ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight a glamour position steals the Heisman from its rightful winner

Josh was not even t10 in voting. A shame really.. but he did get some well deserved accolades.
Only one defensive player and it was Quinnen Williams who even received a 1st place vote.

its been a joke ever sense you have to be on a winning team to get the trophy.

seriously, a defensive player, and from Kentucky? The Heisman is a beauty contest. It goes to beautiful players playing for beautiful teams.
Agree, but, in my long history of following UK, this is the most 'beautiful' team with some of the most 'beautiful' players in my lifetime.

Reactions: The-Hack
A guy had 22 sacks one year and didn't win it. Charles Woodson will he last defensive player ever to win it.

A guy had 22 sacks one year and didn't win it. Charles Woodson will he last defensive player ever to win it.
And Woodson was 20+ years ago. Other than being a great DB in college, wasn't another 'claim to fame' for him is that he also played some offense? So, although primarily a defensive player, I'm sure that being a 2 way player didn't hurt with the Heisman voters.

The heisman is pageantry for teams that mostly run high octane offenses, that Allen wasn’t considered one of the best players relegated it to something other than what it was intended to be. It’s also just as much one of the best team awards more than it is individual, if Allen played for one of the playoff teams then he would have been considered and that’s not right.

The Heisman is a QB/RB award always has been. Only exception was Woodson. He played special teams and some offense and he also played for Michigan which helped. It seems to have lost its luster the last few years. They just need to come out and say it’s for the QB or RB that play on a playoff contending team.

It’s surprising and a little interesting that until Mark Ingram Alabama had never had a Heisman winner. For all the love they get with the media they sure as hell don’t get it with the Heisman voters.

To show exactly how pathetic the voting is:

Think about that. Thirteen voters didn't have Tua on their ballot AT ALL.

So yes Josh should've been top 5 and gotten an invite. But seeing how it played out, pretty obvious votes were based on agendas and not performance

Reactions: Chuckinden
The Heisman is a QB/RB award always has been.

So true, and look at the damn trophy; seems to imply a guy carrying the ball. [Yes, a defensive player could carry it occassionally].

I think what we are complaining about has been partially redressed by the creation on the awards Josh and others have won, awards created in the 90’s, as defensive players.

I’d be happy if they just redesignated the Heisman as being an offensive award.

ADVERTISEMENT