ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Barbee doing work on the recruiting trail

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
This is Cal and Payne... as Matt Jones said a few weeks ago.... Cal didnt like how recruiting was going so he started working even harder to take the ropes himself and get things done.
So Barbee doesn't deserve praise for being lead recruiter?

Reactions: floatingyou
Not sure any of them can brag too much about Maxey. When asked if UK was recruiting him at one point, he said no but I wish they would. He apparently had UK on his mind before he was on ours.

Jefferies and Maxey are all cal. Land wiseman and you can thank Justus and cal. I think Payne always plays a roll but I’m skeptical of how effective barbee really is

This is Cal and Payne... as Matt Jones said a few weeks ago.... Cal didnt like how recruiting was going so he started working even harder to take the ropes himself and get things done.

I thought it’s been reported by a few that Barbee had a big hand in Hagans , Maxey and is in on Wisemen as well ? (Pic of Barbee, Cal and wisemen in Wisemens living room?)

Jefferies and Maxey are all cal. Land wiseman and you can thank Justus and cal. I think Payne always plays a roll but I’m skeptical of how effective barbee really is
You're skeptical because you have no idea of the inner workings of this recruitment or any others for that matter.

Why would you say DJ and Maxey are all Cal? Fisher said Barbee lead recruiter for both. According to Fisher he just pulled two huge 5 star but you are skeptical

You're skeptical because you have no idea of the inner workings of this recruitment or any others for that matter.

You know nothing either. But let’s put it this way. Maxey said he called cal. He didn’t say cal was asleep so he called barbee. He called cal that tells you all you need to know. And the fact that the commit came on the heels of cal visiting. Barbee could be a stuffed animal cal is the lead recruiter make no mistake

Reactions: trojanhorse1
You know nothing either. But let’s put it this way. Maxey said he called cal. He didn’t say cal was asleep so he called barbee. He called cal that tells you all you need to know. And the fact that the commit came on the heels of cal visiting. Barbee could be a stuffed animal cal is the lead recruiter make no mistake
Cal is a recruiter and the closer on all recruitments. Everybody knows that. Someone has to develop and maintain the relationship with the recruit. What's so hard to understand about that? You're just looking for something to argue about.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL is there a contest to see how silly we can sound going on I wasn't aware of ? Actually Jefferies and maxey are Cal and Barbee just like when Payne and Cal are focused on a kid and then he signs it is all Cal and Payne . It is never one thing or one coach . It is a plethora of things that come together to sign a kid . Barbee has done a hell of a job lately recruiting . Obviously Cal isn't going to have a coach out recruiting who can't recruit . While Payne IMO is the best assistant in college we have a few other really good ones as well.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Cal is a recruiter and the closer on all recruitments. Everybody knows that. Someone has to develop and maintain the relationship with the recruit. What's so hard to understand about that? You're just looking for something to argue about.

Nope just downplaying the significance of barbee. Like I said you can put stuffed animal in that role and cal will still get his guy

Our recruiting fell off when Barbie signed on and then Cal got bent because Duke signed the top three. Then recruiting took off and Barber is the reason why? It feels like a situation where Cal is giving the credit to someone he’s trying to help.

Maybe it is Barbee and he’s more effective since the FBI has cooled schools on paying players, either way it’s a win for UK.

Our recruiting fell off when Barbie signed on and then Cal got bent because Duke signed the top three. Then recruiting took off and Barber is the reason why? It feels like a situation where Cal is giving the credit to someone he’s trying to help.

Maybe it is Barbee and he’s more effective since the FBI has cooled schools on paying players, either way it’s a win for UK.
It wasn't Cal who gave Barbee credit. It's Chris Fisher. Read the original post. You just want to be negative.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood

All of this is literally speculation on your part

I think there's a lot at play with Kentucky recruiting lately.

Cal making ground on K in recent years, Justus, the FBI/NCAA prob..

Or who knows, maybe it was just a few years where Coach K had a few connections..

I still think Barbee is garbage and want Antiqua back. Be glad when someone else hires Barbee.

Last edited:
When Antigua left, our recruiting took a slight dip, and duke caught up. Up until now when a single tweet comes out, Barbee hasn’t really been linked to any top flight recruits the way Payne, Antigua, and even Joel have. Barbee also didn’t exactly knock it out of the park in recruiting when he was at auburn.

Put all that together and it’s not really hard to see why people thought Barbee wasn’t a great recruiter.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
All of this is literally speculation on your part
Yet your info is rock solid proof just because Fisher said so, at least mine makes sense. All the talk has been about Barbees lack of recruiting and now he’s suddenly the main guy on all our gets, whatever.

Secondly I’m almost always positive but by all means run around claiming anybody that doesn’t agree with you is wanting to be negative. Lastly why is it so upsetting to you and that other poster if some don’t believe Barbee is now a great recruiter?

Barbee has always been considered one of the best assistants in the game. The issue was always his firepower for the most prestigious recruits, something Antigua had that Barbee hasn't been able to land. On top of it Capel dominated that spot, and the nike situation with Duke and then Adidas, I think it's a lot for Barbee to recruit for Cal. It's hard for anyone, it's the tallest order.

He did good work on these, if he stays at UK we need him to climb higher though. He's not cutting it where we need him to. 10-30 recruits commit for Cal and our system, not an assistant.

Reactions: kev69
No one commits for a assistant. They build a relationship and head coach closes the deal. But Barbee within the Tennessee and Texas areas both are what he does best. He did hc Texas El paso, and was one of cals original star recruiter at Memphis. So I imagine those are areas he's very strong in. But don't discredit Justus because like it's been told when he came on board he was apart of a change in philosophy where we recruited a bit earlier than prior so he laid some groundwork that wasn't previously needed when Duke wasn't recruiting at Kentucky levels

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT