENT