ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Barbee doing work on the recruiting trail

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
No one commits for a assistant. They build a relationship and head coach closes the deal. But Barbee within the Tennessee and Texas areas both are what he does best. He did hc Texas El paso, and was one of cals original star recruiter at Memphis. So I imagine those are areas he's very strong in. But don't discredit Justus because like it's been told when he came on board he was apart of a change in philosophy where we recruited a bit earlier than prior so he laid some groundwork that wasn't previously needed when Duke wasn't recruiting at Kentucky levels
That's not entirely true. The assistant is the main contact and coach puts yhem over the top. Knox was saying the other day cal was a bonus as he has a super strong relationship with ok like most of the guys do. Cal does close but I think the assistant plays a bigger role than u think

Is there a "Lighten Up Francis" meme or gif somewhere? Good lord. I get away from politics to talk UK basketball because everyone is the expert, but this is just as bad if not worse.

Look I don't care if they have the Stay Puff Marshmallow man being the lead recruiter !! As long as were getting the kids we need to compete for a national championship every year !! I think Cal had seen enough and shook somethings up !

Reactions: Ky grandpa
When Antigua left, our recruiting took a slight dip, and duke caught up. Up until now when a single tweet comes out, Barbee hasn’t really been linked to any top flight recruits the way Payne, Antigua, and even Joel have. Barbee also didn’t exactly knock it out of the park in recruiting when he was at auburn.

Put all that together and it’s not really hard to see why people thought Barbee wasn’t a great recruiter.

If he’s that terrible then why hasn’t Cal given him the boot?

When Antigua left, our recruiting took a slight dip, and duke caught up. Up until now when a single tweet comes out, Barbee hasn’t really been linked to any top flight recruits the way Payne, Antigua, and even Joel have. Barbee also didn’t exactly knock it out of the park in recruiting when he was at auburn.

Put all that together and it’s not really hard to see why people thought Barbee wasn’t a great recruiter.
You are making several superficial assumptions. You are assuming that Antigua’s departure from UK is somehow related to Duke signing a couple of strong classes. You are also assuming that a fan can reliably understand what is happening behind the scenes by reading tweets. But you are also overlooking some facts. For 1 thing, please name 1 top prospect signed by Antigua at Illinois or South Florida. (He hasn’t signed any. How can that be?) For another thing, Barbee travels all over the country with Calipari on recruiting trips. Do people think Barbee is a potted plant? Tweets are not factual news. Barbee is an important member of Calipari’s staff. I have met him, and I was impressed. Fans have no idea what happens on the recruiting trail, but many hang on every tweet like it is an opiate or something.

Reactions: anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
I still think Barbee is garbage and want Antiqua back. Be glad when someone else hires Barbee.
When Antigua left UK, he lost the benefits of our brand. So I ask the following question in complete seriousness. What has Antigua accomplished since leaving UK that would cause any rational UK fan to want him back? From my point of view, he has made himself almost toxic. And if Calipari wanted Antigua back, it would happen. Please share with us what Barbee has done to justify your statement that he is “garbage”. Barbee’s expertise has made UK’s teams stronger and more versatile defensively, and he had a big hand in SGA’s development. I have met him, and he is an impressive man. Have you met this man whom you call “garbage”?

You are making several superficial assumptions. You are assuming that Antigua’s departure from UK is somehow related to Duke signing a couple of strong classes. You are also assuming that a fan can reliably understand what is happening behind the scenes by reading tweets. But you are also overlooking some facts. For 1 thing, please name 1 top prospect signed by Antigua at Illinois or South Florida. (He hasn’t signed any. How can that be?) For another thing, Barbee travels all over the country with Calipari on recruiting trips. Do people think Barbee is a potted plant? Tweets are not factual news. Barbee is an important member of Calipari’s staff. I have met him, and I was impressed. Fans have no idea what happens on the recruiting trail, but many hang on every tweet like it is an opiate or something.

This post is pretty ironic given that the sole basis for this thread is a single tweet praising Barbee’s recruiting game lately.

I agree that Antigua hasn’t killed it on the recruiting trail at south Florida or Illinois. But he did while he was at Kentucky. Again, up until now, Barbee didn’t have that reputation.

I remember when some were calling for Barbee to be replaced, really I don't think any of us know the situation good enough to say those things. I always said I trust Cal on that and Barbee is still here so Cal must want him here and the job he is doing must be making Cal happy. Some of the fans think they know who can make the program better but this just shows Cal knows who does what.

1. All are welcome to in the Ignore Club. Save yourself the grief and use it.

2. Recruiting relationships take time. You can't hire a guy in May who wasn't at an elite place building relationships with the top kids and expect him to land a huge haul in his first recruiting class or two.

People said this about Justus and wanted him gone too. Until the class that he was laying the groundwork with rolls around and we find out he's a major factor in their decisions.

It's why you'll see even the magnificent greatest coach and recruiter of all time Penny Hardaway only land Memphis kids and guys he has coached at first. Relationships.

1. All are welcome to in the Ignore Club. Save yourself the grief and use it.

2. Recruiting relationships take time. You can't hire a guy in May who wasn't at an elite place building relationships with the top kids and expect him to land a huge haul in his first recruiting class or two.

People said this about Justus and wanted him gone too. Until the class that he was laying the groundwork with rolls around and we find out he's a major factor in their decisions.

It's why you'll see even the magnificent greatest coach and recruiter of all time Penny Hardaway only land Memphis kids and guys he has coached at first. Relationships.

Barbee has about a decade of coaching experience on Justus. They’ve been at UK about the same length of time. Yet, somehow, Justus already has a better reputation than Barbee as a recruiter. I don’t think that’s all due to just not having enough time to build relationships.

Barbee has just never gained a reputation as an elite recruiter. Not at Memphis under Cal, not at Kentucky (so far). Just hasn’t. Maybe that’ll change going forward.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
This post is pretty ironic given that the sole basis for this thread is a single tweet praising Barbee’s recruiting game lately.

I agree that Antigua hasn’t killed it on the recruiting trail at south Florida or Illinois. But he did while he was at Kentucky. Again, up until now, Barbee didn’t have that reputation.
That is your opinion. Based on what? Someone’s tweets? You should be more careful about calling someone “garbage”, especially someone you don’t know. I think highly of Barbee. And unlike you, I have met him. Barbee has made important improvements in Calipari’s defensive teachings and methodology. And contrary to what you believe, Barbee has actually been an important participant in Calipari’s prospect evaluation regimen. He has also been the primary recruiter for Maxey, Jeffries. Who has Orlando Antigua recruited since leaving UK? Nobody.

That is your opinion. Based on what? Someone’s tweets? You should be more careful about calling someone “garbage”, especially someone you don’t know. I think highly of Barbee. And unlike you, I have met him. Barbee has made important improvements in Calipari’s defensive teachings and methodology. And contrary to what you believe, Barbee has actually been an important participant in Calipari’s prospect evaluation regimen. He has also been the primary recruiter for Maxey, Jeffries. Who has Orlando Antigua recruited since leaving UK? Nobody.

I never said he was “garbage”. You should be more careful about using quotation marks when you don’t understand how to do so properly.

I already said Antigua hasn’t recruited well since he left UK.

I don’t place much importance on your personal impression of meeting Barbee because you come across as an oaf.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
I never said he was “garbage”. You should be more careful about using quotation marks when you don’t understand how to do so properly.

I already said Antigua hasn’t recruited well since he left UK.

I don’t place much importance on your personal impression of meeting Barbee because you come across as an oaf.
You should also be careful about saying that another person comes across as an oaf. Your posts reflect poorly on the knowledge and thought processes of their author.

Coach 2 doesnt have a clue what he's talking about.. Cal absolutely was going to hire Penny ........... All the talk was that we were gonna get Barbee to find another job and then go get Penny... Then all the Memphis rumors started.

And how many top players has your boy Barbee landed here? ZERO. Antiqua had us top 5 players every year. I don’t care what he’s done since he left. I know what he did here and it’s a hell of a lot more than Barbee. Since you wanna play that game, wth did Barbee do away from here and on his own? That’s right, not a damn thing.

He’s solely here because he’s Cal’s boy and former player.

Why are some acting like this is different than before? We've been recruiting these 5 stars great like this since Cal got here......... its the top 5 players that's fallen off here recently....

Now lets get Wiseman... or Carey.. or even root for Maxey to jump into the top 5 ...

And how many top players has your boy Barbee landed here? ZERO. Antiqua had us top 5 players every year. I don’t care what he’s done since he left. I know what he did here and it’s a hell of a lot more than Barbee. Since you wanna play that game, wth did Barbee do away from here and on his own? That’s right, not a damn thing.

He’s solely here because he’s Cal’s boy and former player.

Do you think he’s a hindrance to the program ? Honest question Because i can’t see cal allowing a guy making hundreds of thousands of $$ being a recruiter solely for being “his boy”

Also, I think it’s no coincidence that Dukes recruiting picked up exponentially when Capel was there (and it’s been PROVEN Duke/ Nike cheated by providing a million $ home for the bagleys as well as tuition for a private school attended literally by millionaire celebrities)

Now that Capel is gone from Duke and the whole FBI probe stuff (zona/ Ayton etc) Cal/UK have been EVERYWHERE on the recruiting trail. I don’t think it’s fair to blame Barbee and act as if he’s some loser scrub when it comes to recruiting

Granted , I miss Orlando and think he was better, but still ...

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Do you think he’s a hindrance to the program ? Honest question Because i can’t see cal allowing a guy making hundreds of thousands of $$ being a recruiter solely for being “his boy”

Also, I think it’s no coincidence that Dukes recruiting picked up exponentially when Capel was there (and it’s been PROVEN Duke/ Nike cheated by providing a million $ home for the bagleys as well as tuition for a private school attended literally by millionaire celebrities)

Now that Capel is gone from Duke and the whole FBI probe stuff (zona/ Ayton etc) Cal/UK have been EVERYWHERE on the recruiting trail. I don’t think it’s fair to blame Barbee and act as if he’s some loser scrub when it comes to recruiting

Granted , I miss Orlando and think he was better, but still ...
I don’t know that he’s actually a hindrance but I don’t think he’s good enough to be here. He sure has provided the same results as Antiqua. That said, I just want Orlando back. Nobody would be able to measure up to him for me.

You actually think your moronic statements upset me? [roll] You’re just an Internet tough guy who wouldn’t have the balls to say any of your trash to someone’s face. Bottom feeders like you don’t fall far from the tree.
I’d have zero problem saying any of this to your face. You might be able to whoop my ass, doubt it, but it’d be worth it to say it in front of you.

I don’t know that he’s actually a hindrance but I don’t think he’s good enough to be here. He sure has provided the same results as Antiqua. That said, I just want Orlando back. Nobody would be able to measure up to him for me.

I’d have zero problem saying any of this to your face. You might be able to whoop my ass, doubt it, but it’d be worth it to say it in front of you.
Antigua is extremely good. However always the closer is Cal and often Payne. Antigua built relationships to get them close, much like the relationship between the Houston hoops aau program with Barbee and how strong he is in Tennessee. He was cals best recruiter at Memphis before he went to Texas El paso. Justus wasn't expected much because he was new to recruiting so they had him focus on evaluating a couple classes ahead while he kindled relationships.

Not sure any of them can brag too much about Maxey. When asked if UK was recruiting him at one point, he said no but I wish they would. He apparently had UK on his mind before he was on ours.

Doesn’t really matter now, does it?

ADVERTISEMENT